Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 1

Shin

Castle Gaffney

Castle Gaffney was easily the largest and most heavily invested structure in the kingdom of Wyke. Residing on the outskirts of the capital of Hull, it was a symbol of both the presence and status of the royal family. The grounds were well guarded, easily sporting one hundred guards over its several acres. The winter had been relatively mild, a good sign for the following spring.

It had been several days since King Oswald had appeared for meals, let alone the royal court. He had made few appearances over the winter, choosing instead to resign himself to his room. Questioning the servants had proved fruitless, they would only say that he was currently resting. Even Queen Eowa was reluctant to divulge much to her children, saying that their father was tackling a minor cold. Rumours began spreading among the nobles, possibly suggesting that Oswald was going to kick the bucket in the near future.

At last, during the second week of spring, Owen and Cassandra, along with their loyal retainer, Lionel, were summoned to the King’s quarters, with little warning beforehand.

As the trio entered the door, it was clear things were not as they should be. Oswald lay propped up in his bed, appearing rather worse for wear. His beard, usually trim and proper, had become unkempt and scraggly – and far whiter than it seemed before the winter. His eyes lacked their usual stoic gaze, the pair seeing their father vulnerable for the first time. With two servants at his side, he beckoned his visitors forward.

“Owen, Cassandra, my children.” He called out weakly. “Forgive my secrecy, but I did not want to distract you from your courtly duties. I must face the cruelty of time, I am no longer a young man, and I am growing weaker and frailer with each year.”

Oswald stopped to cough, the old man leaning forwards and barking harshly. The servants at Oswald’s sides approached him, but he raised a hand, denying their attempts.

“I did not bring you hear to lament my poor health. I do not feel like departing from this world just yet, I must see you both grow and become adults. Instead, Owen, I have a task that you must perform for me. There have been tales from the western coast… Baron Gewaint Dettard has been making expeditions to Magonsaete… spending more time there than in Wyke of recent. I need you to speak to him, Owen. I would do so myself, but I am unable to leave the castle. Lionel, you shall accompany him. Bring some of the knights with you, I fear that there may be some treachery afoot.”

Owen, Cassandra and Lionel are free to post!

The House of Herman

Whilst not quite as impressive as the royal palace, the status of the Herman family was enough to maintain a relatively luxurious abode. Duke Herman, as head of the royal guard was often absent from his home, attending to his duties.

In a striking parallel to the Gaffneys, the Herman children had been summoned by their father, to his personal study. Duke Herman was a solid fellow, standing six feet tall and sporting a moustache of a true gentleman. Still in good health, despite having past his prime, he stood proud, awaiting his children.

Adeltrudis, Graham, thank you for coming.” He announced, offering the pair two chairs to sit on. “You know I have your best interests at heart, despite how it may seem to one of you at times. As you both know, you are the future of our duchy, it will be in your hands when I pass away. There will be a time that you will have families of your own to manage. Graham, your children will go on to continue our line. Adeltrudis… you may not succeed me directly, but you will still represent our family. We may have our disagreements, but I think I have found someone suitable for you. He is a noble from Toulouse, and has ties that will strengthen our family’s reputation. He should be arriving shortly, he is of good stock and quite the character.”

Adele and Graham are free to post!

Edited by Shin

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If the only reason you called me in was to attempt to sell me to another insufferable knave who thinks himself of worth only because of his coffers, then I'll be leaving, Father." Adeltrudis shot back at the man, voice laced with venom, almost immediately as he finished speaking, not even bothering to take her seat before wheeling about on her heel and beginning to walk towards the doors of the study.

A meeting with Father, hm? Cass didn't exactly mind getting taken away from her lessons for it. Truth be told, it was rare that they ever got a moment to speak with him outside of court. He was very busy, and while it may have seemed like he didn't care about them, he was always doing what he could to keep their teaching as best as it could be. So while she didn't have a perfect relationship with him, it was exciting to be able to see him like this.

That was, until they were allowed into the room. She hadn't seen him recently, but she knew about his failing health. For it to be this bad, though? It took some will power to stay herself and not rush over to him, taking a step and then stopping herself. It would've been out of place, to do something like that in front of his servants and the rest of her family. He was still a respectable man, and sickness or not, he had his pride, so doting over him like that would not do. Instead she turned to listen to what he had to say, about them growing old, and about Owen and Lionel having business with Baron Gewaint. What he didn't mention was her name, amongst the lot. So while it might've been rather poor to go against him...

