Your reasoned opinion on "canon" pairings

GamingPandas

"Canon" is probably Oboro/Takumi and Flora/Joker (that one is onesided, for sure), but I think we've already said that, so idk.

Personally, I found Jakob/Felicia's supports hella bad, despite the fact I'm pairing them up. He insults her C-A, and then suddenly cries and asks her to marry her in S iirc. But that seems to be most Jakob supports?

Orochi and Hinata's S support is strange, too. Pairing them up at some point because the S support is funny, but it's also just...weird.

Ryouma's prolly the least offending of the Hoshidan sibling S ranks, since at least he knew all along and operates under that knowledge. The other three are just "lmao Mikoto had a letter ready just in case you think you're in love with your not-actual-sibling"

I swear I wouldn't let my bias get to me, but honestly I didn't find the Hoshidan brothers (Takumi and Ryouma's) to be that bad. Even though Takumi still calls you "sister" I really don't care, I've never been that squicked out by incest. I actually have more of a problem with the Nohrian siblings... of course they're not actually related to you, but I feel like that's actually more incest-like then the Hoshidan siblings since you grew up thinking they were your siblings instead of just meeting your actual ones. Ah, I'm rambling now, sorry.

And as for canon pairings, besides Kamui x Azura, wouldn't Joker x Kamui be one too since he's so "devoted" or...?

Wow, are there any romantic Joker/Jakob supports out there that actually make sense and not offending? Anyway on the topic of canon pairings as people already said, M!Kamui x Aqua/Azura are pretty much the closes to a canonical pairings there is in the game.

Besides the already mentioned Jakob x Azura, which is actually nice, I thought his supports with Kagerou and Oboro were okay... or I may be remembering wrong. But I'm 99% sure his with Kagerou was actually not bad (not as sweet as Jakob x Azura though) and 50% sure on Oboro's.

The first line of Takumi's freaking confession scene is "Thank you, sister." That's enough to make me pretend that S Support doesn't exist.

Yeah, the "nee-san" is a big turn off for me as well. And considering that Takumi and Sakura still call you older sister/older brother in the actual story and interact like your younger sibling, that doesn't help matters. They're both younger than my actual younger brother, which is an even bigger turn-off on my end.

That said, I don't believe there are any canon pairings in this game. And yes, the game can shove Kamui/Aqua in your face as much as it wants. I still don't believe that makes it canon until the developers specifically say it's canon.

I usually like canon pairings, but Oboro x Takumi just doesn't click with me, which is weird because I wanted Chrom and Cordelia to be paired together in Awakening.

Kamui x Azura is not a bad pairing, but...

The blood-relation cousin thing kinda turns me off. I have nothing against cousin marriages and know it's legal in some countries, but it's just not my cup of tea. The sibling S supports bug me too. I can't imagine marrying a cousin, much less a sibling. Not being blood-related, but Kamui growing up thinking they were is just too incest-y for my taste. And the younger siblings still calling Kamui their onee/nii-san in the storyline after S support, marriage, AND having kids is just too creepy to me.

And as for canon pairings, besides Kamui x Azura, wouldn't Joker x Kamui be one too since he's so "devoted" or...?

I feel that is Kamui x Suzukaze is more canon than with Joker, though maybe biased since I like him more than Joker who's character concept I like, but many of his supports are bad because he's too much of jerk.

I mean, Suzukaze betrays his nation to side with you in Nohr and he dies depending if you get a A support with him or not.

@Sunwoo

I don't think there are canon pairings until it's explicitly stated either. Having canon pairings in a game where you can pair up anyone with whoever you want is just a bad, bad idea.

Edited by Yuina

kamui x aqua just look the chapter 5 script and the endings on hoshido and nohr were she talks to kamui and the 3th route is the cherry on the cake they will be the next chrom x sumia xDDDD

Edited by ivanhellsing

Joker x Rinka, however, was basically "YOU MARRY ME OR ELSE" and honestly[.....] if she was written even one bit in character in that S, with that attitude of his proposal, she'd just have punched him in the face and left.

Heh heh. I won't force you or anything, but that would make a great comic (I don't actively dislike Joker, just only here). This is easily my least favorite marriage proposal so far, especially since Rinka is one of my personal favorites and I'm going to S-Rank in my Hoshido runthrough. Like, what was he going to do if she didn't accept his shitty proposal? It really rubs me off the wrong way.

Referring to the topic at hand, I don't believe in canon pairings. Yeah, besides the obvious ChromxSumia M!KamuixAqua shipping, I'd like to believe anything else goes, since it should come right down to the player's choice and not the developers. I also don't like the whole "faster supports = canon pairings" mentality because it seems so arbitrary. What I do believe in, however, is that some couples have far better chemistry than others. It's a given.

Edited by BionicKraken

Wow, are there any romantic Joker/Jakob supports out there that actually make sense and not offending? Anyway on the topic of canon pairings as people already said, M!Kamui x Aqua/Azura are pretty much the closes to a canonical pairings there is in the game.

Joker and Kagerou, surprisingly enough, are very amicable with one another. Joker isn't at all intentionally offensive to Kagerou (besides one "shut up", but it isn't all bad), and for once actually treats a non-Kamui/Aqua/royal with some level of courtesy and respect, unlike Kazahana for example.

It's refreshing.

Edited by BionicKraken

• 9 months later...

Finnally made an account on here. I've browsed forever, but never made one.

I would have to say that I enjoyed AzamaxRinkah. They were just complete asses to each other and then all of a sudden marriage. NilesxAzura worked out pretty well, as she essentially gets him to stop using such horrible language and innuendos. I suppose you could also call BennyxCharolette canon. Neither character really stuck out to me as having a partner, or they were just close enough together that they started supporting each other so I figured why not? Jacob's supports are pretty odd. I paired him with Orochi and it started with him wanting to know his future and her being real asinine about it and then next thing you know "My future is with you!"

I suppose we would like our OTPs to be canon, but this game doesn't have too many canon supports, I didn't marry Azura to Kamui in any game. M! married Beruka. (Best waifu ever.) and F! married Nishiki (Obviously best husband.) So I picked some supports that worked well as well as some that were strange.

(Edit): KeatonxPeri seemed somewhat canon to me.

Edited by Nishiki_Is_Best_Fox