FE9 Film, Thoughts?

Ephera

Am I the only one who reckons Path of Radiance would make a F**KING GOOD full length Jap-anime film?
I prefer FE7 as a game, but 9 has an amazing plot I'd love to see in a film. Tonnes of detail and relatable to the real world I think. I play that game more for the story than the gameplay to be honest. I'd comment also on Radiant Dawn, but I can't find a place to buy that f**king game anywhere -_____-

What do y'all think? Is there a more fitting game for an anime film in your opinion?
Or would a film ruin your love for the series?

I wholeheartedly agree with you, what with the double antagonists being in the form of BK and the Mad King himself.

There's enough drama around Greil and all, and the characters are all interesting in their own rights. Path of Radiance had amazing dialogue and better voice acting and character personalities than Radiant Dawn.

Yeah exactly, there's more depth in this game than any other FE I've played (not many..). It's different in that Ike is a commoner, not a noble like other games. Good protagonist for a movie I think, starts as a common merc trying to be like his father, then gets caught up in his father's history and becomes knighted a Lord. He's just a sick c*nt, really. And all the politics! And the Laguz! So much content for a film.

The problems between the nations on Tellius can be paralleled with those on Earth: between the power-driven nations (Beorc/(generally) white), and all of the smaller more cultured nations (Laguz/various ethnicities) which have been persecuted for their differences in human history. Story just resonates really well for me, didn't care much for the gameplay because it kept interrupting the story! </3

Never played Radiant Dawn myself so I have no idea what that game/story is like other than that it's the sequel to Path. Both could be made into sequential films though. Assuming a Path of Radiance film turns out to be good, couldn't hurt to follow it up with a sequel.

Yeah man, definitely. Porque no los dos? :XD: FE movies and series from different games.

Sacred Stones wasn't the best game, but it'd make a good anime series. Myrrh <3

I think it'd be cool they could make seperate seasons based on the arcs in the game and who knows maybe they could even do RD kinda like how Dragon Ball went on to Dragon Ball Z.

They would have to keep Ike's PoR personality though, I don't want that RD one.

Yeah man, definitely. Porque no los dos? :XD: FE movies and series from different games.

Sacred Stones wasn't the best game, but it'd make a good anime series. Myrrh <3

I think the Tellius series has more to work off of and a better plot / story.

Hmm as a full film I'm not so sure. I good easily see a series, but the middle portion of Path of Radiance moves away from the action so much that I think it'd just seem weird in a movie. It also has a some what chapter orientated setting in the last third as each territory is taken something plot relevant happens. In a movie climax you kind of need a single battle to mark you're climax rather than the slow push Path of Radiance had. Despite it's many flaws as a story, FE7 probably would make the best as a stand alone movie since it's less expansive conflict and thus would need less for expand on in a couple of hours.

Of course if anything should by adapted it should be the Jugdral games.

They would have to keep Ike's PoR personality though, I don't want that RD one.

There's a difference between the two? :/ I never saw any... Besides, why would the same character get two different personalities?

Edited by Anacybele

There's a difference between the two? :/ I never saw any... Besides, why would the same character get two different personalities?

You didn't notice? Ike has no personality throughout the entire game of RD. From the weak, aspiring, inexperienced Mercenary he was in PoR, he became a dull, cocky Vanguard with no sympathy for anyone.

[spoiler=Radiant Dawn Spoilers]I mean, the guy openly challenges a god with the logic that "I have never lost a battle in my life, therefore I cannot lose." He kills the Black Knight saying "you killed my father, and you were my last teacher," but nothing else. He questions Micaiah's motives, but doesn't go further than basically "what are you doing, crazy girl?"

... Alright, that last one might've been an exaggeration. But I'm definitely not the only one that thinks PoR Ike had a better personality than RD Ike. I just don't have that many good arguments.

Ike's not supposed to give sympathy, remember? :P Why do you think he says "you'll get no sympathy from me" in Smash? XD But to be more serious, I liked his personality in both, and I felt he became a complete badass in RD, and not just because of his ripped, more armored appearance either.

Also, you act like Ike doesn't give a damn about anyone, and that's not true. Why would he even be fighting to save the continent if he didn't? He cared about everybody around him and he didn't even want to fight against Daein. He asks Zihark if there's anyway to stop the fighting, but Zihark says they've got no choice but to fight. Ike doesn't like the fighting, he does it because he's FORCED to fight. Ike is just a blunt guy that seems uncaring at times when he actually cares a lot for others. Also, what about when he ordered his group to protect Elincia in that chapter where she disarms herself? That's not being uncaring.

I'll admit, Ike is written better in PoR than in RD. But I don't think he was BADLY written in either game.

Edited by Anacybele

I think Ike is a great protagonist (especially for Jap-anime), an honest kid following the footsteps of his father, finding a much bigger adventure than expected which ultimately shapes the rest of his life and changes him fundamentally (maybe that's why he's a d*ck in RD? Never played it..).. Anyway..

Ike's personality aside, all these games would be f*cking awesome to see in anime. Don't care whether it's a feature length or a 26 ep anime series, I just wanna sit down and watch some Fire Emblem.

