Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

To add on vanilla RD's criticism: Regarding difficulty, someone decided it was a good idea for Hardmode to completely remove all weapon triangles. Admittedly the WT is something that almost only plays in the player's favour, but removing it takes away such a big mechanic... This is why I advised DLuna to make build ReDux on top of Normal, and if he makes a Lunatic version, also build it on Normal and release it separatedly.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE PATCH IS HERE! COME GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT

(Once again, there are two patches in case one doesn't work for you)

Let me know if there are any issues.

Is the entirety of part 1 being released tomorrow or just the demo?

You'll know when it ends. Trust me...

(CH1-7... Or is it?)

I have not updated the OP with new data yet (That will be done in the actual full part 1 release). If you care about knowing growths then class caps should mostly tell you good/bad they are. So use that as a means of gauging them for now. Except for the units I have already made profiles for, of course.

Feedback will be great! Do let me know if there are any inconsistencies or oddities you can point out. Otherwise, let me know how the demo fares.

One thing worth mentioning is that I have made hard mode realistically do-able, so feel free to have fun with that. But I do not advise to play hard mode until you've played the demo's normal mode!

Edited by DLuna

NTSC-USA or PAL?

NTSC-USA in which there are two versions for that (therefore two patches).

(To specify, it basically means that if one patch fails to work on your ISO, then try the other).

Edited by DLuna

I'm releasing a demo of the definitive version of the hack tomorrow. So feel free to try it then!

The vanilla version get widespread criticism on:

1) How the difficulty curve is completely backwards.

2) Unit balance being horrible. Also weapons and skills to a lesser degree.

3) Story having huge flaws especially when it comes to character's motivations. Also 'new' characters not getting enough acknowledgement or back-story.

4) Enemy stats/AI/distribution not taking advantage of the overall great map design (IMO).

5) Team splitting being largely against the game because of 1) and 2), rather than it being a strong element through variety.

6) Not enough customisation in weapon/skill combos. The game is weirdly restricting without having enough balance to make that even matter. So it's the worst of both worlds.

The hack attempts to fix all of these. The core gameplay and mechanics of FE10 are pretty great. But they do not live up to their potential because of certain factors.

If the above is important to you, then I suggest trying the hack. Gathering feedback on somebody blind to the game would be quite interesting, actually.

I love this game and the good things about it. Like the Map Design, that has many interesting things in the terrain.

But I always consider this game the most unbalanced in the franchises. It's so weird that this is one of the few games in the franchise that is better the new units that arrive above the ones that you already have.

And... the magic sucks in this game xDU (The magic units are slow and the units don't called Ike actually have Resistence xD)

FE10's map design is very good, indeed. There's a lot of varied objectives and a lot of maps that encourage you either keep moving to commit to them (and therefore not turtling) or defend maps that aren't too straightforward and offer a lot of ways to tackle them. Also high opportunity for steal objectives to also punish turtling.

It has to be said though that the placements and power of enemies can undermine some of the maps in the game. CH1-6-1 (which is in the demo) is a good example of that. I've structurally changed it so that (at least in my mind) the map design is possibly used the best it can be.

Some maps do go into awakening-mode by part 4 though, but I think those maps will all be tuned around making the enemies extremely interesting to make up for that.

Otherwise, the soundtrack, character designs and art-style are all my favourite in the series. And the core mechanics are all great when tuned correctly (Biorhythm, supports, Laguz, party switching, classes, skills etc...). So that's why its worth making the effort to get those things right.

EDIT: Also I do realize that when it comes to the demo:

1) One of the houses in 1-1 still need their text changed.

2) The magic triangle has some strange/incorrect interactions at the moment. But that will barely affect anything in the demo (and is mostly a benefit to the player as far as I can tell).

Edited by DLuna

I agree: FE10 stands out because it's one of the FE games with the most diversity in in-game (in-map) mechanics/options/items, including map design tiles/resources (ledges4life).

When you're done with the "Normal" version of RDX (I like this abreviation) and if you release what you've learned about map editing, I'd be interested to see what people (including you) can come up with in single-chapter hacks of FE10. Maybe Ragefest 7?

I have play just a little, and I can say:WOW......Micaiah is such a badass unit now. I don't know how to feel about Edward: just up until 1-2 and sometimes he dissapointed me, but then wrath come to Shut my trap with a bang.

Leonardo is now decent (being a good option even at endgame if that resistance goes up just enough). And Nolan has been nerf for good measure: still reliable but no OP in comparison of some enemies out there.

