Let's Play FE7 Randomized!

The Magus

There's been a huge spate of people doing randomized FE8 LPs on Serenes' Forest after Klok started one, But I'm noticing a painful dearth of other games... So, I'm going to try one myself! I actually started this LP on imgur because I couldn't figure out how to insert the screenshots, so the first three updates are going to be transposed from there. I think I get it now, though - so without further ado, let me introduce:

qXUrNXl.png

FIRE EMBLEM SEVEN : RANDOMIZED!

I'm using the Universal GBA FE Randomizer by OtakuReborn; you can find it here:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55809&page=1

Yfzzwx4.png

These are my settings. Seeing how characters would fare if they had been placed in different classes is one of the things I like most about randomizers, so I'm not randomizing anything except for classes, affinities, and recruitment. I'm actually not the biggest fan of random recruitment either, but I'm figuring it'll make for an interesting run. Anyways, the odds are in my favour that this'll mean getting Nino early! (I never really caught up with the tier-making fanbase's switch from growths-favouring to bases-favouring, so expect to see me babying weak units and neglecting prepromotes a lot .) I didn't randomize Thieves because I hate leaving resources un-plundered, and I didn't buff enemies because I'm not good enough at this game yet to need extra challenge.

Let's jump right in!

[spoiler=Prologue and Chapter One]

bRXXC6F.png

I'm going from Lyn hard mode to either Eliwood hard or Hector normal. I've never played through Hector mode, so I kind of want to try it, but Eliwood mode is more proof against getting screwed by the randomizer in the first few chapters.

kYBUP0m.png

Don't expect me to cover the story cutscenes. The point of a randomizer playthrough is extra gameplay for people who already know the game, and anyways, I find it jarring to have characters talking in cutscenes that don't exist in my party.

fWKwpZI.pngbMbLaPk.pngL7UmNwA.png

Is... is that...? It is! Hector Lord Lyn! This is gonna be great, I can just feel it!

bZadrXd.png

Lyn's new palette seems pretty nice.

DskGsRR.png

Batta never stood a chance.

lhOo89G.png

Speed and defense... Could be better, but I'll take it. I'll also have to screenshot levels a bit later than I did here, it looks like...

hF1wnK3.pngClXZ89Z.png

From what I've heard, Lyn mode characters don't get randomized recruitment, because they're actually different versions of themselves from the ones you get in Eliwood/Hector mode, so that's why nobody's been replaced by a different character so far.

eU7QR5W.pngvsXdilU.png

8zUvb5a.pngDF3U231.png

Annnd here are my new Kent and Sain! Funnily enough, I've had both of these versions of them before - in my first randomized run, which used Ephraim and Klok's randomizer and is currently stalled at BBD, had Troubadour Kent, and more recently I tried starting a run that got Female Archer Sain. At least this time Sain didn't spawn with a Ballista... I'm rather liking the utility of Kent's inventory here, it's a pity it'll get wiped at the end of Lyn mode.

f9MbZrW.png

I had Lyn weaken the bandit so that Sain could finish it, and this is the thanks I get?

nxBoyTZ.png

Kent doesn't look too bad as a troubadour.

kQF6tHv.png

That's better. It's good to know that first miss was just a fluke, and now Sain's gonna be his (her?) usual awesome self... right?

XT8tRKy.png

...Of course not.

Ah99nTN.pngV6gDyOh.png

Operation Feed Sain Kills is not going as planned, thanks to her (his?) stupid poison bow and its terrible accuracy...

nXc9hc1.png

At least I have an earlygame healer to make up for it.

jjk7EcC.png

That's right, Lyn, keep luring them in...

1JNvDi0.png

-sigh-

1cbr063.png

S/he can't even kill this one if s/he hits! Sain, why would you do this to me?

C1xK4hc.png

Annnd EXP is lost to Sain's poison bow... blast.

F1DqgNl.png

Alright, Sain, you get one more chance...

qqL1xkV.pngoKqQi9R.png

Screw it, I'm giving Lyn the kill instead.

vCmwSnz.pngxu9C1ZR.png

Here are our stats against the Nino-boss. Guess I'll give Sain one more shot at redemption...

3hfkNyo.png

Huh, Zugu's palette isn't half bad.

E266jxK.png

Sain, you're not supposed to be this disappointing! ...At least this might do something about that hit-rate...

[spoiler=Premonition: A Glimpse of Friends to Come]

pm0WRrN.png

I decided to make a little mini-update to show off our other two Lords so that you can select which route I'll be taking! Let's take a sneak peek at our first option, Eliwood Hard Mode.

xpQIrug.png

So we have a thief, a mage, an assassin, and a soldier. You're only going to learn about the thief for now, though, as everyone on this screen will join in chapter two of Hector's route, making all but our new Lord unimportant to the big decision. Besides, I have to keep up /some/ suspense, don't I?

FbTjjET.pngEDkMlDi.png

It's Jaffar! And he's looking awfully tough, too. I mean, just look at that! Only level 1, and four out of six stats are already in the double digits! While having a thief lord could be interesting, and chapter one on this route is less likely to potentially screw me over, it obviously means less chapters.

0jqb5IX.png

Now for the other possibility, Hector Normal Mode. Sorry, HHM fans, but I like my sanity.

avBc7CE.png

...Somehow I have a feeling that I won't be worrying for a lack of thieves this playthrough.

JJZEf8F.pngKvntxqS.png

It's none other than the legendary Sword Demon, here to bathe his blade in the blood of our... uh... our... banes? Nah, I can't think of a way to keep that alliteration going. Anyways, if you thought Jaffar was strong, well... it appears Karel isn't one to be outclassed. Maybe I should have buffed the enemies a little, after all... Ah, well. Karel will definitely be able to promote earlier than Jaffar could, and he's got a nifty 60-use weapon for us! He also has 10s or better across the board. He might have a bit of trouble with those pesky lance-users, though...

Which route will I be going? you decide! Should I go Jaffar Hard at the expense of a few chapters and two characters, or should I go Karel Normal and hope like heck that I can get my hands on some dough? (...get it? Since one of the Hector mode exclusive characters is Fari-never mind, it was dumb.) Just vote at the poll here: http://strawpoll.me/5105764

I /would/ make it a poll on this thread, but I already have upwards of 20 votes on this one, and I'm afraid things would just get mixed up if I tried to use both. Don't get too worried about taking a while to decide, though - I won't be counting up the results until the end of Lyn Mode.