"Father... You seem to have forgotten to mention me. Of course, I will be going with Owen and Lionel... Yes? Surely, I would be able to help them more there, than I would sitting inside the castle." She figured she knew what his answer would be, but she couldn't just keep quiet and not press it. She had ideas for if he said no, anyway, but the less struggle the better. So, there she went, hoping against hope for an answer she was very sure she wasn't going to get.

Edited by I have opinions

Graham visibly tensed as his father noted his intentions for both himself and Adele for the long-term. His children were to continue the family's lineage, while Adele was essentially to be sold off to some other house. And, while such was to be expected, Graham wasn't exactly thrilled at either prospect - the matters of court affairs were far from his strong suit, and he was in no way wanting to see his sister end up forcibly married into the house of someone she didn't wish to be. As the knight expected, his sister was not exactly open-mindedly receptive to such news, as she had already made to leave the study.

He, however, remained steadfast, trying to show his strength and resolve. After all, his duty to both family and country came first, even before his own wishes. Though he wasn't exactly unwilling to speak out.

"Father, I thank you for the chance to carry on the Herman name. But, with all due respect... you know as well as I do that Adele is not just a bargaining chip to gain the trust of other nobles, foreign or otherwise. Not to mention that she is a free woman, of an age where she is able to make her own choices. With that in mind, Father... why do you insist on trying to give my sister away to other men before she is willing to settle with one?"

Normally, someone so honour-bound as Graham would have simply sat down, listened to what his father may have had to say afterwards, and then left quietly. However, family came first, and Adele was the person in his family that he was closest to. Even still, he was exasperated with her lack of cooperation in the affair - which, in turn, dragged it on and on, bringing guests in and out of their home on such a regular basis to the point that he felt as though he were living in the town's inn - and turned towards Adele to speak to her as well.

"And you, dear sister. Why are you so unwilling to at least meet these people Father has gone out of his way to find for you? Much as I dislike the process that you've been thrown into, your lack of cooperation in the matter is the reason why it has dragged on for as long as it has. Can you not at least humour Father if only to minimize the amount of grief that the whole thing causes for all involved?"

"A royal summons? Something must be amiss.." Lionel thought as he walked towards the kings chamber, could it be in regards to what he had heard from his Kylander kin in the past few days?

Lionel had been an adviser to the Gaffney clan for about a decade now, after his exploits in his home region owned by the Kylanders, King Oswald only called this sort of private meeting if there was something dire or rather troubling to discuss. He hadn't seen the king for quite some time, even at court. Owen had seemed troubled by this, he and Cassandra rarely got to see their father as is. Despite the fact that he cared, all Lionel could do was walk into the room to see what the king wanted.

At the moment he entered the royal chamber, his fears had been realized when they saw Oswald in a much weakened state.. "My Lord..." is all Lionel could manage to say, in quite the quiet and distressed manner, before he and the heirs (who walked in after), were addressed by the king.

He listened to the Kings explanation and was at least pleased to hear the King intended on fighting on at least for a bit longer, Lionel thought to himself "This will give Owen more time to learn, and grow confident. What I was most afraid of has not come to pass". However what was distressing was the news of Baron Gewaint's expeditions, The Gewaints were in the western region of Wyke. A noble family who has resided there for quite a number of generations and were also the Kylanders main allies in repelling attacks from Magonsate.

Lionel briefly bowed after the King had finished his orders, Cassandra had spoken out about also joining the company, she always wanted to find ways outside of the castle, but this situation was different. Her brother was possibly going into a dangerous situation and she wanted to support him. Lionel understood this, but was reluctant to voice this to the king. "Princess.. I understand your plight, I feel its too dangerous for two members of the royal family to be possibly walking into danger, but I will say that I feel you are old enough for something like this and skilled enough. I will leave the choice up to your family however"

Lionel cleared his throat before speaking again. This time towards King Oswald "Regardless of your decision I will begin preparations for our departure as soon as I share something with your two next of kin here"

He took a bit of a breath before starting "As you undoubtedly know, the Gewaints are the Kylanders closest cooperatives in repelling the Magonsate attacks yes? Well I had heard from my kin in the most recent week how the young Gewaint succeeded his father, as I'm sure your know full well. He lost his life in a hunting accident, however we do not know the full details of this event, but in recent times I feel the need to bring it up."

He looked over at Owen and Cassandra before continuing "I suspect the new Baron's forays into Magonsate have something to do with the sudden death of his father, but I have no evidence to back this up. I suggest being absolutely careful. The boy when I knew him was quite ambitious, and nothing like his kind and honorable father"

Lionel finished speaking and allowed his words to soak in.

