Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

If Makalov's gonna have high speed and you're fine with it, you could make him start with (costless) Gamble. I always thought that they got Makalov and Keiran's skills wrong in FE9, and it should've been Keiran with Tempest and Makalov (who is into gambling) Gamble. It's just for character's sake, though if he's really gonna be that precise then he might even get to use it once with a killing edge.

Out of curiosity: since character-specific weapons technically don't have a weapon rank, can said character still equip them even if he has no rank in that weapon type?

Edited by Mr. Mister

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious DLuna, will there be more dark magic enemies in the game further on? There are barely any in the base game. I also noticed you mentioned in the unit data Miciaiah getting dark tomes at tier 2. Can we expect dark magic to be more present for the player as well then?

May I ask why you feel that way?

The point with that is that every unit is valuable or balanced against eachother overall throughout the game. Same with items and skills. There is more than 10 new skills obtained for Part 1 and far more weapons/items to be had as well. And all units are... good?

It looked like the same game I played in 2007. I think Fiona is promoted. Everything else I couldn't tell a noticeable difference in use or function of characters and items.

Like, you could give Sothe a poison weapon or skill. Or a bag which applies poison to a weapon. Something small like this can greatly change how one engages the levels, but more importantly allows new and novel engagement. From your wording I felt this patch would open alternative and new ways of playing, not just a minor retweak of a vanilla game.

That's how I feel. I hope the later and more drastic changes eventually find their way into the early game as well.

Edited by Celice

Just curious DLuna, will there be more dark magic enemies in the game further on? There are barely any in the base game. I also noticed you mentioned in the unit data Miciaiah getting dark tomes at tier 2. Can we expect dark magic to be more present for the player as well then?

Oh definitely. They'll be a lot more enemy dark magic units. Especially in Part 3+ (Rhys is crying with joy).

Reworked a lot, actually. Dark magic units will have huge defense but low resistance/movement. That's the philosophy.

On that note, expect a lot of Druids in 4-5... in cohorts with Izuka.

As for player units. Micaiah will have excess to Dark Magic, as well as Soren. He has Wind + Dark in tier 2.

Dark magic is now extremely powerful but heavy. Expect to never double with them... But ouch.

That's how I feel. I hope the later and more drastic changes eventually find their way into the early game as well.

Depends if it's necessary. I personally think the enemy placement and diversity was well done in part one. I don't feel there's much need for change aside from change for the sake of change.

So long as balanced is fixed, Part 1 is perfectly enjoyable. I genuinely respect the map design and enemies in part 1.

Part 3 however has a lot of room for improvement. I'd personally like the "PVP" battles to be more... involved.

Like, you could give Sothe a poison weapon or skill. Or a bag which applies poison to a weapon. Something small like this can greatly change how one engages the levels, but more importantly allows new and novel engagement. From your wording I felt this patch would open alternative and new ways of playing, not just a minor retweak of a vanilla game.

Poison for what purpose?

In other words, I'm only changing what needs to be changed. Whether what that is or not is debatable, but feel free to exclaim that to me.

"minor" is subjective. Is Meg/Fiona/Leonardo being good units "minor" to you? Is Nailah/BK not being auto-win in the same respect? This hack isn't just change for the sake of change -- I'm genuinely just trying to solve the issues the original game had. Adding gimmicks isn't a priority.

Clearly, Ilyana being a great unit is "minor"?

Of course, balance isn't everything. The game needs to be harder where appropriate. That's also a goal for this.

Edited by DLuna

lol you ask why I think and then tirade about characters I didn't even mention, and talk about things I didn't even think of

hahahaha

So this is basically gonna be Radiant Dawn 1.05. Got it. Hopefully this inspires someone else to do a more interesting project alongside your conservative one :)

Edited by Celice

So this is basically gonna be Radiant Dawn 1.05. Got it. Hopefully this inspires someone else to do a more interesting project alongside your conservative one :)

You know... Feel free to say what you feel is necessary to be changed. Rather than just insulting the project/myself. Sorry that I didn't add a... specific poison weapon to Sothe's... contribution?

