Your reasoned opinion on "canon" pairings

GamingPandas

Unfortunately no pairings has been canonized. Unless we find unique mother-child supports. Supports where children's lines are changed significantly. In this case, Subaki x Luna which is unfortunately IK exclusive.

The closest to a 'canon' pairing I've seen in this game is Mamui x Azura. They get unique supports in Nohr, Hoshido and IK. The end scene of IK changes if you're married to her. It's a shame Azura's the worst character in terms of personality in the game.

Ok so Azura and MAvatar seems to be "canon" right?

Is there any plot dialogue that changes like if you married Lucina in FEA?

Also, why is it that Hinoka cannot support with Zero? Or am I not knowing something? Because to me, this game seems to have the most supports per character with other characters.

Also, why is it that Hinoka cannot support with Zero? Or am I not knowing something? Because to me, this game seems to have the most supports per character with other characters.

Because Hinoka and Zero have restricted supports in terms of people that don't come Hoshido and Nohr respectively.

Each character of the first generation can support with most other characters of the first generation from their own nation (with the exceptions of a few characters only having supports with Kamui and the royals being unable to support with their siblings) and in the third path [in most cases] gain TWO romantic supports with characters from the opposite nation.

So Hinoka, for example, can marry from among the first generation Hoshidan men (except those reserved for Kamui only and her brothers) as well two Nohrians, in this case the two Nohrian royals, Xander and Leo.

Major spoiler:

Kamui does not fall under the brothers exclusion for her because they aren't actually related by blood at all. Mikoto x Anankos --> Kamui. Sumeragi x 1st wife ---> Ryouma, Hinoka, Takumi, and Sakura. Sumeragi's 1st wife dies, then some time later he meets Mikoto, they marry [making her his 2nd wife], and Kamui becomes the blood-unrelated step-brother of Ryouma, Hinoka, Takumi, and Sakura.

In the Awakening scene where Lucina

tries to kill you

the dialogue completely changes if you are her husband or her mother.

Hinoka and Zero are only together in Invisible Knigdom, and in IK each Hoshido character has only a small number of Nohrians they can support with and vice-versa. Zero just doesn't happen to have Hinoka in his small group of Hoshidan support partners.

Edited by gayserbeam

Are you saying that Takumi x Leon is not canon D: ? But they are happy together in the IK ending D: !

I don't think there is a canon pairing yet, or at least in the parts of the game that I watched in videos, I didn't saw something that marks one as a "totally canon" (likeChrom x Sumia who is showed in the op of Awakening), MKamui x Aqua is probably the closest one, but appart of that one mmmm, nope?... And I'm thinking if Aqua's situation maybe be changed in the english release...

Anyway, I'm more into considering that "If they can S support, its canon"plus Takumi x Leon c'mon! ok no haha LoL but probably lot of people will disagree with me :sweatdrop:

Honestly I find the concept of a canon paing in a game that offers pairing choices to be a bad idea. It makes the games pairing system seem a bit pointless.

Last game it was ChromxSumia/fem!Robin that were made as close to canon as it gets.

This game we definitly have M!KamuixAqua, because she was designed as the female lead for the game as the "obvious" choice.

Sure you can just ignore it without it being penalized in any way, but to me it would be better if they just focused either one well-developed romance or treated all romantic-potential to plot irrelevant side-stuff.

Personally I would like if they had 'canon' pairings.I liked how in FEA they had a subtle hints to 'canon' parings by having some characters building up supports faster then others such as Stahl and Miriel, Henry and Olivia and Chrom and Sumia etc.

But yeah, I agree that if anything is 'canon' in this game it is Mamui x Aqua.

Personally I would like if they had 'canon' pairings.I liked how in FEA they had a subtle hints to 'canon' parings by having some characters building up supports faster then others such as Stahl and Miriel, Henry and Olivia and Chrom and Sumia etc.

But yeah, I agree that if anything is 'canon' in this game it is Mamui x Aqua.

There are supports in Fates that build faster than others, but it's mostly characters that work with each other, like Oboro and Hinata and Marx and Pieri.

Edited by Water Mage

Cool, thanks my fellow FEers.

Can anyone quickly list any pairs of S supports that just TOTALLY don't mesh well in your opinion? Not the kind of "meh" but the kind which makes you go "WTH"? or "I really despise this" or "this really doesn't/won't work - even when applying anime logic".

Honestly I find the concept of a canon paing in a game that offers pairing choices to be a bad idea. It makes the games pairing system seem a bit pointless.

No joke. It would be nice from IS to design that part of the game correctly.

Seriously, 50 waifu/husbando, for MU, only one have any focus, the rest can go straight to hell, what's the freaking point ? It doesn't help that one, they push it in our face, and two, there's bad writing at hand everywhere.

On another note, your avatar is fabulous, GoldenMapleLeaf !

Can anyone quickly list any pairs of S supports that just TOTALLY don't mesh well in your opinion? Not the kind of "meh" but the kind which makes you go "WTH"? or "I really despise this" or "this really doesn't/won't work - even when applying anime logic".

Going to start with what everyone is thinking about... Kamui's S with ANY of the siblings.

Just NO! I don't care if they are not related by blood, it doesn't take away the fact they think of each other as siblings.

Besides the obvious Kamui x Siblings (I haven't read them, but I'm also staying away from Azura x Siblings because it just feels wrong), Most of Elise's are rather bad... mostly due to the fact that Elise is so innocent and everything about the S-ranks feel awful. Zero x Elise is the worst offender in my opinion because of how lewd Zero is and how oblivious Elise is.

