Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

None of the patches work for me, I can't play it at all...

Edit: thanks to Dunal I can play it. So far I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 and it's really different. Not better, not worse, different. Magic is really strange (like thunder having 1-2 range, fire 2 and wind 3, ruin 1, nosferatu-like 1-3 hitting def...) and weapons too (it seems like some weapons/magic have really low number of uses, Edward's slim sword went down to 7 uses between the prologue and chapter 1 end without overusing him). Stat repartition is a bit weird too (I mean base stats) but for now it's manageable so I'm going to keep going and see if I can enjoy it further. I'm wondering if the thief in 1-2 will rush to the boss chest or not, so if I have to rush Sothe to kill him or if I can take my time to bring the others and feed them the high exp kill.

Edited by mangasdeouf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thiefs in 1-2 don’t head for the chests - they’re there just to try to steal YOUR healing items. They prioritize doing so over attacking, but if you bait smartly, you can get the first thief to attack you, which he’ll equip his droppable kard to do so, and then you can steal his bronze dagger and kill him to get his kard too.

Thunder and Fire are outliers in their magic lines - the rest of thunder magic is 1-range but much more powerful (and so Illyana and enemy thunder mages, renamed thunder knights IIRC, have better suited frontline stats to wield them than the fire sages, renamed to seers->sages, though these can wield all non-dark magic), while the better fire tomes have 1-2 range.

Regarding magic, keep in mind the magic triangle adv/disavs are more pronounced. I don’t remember the numbers, but you should keep that in mind, and I think the magic triangle has different adv/disadv than the anima subtriangle.

Anyway - any news, Dunal? Any new ideas youkve decided to implement?

Edited by Mr. Mister

8 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Anyway - any news, Dunal? Any new ideas youkve decided to implement?

No new changes that haven't been mentioned already (enemy AI is the last major change), and likely that the scope of the project is now finalized. Next update will be fairly substantial based on the feedback of everyone so far. 

Next release will also be up to 3-2. Been some delays due to personal reasons (just haven't had a lot of free time lately) but progress for the next release is going well. Still making tweaks to 2-E which probably the biggest map re-design yet.

On 12/03/2018 at 11:59 AM, mangasdeouf said:

So far I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 and it's really different. Not better, not worse, different.

That's a completely normal response to have for the first few maps. A lot of the changes are introduced without really pressuring the player to make optimal use out of them, so a lot of them may seem a little odd. Once the difficulty ramps up it should provide some clarity on how/why things are balanced/designed as they are. One of the main goals of the hack was to cater to a huge amount of different playstyles and/or unit archetypes, without there being any real way to break the game either. So you can have fun experimenting with different unit builds and play-styles without gimping yourself for not playing a certain way (where basically, the gap between the optimal and less optimal choices are less pronounced than the RNG -- Edward being a good example of this).

Thunder is 1-2 range as it's basically the Javelin/Handaxe of thunder magic (purely exists so Ilyana has a 2 range option) with the upside of being able to forge. Fire has 2 range only so that Volug and other beast laguz can kill users on player phase without being punished (other fire tomes are 1-2 though). The E tomes are all quite weak due to forging possibilities, to make early enemy mages easier to deal with, and to also make the higher rank tomes feel strong in comparison (and worth spending gold on). Situationally they can still be useful though. Forging 'Light' is useful for Laura after promotion while forging 'Wind' gives Tormod/Calill a 3 range option without destroying their hit-rates in the meantime. 'Thunder' is always a really useful forge for Ilyana. 'Fire' is probably the worst out of the lot but if you have a spare coin you can forge one for Micaiah in part 3 or something.

Otherwise it's the 'El' tomes and beyond that solidify each type's niche. Dark magic doesn't have an E tome however; 'Ruin' is essentially the equivalent of an 'El' tome in terms of overall value.

