Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

@Carreau Diamond I'm happy to send you a PM as I've done with everyone else so far. However I'm unable to do so currently -- you'll need to enable that. I'd much rather not flood this topic with patching requests or too much discussion surrounding that.

@flare9 Give me a PM if you still need some assistance, although I understand that Mr. Mister has been helping you so far? 

@Mr. Mister I actually recall you having some issues patching a long while back. I'm guessing these were overcome? If you have any issues on your end, feel free to PM me all the same.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunal, you shenaniger, you set to patch A the iso that two years ago was patch B! And while we're at it, you could've added the .ppf file extension to the patches.

Anyway, got it wrking now. The MD5 for ISO A is 5D030F0F1B2D893D239227EF639FD7FC.

If that's not your MD5 and patch B ain't working for you either, PM me and I'll tell you how to change your MD5 to this one.

Tried a few things, including creating different folders labeled "A" & "B", downloading fresh ISOs, downloading the newest patch again. Nothing seems to work for me. I'm not even getting any error messages when patching, PFFomatic says both patches have worked fine, but the game proceeds as it normally does as a vanilla iso.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Dunal, you shenaniger, you set to patch A the iso that two years ago was patch B! And while we're at it, you could've added the .ppf file extension to the patches.

That so? I swear 'A' was the base ISO I've always worked on. Supposedly not.

Latter is fixed now in the download link. Whoops. 

5 minutes ago, Carreau Diamond said:

Tried a few things, including creating different folders labeled "A" & "B", downloading fresh ISOs, downloading the newest patch again. Nothing seems to work for me. I'm not even getting any error messages when patching, PFFomatic says both patches have worked fine, but the game proceeds as it normally does as a vanilla iso.

Try downloading the patches again. Likely to do with the file type of the patches.

Edited by Dunal

For those interested, here's a Dolphin savefile with clear data, so you can play NG+ with map animations disabled, and get Pellie whenever Dunal releases up to that part. It's at the point where you can import your PoR data too if you want (if you know how to do that with Dolphin; I always just do the transfer on the Wii and then bring the savefile back to dolphin).

FE10_US.dat

Also, Dunal, put the word "install" or some derivative of it where you mention to use ppf-o-matic on the OP, so that people can simply ctrl+f "install" to know how to do it (it'd be nice if you added a tiiiiiiiny readme on the download telling you to use ppf-o-matic too).

EDIT: Oh, and maybe you should rename "ReDux+" to "WIP" or "DISABLED" (it's gonna be a separate patch anyway), or at least mention in its description that it's not done yet, so that unaware people starting NG+ don't try it.

Edited by Mr. Mister

In the change log on the OP you say that the hidden master seal in 1-4 has been changed to an energy drop i believe...however, it is still a master seal for me. Just an FYI.

Also, that character description for Meg...homegirl doesn't deserve that :lol: lol

EDIT: Just read an earlier post that said Micaiah's magic stat is supposed to cap at 11...but my Micaiah caps magic at what looks like 15 or 16...am i playing an outdated patch? 

Edited by ShamelessIan

9 hours ago, Ace Pelleas said:

Will play it whenever I have a chance. If only somebody could answer, are transfer bonus working?

It should do, but I wouldn't recommend using them for feedback purposes (regarding balance/difficulty).

6 hours ago, ShamelessIan said:

In the change log on the OP you say that the hidden master seal in 1-4 has been changed to an energy drop i believe...however, it is still a master seal for me. Just an FYI.

Also, that character description for Meg...homegirl doesn't deserve that :lol: lol

EDIT: Just read an earlier post that said Micaiah's magic stat is supposed to cap at 11...but my Micaiah caps magic at what looks like 15 or 16...am i playing an outdated patch? 

There are two hidden items in 1-4, one is a Master Seal and one's an Energy Drop. Used to be two Master Seals.

They were referring to what level they maxed MAG on. Her MAG cap is 16.

6 hours ago, ShamelessIan said:

If it makes you feel any better she's apparently top/high tier in this current release.

A few long term playtesters (some friends of mine) together compiled a tier list of sorts for part 1:

Spoiler

Part 1 Ranking (by Ozone192, Bennix & Jack)

Patch 0.8.6

1|Ilyana | Meg
2|Sothe | Tormod
3|Tauroneo | BK
4|Laura | Nolan | Rafiel
5|Leonardo
6|Muarim | Aran
7|Jill | Micaiah | Vika
8|Volug | Zihark | Fiona
9|Edward

BOTTOM

It'll be interesting to see if you guys agree/disagree with this. The list is based around reliability as well. Edward isn't necessarily bad, it's just that he's considered to fall flat if he doesn't gain much SPD or STR/DEF. So he's more RNG reliant than some other units (well... all of them). But that's just going to be the way some units are. It's also strictly for part 1, so part 3 or 4 performance isn't accounted for.