Edited by Jedi

Tense. Apprehensive. Foreboding.

Owen had poor nights since the rumours of his father's poor health spread. Dukes and Barons began eyeing Owen with expectations, intrigue, testing his own mettle. For once, the prince felt threatened in his own home, unable to confirm nor deny the rumours and prey to his own speculation. Struggling to display competence whenever his father chose not to be present, Owen's mood gradually worsened, but he'd sworn his own soul not to worry his friends and sister over his fears, at least until the truth lifted its veils.

It was finally time.

Open Sesame. The doors to King Oswald's quarters parted, revealing a sight Owen wished so much not to. A cold feeling filled his stomach, and a tear was held back, stubbornly so, as Owen did his most to remain a symbol of strength in front of their servants.

"Father..." Owen took his steps slower than his sister and adviser, visibly restrained, his words quick and rasp, unwavering by force. Putting himself directly in front of his father, Owen bowed, put his arms to rest behind his back, and listened.

His father's fighting words brought comfort to Owen, finally allowing his own body to drop some of its apprehension. Nonetheless, Owen kept his facade, prioritizing his father's wishes --had King Oswald no wishes to disturb his children, then this issue was of precedent magnitude.

Baron Dettard... Owen committed the name to memory, and took in his father's concerns. But... to plot with those of Magonsaete... that no-man's land? It was a distinct idea, but not completely out of the realms of possibility --Magonsaete didn't need a chain of command to be threatening, there were just so many outlaws...

"I understand, Father." His voice recovering some of its tone, Owen replied, chin up and eyes observing his declining father with a lingering concern. It was when his sister spoke up that their attention was taken again, yet...

"You've grown wits and experience, sister. I'm sure the Dettards would welcome you with fewer suspicions than me, should we pay them a visit. I would be glad to have you accompany me, However..." Those hazel eyes met King Oswald again. "That is up to our father, the King, to decide." Truth be told, it wasn't. Owen would sooner trust his luck with his sister than alone, especially in his current predicament. He knew better not to disturb the chain of command in the presence of his own father, however, let alone inside the King's chambers. A quick glance would have to be enough to reassure Cassandra at that point.

Lionel was no sooner providing them information and second opinions --as he should--, the prince lowered his guard some in entertainment, looking back at his adviser. It was always intriguing to see his proud traditions and country manners overcome some court manners, ever since he were just a tutor. "Thank you, Lionel. I will keep your words in mind. However, we shouldn't judge the young Baron Dettard yet. Treachery is a grave offense, but we have to confirm it, lest we fail as members of the higher court." His face mellowing, Owen turned to his father again, expecting the final words.

Castle Gaffney

"Cassandra, you are my precious daughter, talented in many regards. However, the battlefield is not a place for you. You are to remain here and carry out courtly duties in your brother's absence." Oswald replied, the protectives eyes of a father shining through his sick form. "I would rather climb out of this bed, drag myself out of the castle and face them myself than expose you to danger."

The King nodded a few times, taking interest in Lionel's words. "I believe that the Dettards are neighbours to your family, are they not? Yes, thank you for sharing that with us, Lionel. Ensure that Owen remains safe, your knowledge of the younger Dettard should keep my son safe. It pains me to know that treachery may be present in my kingdom... all the more reason than you must remain here, Cassandra. This visit is becoming more dangerous than I anticipated. Listen to your brother, we only want what's best for you."

Oswald turned to Owen, proud that his son had agreed with him. The boy was always so timid, but if he could follow an example, he could one day lead by it. "Owen, I am proud to call you my son. Find the truth, then act upon it. I have every faith that you will be able to do so. Lionel shall be with you if you require aid, but do not rely on him... you must stand by your own merits."

The King yawned, rubbing his eye weakly. "I fear I have grown tired... what I would give to remove twenty years from my bones. Begin preparations, you are to leave tomorrow morning."

Owen, Cassandra and Lionel are free to bugger off!

The House of Herman
"Adetrudis! Wait! I have not finished!" Duke Herman barked, reaching a hand forward, as if he intended to pull her through the air. "Your brother speaks the truth! At least meet with him before turning up your nose! If he is not to your liking, you may turn him down, but at least consider the options I give to you before denying them!"
Duke Herman pointed to the window quickly, a carriage had appeared outside the estate's gate. "That's likely to be him! I had arranged a carriage for him, it would be rude to expect him to bring his own from across the sea. It is your duty to at least meet him for political ties! Am I to tell him that my daughter's temper prevents her from simply greeting visitors?"

