Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

I don't see why Mantle needs a nerf. It's an exclusive skill on what should be actually challenging final bosses. Them being nerfed goes against the intention of having an actual difficulty curve. If anything I'd make them even stronger, especially Lehran,

So, do you think that the next release will be available before the end of the year?

Now that I have a lot of free time until then? Quite possibly. It may only be a part 1 re-release but it's something.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice changes, is the "patch notes" up to date by the way?

PS: On a totally different topic, are you involved in other projects or game mods? Since i like they way you are balancing things, fresh end exciting.

Grandia ReDux which was released about 4-5 years ago. Currently working on Grandia ReDux Complete (which is far better) and there's a demo for that currently. Plan for that is to also have a complete re-translation of the dialogue.

There's also FE6 Redux which was release about 3 years ago. However, I'm currently developing FE6 Rebirth, which is a complete revision of the game with almost completely remade scenarios and maps (although the story and characters are still the same, just expanded). That is currently in development also.

Grandia ReDux 3.0 and FE6 ReDux are both outdated and completed back when I had inferior balance philosophies and game design decision making. However, that's why I'm doing a follow up to both. I am overall happy with my past work though, so feel free to check those out.

The patch notes in the OP are only updated for the actual patch that's released (which was ages ago now). It's needs a significant amount of updating.

Edited by DLuna

Personally, the one skill I have always found unbalanced not in terms of difficulty, but in terms of "fun", is Nihil. Specifically, how the Nihil vs Nihil (also applied to Mantle IIRC) scenario is a complete ignorance of all other skills instead of just a mutual canceling of the two Nihils. This takes almost all the tension away from the Black Knight fight, though I'm blaming this on the fact that nothing in vanilla can survive a single Eclipse, somI understand why you want to remove that skill out of the equation against the player. The fight is not nearly as fun as the one in PoR.

This all reminds me, will you remove the "Armored" tag from make the Black Knight (enemy version) to prevent Ike from cheesing that climax of a swordsmanship duel with a hammer? Surely he's had the time to use a little of his Godess' power to fix his armour by then, portrait be damned.

I will likely remove the Black Knight's hammer weakness.

For Nihil, I'm fine with it existing and lots of enemies in part 4 will have skills. Although I will say that Parity is more fair/balanced version of it.

Otherwise, it only exists on Ike/Calill/Nolan and you can buy one in part 4. 4 existing and costing a decent amount of capacity is fine.

I will likely remove the Black Knight's hammer weakness.

For Nihil, I'm fine with it existing and lots of enemies in part 4 will have skills. Although I will say that Parity is more fair/balanced version of it.

Otherwise, it only exists on Ike/Calill/Nolan and you can buy one in part 4. 4 existing and costing a decent amount of capacity is fine.

If possible, Nihil should have the ability to cancel Nihil and vice versa, but Parity cancels both Nihil and other skills.

That is maybe possible but a lot of dedication required to figure it out.

By the way, here is the format I'm going to be using for character stats (as an example):

Meg.png

Please provide any feedback you can on what other information you may want added (Inventories, Biorhythm types etc...?).

And yes, Meg is a complete joke character in the most practical way possible (I might as well go the full distance on that!). That's why a lot of the numbers are weird.

Edited by DLuna

That is maybe possible but a lot of dedication required to figure it out.

By the way, here is the format I'm going to be using for character stats (as an example):

Meg.png

Please provide any feedback you can on what other information you may want added (Inventories, Biorhythm types etc...?).

And yes, Meg is a complete joke character in the most practical way possible (I might as well go the full distance on that!). That's why a lot of the numbers are weird.

*as a speedrunner solos the game with Meg*

Well, maybe it could be better if instead of the 16/15/1 average, you showed the 16/15 average and the promotion gains (since you say you've used them to further define units with unique ones).

SHame Meg can't use staves, but she seems like she has the potential for card games.

If possible, Nihil should have the ability to cancel Nihil and vice versa, but Parity cancels both Nihil and other skills.

Well, first you'd need to figure out how to edit Eclipse so it's not a OHKO against Ike.

Edited by Mr. Mister

Well, maybe it could be better if instead of the 16/15/1 average, you showed the 16/15 average and the promotion gains (since you say you've used them to further define units with unique ones).

SHame Meg can't use staves, but she seems like she has the potential for card games.

I'm currently testing paladins with staves and sharing Mist's animation. So there's that at least. Not set in stone yet though. Might just be for Astrid/Oscar or something (it fits their personalties and rounds out their teams a bit more, especially for maps like 2-3).

But yeah, Imbue is good on her and she's okay with cards.

Not a bad idea to list it that way instead.

Edited by DLuna

Astrid with a Heal staff in her dubting chapter might be a very good idea actually. Fits her dynamic with Makalov too.

It would be enough with a cap at E-rank, and a D-rank (that's the Mend right?) upon promotion.

Mend is now C. With HP values being a lot higher, and damage taken being much higher, Mend is extremely helpful.

On that note, both Astrid/Oscar would be capped at C rank, so they will not get access to Physic which is B rank. Or Recover, because Recover is insanely good and ignores their magic stat.

Giving them access to Mend is fine because it's expensive and their magic isn't particularly good. Well, Astrid's growth is pretty great but the base, not so much (Thematically, she's only just picked up a staff and started learning it).