Also for those interested, this is the general consensus for the part 3 units in early/beta testing: 

Spoiler

Part 3 Ranking (by Ozone192 & Jack)

PART 3
1|Titania
2|Ilyana | Kyza | Heather
3|Ranulf | Reyson
4|Brom | Shinon
5|Mist | Ulki | Boyd | Ike
6|Rhys | Soren | Lyre
7|Rolf | Gatrie | Mordecai
8|Janaff | Mia | Nephenee
9|Lethe | Haar | Oscar

BOTTOM

It's one of their ways of giving feedback and it may help provide some discussion. (Granted Part 3 isn't too relevant to you guys currently -- consider it a teaser?). 

Edited by Dunal

I just realised why Resire is (at least in part 1) more "OP" than I thought it was - because, unlike bows, it doesn't lose any hit at 3 range. 1-1's second half is trivialised by sticking Micaiah in front of the boss and oneshotting the longbowman with Resire when you do so - in enemy phase she's gonna kill the scholar and bring the boss to minimum HP, and enter player phase with full HP (I don't remember if there was yet another ranged unit, but if so she killed that too). This way you can easily rout the enemy 3 turns before the extra reinforcements come from the top.

Maybe setting Resire's internal weapon type to bow instead of knive (if that's what you did) would make it lose hit at 3 range?

Also, Lara helping me LTC by healcritting a scholar for 24 damage.

Spoiler

RFEE01-2.png.0fed69589d4e4c4c556fa1dce90846dd.png

Edited by Mr. Mister

Consider however that Resire is 60 HIT consistantly while Longbow has 60 HIT at 3 range as well. Then the difference is that Micaiah has bad/mediocre SKL while someone like Leo (or archers in general) have a lot of it. 

Unless biorhythm is massively in her favour she isn't going to be consistently hitting with it. And you want to save uses for it for say, Laura in 1-8 (or just throughout part 1 overall). Micaiah also loses a fair amount of AS from it at base and she only has a 15% STR growth. So she can easily just get doubled without hitting with it. There are more reliable ways to deal with the map depending on Micaiah's gains or Biorhythm. 

Edited by Dunal

9 hours ago, Dunal said:

1|Ilyana | Meg
2|Sothe | Tormod
3|Tauroneo | BK
4|Laura | Nolan | Rafiel
5|Leonardo
6|Muarim | Aran
7|Jill | Micaiah | Vika
8|Volug | Zihark | Fiona
9|Edward

Somebody really likes Ilyana

But seriously, Ilyana has amazing growths, that coupled with her new mage fighter class is making her easily my favorite unit.  I'm happy seeing her get the buff she deserves. I really like using units I don't normally use, so Ilyana and Meg being top tier makes me happy. Too bad Fiona appears to still be bottom tier, although i'll make that decision for myself when I get there. For some reason I've always liked her and wanted to use her despite her being shit at everything :lol:

3 minutes ago, ShamelessIan said:

Somebody really likes Ilyana

But seriously, Ilyana has amazing growths, that coupled with her new mage fighter class is making her easily my favorite unit.  I'm happy seeing her get the buff she deserves. I really like using units I don't normally use, so Ilyana and Meg being top tier makes me happy. Too bad Fiona appears to still be bottom tier, although i'll make that decision for myself when I get there. For some reason I've always liked her and wanted to use her despite her being shit at everything :lol:

Keep in mind that Ilyana still takes EXP away from the DB, while the Greil Mercenaries have no shortage of units to deploy. Because of this particular downside; she indirectly makes the DB worse off in part 3. She's really good, but at least there's a reason why you may not want to use her too much. It's also worth mentioning that additional enemy strategists were added since the last version, which hard counter her.

That list was made in the previous patch; Fiona's been buffed in the last update. She's mostly lower down though because like Edward, she's reliant on doubling to be good, but won't always consistently gain sufficient speed. She could still be underrated though since her healing utility is really nice.