"Tch... very well. I'll give this pick of yours a least that much. I will meet with him, but if you honestly expect me to give him my hand from a simple meeting, then Father, Brother... the both of you are naught but fools." Adele replied, stopping just shy of the door with a heavy sigh.

"But I hope for his sake that you've chosen with a more discerning eye. I can assure you, if another... incident... occurs, such as with that foppish Count Colasour, this one will get far worse than just a reflex."

The urge to roll her eyes came up many a time as Lionel, Owen and Father all gave their accounts on her either being ready or not to leave the castle for a such a dangerous undertaking. It was a bit old at this point, but there was no point in causing a fuss, not here. She pulled out her fake smile, curtsied a bit, and nodded. "As you wish, Father." Owen had given her the look she wanted, so she knew she was going with them, no matter what. She'd just have to wait until they were out of ear shot of the king before discussing how they would go about it. Since there was nothing left to ask, she nodded to her brother. "Owen, Lionel, I shall take my leave first, then. I'll be waiting for you both in the hall." Obviously, she wanted to talk about this as soon as possible, and not be left out of any preparations. She curtsied for both of them as well, and made her way out of her Father's room, resting herself against the wall, a bit down the connecting hall.

She let out a sigh. "For God's sake, Dad, every damn time..." She groaned, letting go of her mannerisms for the time being. "So melodramatic. 'I would rather climb out of this bed, drag myself out of the castle and face them myself than expose you to danger.' Ugh." She mocked him for a moment, and shook her head. "I get that you care, but I'm not some injured lamb, that needs a shepherd to take care of it twenty four, seven. Whatever... Owen gets that, and I'll be going with them either way. I'm getting tired of this facade." She sighed, and leaned her head back against the wall. Speaking politely hurt her jaw after too long.

Edited by I have opinions

And, as it appeared, Adele misinterpreted Graham's words. He didn't want her to give her hand in marriage so quickly, but perhaps if she actually met people, then Father would stop bringing guests around. They mostly served as a distraction to his training - even the ones that trained alongside him often did nothing to actually help him progress as a knight.

Especially that Colasour. For all of his talk of being a talented knight, the best in his lands when he came to train with the "scion of the Herman house" to, supposedly, "impart his knowledge on such a young knight, even if he was talented"... he went down fairly quickly when he tried to spar with Graham. Therefore, Graham didn't feel too bad about what Adele did to run him off before.

Though he was miffed about the mouthwash.

"Adele, I'm not saying to just take someone's hand. Just... be a little more open to the process to make it smoother, please." Graham replied as he moved closer to his sister. Then, when he knew he could keep his father out of earshot, he added, "And besides, if you actually do meet someone, then Father will stop this blasted farce and we can both go back to our normal lives, and not have to subject ourselves to the whims of foreign guests."

Although, in the back of his mind, he knew that wouldn't be true. Not for her, anyways, considering Adele would likely be sent with whatever guest she ended up finding to be to her liking. But Graham would have loved to fix that, to keep his sister at home. She was family, after all, and he was not about to leave family behind.

And there was King Oswald's answer. "Of course, Father, Your Highness. I will take my leave now." Bow, "Please, rest well. Do not worry about us." Ceremonies over, Owen turned his back and led himself out of the room.

Holding a sigh for more discrete chambers, Owen walked further along the hall, following his sister. It was a shame that she'd been denied leave again, but it was perhaps an inevitability. As much as they'd try to convince their father, he just wouldn't dare put Cassandra at the slightest of danger. It made sense, but...

"I'm sorry, Cass. We couldn't get him to change his mind yet again." Finally at a safe enough distance from the quarters and any servants, Owen let out a sigh, his voice reasonably quiet. "It would just... be far easier if he cooperated." He threw his shoulders, leaning back on the wall as well, these manners were all rather hard to live by, to a fault. "I'll take you along, sister. Dad can say it is dangerous, but I don't trust myself enough. If it is treachery, I'd rather not be blindsided in the enemy's den. And I trust you enough to watch my back." Cassandra had more of a way with the world than he had, truth be told. As much as Owen was trained on matters of the court, he feared any traces of treachery would be well hidden within Baron Dettard's. They'd probably need to look beyond the Baron's court... and bring good men, for protection.