On a similar note, Seraph Knights also have staves. Sigrun's the only one with good magic though. Tanith's in particular is garbage, but it's a nice tool to have.

Edited by DLuna

I was thinking before on making all Silver Knights having staves on tier 2, but 50 capacity and still capped at A for their weapon. While Gold Knights have more 10 more capacity and can get S as per usual, and get their secondary weapon instantly at B on promotion. Silver Knights get C.

Thoughts on that?

So basically, they sacrifice a bit of combat effectiveness for staves.

Edited by DLuna

I was thinking before on making all Silver Knights having staves on tier 2, but 50 capacity and still capped at A for their weapon. While Gold Knights have more 10 more capacity and can get S as per usual, and get their secondary weapon instantly at B on promotion. Silver Knights get C.

Thoughts on that?

So basically, they sacrifice a bit of combat effectiveness for staves.

I don't have an issue with this in terms of gameplay, but it doesn't really make sense in terms of character for someone like Geoffrey. For him, it would make more sense if he were to gain staves after promoting into a Silver Knight (because of the time he's out of the story working with Bastian), but this would also be difficult to implement when Oscar has the same starting class. Are you still planning on giving each Gold and Silver Knight different combinations of weapons upon reaching third tier?

Edited by Elite Lord Sigma

Updated unit profile below!

The text on the left is a good way to summarise a unit without having to look into too much detail.

MEG PROFILE

Meg_Profile.png

EDIT: Title was missing.

I don't have an issue with this in terms of gameplay, but it doesn't really make sense in terms of character for someone like Geoffrey. For him, it would make more sense if he were to gain staves after promoting into a Silver Knight (because of the time he's out of the story working with Bastian), but this would also be difficult to implement when Oscar has the same starting class. Are you still planning on giving each Gold and Silver Knight different combinations of weapons upon reaching third tier?

Maybe staves are just all the rage for Tellius paladins before tho events of FE10? Geoffrey got caught in the hype

There is a way to do it within the game class. But needs to be done a bit differently.

Geoff starting at E and Oscar D was/is the plan though.

As for the latter, not quite. Gold knights still get Axe/Sword and Silver knights Bow/Lance.

Another iteration I've now thought about though is:

Silver: Two of Lance/Bow/Staff at tier 3, or One and a movement boost for Geoff. Astrid gets hers early however (Staff tier 1). Oscar: Lance/Staff. Fiona: Lance/Bow. Geoff: Lance only +movement.

Gold: Sword and Axes or Just one of those and a movement boost. Kieran/Renning being the former and Makalov/Titania being the latter.

Every unit is unique from each other.

Edited by DLuna

Astrid gets hers early however (Staff tier 1). Oscar: Lance/Staff. Fiona: Lance/Bow. Geoff: Lance only +movement.

I very much like that (and also the two kinds of Gold Knight), if Oscar can't use a bow, the Greeangle Attack is compromised.

I very much like that (and also the two kinds of Gold Knight), if Oscar can't use a bow, the Greeangle Attack is compromised.

I might be nice to Oscar and give him all 3, thinking about it.

I'm not averse to just giving staves to Fiona instead though (maybe even tier 2). Rounding the Dawn Brigade up to 3 staff users might even be for the best. GM already have Rhys, Mist and Ilyana.

Edited by DLuna

Updated unit profile below!

The text on the left is a good way to summarise a unit without having to look into too much detail.

MEG PROFILE

Meg_Profile.png

EDIT: Title was missing.

Maybe staves are just all the rage for Tellius paladins before tho events of FE10? Geoffrey got caught in the hype

There is a way to do it within the game class. But needs to be done a bit differently.

Geoff starting at E and Oscar D was/is the plan though.

As for the latter, not quite. Gold knights still get Axe/Sword and Silver knights Bow/Lance.

Another iteration I've now thought about though is:

Silver: Two of Lance/Bow/Staff at tier 3, or One and a movement boost for Geoff. Astrid gets hers early however (Staff tier 1). Oscar: Lance/Staff. Fiona: Lance/Bow. Geoff: Lance only +movement.

Gold: Sword and Axes or Just one of those and a movement boost. Kieran/Renning being the former and Makalov/Titania being the latter.

Hahahaha! That growths xDU. (I want to see that profile style with Laura now :P )

Wow! I like these things, this gives to every unit something to be different :3

Edited by Troykv

I might be nice to Oscar and give him all 3, thinking about it.

I'm not averse to just giving staves to Fiona instead though (maybe even tier 2). Rounding the Dawn Brigade up to 3 staff users might even be for the best. GM already have Rhys, Mist and Ilyana.

I actually like these ideas, so long as Oscar's triangle attack is maintained.

Hahahaha! That growths xDU. (I want to see that profile style with Laura now :P )

Wow! I like these things, this gives to every unit something to be different :3

LAURA PROFILE

Laura_Profile.png

I'll release one of these every 1-2 days until the next release.

Edited by DLuna

Not something I've looked into. Either way, speeding up the animation won't change the animation either, so it'll just go from 'slow' to 'goofy'.

I'd take "goofy" over "5 full seconds of walking back towards Edward after he critted you five meters away".