More later.......And before you ask: I have see gameplay of this game and I know some things like Nolan carry Micaiah's team and Leonardo being the most useless archer ever (even more than Gordin somehow....)

Edited by ronlyn

why did you make chapter 6-2 impossible ;_;

So...

As for the characters, the only ones I'd say might be bad are Aran (maybe I got speed screwed tho, but the bishop on 6-1 punished me hard for that) and Volug.

Oh, Volug.

I wonder if it's either because you have to BeXP dump him (and I didn't) or just because he's so low-levelled, but Volug seems kinda bad. He's not either a good tank nor a good damage dealer at low level.

Otherwise...

- Micaiah is awesome.

- Edward is great.

- Leonardo is awesome. (yes, being able to snipe units with Longbows help sooo much)

- Nolan is right on the spot.

- Sothe is a good unit.

- Laura's really well done.

- Ilyana is imo only good early on but great when you get Bolting.

- Meg is great.

- Jill is good/great.

- Tauroneo is good.

As for Zihark, I didn't get to use him that much since I stayed away from him due to Edward being trained. But he looks pretty good imo.

As for the characters, the only ones I'd say might be bad are Aran (maybe I got speed screwed tho, but the bishop on 6-1 punished me hard for that) and Volug.

Oh, Volug.

I wonder if it's either because you have to BeXP dump him (and I didn't) or just because he's so low-levelled, but Volug seems kinda bad. He's not either a good tank nor a good damage dealer at low level.

Otherwise...

- Micaiah is awesome.

- Edward is great.

- Leonardo is awesome. (yes, being able to snipe units with Longbows help sooo much)

- Nolan is right on the spot.

- Sothe is a good unit.

- Laura's really well done.

- Ilyana is imo only good early on but great when you get Bolting.

- Meg is great.

- Jill is good/great.

- Tauroneo is good.

As for Zihark, I didn't get to use him that much since I stayed away from him due to Edward being trained. But he looks pretty good imo.

Aran is extremely reliable. High hit rates and gets access to the horseslayer in 1-6. He also has no biorhythm, which means he'll always have no penalties.

A lot of his power will come from promo gains too (+3 SPD/+4 RES/+2 DEF) I think he's pretty good for Blossom (99 BEXP > Map level > 99 BEXP > Map level).

Only way I'd buff him is giving one more base speed and remove it from his promo. (And the opposite of that is how I nerfed him before, funnily enough -- people were saying he was too strong with 12 speed base, although that was back before other things had changed too, like said Bishops existing). Either way though, Pure Water/Barrier is his friend. Leo support is good too (+3 RES when maxed).

Volug is like an early Est. Unlike the original game, his halfshift actually works against him more than for him and this is typically a good thing as it stops him from being ultra powerful before he should be (part 3).

Being level 1 means high EXP gain, and if you calculate his Level 15 averages with S rank strike, he's rather excellent in part 3 with a pretty good Laguz gauge. Even his base stats make him usable in part 3, assuming full transform bonuses.

Thanks on the unit feedback, but any comments on the change of map design? (1-5 and 1-6-1 in particular?). The availability of skills, items and weapons? Mechanic changes like Biorhythm, WTA, enemy diversity, difficulty, HP/DEF/RES rebalance etc...? Anything you can comment on, really.

why did you make chapter 6-2 impossible ;_;

HOLD, HOLD I SAY

Also, if anyone has any problems with patching or playing, then do let me know in a PM.

Edited by DLuna

Just wondering, when a unit is at their worst biorhythm state, is it intentional that an enemy has a 100% hit rate despite the player having the WTA? I'm guessing this was put in to make biorhythm have more of an impact?

Also you make have discovered it already, but in chapter 1-1 the villager who mentions giving you an axe gives you an ellight tome. I suppose that text will be properly altered.

Edited by Ryan7556

Best: +20 HIT, +10 AVO

Good: +10 HIT, +5 AVO

Normal: Nothing.

Bad: -5 HIT, -20 AVO

Worst: -15 HIT, -30 AVO

If an enemy is at best bio and you are at worst, they will essentially have +50 hit on you. Like being up a ledge.

But you can also use this to your advantage especially when it comes to Longbows, Wind Magic or inaccurate weapons in general. Target selection will matter.

And technically, biorhythm can sometimes completely invalidate the bonuses of being above a ledge, so it's not always a completely safe haven. Check enemy (and your own) bio often.