The House of Herman

Duke Herman let out a sigh of relief, he was thankful that he did not have to explain to yet another guest that his daughter was... an interesting character. Wasting no time, he gestured to the door. "Come, he shall be in our hall within moments, we do not wish to keep our visitor waiting!" It was ridiculous, to have a daughter that was so difficult to manage. Tobias knew of no other noble that had such a little troublemaker. All he asked was for her to at least act her part, the embarrassment was worse than any opportunities she had missed.

Leading his two children to the hall, it appeared they'd arrived just in time. "Be warned, his accent might be unusual to understand, but he's from a good family, his father was one of the generals of Toulouse." The door opened slowly, servants accompanying Adele's potential, albeit unlikely and unfortunate, suitor. One of the servants stepped forward to announce their guest.

"Introducing the valiant noble of Toulouse, Sir Jean Bernard, known as Jean the Red to his people!"

Duke Herman stood in place, waiting for Jean to come forward. He wasn't entirely sure what title or power the man held, but it was clear he was from noble stock. He only hoped that he would not take offense to his daughter, or be given a blackeye by him.

Jean is free to post alongside Adele and Graham!

Edited by Shin

"Yes sire, I shall prepare for the morrow" And as he left last, he slowly closed the chamber doors.

Lionel was worried about the situation, The Dettard boy wouldn't pull something quite like this would he? It was a mere hypothesis and one Lionel hoped was incorrect. It could mean quite a bit of trouble, not only for his Kylander kinsmen, but the entire kingdom.

He met up with Cassandra and Owen down the hall and out of earshot of the guards "I couldn't simply just advise your father to have Owen take you with him, despite personal feelings on the matter" He chuckled shortly after the statement, which likely caused the two to look at him a bit strangely.

"I already know what you intend to do, and well the King himself said, don't rely on me. Use your own instincts and merits, and when either of you get an idea in your head you refuse to go against it." He suddenly looked at Cassandra and spoke sternly.

"This won't be like before, I do believe Princess that you know the risk you will be possibly be exposed to. I just urge both of you to be careful. As a Kylander I am honored to serve you and your family, but I don't know what I'd do with myself if either of you fell prey to some dirty tactic or trick that I couldn't see past in time."

His voice then became more soft again "I felt that had to be said, now Prince Owen, Princess Cassandra I will take my leave of you and prepare the company that will be traveling with us" After a brief bow, he looked at Cassandra again "Please do not to try busting down one of the Castle walls again" He smirked "I had to tell your father that Sir Angus missed his target in throwing axe training." He turned and left keeping the memory in his mind "It makes the task less daunting" he thought

And with that he was off to gather Owens personal guard.

Jean had trouble comprehending grovelling to foreign powers, but since his own country had turned against him, it almost seemed like a necessity. He was powerless, landless and a current vagabond, absolutely unfitting for a man of his status. And the travelling had dampened his mood to begin with. He wondered if he was just wasting his time with this farce, but desperate measures are required in desperate times, and so he found himself at Duke Herman's residence, for the purpose of an arranged marriage with his daughter. The Duke was a powerful man, and Jean needed help to both realize his ambitions of returning valianty to Toulouse and freeing his mother and sister from custody.

When the servant announced Jean's arrival, he stepped forward himself. His voice was somewhat boisterous and excitable, even if his Toulese accent was a little strange to the foreigners.

"Ah, Duke Herman. It is a pleasure to finally have reached your most magnificient abode indeed! I extend the humblest of greetings to yourself, your daughter and son. As I have been introduced, I am Jean the Red, noble and leading soldier of Toulouse, son of the great Garan the Red and successor of his legacy!"

He nodded his head to Graham before looking towards Adeltrudis, and bowing.

"...And this must be your daughter. It is delightful to finally meet you. Like the most radiant iris, your beauty is truly understated, is it not?"

Jean paused for a moment. Err, did they know what an iris is in Wyke?

Edited by Tryhard

The House of Herman

It was quite the performance, this Jean must have been truly of noble character. It was hard to believe that a chance meeting whilst travelling could result in such a find. Duke Herman smiled, having faith that things would perhaps not be a complete and utter disaster.

"It's a pleasure to have you in our abode. Adeltrudis, I shall leave our guest in your... hospitable hands. I am certain you two will become well acquainted over the next few days. I have matters to attend to. Servants, ensure that Adeltrudis and our guest are well provided for."

Leaving the room, Duke Herman let out an exasperated sigh. He had high hopes for Jean, although his expectations of his own daughter were not quite as favourable.

