Blue Druid's Sprite gallery!

Blue Druid

I promise-- it'll totally be worth it. It'll be excellent practice.

I know, it's just hard to begin doing. Got to start somewhere though.

That said, I think it has a bit of a "visual overload" with a couple of areas. Notably, I think the brightness/saturation difference between the red/blue backgrounds and the darker silhouettes is enough of a gap that it can slightly overwhelm the information above it (more for the HP number, HP bar, and name than the Hit/Dmg/Crt labels and numbers). For example, even dropping the brightness on the lightest blue from 156 to 136 can keep the silhouette effect, but the drop in brightness gap isn't as overpowering to the eyes. (Similarly, dropping the orange/red from 128 to, say, 110, achieves a similar effect.)

Yeah I was worried about that, but it didn't really bother me too much. But you're right, it's still apparent. It was actually meant to be a visual overload, as part of an experiment to test the engine's tile limits.

In addition to this, as much as I love the thematic application of the dark red and blue pixels to give a "rose"-like appearance in the weapon box, as you can see in the mock up, those pixels blend in with the weapon icon and it makes both the icon and the "rose" a little less impressive looking (especially if you have a rad set of icons that you really want to show off) - they look great by themselves, but with additional graphics by and on them, it muddies the water so to say. I can't remember if each frame has to tile and mirror compared to the player's portion of the frame or if they can have their own tiles for the design, but I'd suggest limiting it to one "rose" per box, in the top right corner of both of them if possible. I'd also suggest using the darkest "gold" in the filigree to replace the dark brown - it's just a tad overpowering in the box.

That's entirely true. I was looking for more details to add and ended up over-stuffing the weapon box.

As I typed this out, I was making tweaks to the mock up, so if you'd like me to share what I was fiddling with, I can do that. I know that some people don't necessarily like other people posting edits of the original work, so I'll respect whether you'd like to see it or not.

Thanks a lot for the critique! I'm very much a fan of your work as well. Also, feel free to show your tweaks. Others' edits have only been helpful in the past and I highly appreciate them.

My buddy Eliwan actually managed to insert it with a few tweaks.

b860fdd998.png

(Not a mock-up.)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my fiddles:

9ba49fd5b01674b6fe767881a57857f7.png

Lightest red/orange and blue shades darkened, weapon box reconfigured (not sure if the engine's tiling will actually allow this as I'm more in the "creator" camp than the "inserter" camp - and shadowofchaos can attest to this :( ), and filigree/gilding shading tweaked/spread out/smoothed. I didn't change the locations of the "highlights" on the gold, merely how they were shaded in those spots. (So, to sum up, pretty much everything that I mentioned in my post, just in actual image form.)

Oh, and I GBAized the palette too, since it was coming up in non-multiples of 8 when I originally saved the mock up. (...After I remembered that this was a thing that needed to be done. So, my initial suggestions for brightness values to decrease the lightest shades by aren't strictly accurate.)

Edited by Lord Glenn

Hmmm, I like the tweaks, especially the weapon box, which leaves a lot of space for the weapon icon. But the tweaks to the 1st shade of red/blue make the 2nd shades (which act as AA) much less apparent.

• 4 weeks later...

if they're less useful

why're you doing them?

Less useful doesn't equate to not useful.

Truth be told, I'm actually quite lazy and like inverse Cordelia. I'm a male that's bad at everything. So... I'm like Sumia... except I don't fall over... and I'm a man...

• 3 weeks later...

(DUMP TIME) Just some stuff i had for a while but never shared here.

These are sprites which i so far submitted to competitions (in that order):

Dutiful%20Lady%20Knight_zpsghgefbne.pngfilthy%20bounty%20hunter%20scum_zpsdwsb7Guts_zpsnmqgibzz.png

Angry & Sad Roys, Angry Bors: (Playing with expressions)

all_zpsnfdf2no7.png

My unfinished take on that fighter card fad we spriters are doing these days:

342a2d33c8.png

And a WiP armoured griffon concept sprite I've been doing.

f8955a29d0.png

Marcus with damaged armour coloured like his actual artwork: (with biiiig thanks to BwdYeti for his help with the scratches on his left pauldron)

aa492a1694.png

And Armoured Dieck:

371793d7b3.png

And also have this completely random and pointless Melinus recolour

a6275834a1.png

I really want to get better with my spriting but I don't have much time these days.

Edited by Blue Druid

0 outta 10 not shirtless Dieck...

In all seriousness though, sick new sprites, I like that notMerlinus portrait, 11/10 originality :D

Sad Roy just looks like he's avoiding an awkward conversation, like: "Oh...ummm....yeahh.....about that...."

• 4 weeks later...