Blue Druid's Sprite gallery!

Blue Druid

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there aren't many shades of brown in 32-value RGB scale like there are blue or red, which makes shading tricky because the only choices you have are either reddish brown or greenish brown. It's doable, but tricky.

Edited by Blue Druid

THE SNAILS ARE ETERNAL

Wasn't thinking of that, but it does have this western-european design to it :0

1_zpsvfrht0vw.png

Also made a neat little mock up.

As a sometimes GUI aficionado, I love the overall theme and design on the frame - the silhouettes of the flowers on the boxes, the trim looking gilded, the red/blue roses in the center and the weapon box, and the "vine"-like parts that are in with the gilded filigree.

That said, I think it has a bit of a "visual overload" with a couple of areas. Notably, I think the brightness/saturation difference between the red/blue backgrounds and the darker silhouettes is enough of a gap that it can slightly overwhelm the information above it (more for the HP number, HP bar, and name than the Hit/Dmg/Crt labels and numbers). For example, even dropping the brightness on the lightest blue from 156 to 136 can keep the silhouette effect, but the drop in brightness gap isn't as overpowering to the eyes. (Similarly, dropping the orange/red from 128 to, say, 110, achieves a similar effect.)

In addition to this, as much as I love the thematic application of the dark red and blue pixels to give a "rose"-like appearance in the weapon box, as you can see in the mock up, those pixels blend in with the weapon icon and it makes both the icon and the "rose" a little less impressive looking (especially if you have a rad set of icons that you really want to show off) - they look great by themselves, but with additional graphics by and on them, it muddies the water so to say. I can't remember if each frame has to tile and mirror compared to the player's portion of the frame or if they can have their own tiles for the design, but I'd suggest limiting it to one "rose" per box, in the top right corner of both of them if possible. I'd also suggest using the darkest "gold" in the filigree to replace the dark brown - it's just a tad overpowering in the box.

Lastly, as I mentioned, I like the gilding, but I think the shading could be smoothed out across the straight line pieces - the highlight towards the left side of the enemy name box and the right side of the player name box seems very stark in how it appears, the shading on the top of the Hit/Dmg/Crt box could probably have more of a focus and shine to it (I recommend 7 pixels of white in the center, 5 of the next darker shade on either side, then 4 of the next shade down on both sides and then 5 of the final shade (instead of the original 7)), etc.

As I typed this out, I was making tweaks to the mock up, so if you'd like me to share what I was fiddling with, I can do that. I know that some people don't necessarily like other people posting edits of the original work, so I'll respect whether you'd like to see it or not.