Cass smiled, after that small ordeal. "Thank you, Owen. You've always seen me as a person, not an object. It means a lot." He wasn't the only one, but he was the closest, and he was the first. So even though she knew he would, hearing him say it made her feel all the more better. "I'll make sure to watch your back, because lord knows Lionel won't. You need someone capable with you, right?" She joked, knowing that Owen's adviser was a capable fighter, but one she'd manage to beat sparring on more than one occasion. Speaking of Lionel, he had his cautionary words, as usual. This time, she was free to roll her eyes.

"If I was afraid of the risk, I'd stay here. I'm just listless, not an idiot. I need to get out of this wretched castle and... Hit something." She raised and sunk her shoulder for emphasis, sighing and pulling herself off the wall. She decided not to comment on Lionel's next phrase, waiting until he walked himself off instead. She'd still cocked her eyebrow at him the whole time. Soon as he was gone from ear shot, she leaned over to Owen. "Are you sure you want him as your adviser? I don't remember doing that in the slightest." She shrugged, and leaned back, swaying a bit with her hands behind her back. "Alright then, brother. What's the first order of business? If Lionel's off to gather the squires, what should we get ready?" As eager as Cass was... A leader she was not. Nor was she someone who knew what they were doing, on these sorts of, political missions of intrigue, or whatever they wanted to be called.

It seemed that this fellow was just another nobleman, with his billowy lexicon and over-dramatic ticks and mannerisms. How dreadfully dull. Of course, before Adeltrudis could respond to any of it, her father had departed the room already. That was likely for the best.

"Sir Jean the Red, was it? A pleasure to meet you, for certain. My name is Lady Adeltrudis of House Herman, but please do simply call me Adele, I feel it far less a mouthful, wouldn't you agree?" Adele finally replied to the man, donning her wretched noble's mask and the stale air it seeped once again. What she wouldn't give to be done with it, but alas.

Hopefully he would be the type to make a fuss at calling her any less than her full name. After all, she could then dismiss him for distaste and her father could make no complaints of it.

Jean watched closely as the Duke left the room. At least he shouldn't have to worry about the Herman family stabbing him in the back... not yet, at least.

Still, the daughter. She was captivating, no doubt, but Jean was unsure if he wanted to go through with a marriage still. He decided that he would at least try to make the long trip here worth it, free food or otherwise.

"Ah... Lady Adeltrudis, what a peculiar suggestion," somewhat perplexed, Jean responded, "Hmm... but of course... perhaps I am being rude and this is a custom around here, so forgive me. Lady Adele it is. Toulouse is quite a different place from Wyke, and I'm not fully accustomed to it yet."

Edited by Tryhard

"Not so much a custom as personal preference. Ah, yes, you are a man of Toulouse, aren't you? Might I ask of it, I've not yet had the pleasure to visit, myself." Adele responded with a light smile. Geez, and she was even expected to entertain him, of all things? What a bother... at least she might get to hear a little of the reclusive nation to the South-East. She still recalled a demonstration she had been witness to, a while back. Strange little weapons that the men of Toulouse had brought with them, that one pointed and fired like a crossbow.

But the result had been nothing of the sort. Rather than a bolt, the strange thing called forth a wicked cry,a mighty crack like thunder ripping through the air and into one's ears, and in an explosive spout of flame, shot forth a burning hot slab of metal... it had been the most intriguing thing, but unfortunately, Adele had never since gotten the chance to see one, nor to hold or perhaps even try using it... but a quick look over this Jean the Red's person didn't cause one of the fabled firearms to pop into her vision. A shame, that.

"I see, if the Lady wishes it, I cannot refuse. As for Toulouse, it is a land of great prosperity and growth and one that I'm indeed proud to call home! Truth be told, I have spent the majority of my life there, it was only recently I started travelling. Though I believe few from Angelcynn know about its existance, much less visited it, it lies claim to the most extravagant food, skilled people and for the creation of gunpowder. Hmm... I'm not sure people from Wyke are familiar with it, however..."

Jean hoped he would not have to lie about his current standing, and so tried to move on. Lady Adeltrudis seemed relatively proper, and Jean was rather taken aback that she actually took an interest in him being from Toulouse.

"Ahh, but that's enough about me. I am interested in your life here, in Wyke, Lady Adeltru-- Adele. Have you had much time to experience the outside world, being the Duke's daughter?"