Constructive criticism is valid but "This hack is too similar to the original game!" is... I'm not sure how to process. Yes, it's still the same game. And I apologize for not completely changing the game... I guess? Obviously, RD is terrible and everything about it needs to be changed...

Look... Like I said, I'm trying to avoid changing things for the sake of change. I'm changing the game in every way necessary to improve it. If you disagree in some things I'm changing, feel free to mention it, but otherwise I get the impression you just want this game to be entirely different? Well... someone might end up doing that eventually. Good for them, I guess.

In an alternate hack Micaiah could be a Fighter and Aran could be a Wind Sage. And 1-F is in a forest and the Wind Edge does magic damage. Yay? But for myself, that isn't the objective.

I am sorry that the fundamental structure of the game hasn't changed.

Edited by DLuna

I finally got to play this so it's time for me to weigh in~

Okay, I REALLY like it so far for the most part. I love enemies having items for Sothe to steal. I've always loved stealing in FE, in fact if more enemies had secondary weapons I'd probably take 50 turns stealing them all XD I also feel the difficulty is much nicer; I got into trouble when I lost Vika and Volug, but I never liked characters with V-names anyways :P That should tell you that Laguz and BK are no longer auto-win characters which is very good. I also like BK leaving most enemies with 1 or 2 HP, makes kill feeding easy. I think Nolan was nerfed too far, though, because he's barely scratching most enemies. I'm at 1-F and I haven't promoted anyone at all yet so that might have something to do with it.

I also like having a lot of bargains even though my brain tells me I'm terrible for not buying all of them :P If possible I'd like Master Seals to be sell-able like in PoR since I try not to use them, and I'd like Paragon to only cost 10 since the characters I want to use it on don't have nearly the capacity for it. Would help out with leveling some of the units that start to fall behind later on in Part 1.

Edward, Leo, Meg and Fiona were originally useless, now they're pretty good...at least for a few chapters. On my run they're still stuck at level 10 because even though they're better now, everyone else still has them outclassed, pretty much. That's really a problem with RD as a whole that I'm not sure could be fixed unless I shoved a heap of BEXP at them.

The only bad thing so far is 1-F, it's completely awful. The map itself is already bad because you either take the long way or climb walls, and if you climb walls, your hit rates against the enemies are very low since it's an uphill battle. Couple that with annoying reinforcements, Thieves who are too fast to be stopped, and a Meteor sage (oh come on >_< ) and you've got a chapter that I can only see anyone beating by turtling it. I'd honestly unpromote most of the enemies, at least so the player can climb the walls faster or something, it's just too slow at the moment.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to what Part 2 ends up like.

The only bad thing so far is 1-F, it's completely awful. The map itself is already bad because you either take the long way or climb walls, and if you climb walls, your hit rates against the enemies are very low since it's an uphill battle. Couple that with annoying reinforcements, Thieves who are too fast to be stopped, and a Meteor sage (oh come on >_< ) and you've got a chapter that I can only see anyone beating by turtling it. I'd honestly unpromote most of the enemies, at least so the player can climb the walls faster or something, it's just too slow at the moment.

What difficulty are you playing? I do recommend normal mode since hard needs its own tuning still.

Have you promoted most of your units and are at least using one of Tormod/Nailah/BK?

Here is a video example of 1-F. Climbing up the ledges is not something I'd imagine you'd make your entire army do. Just a few. Putting Pass on someone going up the ledges is an option too. Nailah/Sothe/Tormod are good for that. Or anyone else who has ended up strong.

Promotion bonuses are huge and since all enemies are promoted, EXP gain for Tier 2 units is decent.

As far as some falling behind goes, all those units are behind who? Aran, Ilyana, Jill and Micaiah? You mentioned Nolan being underpowered now so I guessing him not included. Aside from Jill, all of those units are in the same circumstances in regards to leveling. Is there just not enough EXP to go around?

It's actually not too difficult to get all the Tier 1s to level 15 by endgame so long as you make use of all of them. Then promote each of them together. As low as Level 12 or 13 is fine for say, Fiona or Ilyana. Heck, Fiona can promote at base level so long as you give her an energy drop or arms scroll (for Silver Lance). Promotion bonuses are so good that anyone should be able to function upon doing so -- and their growths are all good enough to keep them going.