Of course, constructive criticism and feedback are appreciated! There's just one more update to transpose from imgur, but it's the longest one yet, so it may take a little while.

I'll just say this now, but because you didn't randomize base, their original base are added up to the class they were randomized into, in which case because they were in bit later of the actual game had higher base to make up rather than class base, so if you wanted an actual fair run through, you need to randomize bases to make it challenging.

I'll just say this now, but because you didn't randomize base, their original base are added up to the class they were randomized into, in which case because they were in bit later of the actual game had higher base to make up rather than class base, so if you wanted an actual fair run through, you need to randomize bases to make it challenging.

Oh... seriously? That's a pity :/

Well, I'll keep that in mind for future runs. For now, though, I'm happy to just stick with the current ROM. After all, I'm more in this for seeing what everyone gets randomized into than for the mind-numbing challenge. Not that FE7 could really be considered mind-numbing, but you know what I mean...

...Dang, should I go Hector Hard instead of Hector Normal if that route's selected? I'm mostly just scared of all of the fog of war and such... ;_; Or is there some way for me to manually go in there with Nightmare and fix it?

Definitely explains why Karel and Jaffar turned out so crazy, though!

Without further ado, here's the last update that I already have written!

[spoiler=Chapters 2-3: Nananana, Bat-Will!]

F2VDQwy.png2pF53de.png

Here we are - chapter two! There aren't any new characters this chapter, unfortunately, but at least we get to marvel at Glass, whose Pega-Pony Princessitude cannot be matched even by the gods themselves!

WohMrOf.png1IK8Vxr.pngstlPRYm.png

I'm just continuing my previous strategy of having Lyn lure and weaken bandits so that Sain can snipe them off. Also, those hit rates are starting to look just a bit more tolerable...

O3HALsj.png

Now THAT's how you level up! Everything except HP and Defense... Sain, you'd better be taking notes!

Ewu4WvQ.png

It's a start, Sain. Now just start working on that Strength and Speed, okay?

1WaubVS.png

Yeah, no way in Badon am I wasting Wolf Beil uses on this thing. I guess I could just go around, but that's leave Kent stranded.

qYbyvyJ.png

What? I need to level Kent somehow...

OyGGwYv.png

Kent, I know speed is the most important stat, but untilyou promote all that matters is magic. Please work on it.

TWO TURNS LATER:

uS1pSsY.pngtWexceC.png

The wall's been broken down, and Lyn gets the first crit of the playthrough!

m14Wyvh.pnglb6ZHWW.png

I think you can tell where this is headed.

eYHBzlW.pngS02EPxK.png

Here're Glass' stats. That steel lance of his weighs the poor guy down to zero AS.

2X5ybhJ.pngcmBBUUw.png

And here's what we can do to him! You almost feel sorry for the guy...

k8BMLTO.png

It'll be okay, Glass... Your dream will not go unfulfilled! Seven games from now, men will finally ride pegasi, just as you did here!

...Aww, I just noticed that I didn't catch his palette while he was unpoisoned... Oh, well.

tMb3HqJ.png

Well... Speed is good, at least!

bIfSh8D.png64v01ud.png

2wpfm8X.png

Well, I guess she'll get swords when she promotes, does that count?

Cr7W8HJ.png

Obligatory chapter title screen is obligatory.

YXCmagG.png

Ooh, I love the fade-in here! I wonder what causes it to sometimes fade to black behind the chapter title and sometimes fade to the map...

XMafKRP.png

My, this run is just a blast from my past, isn't it? I've had Nomad!Florina in the same run as Troubadour!Kent.

pBNPNz6.pngljDrqnR.png

Here are her stats! She doesn't look too bad. A longbow should be useful, and she beats Sain in every stat except for skill - despite being three levels below him!

vmgGHc0.pngVWjGigV.png

Will is... okay. His bases are nothing special, but hey! He's a GBA shaman, how can I not love that? He's only gonna have two attack speed until he starts pumping that stat up, though...

QLIyWmE.png

And now we have something of a problem. See, normally on this chapter I just send Florina up to snag that village and then avail myself of the choke point. This time, we don't have a flier yet, so I can't do that. I guess I'll just have to charge all-out if I want to stop those bandits!

EBrNPOO.png

Dang, Florina can't quite move far enough to snipe the closest bandit.

oIN75XD.pngt1kosGj.pnggrljfI6.png

Will weakened the mercenary right against the top wall, so that Florina could... crit him and make that first attack pointless. There's the Florina I remember! Will looks pretty sharp as a shaman; Florina looks... less so.

NyhgKQZ.png

Beautiful.

mdZmErq.png

Sorry, Sain, but you're history until I find a shop with bows. Heck, even then you'll only be around until I get a preparations screen, short of really turning yourself around in that narrow time frame.

ADy3Sma.png

Alright, so it looks like I've got two turns to rush up there. C'mon....

SBzthgj.png

Another one bites the dust~

5PxmWP6.png

Crap. This isn't working.

P7Nj3KT.pngVujzPI8.png

Hmm. Didn't Klok say something about being able to drop units anywhere in his FE8 playthrough? I guess it can't hurt to try...

NcR9b1N.pngL8pmvXh.png

Aw, yeah! Okay, yes, this is sort of cheating, and I don't plan to use it unless I'm in another hopeless situation like this... But it's still pretty dang cool to imagine Kent's horse just bucking Will up so that he lands on top of the wall, don't you think?