Some units like Aran are completely excluded from these bonuses/penalties however. And someone like Leo will never go to an extreme. Micaiah can sometimes suffer an entire map being on worst bio due to how slow hers is. And Meg is completely immune from worst bio but can reach best. She has a 'special' type. Meg, Danved, Mia, Sigrun and Oliver have this type.

Edited by DLuna

Thanks on the unit feedback, but any comments on the change of map design? (1-5 and 1-6-1 in particular?). The availability of skills, items and weapons? Mechanic changes like Biorhythm, WTA, enemy diversity, difficulty, HP/DEF/RES rebalance etc...? Anything you can comment on, really.

I'll be doing this now.

I'll split this into two parts :

1- The unit as a whole.

2- Each map.

[spoiler=About the characters]

A- Micaiah

1451499460-rfee01-1.png

Supports : Sothe A

She's overall your awesome mage.

Good stat-spread, and good stats overall. Can double some enemies, but not that much. Is also a good "tank" with Worm.

The only issue I'd have might be Worm coming a little bit too late. I think I only got it at 1-6. I'd love to play with Dark Magic early on. xD

But I can see why, since it'd be broken for early game and too strong at 1-4. Maybe you can make it available at 1-5 if it's not already?

B- Edward

1451499461-rfee01-5.png

Supports : Nolan B.

Skills Added : Cancel.

An overall solid unit. He was meant to be a strong and "speedy" myrmidon, right? Pretty much the sturdiest myrm in the game?

Just like Micaiah, stats are where you'd want them to be for him.

Another complain though would be how little is the number of swords you get until 1-4. The Wind Edge and the Iron Sword were almost like that by only the end of 1-3. (and after that I spammed the Wo Dao)

Maybe I missed a Steel Sword in 1-1, but since I routed everytime (minus there) and checked most of the secret items (by memory so not sure if checked them all), but I didn't find a single other sword before I could buy the Wo Dao.

This quite hampers Edward's performance in the early game, since not only he can't hit as hard as the others (still hits hard tho) but gets also short on weapons.

Not that of a problem since he can still catch up, but I'd love to get one more sword.

C- Leonardo

1451499461-rfee01-6.png

Supports : Laura B

The dream of every early game archer.

Balanced stats, good defense and not-so-bad speed. (have I been blessed?)

Not even a single complain. The Iron Longbow is just so good (especially with Laura support for accuracy) it's amazing.

He's especially useful in 1-6-1 to shoot down those pegs. (I didn't buy the Bowgun tho as I didn't see it that useful imo, but people might think otherwise)

D- Nolan

1451499473-rfee01-7.png

Supports : Edward B

Ah... Nolan. Turned from Game-Shredder to good early game helper.

He's basically a second Sothe. He hits hard when you want him to, and has the speed not to get doubled. A great unit.

E- Laura

1451499471-rfee01-8.png

Supports : Leonardo B

Laura... How to say so... Good early game healer.

She's not the glass she used to be. She can tank one hit (at least) and not get doubled.

I love the idea of Staffs being 1-2, makes her way easier to train and use during the fight.

Overall a really good unit. Well done making her usable.

F- Sothe

1451499460-rfee01-2.png

Supports : A Micaiah.

Skills added : Provoke and Blossom.

Overall a great Oifaye/good unit.

I like a lot Paragon, and the fact he comes with Blossom.

His stats are "bad" enough not to ORKO most of the mobs/every mob, and he's squishy enough not to be a "tank-a-lot". Great job.

The only issue I'd have is not about him, but pretty much the fact that after 1-2, there's not that many enemy units to steal from. I really liked the fact there was a lot to get in that chapter.

G- Ilyana

1451499474-rfee01-9.png

Skills Added : Parity.

A good unit. She's pretty bad early on, but shines once she gets bolting.

I don't know if I got screwed, but her magic seems quite low.

It quite forces me to use Elthunder if I want to severely damage something. (dealt 2 with thunder on pegs rofl)

I think she could see improvement, but I'm not sure of that yet.

H- Aran

1451499475-rfee01-10.png

Support : Meg B.

Skills Added : Counter.

An in my opinion Average+ unit overall.

His stats are good, but the lack of speed was way too hard in 1-6-1 (he gained 2 points of speed in this chapter ;-;).

I might have gotten screwed though. And while I can use Ward it might be because I'm the kind who's meh when it comes to use Pure Water. :D

Otherwise he's good.