Owen held a smile to his sister and a soft laugh to his adviser's word --what a character he could be. "Now that you mention him, go summon the young man from House Kearney first. I'm sure he'd be willing and quick to prepare himself. I'll be at the barracks by sunset, bring the personnel there in due time." Dismissing Lionel as soon as he walked away, Owen began wiping his doublet, lifting himself from against the castle's wall. "Alright... you didn't?" Owen was bemused again, this time at his sister's words. "In that case, I'll make sure Lionel learns how to double-check his facts. I can't have him blame my sister for every dent in the castle's walls." Despite the jovial response, an adviser that reports false information is seldom useful, perhaps this was the time to talk...

Maybe not. It was likely a harmless blunder.

"Let's give him a chance and see which troops he picks, come--" Owen began his steady steps away from the hall, headed west within the castle. "We'll gather supplies first, Cass." He turned to acknowledge his sister, and kept his pace. "The armory should have some weapons we could take, and then we'll pick some food for our travels. Once we know how many Lionel has picked, I will go to the stables and pick our horses." Pause, "I don't know how Baron Dettard might receive us. If he lets us in his manse, we will be given a chance to investigate, but if he is involved in treason, that might be the perfect chance to strike..." A hand quickly cupped Owen's chin, stroking in vain as his thoughts explored the possibilities.

"We will show up in Dettard's lands unadvised, that might be enough to scare the cat into baring its fangs, we could be attacked before entering contact..." The thought brought dread to Owen, fearing his own capture --or worse, his sister's--, that would put King Oswald in a precarious position, as well as Owen's competence in front of his vassals. "We should treat his lands as hostile for precaution's sake. We will show up armed to his manse using the pretense of protection from bandits, I'll say we took a shorter route, now..." A certain shine could be seen in Owen's eyes, deep in his thinking.

Deep enough to hit a door by mistake.

"Ah--." Changing his course precariously, Owen continued to the barracks with only a flushed face to show the even. "Um, as I was saying..." Pause, and a clear of a throat, "If we are welcomed, I will summon Baron Dettard to a urgent reunion in his chambers. I will inform him we have increased our concerns regarding Magonsaete, and claim power vested in me by the king to request his troops to move towards Wyke's western coast. Now, as I take him to his chambers, I want you and squire Kearney --and Lionel better bring him like I've ordered-- to search his manse. Take anything that might seem suspicious: foreign crests or papers or whatever might it be that indicates he's been keeping contact with the chieftains of Magonsaete. That's the plan." With a deep breath, Owen relaxed himself again. "Whew. Well, any questions, Cass?"

Lionel was moving swiftly through Castle Gaffney to find those who he felt were most suitable for this mission at hand, a large company would bring attention, a smaller one would however be more risky if treason was afoot.

However he had an idea when he stumbled into Sir Regulus, "Oh Lionel, what seems to be the rush?" The muscular elder knight asked, his long elegant beard was his defining trait.

"Preparing a small company for Lord Owen, the matter is a bit private and a direct order from the King"

"Ah.. I should have known, you're only in a rush when you have a mission to accomplish" Regulus sighed. Lionel stopped for a second, "Sir Regulus if I may ask something of you?"

"Whats the favor? I still owe you for that bar fight you dragged me out of" He smirked, and Lionel smirked back, That has been quite some months ago on yet another one of Princess Cassandra's forays into the town, the Kylander had been watching over her at a distance when he heard his friend Regulus was drunk and causing a stir, and by the time he got there he was pretty messed up. Lionel had dragged him out and taken him to the healers.

"I was wondering if you could get a message to my Mother, Baroness Kylander, the mission we are on is potentially dangerous, but also could be nothing at all. I need you to have your fastest rider inform her to keep patrols up around the Dettard's territory, and about a signal." Lionel pulled out a pen and parchment from his side bag and drew the Wyke symbol for fire on it "Tell them, if they see this spell, to rush into assist our company, we may need it." Lionel sighed again, "I really wish I didn't have to resort to this last second planning, but its the best I can do"

Regulus just nodded and after pondering a bit stroking his beard "Lionel, I will have Sir William dispatched post haste, with your message"

Lionel patted his friend on the shoulder, "Thank you, now I must be off to the training grounds. At least one of the knights I wish to take is there" He bowed and walked off.

The training grounds were as lively as ever, Lionel saw the various battalions in the wide open pavilions where different instructors showed the various squires how to use their weapons of choice. Mages were typically in the tall tower on the eastern side of Castle Gaffney, this was on the western portion and Lionel smiled when he saw exactly the man he was looking for practicing his axe swings as usual.

"Well met Sir Angus! I have some news for you, that could be to your liking."