HUKLd6z.png6UeQ2aC.png

Meanwhile, Lyn just keeps on being awesome and Sain just keeps on being useless. C'mon, bandit AI, please please PLEASE prioritize targeting Will...

h6QRzny.png

YESSS!

ulpnu8t.png

Still worth it.

heboQ8s.png

Sorry. I just love the no damage effect so much <3

XC2NHcO.pngNjSPkq9.pngCplUvvy.pngyr5ebQY.png

While Will saves the village from atop his wall, Florina starts on the second bandit and Lyn defies the weapon triangle. With that little snag worked through, the rest of this chapter should be a cakewalk!

pvuZlop.png

...Okay, okay, I'll stop.

ypEtgkb.png20ILPAh.pngwNS33Fp.pngAlDWCBJ.png

Will swoops down in order to defend his prize. He is the night! Meanwhile, Florina finishes Bandit-chelor Number Two for a lacklustre first level and Lyn struggles with the Weapon Triangle. Man, next chapter is NOT gonna be fun with only one front-liner...

JCynVUY.png

Lyn levels up by continuing to miss that dang mercenary. It goes about as well as you would expect, considering the RNG for her these last couple of turns.

ikLyAwm.png

Also, the archer decided to take a potshot at Kent.

LfiGXJp.pngE43ETZq.pngeUgBVMT.png

Florina misses the mercenary a couple of times, and Lyn finally gets sick of his garbage.

bAJLMyi.png5I8Vakb.png6AQEbsu.png

As Lyn ends the zero-damage streak and Florina stops another mercenary menace before it can even begin, Will sets off to rejoin the group.

WtSw4Yx.png

Hey, look! Sain's actually useful for something!

TTDzxro.png

...Or not. S/he buys a sword and a lance anyways, just in case.

qyuxkVq.pngaMWHQI9.png

While Sain's off on their shopping trip, let's take a look at the boss' stats! ...Yeah, evidently I should have buffed bosses after all.

Fwi00Uw.pngiXwAsD4.png

He goes down without a fight.

8A10LmC.png

Well, at least Will got magic. Please work on that speed, though, okay?

pz7woLd.pngKqAd2Xg.png

I still love that. I wish I could come up with names that cool...

zi1t1rH.png

The thing I love so much about Lyn's mode is that since permadeath is basically turned into Casual Mode with a longer-term recovery period for it, it means different characters get a chance to shine. The group feels less like an army and more like a close-knit RPG party, which is a bit of a nice change from the usual. It's just a pity that Florina and Will don't get to talk more, considering that they stay with Lyn even if they have to retreat.

I'll hopefully see y'all tomorrow, with Chapters Four and Five!

Edited by The Magus

I really don't understand the hate for Lyn mode. Sure, it's not nearly as epic as the main game, but it serves the vital job of being a tutorial for new players (read: almost everyone who played the game outside of Japan when it was released), as well as giving you a chance to train up units that would otherwise need to be babied and generally having a more character-driven narrative.

The characters in Lyn mode are just fine when they reappear if you skip Lyn mode. Lyn Mode is boring. There's nothing to do. The only interesting thing that can come out of LHM is an early promotion for Kent or Sain, and the only way that will benefit them is via lots and lots of boss abuse (Ie: Tedious and boring again). You can also put a couple stat boosters on someone, like Florina, and they'll be slightly better in the other lord modes. Either way, it's still 10 chapters of linear BORING. Literally just like watching grass grow.

The most fun I ever had with it was soloing everything with Lyn and leveling her to level 16 before it all ended, then she utterly destroyed the game's balance when she reappeared. But this came at the cost of making everyone else pretty much useless.

I dunno, maybe I'm just blinded by the fact that it was my first exposure to FE. A playthrough of FE7 just doesn't feel complete to me if I don't play through Lyn Mode first. :/

Anyways, I've never been to 19xx and I'd rather like to finally get there - Lyn Mode's a requirement for that, too. Assuming I get Hector Mode, of course.

Well, let's get going!

[spoiler=Chapters 4-5: I <3 Rescue]

