Which difficulty do you think would be canon?

Kind of like how one of staff responsible for Halo said Heroic was the canon difficulty. I'm torn between it being either hard or Lunatic, but is it possible for it to be Normal?

Also, without any DLC, is it possible to beat this game without using any skills, on hard or lunatic?

By not using any skills do you mean going out of your way to literally de-equip every skill

Hard is definitely possible, anyway. Hard is not exactly hard in FE13 and you can wreck it easily with raw stats alone. Maybe if you also add on to no-pairup it'd give a bit more trouble with no skills, though.

Lunatic (non+ version) I want to say is possible, but I'm not as confident with that one. Notably, that was actually my strategy for a full-deploy Wellspring of Truth, since getting rid of player-side skills also gets rid of enemy side skills and I just use the stat advantage from pairup to overpower them while likely doing less damage so you don't die from facing too many enemies at once. Since regular Lunatic enemies don't actually have that many skills, it's likely possible.

I really don't think I want to do L+ with no skills, though. Dealing with shit like Hawkeye Luna+ with no skills? No thanks.

Edited by Thor Odinson

By not using any skills do you mean going out of your way to literally de-equip every skill

Hard is definitely possible, anyway. Hard is not exactly hard in FE13 and you can wreck it easily with raw stats alone. Maybe if you also add on to no-pairup it'd give a bit more trouble with no skills, though.

Lunatic (non+ version) I want to say is possible, but I'm not as confident with that one. Notably, that was actually my strategy for a full-deploy Wellspring of Truth, since getting rid of player-side skills also gets rid of enemy side skills and I just use the stat advantage from pairup to overpower them while likely doing less damage so you don't die from facing too many enemies at once. Since regular Lunatic enemies don't actually have that many skills, it's likely possible.

I really don't think I want to do L+ with no skills, though. Dealing with shit like Hawkeye Luna+ with no skills? No thanks.

That's interesting. And yeah, de-equipping every skill. I was actually thinking of a Robin only run on hard mode, with Chrom and a flier to carry Chrom away from the fighting. Also: could Robin, being limited to staying as a Tactician (still without dlc and skills) solo normal mode? Thanks, btw. You''ve been a huge help.

Hard, because of how ridiculously broken the Pair Up system is. And DLC grinding exists.

Edit: Might've misread the OP. Skills...hm. You do have to abuse the Pair Up system even more, with Supports and all. It may be possible, but not on Lunatic or Lunatic +.

Edited by Tragonight

Their HP are the same as in NM and if Basilio and Walhart would be able to fight each other ingame, Walhart would double Basilio for 30*2 dmg in NM (much like in the cutscene). Dunno where Basilio's 13 dmg comes from, though. I guess he trained while waiting for an opportunity to give Robin the fake gemstone.

Edited by Gradivus.

@ Normal Mode Robin solo

Okay I actually compared Robin's caps to engame boss stats on Normal and, if they're allowed to take Chrom as a pairup unequipped, then it might be able to be done--I haven't tested. A +speed Robin with an A/S rank Chrom would have like, 29+5 = 34 speed, which is good enough to double most endgame bosses (if you can beat Simia in chapter 22, get Balmung and you should be able to double Aversa in 25 with it), and I guess if you need more power just make max mt forges, or something. Enemy density is quite low on normal so I imagine you might be able to get away with picking off enemies a few at a time. Early and midgame should be fairly easy in all honesty. Lategame might pick up difficulty but I honestly don't know generic mook stats on Normal well enough so maybe they wouldn't even be a threat. I mean, I guess if you want no pairup it'd be a bit harder and Simia WILL double you so you probably can't get Balmung, but Aversa at least can't double you regardless. I guess smart use of Tonics will help.

Well, that's if you let Robin recycle Tactician forever and cap their stats in Tactician. If you just stop at one go of 20 Tact, good luck getting past Grima.

Speaking of which, though, the fucker has 35/30 Def/Res with Dragonskin, which makes hitting res a more desirable option. +Mag might actually be stronger than +Speed if you allow the unequipped Chrom pairup, since +Mag gives +2 speed mod anyway and you can slap on a tonic to make up the difference, while giving yourself more power.

I kinda want to try this now. I don't know if it's possible just through theorycrafting, but it's worth a try.

EDIT:

Okay quickly did a run through of it, allowed second seal for level cycling within Tactician itself and Chrom pairup since he has to be around anyway.

Turns out, It's doable, except the Grima bit. Game up until about 19 was pretty much mindless-mode, and then enemies can actually do some damage to you. But if you stand on a fort, they also can't hit you. 22 I just kited a bit and it was fine. Grima, however, unless you luck out on like, both enemy phase dodging and get like 3 consecutive Valflame crits at like 12% or something, or like, 4/8 Celica's gale crits at max forge, it's not happening. Even if I cheat a bit and use Chrom, Chrom can't hit for shit, so he's useless anyway.

It IS doable, however, if you allow yourself some other untrained units at base just for Final, namely Lucina (only really useful if you did FeMU, since if you do MaMU she'd have villager as a mom and none of the bases), Basilio, Olivia, and any flier. Basically, the Lunatic strat of getting backline Lucina to hit Grima through braves applies here. Basilio provides an extra nice power increase to Lucina, and unless I crit twice and Lucina hits all 4 (not likely) I'll need 2 rounds. It's still not 100% reliable, but it works.

I think MU solo final could've worked, if Grima didn't heal herself by a lot. I think I once got her to like, <30 HP then it's EP and bam heal heal back up to 78 and I'm like, no, fuck this I'm getting Lucina

Edited by Thor Odinson

Judging from the dialogue in the story, I don't think Lunatic stats are a very good fit. The cutscenes make things look especially silly on that mode (see: Chrom one-shotting that Barb in C5 or keeping up with Marth during the C4 duel). Hard would likely be the better fit.

As for doing the game with no skills, vanilla Lunatic can be overpowered with raw stats. Brave Bow Chrom!Morgan with Lucina in the back pretty much does that on my resetless Lunatic+ runs (all the skills other than Hex and Anathema are technically fluff and those can be semi-made up for by forging the Brave Bow for hit instead of crit), so the strat should be easily transferred to vanilla.

Edited by Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

I can only see Hard mode as being canon.

Normal mode is simply too easy, and Lunatic/Lunatic+ are simply too hard to fit with in-game dialogue.

Hard mode offers what I can see as the most vanilla difficulty offered by past Fire Emblems, at least if you don't exploit the Pair Up system.

Definitely hard mode. Honestly, how much sense would it make in canon Lunatic that Frederick is the only unit capable of facing ANYONE in the first few chapters of the game? Hell in Lunatic, it's a stretch to imagine Chrom being able to fight Lucina equally in Arena Ferox at all.