33 minutes ago, Dunal said:

Keep in mind that Ilyana still takes EXP away from the DB, while the Greil Mercenaries have no shortage of units to deploy. Because of this particular downside; she indirectly makes the DB worse off in part 3. She's really good, but at least there's a reason why you may not want to use her too much. It's also worth mentioning that additional enemy strategists were added since the last version, which hard counter her.

That list was made in the previous patch; Fiona's been buffed in the last update. She's mostly lower down though because like Edward, she's reliant on doubling to be good, but won't always consistently gain sufficient speed. She could still be underrated though since her healing utility is really nice.

I'm the type of player that milks EXP at every possible opportunity that I get, so Ilyana taking EXP away from the DB isn't a big concern of mine...we'll see though as i continue on. I have all units at level 12-13 at start of 1-5, save for Meg who is 9 The laguz in 1-4 were EXP machines lol. 

Also, I saw in an earlier post you recommend to promote the DB units around lvl 14-16...is this something you recommend in all fire emblem games or just this one? I typically only promote once my units get to lvl 20, so im curious as to the pro's of promoting earlier?

Engine bug report: It might be that giving Canto to cats has the side-effect of restoring their full transformed movement upon transformation, or near that: an untransformed cat moved its full untransformed movement of 7 tiles, transformed, attacked, and then retreated 8 tiles (its full transformed movement is 9).

EDIT: Also, consider making the upper longbowman's red gem in 1-3 droppable instead of stealable only: Not onlly does the map now heavily discourage using the eastern path - it is also impossible to split between the two routes in a timely manner and get all the main stealables without having to let that longbowman become a an annoyance, as you can't move past the door until you have baited the boss to the lower left where Sothe'll have been stealing the other red gem and the ruin, and sometimes he'll move and block the enemy cav with the droppable iron sword from attacking, putting everyone into a deadlock until Sothe makes his way there or you can shove him back.

EDIT 2: Does the "thief" staff allow to steal from enemies too? If not, that's a bit of a confusing rename.

Edited by Mr. Mister

48 minutes ago, ShamelessIan said:

I'm the type of player that milks EXP at every possible opportunity that I get, so Ilyana taking EXP away from the DB isn't a big concern of mine...we'll see though as i continue on. I have all units at level 12-13 at start of 1-5, save for Meg who is 9 The laguz in 1-4 were EXP machines lol. 

Also, I saw in an earlier post you recommend to promote the DB units around lvl 14-16...is this something you recommend in all fire emblem games or just this one? I typically only promote once my units get to lvl 20, so im curious as to the pro's of promoting earlier?

It's recommend to promote the bulk of your units before 1-7, since all enemies are promoted at that point. 14-16 is typically the levels your units will be. However, you can make a couple exceptions for using BEXP to fill out some stats, since most units cap their core stats at 14-16. Promotion bonuses are really strong, so you need the power boost at some point.

It's even recommend to promote a unit as early as 1-6. Nolan/Leo are good candidates due to the Bowgun. Or Laura since she doesn't lose staff EXP but appreciates the extra move + 4 MAG. 

48 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Engine bug report: It might be that giving Canto to cats has the side-effect of restoring their full transformed movement upon transformation, or near that: an untransformed cat moved its full untransformed movement of 7 tiles, transformed, attacked, and then retreated 8 tiles (its full transformed movement is 9).

EDIT: Also, consider making the upper longbowman's red gem in 1-3 droppable instead of stealable only: Not onlly does the map now heavily discourage using the eastern path - it is also impossible to split between the two routes in a timely manner and get all the main stealables without having to let that longbowman become a an annoyance, as you can't move past the door until you have baited the boss to the lower left where Sothe'll have been stealing the other red gem and the ruin, and sometimes he'll move and block the enemy cav with the droppable iron sword from attacking, putting everyone into a deadlock until Sothe makes his way there or you can shove him back.

EDIT 2: Does the "thief" staff allow to steal from enemies too? If not, that's a bit of a confusing rename.

This is something unique to cats that I'm allowing; it's a unique quirk that I think is fine. Players can utilize it as well.

Possibly, although the intention here is that you're rewarded for not killing the longbowman before killing the boss. The added difficulty is meant to exist, otherwise the player will just want to kill them over the wall (without retaliation at 2 range) every time.

It doesn't steal no. Name change is just a nod to older FE games and the fact that the staff gives passive SPD solely (also being a decent-ish combat weapon as a result for some units). 

Could you at least make that longbowman not move from his spot then? It's not him attacking that's the problem, it's him blocking the iron sword cavalier from attacking and chokepointing the door by helding that red gem hostage. He's in a very appropiate spot to snipe from anyway.