In terms of base stats, what examples do you have? Keep in mind that the actual values matter less than how they affect units in practice. Micaiah having more DEF than RES is one example that I've seen others make, but based on lower enemy mage ATK, her low RES base teaches players to be somewhat aware of the magic triangle early on. She does still have a good growth in the stat however. On the other hand, she has enough HP/DEF to avoid being one-shot and viably make good use out of dark magic (although the latter becomes a lot more situational later on). 

Hey Dunal, I'm just curious. Also, what's Stefan going to look like? I'm guessing that since the Vague Katti's presence revolves around him so much, he's going to have some kind of unique aspect that makes him particularly strong at wielding it? With him coming so extremely late and with such a common class, it's hard to imagine him being able to be helped out that much.

Leonardo and the diversifying of unit niches has been really fun to observe for me. Fiona doubling down on that weird affinity for magic she had, Heather's Gambit-style hybrid damage, Meg's insanity, and Mia and Danved's huge glass-cannon roles are things I wouldn't have ever thought of. They're super fun to look at.

Also, who's been your favorite unit to work on with this project? Plus, what's been your favorite aspect of this project and the game to work on?

Edited by Carreau Diamond

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, random thought - have you checked that nothing wierd happens if Micaiah triggers Corona when using non-light magic? Asking because since Corona in vanilla is only for light-locked magic users, I don't know if the ball of light hovering over them during Corona will switch to the appropiate magic element (similar to how mages' criticals animations have the corresponding magic ball appearing according to the tome they're using).

5 hours ago, Golden Battler said:

Playing on Dolphin 5.0-7004, I get an error going into 1-2. The pre-mission dialogue (with Laura and etc) loads just fine, but then the game just infinitely hangs on a black screen. Not sure if there's something I can change on my end, but might be worth looking into.

This is a known issue. The file causing the problem has been identified, but I'm not sure if Dunal has fixed the issue yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you considered making Pelleas available from Chapter 1-E? There's a cutscene there in vanilla that makes it look like he should be force deployed in that map, as it's when he decides to actually do something for once. Additionally, everyone being promoted by then means that it's sensible to acquire a low level dark sage at that point.

Edited by dD_ShockTrooper

@Dunal i hope you havent lost interest in this as it was the best hack on serenes forest if you have at least give us the latest testing build publically so we can play the whole game in the hack even if late game isnt fully balanced 

On 5/7/2018 at 3:31 AM, tenkuuke said:

Hi.

I'm having troubles trying to get the patch to run. Maybe it's the ISO that I'm using but whenever I patch the game (with either A or B) the game doesn't boot up.

Are there any fixes to this?

I'm having the same issue, has anyone else encountered this.

On 16/04/2018 at 8:26 AM, Golden Battler said:

Playing on Dolphin 5.0-7004, I get an error going into 1-2. The pre-mission dialogue (with Laura and etc) loads just fine, but then the game just infinitely hangs on a black screen. Not sure if there's something I can change on my end, but might be worth looking into.

I found a way around, i load a unpatched ISO and battle save at the start of the battle in 1-2, then loaded the patched iso trough the battle save slot, the enemies are the ones in the vanilla RD, and makes 1-3 really hard cause you can't grind properly in 1-2, but i could experience the rest of the changes in other chapters, so it was a worth skip.Maybe the enemy deployment is causing a bug in some cases?  

• 3 weeks later...

It had happen a lot of time since the last time a visit this thread...

It seems the next Patch is still under developement

• 1 month later...

'Sup Dunal. You thinking of bringing RDux to FEE3 2018 again? I'm thinking you could make them play 1-E directly this time, it's a good showcase of what you can do if you expand the map data. Or if you've managed to outdo 1-E in a part 2 map, go for it, I'm still excited.

On 09/08/2018 at 12:11 PM, Mr. Mister said:

'Sup Dunal. You thinking of bringing RDux to FEE3 2018 again? I'm thinking you could make them play 1-E directly this time, it's a good showcase of what you can do if you expand the map data. Or if you've managed to outdo 1-E in a part 2 map, go for it, I'm still excited.

I do plan on submitting this once again for a latter map. The candidates are likely to be either 1-8, 2-2 or 3-1. 1-E might not be the best candidate in terms of difficulty or length.

