Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

I appreciate the go ahead, in that case I think I'll stream some of it tomorrow, probably at about noon EST, you can find me at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWoReDAsDYLY5x7q4lWFb-Q

I've been doing recorded LPs for a long time but I'm just now getting into this streaming thing so apologies in advance if I derp around a bit.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Dunal said:

The idea is that he now has Formshift but is incredibly squishy (with higher movement) when untransformed

Oh, that will be interesting. Ideally you would switch forms every turn, so that the turn he starts untransformed he can catch up to the frontlines, transform and dance, tank that enemy phase, heal more with blessing at the start of the next turn, then move not very far as to help clean up the enemies that moved in to attack before, untransforming when doing so so that the next turn he can advance again.

16 hours ago, Dunal said:

Nolan also gets a Killer Axe in 1-5 as well. You can imagine that the SKL boost makes it especially good on him.

Either way, these changes to them should help them compete better with Meg. Keep in mind her performance in Part 3 as you would imagine it (Claymore/Brave Lance + Butcher...) and has that potential Laura support now (which actually makes 2-range viable on her as well).

I am so excited to use her in part 3, Claymore in the laguz chapter sounds so good. But I imagine the tigers might have high enough HP that they will not get one shot.

ah yes i remember you mentioned that a while ago as an idea you might do. yea the killer axe sounds sweet, it will help mitigate his lower strength and overall make him more useful, can help him one round an enemy in clutch situations. 

Edited by Zihark72

I really like this hack it seems awesome but I've been having trouble with patching it, well more after patching the rom the game was still the same I tried comparing stats of Michiah to your changes but her bases and everything are the same I dunno if I did something wrong or not and was wondering if I could get some help with this.

20 hours ago, Slikside73 said:

I really like this hack it seems awesome but I've been having trouble with patching it, well more after patching the rom the game was still the same I tried comparing stats of Michiah to your changes but her bases and everything are the same I dunno if I did something wrong or not and was wondering if I could get some help with this.

Sent you a PM. Hopefully that helps.

In other news, I've witnessed a couple people play "ReDux+" now and then criticising the hack for either being too difficult or having inflated enemy stats etc... Yeeaah keep in mind that it's entirely a placeholder currently (functioning the same as the original's hard mode... except 'worse' due to how enemy growths work now and additional relevance of WTA for magic etc...). Enemies are specifically tuned for 'Normal' or 'ReDux' (which factors heavily into doubling thresholds, matchups with WTA, unit durability/damage etc...).

Someone pointed out that the Black Knight can get 2 or 3RKOed in 1-E(?) as opposed to 5 or 6RKO due to how enemies scale (combination of factors such as now having enough AS to double him, higher base ATK, Alondite not having WTA against anima or 'Aura' not working etc...). It's no secret that Tier 2 enemies have very high growths (but scale slowly throughout the game in base level -- for EXP purposes particularly in part 3) but HM/R+ with its hidden levels messes with that quite a bit.

The default difficulty mode ('ReDux' replacing normal mode) is already harder than hard mode in the original (but without removing weapon triangle or inflating enemies relative to your own units) so I really suggest not playing it at all (unless you're aware it isn't going to be optimised for the hack and just want to mess with it).

Just throwing that out there for the time being since I really should remove it outright in a future update. Or put a bigger disclaimer on it's in-game description. Some people have opted to jump straight to into it because they have to play the hardest mode and then getting frustrated. Keep in mind that I do still plan on creating a harder mode later on, but it won't have stronger enemies or reduced EXP etc... And will likely be a separate version of the hack altogether (which would have a bigger focus on enemy AI, map arrangements, weaponry etc... much more similar to say Conquest Hard vs. Lunatic I suppose -- FE10 just outright doesn't have a good hard mode).

Edited by Dunal

You should really rename the "Hard" difficulty (currently ReDux+) to "Unsupported", and only in its description explain it like "I'm not responsible for this; any harder ReDux difficulty I balance will be a separate patch". I''ve found the stream you meant, and yeaaaaaah, I think it's better I don't watch it in full as I know how the lack of WTA (and in parituclar of Dark Magic's aura) will have affected their impressions of it. Shame, but it really is kinda your fault for putting that description of ReDux+ in the first place.