Also, fun fact: when shooting a longbow and the shortest possible route to the target tile is blocked by bow-blocking terrain (like pillars or non-collumned walls), the hit penalty applied is the correct one for the longer path the arrow takes around the obstacle.

So yes, curving the bu- ehem, the arrow, is a thing.

20 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Could you at least make that longbowman not move from his spot then? It's not him attacking that's the problem, it's him blocking the iron sword cavalier from attacking and chokepointing the door by helding that red gem hostage. He's in a very appropiate spot to snipe from anyway.

I may make some changes here. Although, could end up just making their existence trivial. They have to be exactly 3 range to often land reliably, in which the moving variant would go for when possible. Immobile longbow users need to be placed in such a way they can still be threatening. I'll see what I can do.

13 minutes ago, Bland-Axe said:

Hey, don't know if anyone has already said this but after restarting heal went back to being 1 range. Great stuff btw.

Are you sure you haven't loaded an incorrect ISO? There's no reason it would be 1-range unless you've specifically loaded an non-patched one.

Keep in mind that creating a save file on a patched ISO doesn't mean that resuming it on a non-patched one will retain all changes.

Edited by Dunal

10 minutes ago, Dunal said:

Are you sure you haven't loaded an incorrect ISO? There's no reason it would be 1-range unless you've specifically loaded an non-patched one.

Keep in mind that creating a save file on a patched ISO doesn't mean that resuming it on a non-patched one will retain all changes.

Your right my bad.

By the way, for those who complete the current release, would it be possible to answer the following if you have the time?:

1) In terms of difficulty, what map(s) do you feel is too difficult for that particular point in the game?

2) In terms of difficulty, what map(s) do you feel is too easy for that particular point in the game?

3) Are there any units who you feel are too weak for what their purpose is?

4) Are there any units you feel are too powerful?

5) How do you feel the gold income is? Too much gold? Too little? What should be cheaper/more expensive?

6) What weapons do you feel are too powerful or too weak for what they're designed for?

7) Are there any mechanics you feel that need tweaking?

8) In regards to skills, do you feel that the capacity costs are appropriate? Any availability changes you'd like to see for certain skills?

9) 2-3 is currently the map being polished for release. Any thoughts on this map and what you might want to see? Do you feel that less enemies would be preferable to improve the pacing, or that more plentiful but weaker enemies is fine (same EXP total in both scenarios, which will be far higher compared to the original in order for the Crimean Knights to not end up under-levelled)?

10) 'Elite' enemies (mini bosses) are currently an experiment for 1-E. Do you believe they are good to include and would you like to see them on some earlier maps? Are the stat bonuses they receive sufficient, or should be stronger/weaker than they are? What enemies do you feel could become 'Elite' to improve the pacing/difficulty of any particular map?

This is the type of feedback I'll be looking for.

32 minutes ago, Dunal said:

9) 2-3 is currently the map being polished for release. Any thoughts on this map and what you might want to see? Do you feel that less enemies would be preferable to improve the pacing, or that more plentiful but weaker enemies is fine (same EXP total in both scenarios, which will be far higher compared to the original in order for the Crimean Knights to not end up under-levelled)?

I'm just going to answer this question now as im only on 1-6 part 1. I'll give you the rest of my feedback when I complete the current release. 

My opinion is that fewer enemies that are more powerful is preferable to a litany of weaker enemies. One of my favorite aspects of FE games is to see that EXP bar go up, and weaker enemies tend to give little EXP and make me feel like that kill was a waste. This is a big problem through a lot of the base FE10 game. I also think that for this particular map, the scenario lends itself to fewer enemies, as Duke Ludveck has taken the majority of his forces to ambush Elincia, and only left a small army to distract the crimean knights. However, this army should still be difficult to combat, with long range spell casters added to the walls to make for a more formidable position. Maybe give the player some incentive to capture both sides of the castle walls rather than just defeating the boss and seizing the castle.

This is just my opinion, but I could also see having a ton of weaker enemies being fun, as it would make for a very chaotic castle siege. I think having a ton of enemies would lend itself better to the 2-E however; im talking like wave upon wave of enemies, making it much more of a defense chapter where you could actually feel like you might lose the position if you aren't careful. 

Also, just want to say I am loving this project so far! Can't wait to finish so I can give you more feedback, but it will probably be a few days because of work and school.