TJM4iNU.pngW1c8mc1.png
Alright, it looks like Dorcas is going to be a soldier!
o2cZJSd.pngrSqQkmi.png
...That's not Dorcas.
Allllrighty then, I guess this thing starts randomizing characters at this chapter instead of after Lyn Mode is finished? Does that mean I can toss Farina the Knight Crest and have her pop up in Jaffar or Karel Mode with it still tucked away?
Well, the upshot of this is that I get one of this game's Ests appearing in chapter 4. This is gonna be all sorts of great. Unfortunately, that Javelin's gonna weigh her down to 0 AS... I guess I might still want to keep her off of the front lines for a bit. At least that Javelin means she's not gonna suicide on Lyn...
3ZM3SBF.png
As much as I'd love to rush the boss, that's simply not gonna happen with only one tanky unit avaliable. Heck, I can't even turtle in the larger area! I'm just gonna have to cluster around Natalie and hope like heck.
r6Gw50v.png
Also, we've only got 10 uses of the Wolf Beil left before Lyn becomes a fancy moving wall.
KrCwhtS.pngrGahNR6.png
Will clears the way for Lyn and our new recruit to have a nice chat.
0mWblyf.png
Yeah, no thanks.
LzqUpA1.pngji09IFU.png
Farina elects to hide behind Lyn and do some ranged attacking instead. Oh, if only I had a defensive position that let more than one person plus Florina attack...
...dangit, Natalie.
JBSuplm.png
At least the Longbow lets Florina be of use.
Cpx6a8N.png
Speed and Skill are good.
HurXf0U.pngkUrawT7.pngu9JfAnZ.png
Farina picks off a mercenary and Will and Kent decide that desperate times call for desperate measures.
dWfJTsk.png
Hey, remember this? Yup, I'm definitely glad I bought it.
15uIQU7.png
Kent had barely enough HP to survive being in that bandit's way; he's definitely not staying out there.
rilUtFi.png
So he grabs a level healing Florina instead.
Hey; he gets magic, so I'm not complaining. He won't need anything else until he promotes, after all.
ix8H5MF.png
Annnd we're back where we were. With only three Wolf Beil uses left. Whee.
HtjdgcN.png
Lyn decides to make the most of them!
yTstpv6.png
RIP Wolf Beil... it was a good axe.
xcl3XKs.png
This bandit drops an axe. It's kind of important, considering the circumstances. Hopefully I can snag it before the chapter ends...
P25b35w.png
Uh-oh...
hSLTItT.png
Farina keeps picking off mercenaries.
g1dJRPg.png
Okay, okay, I can do this. Last turn, and the bandit with the droppable axe is still at full health. I just have to trust my feelings... trust in the rescue mechanic...
oCkM1qD.png
Sorry, Farina, you don't have what it takes for this.
tjmQyzC.pngtjmQyzC.png
...Speed! Most important stat, eh? Just... not the the exclusion of everything else.
CRuf1sT.pngDOpQNJN.png
Hang on, I could have rescued Natalie? Wow, that would have made positioning easier. I thought she was immobile for some reason.
0ugP59B.pngvVpqjIR.pngizH0m7Q.pngUag6tVi.png
It worked - and Will got a nice level in the process! Now Lyn won't be useless until the shop near the end of the next chapter!
Pv7wCav.png
Lyn'll be taking that, thank you very much.
FvSZMUW.png
She'll also be popping a vulnerary, just for good measure - her HP was getting dangerously low.
rvGrjdb.png
I'll take it. Lyn can double bandits now!
RJDwhsw.png
vosQqQC.pngpHqvuFv.png
Ooh, it faded into the map again! ...Yeah, I'm easily impressed. ;>_>
AaOcLuo.png
Here're our two new recruits!
oVc1A1S.pngQyrYfBO.pnggnIwV4n.png
First off, Guy the Cavalier! For some reason he started out with an A in both swords and lances? Farina started with A lances too, come to think... That doesn't seem right.
Doesn't seem too bad for a level 1 unit, though.
p193Chr.pngNJnDNFe.png
Serra decided to stick around, only she kicked Erk out in order to do it.
She's a tad weak for a fighter, but on the speedy side.
KDeMRd9.pngjjE94bH.png
Guy and Serra in action. Neither has a particularly appealing palette. Serra could have doubled this guy, but decided to show off inste-woah, woah, hold the phone. She spawned with a flipping SWORDSLAYER? Yikes.
DzjNHEi.png
Farina just HAD to spawn at the furthest point from that mercenary...
xS5YjwD.png
Will likes to live dangerously.
60PsLzC.pngBGAtz3a.png
And it's time to put that iron sword to use, too!
VU5XAP6.png
Guy's first level up. Yeah, if this is at all indicative of the norm for him, he won't be on my team for long.
FosXm7A.png
ghTGmDD.pngGDxcLoD.png
With some help from Lyn, Farina gets her first level up! I can tell this is the start of a beautiful friendship.
gdmbeNZ.png
Oh, Sain~
GJAjYE9.png
Well. Unfortunately it doesn't have an iron axe for Serra, but I guess a hand axe or two couldn't hurt... Plus, an iron bow for Florina, of course.
eSJ5lMW.pngAwfAnz8.pngbndxFbc.png
Yoink!
3qZjun6.png
Bug doesn't look too bad as a mage. Also, Magic triangle! :D
8TjpEjg.png
Will really couldn't care less about your little fire-pillars.
WwmxxnD.png6kA57Mw.png
Here are the boss' stats... Yeah, I clearly need to do something about this power discrepancy.
n2nUjgx.png
Farina deals the finishing blow.
RjJ4w77.png
Yup, I definitely like the cut of her jib.

See you tomorrow for chapters 6 and 7! As always, feedback'd be great.

Edited by The Magus

Does anyone know of a way for me to buff the bosses and debuff Karel, Jaffar, and co to bases that are a bit more reasonable for their level? I mean, I guess I could just go into Nightmare and guess as to what each character/boss should have statwise, but I don't think I know the game well enough to make informed decisions there. Also, it sounds tedious as all get-out.

[spoiler=Chapters 6-7: Day of the Living Dead]

TaeYs1s.pngqusGVOw.png
Chapter 6!
WhhBoh2.pngIN9fpd7.pngIJ1eUmr.png
Rath's a mage. Interestingly, he doesn't seem to have gotten his recruitment randomized like our last three recruits. Could it be that characters who are recruited through events - like villages or the chapter story - aren't randomized in Lyn mode, and only those who actually appear on the map and have to be talked to are?
Also, he has a C-rank instead of A. I guess that weird glitch with weapon levels starting at A only applies to characters with their recruitments randomized?
Sorry that I don't have a screen of his palette - I thought I took one during his scripted crit, but I timed it wrong and got a white screen.

h2a4YAg.png

1wmnZkB.pngtTsJUEa.pngGPemfoy.png
Meet Eliwood the thief, our Matthew replacement! And... huh, so he starts with a C in swords despite having his recruitment randomized... Does it have to be both the character and the character slot's class randomized for it to happen? I'd guess that he didn't start with A swords because he already had swords in his vanilla class, but Guy also used swords and he got auto-A-ranked... How strange.
Sorry that I don't talk about the bases much on recruitment - I don't really pay enough attention most of the time to have an idea as to what the norm for a class would be, so I don't have anything to compare it to and I'm too lazy to look them all up on the wiki.
6OiTMC8.png
3L9cObg.pngN1ZZcQD.png
Uhhhhh... Something seems wrong here. I guess the scripted battle scene at the beginning of this chapter doesn't like the randomizer...
TP18EiB.png
So, I decided to play around with this bizarre zombie-soldier. First, I tried to have Serra attack him with her shiny new Hand Axe. It missed, but at the end of the combat the soldier realized it was dead and vanished. However, Serra only got miss exp, not kill exp.
When I had her use the Swordslayer instead, she hit the soldier for no damage, but got 33 exp. When I tested her against a nearby level one soldier she got 30 exp, so I'm assuming this was kill exp and not just damage exp. Wow, that's way too many instances of the letters exp in a single block of text.
Anyways, since I didn't want to waste a Swordslayer use, I let Guy have the kill.
eRsLK9Y.png
Also, this house gave me a door key.
IyyDuzv.pngIyyDuzv.pngquSWi6q.png

I have Will weaken a Mercenary so that Serra can pick him off without wasting swordslayer uses. It doesn't pan out, so I give the kill to Florina instead.
zrJQv73.png
One switch down.
1uc0ywm.pngpFB8ckD.png
I have Will weaken a mercenary, and he responds by getting speed!
7rZLShz.png1OV8V9f.png
Guy takes the kill. Meanwhile, Serra attempts to bait out the soldier guarding the door. It doesn't work.
JHOukBi.png
Never stood a chance.
QrmGbnK.png
One to go.
yC5qk0l.pngpo3mNkL.png
...Figures. We finally get a boss with actual stats, and he spawns with a weapon he can't even use.