Despite it's many flaws as a story, FE7 probably would make the best as a stand alone movie

Of course if anything should by adapted it should be the Jugdral games.

^#1 I thought about FE7 aswell, but to be honest I wasn't as interested in seeing an FE7 movie. It's my favourite game hands down, I've finished it dozens of times in the past 12 years. But I feel like there's too much going on in the game for it to be a standalone. I could see it becoming a series (as with Sacred), but Path has a constant theme through the game and new aspects come into play throughout the storyline. Keep in mind, when adapted to a new medium, the flow of the plot will vary and it would seem less jagged and chapter-based. You don't think Ike facing Dark Knight, his fathers murderer, is a good climax?

^#2 Never played any games prior to FE7 so I can't comment on the Jugdral games. But there could definitely be better candidates for a film, I just found Path so goddamn interesting. Anything in particular about the Jugdral games that makes them a good choice?

Also, I agree with Tragonight: Path is so much better than Sacred plot-wise. I'd just say, from the games I've played;

Feature length - Path of Radiance

Series - Sacred Stones/Rekka No Ken

Maybe a better thread title would be "Which FE Game Would You Like To See On The Big Screen?"...

Okay, now saying Ike is a dick in any game is just no. He may be blunt, and even downright rude at times (*cough*that one conversation with Rafiel and Nailah*cough*), but calling him a dick is going too far, imo. Besides, he's gotta have flaws, otherwise, that's a boring character.

And where is LordTaco when you need him... xP

Condensing this into a feature length film would be bad. You're abridging far too much of the story and you won't have time for the character development that this series - and especially this game given that FE9's character development is the pinnacle of the series - is known for.

Maybe a 10 episode OVA would be cool though.

Edited by Lord Raven

The problems between the nations on Tellius can be paralleled with those on Earth: between the power-driven nations (Beorc/(generally) white), and all of the smaller more cultured nations (Laguz/various ethnicities) which have been persecuted for their differences in human history.

A large amount of non-European cultures had warfare and bigotry before European contact. Such as the Aztecs, China, and Japan. Europe just so happened to have material circumstances (see the Industrial Revolution) that led to the Age of Exploration. And "more cultured" is a questionable claim.

Let's not act like any race alone has an essence for power seeking or bigotry. Or do you deny all of the non-European empires?

Edited by Alazen

I thought about FE7 aswell, but to be honest I wasn't as interested in seeing an FE7 movie. It's my favourite game hands down, I've finished it dozens of times in the past 12 years. But I feel like there's too much going on in the game for it to be a standalone. I could see it becoming a series (as with Sacred), but Path has a constant theme through the game and new aspects come into play throughout the storyline. Keep in mind, when adapted to a new medium, the flow of the plot will vary and it would seem less jagged and chapter-based. You don't think Ike facing Dark Knight, his fathers murderer, is a good climax?

Ike fighting the Black knight would be a good climax, but it isn't the climax, defeating Ashnard is. So either you'd have to move the Black Knight fight until after the Ashnard fight, which might work but it would give a sense that the fight is more about pure revenge instead of justice, or you'd have to have somene other than Ike defeating Ashnard at the exact same time. If it's going to be a story about Ike, Greil and the Black Knight then it kind of has to be only a story about Ike, Griel and the Black Knight, everything else from the games is going to have to take a back seat. Ike does a full loop around the continent, I feel as if abridging that just wouldn't work. With the possible exception of the busy work Sanaki gets him to do, everything Ike does in his story serves some purpose.

For FE7 on the other hand, the scope is smaller and the cast is tighter. That's why I think it would work. Even then you'd probably still have to cut out Lyn's story and all the stuff in Bern Royal Family but you'd end up with a tighter story. First act finding out about and attack the Dreaded Isle. Second act meeting Athos and getting the legendary weapons. Climax attacking the dreaded Isle again. As opposed to Path of Radiance where the first act is the war's out break, the second act is going to Begnion and finding out about the Herons, climax fighting back against Bern. The second act is just too different for a film in my eyes. The only way I could see it working is if you get Ike to stay fighting in Crimea (perhaps doing all the stuff with Ena in the second act) and having someone else meeting Sanaki to request aid. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you'd probably lose a lot more of the story adapting FE9 than you would with a lot of the other games.

Condensing this into a feature length film would be bad. You're abridging far too much of the story and you won't have time for the character development that this series - and especially this game given that FE9's character development is the pinnacle of the series - is known for.

Maybe a 10 episode OVA would be cool though.

That's what I was thinking or hell just make it a full blown series.

A large amount of non-European cultures had warfare and bigotry before European contact. Such as the Aztecs, China, and Japan. Europe just so happened to have material circumstances (see the Industrial Revolution) that led to the Age of Exploration. And "more cultured" is a questionable claim.

Well if you talk to a lot of people in the west, they don't have a lot of idea about cultural traditions or norms, so "more cultured" may not be the term. "Having a culture" is what we're all looking for.

Let's not act like any race alone has an essence for power seeking or bigotry. Or do you deny all of the non-European empires?

The narrative he is referring to is what applies now and has applied for the past few centuries. You really think the Aztecs' "RAH AZTECIAN SUPREMACY" is an issue in the west these days?