I- Meg

1451499474-rfee01-11.png

Supports : Aran B

Skills Added : Discipline and Renewal.

Overall I'm really happy with Meg. She's definitely a good/great unit.

Good stat spread, and her low skill is nothing a support can't fix. She might have to rely on the Bronze Sword when her Biorythm is low though, but it's probably intended.

Also, I quite liked the fact she came with a Silver Poleax, made me laugh for a while. xD

J- Volug

1451499461-rfee01-3.png

Skills Added : Renewal

I already expressed myself on Volug. He's imo an average unit.

I'd actually just like his base defense to be increased so he doesn't take too much damage when an enemy hits him.

But as you said, he might get better if he gets to S strike (he's kinda close to that in my playthrough).

I'm just sad about the lack of luck though that made him take two crits (and die) in the first turn of 1-6-1. xD

K- Jill

1451499475-rfee01-12.png

Good unit.

Can deal efficient damage without taking too much and is the only one with Leonardo able to reach the pegs and hurt them. (Ilyana dealt 6 damage to them with Bolting :D)

Not bad at all.

L- Tauroneo/Zihark

1451499464-rfee01-4.png1451499477-rfee01-13.png

Skills added : Imbue/Smite for Tauroneo and Vantage for Zihark.

Couldn't play them that much. They were good.

I'm simply worried though about Tauroneo for when he gets back in 3-12. Will we need to exp him or will it be okay for him to get back at this level? (and most importantly, will we have the tools to exp him?)

Edited by Nintales

There's actually a lot to steal past 1-2 if you look. Mostly healing items or items that will drop on death anyway. But do keep in mind that Sothe gets 20 EXP per steal. That's a kill's worth of EXP almost.

In 1-3 I think there's 7 or 8 things to steal, which is a whole level up if you can realistically steal 5 of those. You can even steal Aran's stuff and give it back to him for 40 EXP kek

Ilyana has ridciulous promo gains -- don't worry about her needing a buff. Promo gains aren't applied properly in the demo but in the full version she gains +3 MAG/SPD/DEF.

I can honestly see people promoting her at LV10.

Imbue is very good on Volug by the way. Passing shade to him from Ilyana also works really well for him.

Do keep in mind that he's insanely mobile and doesn't cost gold in the form of weaponry. It's easy to forget, but he's efficient. Think of him as a free pet. Micaiah is a ranger now.

Or in other words, he's half a unit that costs nothing until he becomes a normal one in part 3. But forced, meaning you can't bench him for a stronger unit in the meantime. So if you give him EXP/WEXP, he will be plenty strong by part 3 when he gets a free deployment anyway.

When I change Nailah's dialogue in 1-5 to describe him as 'inexperienced' it'll make a bit more sense, I suppose.

Edited by DLuna

I once again took the liberty of ripping the files from the patched ISO and creating a folder compatible with Riivolution for the demo: https://mega.nz/#F!i8lRmZ5D!TEeKl1wjLC6lMsiwIojEpQ

See my post on page 16 for links to both versions of the V2.0 patch.

Edited by Elite Lord Sigma

Made an account to keep up with this. Radiant Dawn is my favorite Fire Emblem game so I'm really looking forward to how this project will pan out.

I've downloaded the demo and have started playing it. I'm not too far, so I haven't really experienced too many changes, but I'll comment on them as they turn up.

One minor thing that I wanted to point out, I had to restart 1-1 (embarrassingly enough) because of new reinforcement patterns. In your demo there is a set of reinforcements that spawn right where the escape tiles are (I don't think they appear in the base game). The previous turn I had Micaiah kill the boss and then I had the rest of my units escape. Then at the beginning of my turn two reinforcements appeared and cut off Micaiah's escape path, and she obviously can't beat a Soldier and an Archer by herself.

A few other things I'm wondering about. First of all, is there going to be better balance in the ranged weapon options? In the base game Hand Axes are clearly the best statistically, plus you can forge them to make them better. Did you remove the ability to forge Hand Axes in this version? Or are other weapons somehow balanced around the fact that you can have forged Hand Axes. Also, are you going to change up the location of hidden treasures? Do hidden treasures even play a very big importance in this version? I really hate the fact that a lot of the cool stuff is hidden in the base game (Beastfoe, Brave Bow, lots of other skills, STEFAN...), which basically forces you to look at a guide if you want to find most of the stuff. Could you perhaps consider shifting a lot of the unique/important items (and possibly the Stefan recruitment) out of hidden tiles and into other areas (maybe bargains?).