...Man, I wish thieves could steal weapons just about now...
N7gt4n8.pngJy5svdy.png
Eliwood decides to start working on the archer. His palette isn't anything outstanding, but at least it doesn't look like garbage - and the red hair actually looks pretty cool on the Thief sprite. Only real bug is the red outline clashing with the blue cloak.
cKDmFjt.png
Eliwood finishes off that archer, and Kent carries Serra up to deal with the remaining soldier. I could finish this chapter a lot faster, but I'm trying to fight enemies with characters of the same or lower level whenever possible, and that soldier's only level one.
RzvMyNN.png
...At least speed is good?
Also, that guy was carrying a door key.
5trjQiN.pngpwb8nYD.png4aKjr4M.png
f3UdrB1.pngtOTyAgC.pngbo4oiHS.png
...That was just sad.
Xpy8mPb.pngypMRS6Y.png
Yay!
mOZDa0M.png1vbXvfk.png
Our first preparations screen! It's... It's beautiful...
h9mny2M.png
This is what our deployments look like. Eliwood and Will take Guy and Sain's vulneraries, respectively. Also, Eliwood offloads the Armourslayer and Angelic Robe on Sain for safekeeping.
R8W1tTc.png
We have one droppable this chapter.
P9vqGYc.pngxXJGpE6.pnglhTG3ns.png
First off, here's Louise, replacing Nils. I guess there are worse characters to lose forever at the end of Lyn Mode. I have to wonder, though - how's the Ninian-Nils stat transfer going to work when they're not in effectively the same class?
vVMtEkM.pngSU5WBb0.pngVUpYiE4.png
Our other recruit this chapter is Dart, replacing Lucius. He's better than or equal to Kent in every way except for Speed and Resistance.
6I5IvCr.pnga7OSBuC.pnggtrbUyn.png
Will continues his role of weakening enemies so that weaker units can finish them off. Louise looks like... Ugh.
6xpdLKj.png0BYWfRX.png
Same thing goes for Dart. I'm sorry, but these palettes actually hurt to look at. @_@
ubKdWkN.pngYPWn8dU.png
Kent buys a heal staff.
cx2zwk0.pngeI0ucg6.png
322SvqQ.png
Nice level, Eliwood!
You know, I really don't understand why everyone seems to think he's bad...
aLsbQ5a.pngsHUdhdz.png2grsPtx.png2grsPtx.pngN7Yoc35.png
Some stuff happens that I don't really feel compelled to narrate play-by-play.
77yMZvH.png
I got an item I'll probably never use!
qiogwhZ.pngasRrl9K.png
Whoops! Make that "an item I'll definitely never use."
Lp5wJny.pngvyyrG8m.pngdRzqMcr.pngLpSQF6l.pngCRGPMER.png
Florina and Louise work on taking out a Mercenary while the rest of the team head around the other way.
LXXxdF0.pngkdjQk26.png
The darn mercenary ran away. And he's poisoned. Guess I'll have to give Serra the kill... Also, Eliwood and the mage exchange misses.
octOHpX.pngV3IAMQQ.pngbwvNHPJ.pngOkNtDmx.png
Will gets a good level.
GJGEeGd.pngGqs8a6h.png
Florina carries Louise closer to the party.
ioIe4ws.png
It's at this point that I remember that I still have to grind Louise up to level 7 over the remaining 4 chapters, and that I can't just have someone stand still and get the Play command spammed on them.
Jq5Ge4A.png
Rescue/Take shenanigans ensue.
eybTIbU.pngDWFd2bJ.pngbp1pGkJ.png2wsecs1.png
E7lneeo.png1KnlWoC.png
Boss stats. Pathetically weak again...
J7d1Gn3.png1y87UgM.png
Nice palette. Farina and her sister work together to kill him.
b8DWT55.png
This girl is the best :3
ySxwa3D.png
Nah, without you we couldn't have looted those chests last chapter! Also, when did you slip away to rescue Ninian...?
zXW8mS0.png
This goes without saying.

Join me next time for chapter 7x! And also maybe for chapter 8, depending on how many screens each one takes - this one just about rammed up against the limit...

Edited by The Magus

I don't think there's any reliable method of rebalancing bases without going into Nightmare for your units, but for bosses&generics you might be able to just rerandomize the same rom with increased enemy growths&buff bosses checked. I don't know of any side effects from using an already randomized rom, but I don't think it'd break anything if you only try to modify something that wasn't modified before (I'd still make a backup if you wanna try that, but it's just a suggestion)

I don't think there's any reliable method of rebalancing bases without going into Nightmare for your units, but for bosses&generics you might be able to just rerandomize the same rom with increased enemy growths&buff bosses checked. I don't know of any side effects from using an already randomized rom, but I don't think it'd break anything if you only try to modify something that wasn't modified before (I'd still make a backup if you wanna try that, but it's just a suggestion)

Yeah, I was actually thinking of doing that - I'll definitely back up my rom and save first, though!

Alright, so I decided to try rerandomizing the ROM with only the buff enemy growths option selected, as theguru suggested, in the hope that it would work since the only thing being randomized wasn't already changed. I went with 75% buffed growths, since I don't think I could survive 100% buffed.

Sorry that it's been a few days, stuff came up. Anyways...