Of course, that's on normal mode.

These explanations are all on the FAQ. Feel free to check it out. I don't expect everyone to play the same though -- if you want to delay promotions for my growth potential, that's perfectly fine. I just wouldn't suggest doing that for more than a couple units. In my previous run I got Ilyana to level 20 and promoted naturally, but I only had room to do that for her, otherwise some of the other tier 1s wouldn't get enough EXP, or Volug.

Then again, for testing purposes it's ideal that I try to use everyone equally, just so I can gauge each unit properly on Part 3 and beyond.

As for Nolan... He does gain +4 strength on promotion. His average at Tier 2 is higher than it was before.

May I ask how you feel about Volug? There's been no discussion around him so far and he's probably one of the biggest changes. Do you feel his strike rank is still too slow or too fast?

Edited by DLuna

What difficulty are you playing? I do recommend normal mode since hard needs its own tuning still.

I think it'sd better to make this clear now rather than later:

Will you implement Normal and Hard Redux as a single patch, or will you make separate patches, both affecting the game's "Normal"? I'm asking this regarding the weapon triangle (and the enemy range checker).

Edited by Mr. Mister

I think it'sd better to make this clear now rather than later:

Will you implement Normal and Hard Redux as a single patch, or will you make separate patches, both affecting the game's "Normal"? I'm asking this regarding the weapon triangle (and the enemy range checker).

You know what, that's not a bad idea. After the hack is finished I could make an unofficial "maniac mode" on a separate hack, with individual balance tweaks. Such as raising everyone's base level and making enemies rather brutal -- and changing their placements/classes completely. Different items/weapons and such too to make it really interesting.

I think that will be better than just tweaking enemy bases/growths for hard mode (which just takes away features). Just requires more effort, which is worth it.

Edited by DLuna

Small question, does Alder have his own unit entry, that is, can he be placed on a map?

I just tested to confirm that the hidden ABSGUARD skill from Lehran's spirits procs 100% of the time (Edward took all the fatal hits from Micahia except when they would miss her), and wondered if it could be used in 1-9 in an interesting way to match the story.

-Change the terrain so that Jarod can only be attacked at range (so Alder can't be attacked from range).

-Change Jarod's AI so he doesn't attack during the enemy turn (as GUARD doesn't protect from counterattacks. Canon justification is that he's shitting bricks from BK).

-Place Alder adjacent to Jarod, behind him, where he can't be attacked.

-Give Alder ABSGUARD.

-Change whatever's gotta be changed so the chapter ends when Alder, and not Jarod, dies.

Really liking the looks of your work so far, fixing a lot of the issues of my favorite game in the series.

Sorry if this is too long term for the moment, but do you have any plans to tweak Whispers? In vanilla RD they're just unconditionally worse than Volke due to his class being better in every way, aside from the fact that Sothe is mandatory.

Tweak whispers? I'm tweaking almost everything.

Caps aside, the problem more lies with Sothe and Heather themselves. Heather is particular is really difficult to justify as a unit in the original, stealing aside.

Bane isn't the problem either -- mastery skills mean barely anything when it comes to unit worth.

Sothe just has greater growth potential and better fitting caps. Heather is the card master of the game. A 13 base magic with a 55% growth (with a 24/34 cap). Also, higher rank daggers are better. Heather comes with a 10 MT / 30 CRIT Stilletto.

I don't think Alder actually has data. Or that his JP name is very different.

Edited by DLuna

By the way, could you make the enemy cap higher for chapter 3-6 and 3-12? (heck, even decimate)

Since I guess you're gonna make it tougher in the end, and we won't have enough ressources to make everyone lv10 for bro-motion.

And does the lowering of the GM's levels mean there's going to be more enemies on their side?

A way to balance Heather would be to make a lot of items able to be stolen everywhere. That's the reason Heather is a must-pick on chapter 3-3 to get the bexp. If you make more of those, that would definitely make her great. Maybe not a pick for the tower, but she'll still have contribution outside.