Some ones with Jakob feel weird too considering it goes from C-A with Jakob being an unbearable ass to "Marry me dammit" at the S-rank. And of course, the woman always agrees because why the hell not, you were a jerk, but now I think I'll spend the rest of my life with you. But that's personal opinion and I don't really understand the full lengths of "anime logic", so hey.

F!Kamui x Gunter is also weird. A-rank is all like "I think of you as a Father" and then S-rank goes all marriage and love and stuff. It's just... no.

Yeah out of all the the potential romances in the game the one that can most be considered to be canon is Mamui X Aqua like so much so it blast a hole through 5 castle walls the way the game ships them in all three routes. It doesn't help that for other possible pairings with the rest of the ladies that Kamui is a major Aquaholic and that most of their supports with him are for the most part very forgettable and/or poorly handled among these being Kagerou, Crimson. Kazahana, and Soleil. It doesnt help that Kamui doesn't have a distinct personality.

For other pairings there is some context and history.

We have Oboro and her canon crush on Takumi and Saizou with his Ex-

Kagerou

But aside from those two the rest are rather up in the air.

Going to start with what everyone is thinking about... Kamui's S with ANY of the siblings.

Just NO! I don't care if they are not related by blood, it doesn't take away the fact they think of each other as siblings.

I definitly agree with you on part of the Nohrian siblings. There is no way that getting together with someone you thought was your sibling until a few months (weeks?) ago can feel natural. Even if Marx knew, (did he? I don't really know), having Kamui reciprocate so easily is just awkward. On the Hoshidan side it is slightly more understandable since most of them barely know/remember you and the whole sibling thing isn't quite as heavily established in their minds.

But one problem remains: they still refer to you as sister/brother afterwards. Who the hell would do that?

It seems very poorly thought out, like a lot of the non-gameplay stuff in this game.

Besides the obvious Kamui x Siblings (I haven't read them, but I'm also staying away from Azura x Siblings because it just feels wrong), Most of Elise's are rather bad... mostly due to the fact that Elise is so innocent and everything about the S-ranks feel awful. Zero x Elise is the worst offender in my opinion because of how lewd Zero is and how oblivious Elise is.

Some ones with Jakob feel weird too considering it goes from C-A with Jakob being an unbearable ass to "Marry me dammit" at the S-rank. And of course, the woman always agrees because why the hell not, you were a jerk, but now I think I'll spend the rest of my life with you. But that's personal opinion and I don't really understand the full lengths of "anime logic", so hey.

F!Kamui x Gunter is also weird. A-rank is all like "I think of you as a Father" and then S-rank goes all marriage and love and stuff. It's just... no.

The first line of Takumi's freaking confession scene is "Thank you, sister." That's enough to make me pretend that S Support doesn't exist.

Ryouma's prolly the least offending of the Hoshidan sibling S ranks, since at least he knew all along and operates under that knowledge. The other three are just "lmao Mikoto had a letter ready just in case you think you're in love with your not-actual-sibling"

But really as much as I'm utter lobster trash, I'd have preferred to not be able to S rank any of the siblings, adopted or otherwise. It would've been better story-wise IMO. now that they gave me that option on ryouma however...i have no principle

As for S ranks that annoyed me that wasn't mentioned above specifically already, Jakob x Rinka is the one that offended me most, which is a shame because I like both characters. Jakob actually have several supports where his S doesn't feel totally forced and work nicely with the support (Aqua and Hinoka comes to mind) but Jakob x Rinka S is one of the most contrived one of his, Jakob comes on WAY too forceful and Rinka feels entirely OOC. Their C-A was actually pretty entertaining; Just not in a shippy way and if their C-A was a standalone humor support without the S it would've been fine by me.

There's a few more of Joker's that feel really contrived as mentioned above (I think his with Kazahana was another, but I have to re-read it), the Jakob x Rinka just stands out most to me since Rinka's one of my favs and I pay attention to her more.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Wow, are there any romantic Joker/Jakob supports out there that actually make sense and not offending? Anyway on the topic of canon pairings as people already said, M!Kamui x Aqua/Azura are pretty much the closes to a canonical pairings there is in the game.

Wow, are there any romantic Joker/Jakob supports out there that actually make sense and not offending? Anyway on the topic of canon pairings as people already said, M!Kamui x Aqua/Azura are pretty much the closes to a canonical pairings there is in the game.

Joker/Aqua is pretty nice. Nothing outstanding, but it's sort of sweet and non-offending.

I think they overdid Joker's abrasiveness in most of his supports. His character isn't bad in concept, just poorly executed.

Yeah, I read the transcript for Joker/Aqua and I was surprised as it seemed like a perfectly nice support and I had heard so much about how abrasive Joker is. That said, I haven't read Joker's OTHER supports (and I was only reading the support in the first place as I was considering their parallel due to the Wyvern inheritance to Shigure and wanted to know if the support chain was at least okay), so I'm guessing that Joker's issues are much more obvious in other supports.

IIRC-and don't quote me on it since I'm at work and don't have the text dump on me but-I think the C-A is exactly the same as the male supports anyway, so should be.

There's a few S'es of Jokers where he handles the S in at least kind of a civil manner, even if he was kinda abrasive in the C-A. There's even S ranks where he handled it with pretty good grace. Joker x Rinka, however, was basically "YOU MARRY ME OR ELSE" and honestly, if it weren't for the everyone marries everyone thing that makes Rinka marry him, if she was written even one bit in character in that S, with that attitude of his proposal, she'd just have punched him in the face and left.

Like that's just not how you fucking propose, and it sucks because Joker's actually capable of proposing like a normal human being, but some of his S's are just like, ???????

Edited by Thor Odinson