[spoiler=Chapters 7x-8: Eye of the Louise]

PPF2qhQ.pngqun7t3X.pngct0P25K.png
Here's our unit deployment for today. Lyn also handed the Mani Katti off to Sain for safekeeping.
CGjW3mi.png
One droppable this map. However...
u4LoqyQ.pngtsvxIvn.pngbrxGNvF.png[http://i.imgur.com/LF16KYD.png[/img]AuFLt9m.png
There're also a few stealables hanging around.
MRlm3KZ.png
Crap, I didn't think about the fact that that mage would attack Florina... RIP door key.
QONhwKI.png
On the other hand, Florina's bow rank went up!
BDiMxDv.pnglLRP0nK.pnggWPwrHT.pnge11aIgB.pngUa2RNPM.pngPXDGAbm.png
Some killing happens, and Guy gets... a... Guy. You're walking on thin ice, capiche?
Also, there's Rath's palette. It looks pretty good!
i9VgLZ9.pngQSlaSes.png
Farina and Eliwood work together to take down the wall leading into the treasure room while Florina takes care of the archer on the other side.
meLyULR.pngkig85Pq.png
Eliwood loots the chest and Lyn misses a hand-axe hit...
dDWDYx1.png8iNEIzh.png
...so that Louise can get a kill!
qrtHA8F.png0RMeVPF.pngukCRzTr.png
Will continues to excel at feeding kills. Eliwood doesn't seem too grateful, though...
KIN1hvo.pngCKHFr60.png
Farina fails to follow in Will's footsteps - but on the other hand, at least she took no damage! I will never get tired of that "tink!" effect...
uPQrvPC.pngaRg1FWT.png7IsT0Ox.pngtP6vUGi.png
Let's try this again...
ndzBGEd.png
Aw yeah, now that's a level!
k4pYwYd.png
The next couple of turns are just going to be me luring out these two mercenaries and feeding them to Louise. Of all the classes the Nils replacement could have been, she had to be an armour knight...
PrEIZRZ.pngQYGBigL.png
While that's going on, here are the boss' stats. Starting to look bossier already!
g46Mgax.pngPXUr8JH.pngwiRtRwp.pngeEzbkW2.png
Some more leveling occurs.
fBbxmpg.pngxLqaJfi.pngzOauwxd.png
Bossy he may be, but it seems our friend Beyard forgot to pack a ranged weapon. Honestly, that's probably good for me... If Farina tried to fight him with her Iron Lance, he could have ORKOed her!
DOsJE4J.pngX5PcshP.png
yfOyZUr.pngcasLz6V.png
Well, that shouldn't be too hard.
RUiA672.pngJYbQNT1.png
Here's our deployment. Only three levels to go before I can bench Louise...
kj0j1GH.pngBCUvzEH.png
No droppables or stealables this time, so have the boss stats instead! Alas, poor, rangelocked Yogi doesn't really stand a chance.
sbJGJTR.png4F20Py3.png
Farina reluctantly donates her javelin to the greater good. She'll want extra for that!
iH5xdkq.pngY3st8g4.png
Rath goes shopping. It would have been Guy the Useless, but his inventory's full...
Anyways, we get an iron axe for Serra, and an iron lance for Louise.
ROdhzhZ.pngT05mCR3.pngysWX6uQ.png4n8b0iX.pngtwAoclV.png
Once the mage and shaman to the east are dead, the rest of the team flee thataway so that Louise can take on the approaching cavaliers.
LozflSh.pngcD9OSGI.pngeFqqmcG.png
Meanwhile, Rath and Farina tag-team a brigand so that Dart can heal Florina.
Man, you know a character's good when I run out of ways to compliment her level-ups... Levels up? ...Levels. You know what I mean.
8StQWp5.png
Tanking like a pro.
IsdGWji.pngyIMzwgB.pngOlOUC4t.pngTmUdUIi.pngCWwpRFN.png
Louise takes care of the archer while Serra heads up to eliminate a soldier that thought he could sneak up on us.
SVNW7PY.pngllnfDX1.png
Serra laughs at mere Axereavers.
llnfDX1.png
Serra also laughs at good levels, apparently.
cvA6NBR.png
Louise lures out the Swordreaver brigand.
wT3ynHi.png
...Come to think, why isn't Yogi on a fort? Huh.
ZZTFndJ.png
Louise decides to chip Yogi a bit so that I can start using everyone equally again.
C0jXONQ.png
...Wow. Well, that doesn't matter. What matters is that now that one of the 19xx requirements is filled, I can stop feeding Louise all of the kills!
69l3PHt.pngJ4xTU5s.png
Lyn takes the- (that picture's from the end of the battle. I missed the "miss" effect...)
CXpRNfP.pngmsdMcmm.png
Will takes the kill. Also, wow... Yogi looks like he came from the Bizarro world or something.
nQIS9V0.png
Will, I had higher hopes for you than this!

Well, on that thoroughly underwhelming note, join me next time for Chapters 9 and 10! That's right, we're finally finishing Lyn mode!

...Is what I'd say, except I'm going to be off on a trip next week. Soooo, there might not be any updates for a while if I can't get a version of VBA to work on the Linux laptop I've been using on trips since my main computer's hinges gave out.

• 2 weeks later...

And I'm back! Sorry it's been a while, I didn't have a chance to really get anything done on the trip, and then I had my wisdom teeth out yesterday.

[spoiler=Chapter 9: Taking Flight]