Edited by Nintales

Well, if you can't find his data in the in-engine cutscenes of 1-1, then he probably has none and that is just a generic Armour Lance.

Now I wonder though, can an enemy unit placed just outside the map's grid proc their skills? If Jarod was at the edge of the grid and an Armour Lance with ABSGUARD was outside the grid and adjacent to Jarod, you wouldn't need to worry about totally-Alder (you can't put to cursor on him to check he's not) being in your range.

Could be something worth experimenting with. I'll likely go back to part 1 and make some further tweaks to the map layout in the future -- so I'll take this into consideration. For part 2 this is something I've moderately changed.

The problem with 1-9 is the lack of clarity surrounding the map and a better means to quickly engage Jarod once you've cleared the map. I'd improve that to begin with.

I believe someone asked about Laguz EXP in the past and I can confidently say it works this way (or very close to it):

Laguz under level 15 are counted as Tier 1 Beorc as far as EXP gain goes. You add 5 to their base level to calculate what their base level equivalent is. Therefore, a level 12 Laguz would be a level 17 tier 1.

However, the interesting part is that as soon as a Laguz hits level 15, they gain 15 capacity and are suddenly counted as a level 10 tier 2 Beorc. Therefore for level 15 and beyond, they are a tier 2 and you subtract 5 to their base level to gai nthe tier 2 equivilent level. So a level 22 Laguz is the same as a level 17 Tier 2.

When they hit level 25 they become a level 5 tier 3. So you then subtract their base level by 20 to find the tier 3 equivalent level. Therefore a level 39 Laguz is the same as a level 19 tier 3 beorc.

With the new Nealuchi, his EXP immediately cuts down by more than half upon reaching level 15, so he gets two levels for "free" almost (base being 13). This makes it so balancing Laguz based on their pre-15 base level is a good means of essentially giving them a "training period", with the level 15 threshold being their benchmark for being solidified strong units.

With Lethe, she now comes at level 5 with reduced base stats compared to the original game. So in 2-3 or 2-F, she's in a "training period" where her goal is to reach level 10-15 and reach her S rank weapon. This would make Lethe better upon rejoining the Mercenaries, but without having to simple just flat out buff her -- making her too strong in part 2. After all, she also has a better Laguz gauge.

This principle is applied to pretty much all Laguz in the game, with the Royals being the exception where they are essentially the Renning or Bastian equivalents of their non-royal counterparts.

With the exception of Nailah and Naesala who could be considered pseudo-Ests, especially Nailah. Or at least for Naesala, just a more offensive oriented version of Nealuchi upon the time of recruitment, but weaker defensively.

The Dragons should all just be strong outright, with each having their own strengths. Ena = Offense. Nasir = Movement (utility). Gareth = Defense. Kurth = Essentially becomes all three with some levels and the only playable unit to have Formshift (which might as well be Black Dragon specific now).

So yeah, that's Laguz in this hack.

Oh and then you have Vika and Muarim who just have ridiculous growths and bases for their level -- to the point where just BEXP can make them decent enough for endgame, since they are much likely to proc speed/strength/defense/res rather than just HP/luck.

Edited by DLuna

Does anything funny happen if you, say, add a second Breath strike weapon to Kurth's inventory, like White Breath, or his father's version of Black Breath?

I'm really not expecting the game to let you get away with that, but there's the remote possibility that it might result in laguz being able to choose with what Strike (of their race) they attack.

Edited by Mr. Mister

His father's weapon is just a higher MT version of his, no?

As far as giving Laguz multiple weapons... I'm not sure it would work logically with dragons but it could be plausible to try something with beasts/birds.

His father's weapon is just a higher MT version of his, no?

As far as giving Laguz multiple weapons... I'm not sure it would work logically with dragons but it could be plausible to try something with beasts/birds.

True that, Deghinsea's Black Breath might not be the best example. What I first thought of was Kurth having acceess to also White Breath, which would be more effective against Red Dragons, and Red Breath, more powerful yet less precise than Black Breath. And if it worked, then maybe ALL dragons could have both Red and White variants. Enemy AI would choose the most effective one anyway, but at least Nasir could do something against them Spirits.