Will probably end up being 1-8 (with all units auto-levelled) so the host has some degree of options as to who they want to use. Might depend on who that is though (and what they've played previously).

As for an update, I will likely be delaying the next release until the FEE3 showing this year. Will be midway Part 3 along with plenty of changes to previous maps and balancing.

On 11/8/2018 at 3:25 AM, Dunal said:

Will be midway Part 3

Oh boy, will it be a real challange to perform The Great Dracoshield Heist? Will it be a dracoshield, or something else? Will enemy paladin reinforcements equipped with knightkillers show up at the same gate Geoffrey and co. did two turns after them, so Devdan gets some use as a rear guard instead of being left behind, or will that be solved by a denser corridor of enemies to break trhough?

I still think it's a shame that map expansion would be required to give Steal to Makalov; it'd fit him well and give him a niche.

Edited by Mr. Mister

1 hour ago, Mr. Mister said:

Oh boy, will it be a real challange to perform The Great Dracoshield Heist? Will it be a dracoshield, or something else? Will enemy paladin reinforcements equipped with knightkillers show up at the same gate Geoffrey and co. did two turns after them, so Devdan gets some use as a rear guard instead of being left behind, or will that be solved by a denser corridor of enemies to break trhough?

I still think it's a shame that map expansion would be required to give Steal to Makalov; it'd fit him well and give him a niche.

2-E is designed so that you basically need the Crimean Knights to swoop in and clear out enemies faster than they spawn. Ludveck is surrounded by Crossbows/Horseslayers so you can't cheese the map with a few units either. Ludveck himself has a Tempest Blade (that drops as well) with capped DEF, 96 HP, but low RES. Calill or Heather are essentially required to kill him (they have WTA keep in mind).

There's also a miniboss on the map (bottom left) that has huge incentive to kill as well (drops Meteor) which you can then use to kill Ludveck over 5 or 6 turns (or less with Leanne). But you need to kill this sage before turn 5 otherwise you're running out of its uses. So even if you cannot get the Master Crown from Ludveck (the only one in the game until 3-12) then you can at least snipe the Tempest Blade (which is nice for Makalov in 3-9 if you grab it this way with Calill). Speaking of which, Makalov's niche is his biorhythm type plus insane growths (430% total which is fourth best in the game behind Elincia, Sanaki and Micaiah). As for Danved, you'll want to rescue drop him since there won't be much downside to doing so.

Otherwise it's difficult enough to survive. Going to be a fun map, I promise! 

Volug and Nailah now have steal untransformed by the way. It does mean that in part 4 you'll have the option to steal on every map. 

Really interesting ideas! Loving the way 2-E is looking (in my head at least). Sounds like a super fun defense map. Is there any incentive for the right side of the map? One thing I used to do in vanilla is block the right side with mordecai and just hop down the ledges with fliers + leanne to get to Ludveck easier. 

2 hours ago, Zihark72 said:

Really interesting ideas! Loving the way 2-E is looking (in my head at least). Sounds like a super fun defense map. Is there any incentive for the right side of the map? One thing I used to do in vanilla is block the right side with mordecai and just hop down the ledges with fliers + leanne to get to Ludveck easier. 

Enemies are really aggressive/threatening and you'll also be flanked each side by fliers. Some enemies also work like Conquest CH10 where they'll prioritise going for the defend point if unprotected (or attempting to kill someone who's on it). You do have a decent number of fliers to rotate around in order to deal with them, but you can't really focus on any particular area of the map. Occasionally Elincia/Leanne (Sacrifice) will be occupied with restoring sleep/silence as well. There's a lot going on (to the point where successfully going for bonus objectives/loot is incredibly tough -- Meteor!Calill is the "easy" way to cheese the map and even that's very high risk).

Can’t wait for the next update to play beyond 2-2. 2-E sounds as though it will be even more epic (and much tougher) than the original.  

Curious  to see how Calill plays. She’s been been one of me favourite characters since PoR. Hoping she retains her ‘speedy mage’ status.