Anyways, I'll keep playing through the demo and I'll let you know if I encounter any other issues or weird things. I'll probably make a followup post later.

Well, I have removed Beastfoe altogether. That particular find is replaced by a Master Seal. Brave Bow will likely change too.

I have also improved the find rate% so standing on the correct tile will likely get you the item too.

Handaxes now have the worst accuracy but the highest MT, as it should. As with the other 1-2 range weapons they'll be very expensive too. Forging will also be adjusted.

Regarding hidden treasure: the best possible outcome would be learning how to apply the "divine halo" that indicates their positon in Part 4 of the japanese version.

If not, then those that are in completely arbitrary tiles (that is, those like Stefan that aren't at the top of a pile of coins), have their tile changed, or put a square/diamond pattern of slightly different tiles around them.

Is anything up with Disarm in the demo? I only ask because I had to shoot a Bishop about 20 times with a capped SKL Leonardo before he finally dropped his Mend staff.

Also, the demo black screened and crashed on my Wii when I attempted to proceed to Chapter I-6-2. I was able to proceed to the battle by reloading the base game and saving at the Adv menu, but I'm pretty sure the levels are all screwed up, as Fiona is at Level 9, Laverton is at Level 16, and the enemies range from Level 10-13 as opposed to the Level 16-17 enemies with some Level 4 second tier enemies thrown in. Any idea as to what could be causing this problem?

Edited by Elite Lord Sigma

Also, the demo black screened and crashed on my Wii when I attempted to proceed to Chapter I-6-2. I was able to proceed to the battle by reloading the base game and saving at the Adv menu, but I'm pretty sure the levels are all screwed up, as Fiona is at Level 9, Laverton is at Level 16, and the enemies range from Level 10-13 as opposed to the Level 16-17 enemies with some Level 4 second tier enemies thrown in. Any idea as to what could be causing this problem?

I think that's just him taking his new job way too seriously? Might just be cutting the middle man and crashing the game for you. Don't worry about it!

You reloading the base game has reverted the map to its original state.

Is anything up with Disarm in the demo? I only ask because I had to shoot a Bishop about 20 times with a capped SKL Leonardo before he finally dropped his Mend staff.

Leo only has a realistic chance of activating Disarm on good bio this early in the game. Chance being 8% with max SKL. Other wise you're looking at 4% on normal and 1% on bad?
Leo doesn't have access to best bio needs to wait until tier 2 to activate it semi-regularly. Lategame on good bio he will activate it 20% of the time.

Here are some more unit data that are finalized:

UNIT DATA

EDWARD

Edward.png

SOTHE

Sothe.png

ILYANA

Ilyana.png

VOLUG

Volug.png

FIONA

Fiona.png

TORMOD

Tormod.png

VIKA

Vika.png

IKE

Ike.png

PELLEAS

Pelleas.png

These aren't the full profiles or anything. Just some data worth showing for now.

EDIT: Added Tormod

Speaking of biorythms, you think it'd be possible to alter a texture or something so that the byorrythm graph background has vertical divisions to tell where exactly the next step will be?

Not sure on that. Although, once you learn/memorise the patterns for each bio type, it isn't too difficult. I suppose people haven't done so in the past considering how negligible it was in the original game.

Edited by DLuna

Just a question, why does Pelleas use fire magic instead of thunder magic?

Dark is strictly 1 range. So is Thunder. The only main difference between them is more MT/HIT on thunder in return for the defensive boost on Dark.

Fire is 2 range and give Pelleas more flexibility. And it fulfils the same purpose in regards to having more MTA coverage. And having too many thunder users for 4-E-3 may make that map easier than it should be under a certain setup.

It's generally better for him since when he is in resolve-mode he can function better as an offensive powerhouse.

Not in resolve? Dark/Staves. Resolve? Fire.

Edited by DLuna

My Wii crashes too, but as early as when attempting to load 1-2's map prep screen (after the second conversation, already at the storage house, it fades to black never to unfade again). Using the patch B, as the other, already-pacthed iso wouldn't be loaded by Wiilflow.

Incidentally, 1-2 in the base game is the only Escape chapter where you don't get BEXP for any player unit that escapes before the commander (Micaiah). if you can change it to do so, do it, but if not, it would probably be better of as an Arrive, to avoid confusion.

Edited by Mr. Mister