cgZzjLH.png4POQ97W.png
Oh, so is that the business Eliwood was off on that kept me from deploying him last chapter? You have to admit, that's a pretty funny coincidence.
1s2l0Lk.png
Eliwood, you liar.
jLpK2fV.pngJkE1bUO.png
Deployment.
dOSMmow.pngW4uKdNT.png6AHHbgn.png
And our Wallace replacement is Dorcas, the pegasus knight! Unfortunately, I'm gonna try not to use him that much, since there's a good chance that I'll never see him again after Lyn mode...
tk2epAQ.pngh5ioaSA.pngM4lcCCf.pngNEewVaK.png
Farina and Will decide to choke the bottom bridge while the rest of the team, sans Louise and Dart, head up northward. Eliwood grabs a torch so that he can see through the fog that's rolling in - and if that lets our team see further as well, then that's not exactly his fault, is it?
OeskTr0.png
Dorcas crushes a soldier underneath his pegasus' hooves.
F9f3r8p.pngMN0n4vW.pngYyRIUXI.png
MmUxkMQ.png
Trying to get Eliwood some exp.
MkqDcWB.png
Annnnd fog of war-ness! Honestly, I kind of hate Fog of War in IS games. I'm sorry, but the fact is that the AI cheats like crap! Maybe I wouldn't mind it if they wasted moves in ambushes and such, too...
Wn8EzTy.pngdmlCOOu.png
Rath weakens a bandit for Serra, who completely whiffs her chance.
PRL6dpW.png
As does Lyn.
TcBhWih.png
Eliwood's kind of low on health, so Louise defends him until Dart can get in range.
UHf034B.pnggU8F5Vo.png
Serra finally takes care of her bandit on the enemy phase, then works with Guy to save Dorcas from a sneaky archer.
uSjqzHt.pngDxdvZFL.png
Ooookay, maybe I'm being a bit too reckless. Retreat!
YlHDQlP.pngFLdqIeS.png
That's better.
OnrnozU.pngAtHmwPZ.png
Farina will be gladly taking that axereaver!
uOKbx8g.png
Even if she doesn't need it just yet...
QQzwnnD.png
He's a healer; so long as he gets magic, I'm happy.
iWJi2qg.pngVKdCaeD.png
Well, uh... At least there's speed?
Yeah, Guy is /so/ benched.
kt255ca.png
And Rath cleans up after him.
C7Mj1d8.png
Most of the team is advancing towards Eagler; Eliwood hangs back to deal with the last bandit.
fQUU1eG.pngc6BUuFu.pngpnp2e8R.png
Here's Eagler! He's, uh... not too bad, considering our team's general stats, I guess? It still feels weird seeing stats that low on a promoted unit, though.
...Man, I wish Eliwood could steal one of those Lunas for Will...
O515udK.pngvSTsQNT.png
zbmrFGQ.png
That sure is an ex-pegasus knight level.
MMzDT3u.pngPS3ZdrM.png
Serra gets a flashy crit and a... Well, then.
spCv1vG.pngErL2oeo.png
Farina is currently my highest level unit that won't be disappearing for the rest of the game, so she gets the bosskill. I want to waste as little exp as possible!
XwKWCmJ.png
Wow, this chapter's RNG must hate me, level-wise...
gpK2R1A.pngFrLM6cr.png
I had Guy carry Lyn over to the Gate so that she wouldn't take forever getting through the forests.

[spoiler=Chapter 10: The Lungdren Haul]

8V9F8Cz.png
Here we are... the end of Lyn mode, at last!
8UrpZRa.png
Here's our formation! The game is nice enough to let us use all of our units on the final chapter, a neat little thing I've never noticed before.
V9LzmTR.png2xo3kyN.pngvpfXglH.png
And here's Lundgren! He's... Yikes. Now that's more what I think of when I think "promoted boss". It's honestly kind of worrying! Of course, if worst comes to worst, at least he's melee-locked. I'll try not to resort to cheezing him with ranged, but it may be my only choice...
FKcndg1.png
Farina's also hanging on the the Knight Crest, just in case...
0g4pZeG.png
Charge!
Uxn3B26.png
...Whoop de fluxing doo. Does anyone actually like weather in FE7?
h6QotAC.png4EBoxjj.png
Ys3k9oX.pnglNNBiz5.png
Will is still the best at giving people kills and oh sweet Elimine why is Farina so good?
IbFvMlj.png
If it wasn't for the stupid rain, I could have moved someone up to chip this guy so Eliwood wouldn't have to waste Lancereaver uses... Then again, this /is/ the last chapter with it.
1G16zrT.pngSrxJaoh.png
I sent Dorcas down south to snag the village early, figuring that there was no danger of him grabbing unnecessary exp since the only enemy down here was a shaman. It kind of backfired.
0BuE2NL.png
...At least he can go shopping?
powLsIg.png
Hey, Kent actually got magic! Still, too little, too late.
1m1HUyP.png
Dorcas buys Florina a steel bow.
MlC0Ns8.png
A bandit tries to get to the village, but he has to get through Will first. You know, it's a pity that this guy's probably gonna be a different character when I leave Lyn mode, I would have loved to see his palette as a druid...
mx2PpsW.png
Farina crits a mercenary. Unfortunately, I was a bit too slow on the draw to capture the actual crit animation.
RY7mmqQ.pngSv36bsF.png
Will moves aside so that Eliwood can take care of the bandit, snagging a pretty good level in the process!
XXHLKcS.png
Dorcas picks up a spare Heal from the vendor, just in case.
SJbldJB.png
Farina grabs another level choking the bridge.
EEqYqpY.png
And Lyn lays down one last crit, for the road!
YLsssx8.png
elkAGQz.png
Serra grabs a crit, too. I still need to get way better at screencapping these...
qZtLFuI.png
Lyn hammers the crap out of Lundgren's last knight, because it'd be kind of a pity to go all this way without using it once.
wzcM4cH.png
Farina heads down to start battle with Lundgroh goodness no. This is not going to work.
7yH8SFC.png5VQZt96.png
All righty then, looks like we're doing this the hard way.
S58rZo5.png
Lundgren's got a pretty cool palette as a Hero, I must say.
Vsgx0QU.png
Serra tosses Lyn her Swordslayer, just in case.
fThTFpj.png
And Will misses Lundgren.
H401kxb.pngVxDnIe7.png
Kent ferries the Javelin back to Farina, so that she can...
NsYhIR1.png
Also miss the darn guy.
igtDNtt.png
Farina gets the first hit on Lundgren, and the rest of the chapter's gonna basically just look like this. I'll see you when something interesting happens.
sMer8Xc.png
4ObliK3.png
So, a few turns later, we finally have Lundgren down to a theoretically killable hp total. Now there's just on thing to do...
6Xsppf9.pngpfB3CBJ.png
Aw yeah.
So, I savestated here in order to check and see if I could carry over items with the characters who had their recruitments randomized. I couldn't. As such, I'll be using the angelic robe and energy ring here, and the knight's crest will, alas, go unused.
OeQo9Df.pngln6QWrJ.png
Eliwood grabs both power-ups.
5Jy42Zi.png
kVXyVI4.pngkwj1vwv.png
VuDeh6h.pngivv8EXO.png
And here are the team's final stats!
OqcBxIs.png

And there you have it, Lyn mode is finally over! I'll check the poll at around noon (MTN) tomorrow, so if there's anyone who still wants to vote on my route, you only have until then to do so! See you next time!

The votes are in, and it's time to start Karel Mode!