And sure, there's potential in re-speccing the Great Talon/Beak so that instead of royal upgrades they're are a sidegrades to the "normal" Strikes (like, as an example, turning the Great Beak into a brave weapon, but making it give a speed or defense penalty to the wielder, if that's possible).

Edited by Mr. Mister

I'm content with the way Laguz are currently but I could revisit this in the future. The "Royal" weapons are currently set to be weaker to their normal counterparts at A and S rank, but become stronger at SS and are faster to reach that (More WEXP). That's their purpose and it's a good way to gate the royals while still making them powerful in the latter parts of endgame. Nailah starts with a 6MT weapon at A, but gets S at 6x WEXP rate and SS at 4x rate which ends with 18 MT. Volug only gets 15 at SS.

By the way, I'm taking another look at the tier 1s and am considering making some touchups at some of the units that may need a slight early boost. These units are Edward/Leo/Aran/Meg/Jill and Fiona. Raising all of their base levels by 2 and slightly better base stats.

Would be both a nerf and buff though because we're talking only boosts to their primary stats. So Meg or Jill might not gain any SPD/RES, but a couple points in HP, STR and SKL. So less slightly slower increases in the former stats due to EXP gain. I suppose it's overall a buff though.

Thoughts if these are necessary or not?

The run-down would be:

Edward Level 5

+1 HP

+1 SPD

+1 STR

+2 SKL

+1 DEF

Leonardo level 6

+1 HP

+1 SPD

+1 STR

+1 DEF

+1 RES

Aran level 9

+2 HP

+1 STR

+2 SKL

+1 LCK

Meg level 8

+2 HP

+1 STR

+3 SKL

+5% DEF growth

Jill level 14

+3 HP

+2 STR

+1 DEF

Fiona level 12

+1 STR

+1 DEF

+2 LCK

+1 SKL

Micaiah/Nolan/Ilyana/Laura left untouched, or extremely minor changes. Considering giving Nolan +1 base SPD for instance. But otherwise, they perform well enough and Micaiah can very easily reach 20 due to 1-9 especially. Laura's bases/growth are fine and Ilyana is just solid all around for a mage -- so I don't think she needs a base buff. Her base stats already justify level ~10 and increasing her base level would just be a nerf so... eh. Ilyana's just really strong already on the virtue of any EXP being lost for the DB come part 3.

Edited by DLuna

Preview for Part 2 Chapter 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8p1NVldlCs&feature=youtu.be

Excuse the lag near the start of the video.

Fun fact: Lethe doesn't have the base speed (11) to double the halberdiers, but I was lucky enough for her to proc speed through BEXP (with just a 30% growth). Needless to say, she was my MVP during this run.

Part 2 will be completed once 2-3 and 2-F are further polished.

Edited by DLuna

Remember to also upload the patch as just the modified FE10Data and co. files. I've been having issues using a patcher, but I'm confident I can just Wiiscrub the individual files into my iso.

I'll be releasing both patches again but with the second being much smaller.

It turns out there there's two variations of the NA ISO and I'll need to make a patch for them separately involving applying files for each of them.

In other words -- I'll be doing it for you. There's about ~30 files in total. =p Then I'll be able to give you a small patch like the other, specifically for the other type of ISO.

I'm currently about to finish 1-3. One thing to note about this map is that I've cut a few of the partner units and reduced the enemy count a bit also (and completely changed positioning/classes). I felt this was necessary since with the enemies being much stronger -- the map just takes too long otherwise and EXP rates become crazy. I'm fine with this map being an EXP fest for the knights (they kinda need it) but not to take it too far. At one point I was able to get Geoff to level 18... from 8.

Enemies (all being promoted) start at a lowish level (3) at the bottom of the map but rise to 8-9 towards the end. You can feasibly get everyone to level 10 or so. Which is saying a lot since Astrid = 1, Makalov/Marcia = 3, Devdan/Kieran = 5. Geoff will hit 13 or 14 on average (with much better bases than the original at his base level, but same goes for all the knights).

Between this map and 2-E + 3-9 you should be able to now get everyone in promotion range which is nice.

EDIT: Whoops. Danved is definitely not Devdan.

Edited by DLuna