Like for instance this is whole idea is what led the Japanese into World War II. It has also led to tons of anti-American sentiments in the middle east, and shit to that extent.

Is the purpose of your post to basically say "Well white people weren't that bad..."?

Edited by Lord Raven

Colonialism was already waning by the time Imperial Japan started its WW2 conquest spree, which included so many war crimes that only Nazi Germany outdid it. Trying to make an equivalence and emphasizing European or Western responsibility have been linked to apologism for Imperial Japan.

The world hasn't been and still isn't as lopsided as "power hungry white folk holding down peaceful or otherwise sunny non-whites who did nothing wrong". You might claim as such if it fits your worldview, but that does not make it the case.

Edited by Alazen

No, it'd be horrible. Path of Radiance does not follow the three act structure or any other structure (WRT movies & books), for that matter.

Colonialism was already waning by the time Imperial Japan started its WW2 conquest spree, which included so many war crimes that only Nazi Germany outdid it. Trying to make an equivalence and emphasizing European or Western responsibility have been linked to apologism for Imperial Japan.

What the hell? I was just saying that heavy western influence (effectively the white man) and their supposed condescending nature was a core reason why Japan fought against the allies.

I am not justifying their atrocities, so much as naming the reason why it happened. Because racism has and continues to be an issue in our modern world. Extremism in the middle east is caused by these attitudes as well to a certain extent.

Of course, these things are far from the only factors, but they are a factor nonetheless.

The world hasn't been and still isn't as lopsided as "power hungry white folk holding down peaceful or otherwise sunny non-whites who did nothing wrong". You might claim as such if it fits your worldview, but that does not make it the case.

I'm not claiming anything to that extreme, because the world is not that simple. But it is generally along those lines.

Do you deny the existence of systemic racism in the west?

Edited by Lord Raven

Assorted nations took part in Imperialism without reaching Japan in war crimes. Overly emphasizing European or Western interference in Imperial Japan's belligerence misses the point that Imperial Japan's conquests prior to WW2 were allowed and it was the Manchuria debacle that led to backlash. And that Japan already had centuries of warfare that included invading Korea while trying to invade China.

Systemic bigotry is not at all exclusive to the modern West. The Greeks and Romans had claims similar to later racism. As did the Chinese Dynasties. Modern Japan is no stranger to controversy over such either.

Edited by Alazen

Okay, now saying Ike is a dick in any game is just no. He may be blunt, and even downright rude at times (*cough*that one conversation with Rafiel and Nailah*cough*), but calling him a dick is going too far, imo. Besides, he's gotta have flaws, otherwise, that's a boring character.

And where is LordTaco when you need him... xP

Never played RD so that comment was empty and with direct regard to the previous posts referring to him as a "dull cocky vanguard". Apologies for offending Ike, I like him personally. Poor choice of words on my part.

Alazen:

Mmyeah, I mean I'm not trying to piss anybody off here. I'm white. Ain't got nothing against white's or ethnicities. And I don't mean to imply that European countries are inherently evil along with the antagonists in-game, everybody has their reasons and I'm open to your opinions. And I agree with you, other nations throughout history made similar actions to dominate as much land as they could, not only white nations. However, personally, the white example to be the most obvious example to get a point across.

When the British (my ancestors) arrived in Aus, they more or less just walked right in and started claiming the land before them with no concern for the natives, they then implemented a "White Australia Policy" through which they attempted to "breed out" the Aboriginal blood by abducting young women and impregnating them when they were of age. This is where I'm coming from, and Daein's reaction to the Laguz reminds me of the situation in Australia. (replace "black" with "Laguz/sub-human", and "White" with "Beorc/human")

"The problem of our half-castes will quickly be eliminated by the complete disappearance of the black race, and the swift submergence of their progeny in the white."

I'm secretly Jill.

Jotari, good to see you're on topic :Rei: This whole thing is turning into the race riots of Cronulla :/ Always gotta be someone to pull the racism card hey.

I see your points, you obviously know more about the series and film structure than me. I didn't think much about FE7 as a movie tbh, but from what y'all are sayin' it seems to fit the film idea more comfortably than Path.

Perhaps FE9 would work better as a series as you all have suggested.

Either way, all I want is Fire Emblem on my TV that I can watch..

Assorted nations took part in Imperialism without reaching Japan in war crimes. Overly emphasizing European or Western interference in Imperial Japan's belligerence misses the point that Imperial Japan's conquests prior to WW2 were allowed and it was the Manchuria debacle that led to backlash. And that Japan already had centuries of warfare that included invading Korea while trying to invade China.

Systemic bigotry is not at all exclusive to the modern West. The Greeks and Romans had claims similar to later racism. As did the Chinese Dynasties. Modern Japan is no stranger to controversy over such either.

Again man, y'don't have to take it personally.. haha

Settle down, you're going to be alright <3

Feel free to have your own opinion, I don't really care what you think. I expect the same from you about what I think. End of story.

Now get back on topic, we're talking about games and movies.

It would work better as a series than a movie.

I agree, I changed my mind due to the convincing response I got from this thread. I'd still love to see it.