Why

They only ever seem to appear in forts, so it's not like it's impossible to predict them.

The annoying part is that sometimes, reinforcements are carrying droppable items, which REALLY agravates me, because I can never remember which ones carry them until AFTER they appear. The only ones I can remember for sure are the Speedwing and Armorslayer in chapter 9 from the reinforcements that appear in the top-left forts, and they spawn so far away from my group by the time they actually spawn.

Not each chapter has forts, though.

That is true...

Though typically it is fairly predictable to know where or where they will appear based on dialogue, especially since the bosses of this game always seem to feel the need to shout the fact that reinforcements will appear at some point.

For instance, Chapter 7 has Wyvern Riders appear around where Cordelia first appears, and she states that more will appear soon.

Chapter 9 has more Wyvern Riders appear just behind where the army first spawns, and the boss exclaims that some troops are missing.

And I guess there's Yarne's paralogue chapter where enemies spawn on the opposing side you chose to fight, or both if you choose to attack both.

And then theres Grima's teleportation sigils...

But typicaly, enemies appear in stairs and fortresses when reinforcements appear. Though I can't think of many more...

This mainly aggravated me in chapter 13. Yeah Henry tells you reinforcements will come from forts, but he doesn't say when, and reinforcements spawned on the south forts and just insta-killed Olivia. I was prepared for them next time but then the wave after that got me. I eventually just said fuck it and had Stahl rush Archer!Chrom through the middle valley with Knight!Robin and Knight!Sumia tanking the enemies, then had Chrom crit-kill the boss with a killer bow.

And before you all ask why I'm using those weird as hell reclasses, it's a random reclass run.