What would an IS developed TRS do to FE?

Alazen

Let's pretend that Kaga didn't leave IS when he did and instead stuck around for an IS developed TRS. Let's assume the game would be developped for the GBA.

Where do you say the series would go? How would the setting of Dark Dragon to Thracia 776 be impacted? Obviously we would have gotten Runan or Holmes in place of Roy.

"What would Intelligent Systems developed TearRing Saga do to Fire Emblem."

What?

I think the series would've progress differently.

I believe it would be a much more niche series and very different.

In fact, most of the Fire Emblem characters we know probably wouldn't have been around like Roy, Ike, Lyn, Hector, Ephraim etc. or their games would play differently mechanics wise.

Actually, Binding Blade would of been on the N64, and Archenean characters would of been the main protagonists.

Runan and Holmes replaced the Archenean FE characters to avoid a lawsuit from Nintendo, but said attempt failed.

If he stayed, I honestly doubt too many differences would be there now, since even Kaga would have to agree to making the would be FE Awakening as accessible as possible to save the series. The charcters would all be from the same world, instead of a multiverse, since all of Kaga's games are on the same world, and Tiki would likely be my favorite FE character, since Lyn would hypothetically not exist in this scenario. I doubt there would be many other differences tho.

I think an IS developed TRS would be very different from the game that was released. You have to remember OP that FE6 was streamlined for a reason, and the disappointing sales of FE5 was no doubt a factor.

^The poor sales for FE5 were caused by the same thing that killed FE8 and 12 in sales too

Poor marketing combined with a late in the consoles lifespan release.

I seriously doubt there would be many, if any, real differences, which is why I laugh whenever I see someone say Kaga needs to return to save the series.

FE12 only sold 2,000 units less than FE11, and FE8 sold 19,000 less than FE7. FE5 sold 339,000 less than FE4, you can't argue that Nintendo and IS were satisfied with that kind of drop.

FE12 only sold 2,000 units less than FE11, and FE8 sold 19,000 less than FE7. FE5 sold 339,000 less than FE4, you can't argue that Nintendo and IS were satisfied with that kind of drop.

Well, "late in the consoles lifespan release" in this context means "3 years after Super Mario 64 and 2 years before Luigi's Mansion", using some sort of download service which I would guess not a lot of people would have even had access to. I think the game could hardly have been expected to perform much better.

Nintendo Power was hardly an obscure service in Japan, plus Thracia had been released on a cartridge. However, I will concede that Thracia was probably expected to sell less than FE4, but it is still part of a worrying trend with Kaga's games. FE4 sold 278,000 units less than FE3, and now his new game sells 339,000 less than that one? Nintendo and IS simply could not allow that trend to continue, which is why they went back to basics with FE6.

• 2 years later...
On 8/3/2015 at 6:13 PM, Hardin said:

Nintendo Power was hardly an obscure service in Japan, plus Thracia had been released on a cartridge. However, I will concede that Thracia was probably expected to sell less than FE4, but it is still part of a worrying trend with Kaga's games. FE4 sold 278,000 units less than FE3, and now his new game sells 339,000 less than that one? Nintendo and IS simply could not allow that trend to continue, which is why they went back to basics with FE6.

um this is dumb. the reason FE4 and FE5 sold so little compared to FE3 is because they came out near the end of the SNES's life cycle, right when the PS1 was becoming dominant. 

they went back to basics with FE6 because they lost Shozo Kaga and without him they had no fucking clue how to make a proper FE game, so they came up with FE6, which as anyone who's played it has seen firsthand, is basically a baby version of Fire Emblem.

• 3 months later...

Well, if TRS was made by a Kaga-led IS team, then it would likely be made for either N64 or GameCube, largely because I doubt that Kaga would be satisfied by the GBA in term of what kind of crazy crap he could stuff into it. As for what the difference would be for the series, I'm not entirely sure it would have made it stateside, if it had, it might not have been as successful as it was, seeing as how polarizing Kaga Emblem design is. The series would likely to follow Kaga's more dark tendencies, and his seeming obsession with complicated, sometimes overly so, plots and game mechanics. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it and it would definitely lead to an interesting and radically different series, so long as Kaga wasn't reigned in too much.

• 4 months later...

Thracia could have been the best snes video game of all time and it would still have failed miserably with that launch time. 

The amount it sells just cannot realistically be blamed on anything other than that one variable. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, Vince777 said:

Thracia could have been the best snes video game of all time and it would still have failed miserably with that launch time. 

The amount it sells just cannot realistically be blamed on anything other than that one variable. 

Exactly.

The revisionist history peddled by that noob Hardin is pathetic. And besides, sales of games in that era shouldn't be compared to sales today. Thracia 776's sales were actually quite phenomenal for its time and Nintendo had zero intention of canceling the series. 

FE6 was widely panned for being garbage in Japan. FE5 on the flip side had critical acclaim, including one 10 from a reviewer in Famitsu, and that was practically unheard of for a SNES game being released 4 years after the system had effectively died.

Edited by bufkus

I love Binding Blade but I can understand why it would be disappointing on release to fans of the franchise's prior games.

Mechanics were significantly simplified and the plot made more accessible to all audiences.