[spoiler=Chapters 11-12: Down to the Wire]

SFgWg4p.png
Karel mode it is!
ZpbaTNa.png
Eliwood's unchanged from the end of Lyn Mode, apart from having a new inventory.
7fbGLAw.pngSPHf1J7.png
So here's our new protagonist, Karel! Of course, we've seen him a while ago when I started the poll, but I don't see any harm in refreshing memories. And man, that Emblem Blade and its 60 uses... <3
as2vsGz.pngUq1Prk4.png
And here's the boss, Wire. The randomizer successfully transformed one of the few non-generic bandit earlygame bosses in FE into a generic bandit earlygame boss. Well... well done, randomizer. Yay.
hhaoy76.pngF3sAXPZ.png
Oh dear Yune, no. Nope, nope, nope.
QbzL9Xw.png
noooope. How can you get such a terrible palette by changing one unmounted sword-user to another? ._.
lyXFRwC.png
Not exactly the best first level I could hope for... Then again, with those bases I guess I'm not really allowed to complain.
g2ZohPP.png
It looks like the enemy growth buffs worked out, though! Even with an Armourslayer, Karel can't kill this knight without running a chance of death himself!
K6Dmu4k.png
Buuut, what if I just...
SXCWadA.png6DTQgXj.pngQQCqzf5.png
Perfect! Eli even got a crit and a level for my trouble!
60m2SI4.png8I56xFq.png
...And a weapon level and a vulnerary! Wow, this guy doesn't mess around!
UTcsBTY.pngjqzhnnN.png
Thank you very much...
J3WxkMM.pngRx1WzRt.png[
Even with his higher stats, Karel's still technically a lower level than Eliwood. He'll get more EXP for killing things.
cnawfB8.png
nbC2OsG.pngy2iPBVm.png
A less disappointing level and a vulnerary, huzzah! I'm going to need as many of both as I can get to survive this!
hbp6G66.pngeHW4UnZ.png
g02R3Nt.png
...I can't decide if that palette is just plain terrible, or kinda cool.
96OYaoN.png
Wheee.
55MUonC.png
Oh, crap - I did NOT think this through. Wire does 11 damage to Karel. If he hits this enemy phase, then I'm -
0Wtsa81.png
...Or he could just waste more time finishing his vulnerary?
jKwoFnb.png
Two can play at that game!
CvUtJjB.pngCyRO3p9.png
Okay, wow. This one definitely got pretty close. Good thing the last hit's on the player phase!
nDU9lFU.png
I have a feeling I may come to regret buffing the enemies' growths...
Sp2Sbwq.png
But for now, it's time for NEW UNITS!
First of all, Guy and Farina tagged along, since they replaced Serra and Dorcas. Apart from them, though, we've got:
ybqeJA4.png5GmwQUm.png
Replacing Oswin, Lowen the Wyvern Rider! I love earlygame fliers!
aEbQCQr.pngFDnEII2.png
Replacing Eliwood, Jaffar the Thief! Yeah, we've seen him before.
OpY0Uoy.pngHRRDgdQ.png
Replacing Marcus, Raven the Assassin! Wow, Raven, you're... really taking your vow of revenge on Hector seriously there! Also, that's some CRAZY overspecialization in stats...
sMr5Ior.pngU90S9Xe.png
Replacing... Lowen or Rebecca I think, Geitz the Soldier! Sorry, but Farina's already way outstripped you.
jPBqYlx.pnggWfl0uZ.png
Replacing... Rebecca or Lowen I think, Marcus the Mage! And neat, he even comes preequipped with an early Elfire tome! I have a feeling you and I are gonna get along juuuust fine.
jobaHzP.pngReqwjBE.png
And last but not least, replacing Bartre, Sain 2.0 the Myrmidon! You'd better not fail me like your Lyn mode clone did!
bYhTK1Z.png8DsFiDE.png
Eliwood trades the red gem to Lowen, who flies down to rendezvous with Jaffar and Co, as well as the shops.
vyPU8bj.png
Sorry, Geitz. Maybe next time.
RBqcRfp.png
Anyways, down south, we have most of the team huddled behind the non-Geitz level one units, so that they can get some exp.
n8ryCHL.png
Up north, Karel starts wrecking things, letting Guy chip in with, well, chip damage where he can.
fpKdUmy.png
...Skill and speed are good! Yay?
HHz75g2.png
I've missed you, No Damage effect... :'3
eCl1QOD.png
Sain's palette is pretty weird.
0O8jvvL.png
s2I71kk.png
Hey! For a mounted unit randomized into a foot unit, Marcus doesn't look half bad!
fbQs52J.png
DHpVBrp.png
...Whooooops! I feel like an idiot - I forgot that Sain took some heavy damage from the archer that assaulted him last turn. I'll, uh, I'll be right back.
3qqKwOe.pngBKLBEg5.png
Alright, so while you wait, have some boss stats! This guy could actually be tough if he wasn't rangelocked.
96ynSXF.png
...Wow. That is a MUCH better level this time around.
4iVYKYz.pnghQkA10T.png
Anyways, with that done with I decided to take a chance to see a couple of the other palettes for units I'm not planning to use and... huh. Geitz decided to pull off a crit. A 2% crit. You know what, maybe the guy deserves a chance after all...
93SXNp1.png
Raven finishes the crippled archer for the sake of exhibiting his own palette. Not too bad.
v7ComaA.png
Yup, I think I'm glad he's not the main lord.
MEeN9W2.png
Lowen grabs a couple of vulneraries for the road.
sKYuWgv.png
Karel sits atop his mountain, ready to slay any and all who challenge him...
CEQdiot.pngcERPIUR.png
Simply beautiful.
z7x0gb5.png
Guy takes the time to buy an iron everything-but-bow. Just in case. Farina also stops by to grab a spare iron lance.
H8wH30K.pngiAPd9cr.png
Raven lures the boss into the open...
0Owcp5L.png
...So that I can do this!
0Owcp5L.pnguIR1W8V.png
Not the greatest palette, but what can you do?
Anyways, you can see where this is going.
Oh3rJ5K.png
Also, this happens.
nPEpPkT.pngi3trrh8.png
Yyyyup. You know, those long bosses really take it out of you...

See you next time, for chapters 13 and 14!