Edited by Jedi

"Hmmm..." If there was one thing Lionel wasn't, it was stupid. He'd been Owen's adviser for plenty of years now, and had, normally, useful advice to impart. He wouldn't still be in the position if he was an idiot, so Cass wouldn't say anything against that. "I hope he picks up that Angus fellow. He's fun. Always was helpful to have around in town." Owen had mentioned the squire of Kearney. Cass had little idea if Angus was actually a competent fighter or not, but he was pleasant enough. Probably better than some stuffy old knight around, being gruff and boring and all kinds of serious. Cass didn't want serious. This was an adventure! It was going to be exciting. Exciting and enjoyable~ She would see to it. "But, yes, supplies." Cass walked after him.

Of course, Owen was Owen, so while she was glad to be spending time with him on something like this, he was going to lose himself in his thoughts at some point. But so soon? "Owen..." Cass couldn't help but smile as she listened to him go on about the possibilities of things. "If he's involved, then we'll deal with him. Simple as that." She didn't want to tell him he was overthinking it, because barons probably had some smarts. Surely Owen was still smarter. His plan sounded pretty good. Getting to carry her axe around openly for so long would feel pretty great. "What if we do run into bandits though, brother? Will be fight them?" There was a certain shine in Cass' own eyes, before Owen walked into a door. She couldn't help a laugh.

"Are you alright?" she said between giggles, placing a hand on his shoulder and giving his face a once over. He'd gone straight back into talking, so she figured he was fine, eventually stifling her chuckles. He went into detail on his plan, on the side of things going well. It was fairly sound, and some sleuthing would be fairly enjoyable. Cass wasn't always about bashing someone's face in; getting to sneak around and figure out secrets was plenty exciting on its own! "How do you suppose I'm to hide anything secret? I don't exactly have any pockets." She put on a serious face for a moment before smiling, trying to bring a small joke to his serious demeanor. "I'll do my best, Owen! And I'll make sure the others do their best as well. I think your plan is sound, just... Well, what do we do if all of this was nothing but suspicions? Surely there's something else we can do while we're out there if it is, so our trip isn't wasted."

Scene Gaffney

Angus looks up and around for the familiar voice calling for him, squinting through the dirt in his eyes--Lionel, of all men! It's a bit unusual to be summoned by this one--why wouldn't the good news be for the rest of the squires?--but no matter. Angus sheathes his axe, tucking it behind his shield and greeting Lionel with a firm grab of the arm.

"Well met, Sir Lionel! What happy day calls for me? I'd hazard I've a new task, no?"

Angus lets go, beaming at the older gent for a moment, until he pauses with a look of puzzlement. He tilts slightly, reaching for his calf. The returning, crimson hand merits a grimace and a drop to one knee, rummaging in a belt pouch.

"Sorry 'bout this--thought I had that stroke down. Simplest damn turn of the wrist, and here I am embarrassing myself." Angus laughs, a child's laugh, finally raising an already-stained bandage above his head as if touting the spoils of war. He begins haphazardly wrapping his leg, continuing on. "Come now, don't keep me waiting! I can hear you just fine from down here."

Angus laughs again, hopeful of a challenge for once. There's no difficulty in cutting air, no danger in sparring fellows--not even chance of loss of face, for who expects anything of a squire? High time to see some shadow of action, or at least a change of pace.

Lionel before continuing simply stated "I could have a healer come over here you know, it would be a bit more simple." Although he knew that Angus was more the type to fight through pain and toughen up through challenge, or at least that was the impression he had gotten, the lad was strong as an ox and loyal to the bone. He shook his head and continued on

"Prince Owen, requires a party to accompany us, into Dettard lands to speak with their newly named Baron, about his.." Lionel looked around trying to keep it a little less known then it should be "Constant travels into Magonsaete"

"I suspect a plot brewing, and the King only gave me today to prepare our small company and possible plans, you were one of the first men I had in mind." Lionel grimaced, "I know you are eager to prove yourself, and this could go a multitude of ways, but if it gets dicey don't make a risky move."

Lionel felt like he was being too condescending "He's a knight in training for crying out loud not some kid, like he himself had been". "I do trust your instincts from what I've seen of your growth over the years and its why I'm hand picking you for this." Lionel gave the Squire a gentle smile.

"Would you happen to know where Sir Gerrard and Lady Claire are?" Lionel asked sounding a little tired. It had been a fairly long day already and it was just getting started.

"They are to join us as well."

Edited by Jedi