Edited by Mr. Mister

10 hours ago, Dunal said:

Someone pointed out that the Black Knight can get 2 or 3RKOed in 1-E(?) as opposed to 5 or 6RKO due to how enemies scale (combination of factors such as now having enough AS to double him, higher base ATK, Alondite not having WTA against anima or 'Aura' not working etc...). It's no secret that Tier 2 enemies have very high growths (but scale slowly throughout the game in base level -- for EXP purposes particularly in part 3) but HM/R+ with its hidden levels messes with that quite a bit.

This might explain the guy who came into my stream yesterday and said almost the exact same thing claiming the hack was not balanced and terrible. I did not know he was playing on hard mode or I would have clarified to him that hard mode is not intended to be playable yet. Def putting something in the description would help for sure. 

This is how I've change it so far:

image.png.07e0bf707fdf653407a5cb0737f41f27.png

I might as well keep it in-game but this should detract people from assuming that the hack is balanced for it. For what it's worth, standard 'ReDux' is now a 4-star difficulty if comparing to the original game.

I've also updated the FAQ in the OP (should have done so a long time ago). Is there anything I should add to this that would be worth mentioning?

Edited by Dunal

I really do recommend you change the difficulty's name itself to "Unsupported", and add to the description that the description with "Weapon Triangles, through which things like Dark Aura are accomplished, are hardcodedly disabled" to the description, so people know why it is unsupported/unbalanced in a mechanics-breaking way, and know why it's a bad idea to even try it for bragging rights.

As for what to add to the FAQ, maybe add somewhere that "WTA/D between magic types/subtypes is tripled". And you could add an additional spoiler tab with a table/image listing which stats each laguz type keeps untransformed (and new transformed/untransformed skills, such as cats' Canto and doggos' Steal).

Edited by Mr. Mister

Hah, I also got someone in my stream saying the hack was imbalanced and the BK could get 2-rounded in 1E, I have yet to field BK in 1E so I had no idea they were referring to hard mode, I just told them to be more careful and try to keep BK away from mages lol, he should still be a pretty good physical tank regardless. I'll be streaming some more tomorrow for those who care :p

I will say replaying this reminded me of how unintuitive Chapter 1's enemy AI is, about half the units don't move and there's really no indication as to which ones those are, and the turn limit only makes things worse, I've mostly nothing but praise for the rest of the hack but this is kind-of a sticking point for me.

Edited by Renigade
Typo

Aren't the only unmoving ch1 units the boss, his aide, and the one soldier near the door? They are all unmoving because they are blocking your way to the escape tiles, and in particular in vanilla the soldier is instead blocking the house.

11 hours ago, LaurentLacroix said:

We can't read the changes you did anymore. Could you reupload the pictures?

Going to be updating them for the next release (and they'll be a lot more info in general). 

3 minutes ago, Renigade said:

Hah, I also got someone in my stream saying the hack was imbalanced and the BK could get 2-rounded in 1E, I have yet to field BK in 1E so I had no idea they were referring to to hard mode, I just told them to be more careful and try to keep BK away from mages lol, he should still be a pretty good physical tank regardless. I'll be streaming some more tomorrow for those who care :p

The BK got a slight buff in the next update but yeah he's still your overall best unit for 1-E regardless. 'Hard mode' kinda screws with that however. I think the concern was that he wouldn't scale for the remainder of the game but he gets stronger with every re-appearance. The BK fight at the end of the game isn't as easy as the original.

5 minutes ago, Renigade said:

I will say replaying this reminded me of how unintuitive Chapter 1's enemy AI is, about half the units don't move and there's really no indication as to which ones those are, and the turn limit only makes things worse, I've mostly nothing but praise for the rest of the hack but this is kind-of a sticking point for me.

That's a legitimate complaint. Definitely will be addressing that going forward including for later maps not yet released.

I wish I could set move to 0 for individual enemies like in other games (probably is possible to implement but...). Instead, something a lot more subtle like 'Even level = Immobile' & 'Odd level = mobile' could work. I could then add extra dialogue (maybe in one of the houses in 1-1) to explain this (something like "Enemy soldiers assigned an even number will stand their ground, while those who are not are commanded to assault and capture you. Be careful!" that doesn't break the fourth wall... kinda). It's a little clunky perhaps but it gets the job done.

The thing with different AI to even-levelend and odd-leveled enemies sounds nifty, though personally I don't think RD, even in your ReDux, really needs to convery to the player if enemies do move a priori. It's rather safe to always assume enemies will move, unless they are specifically guarding very strategic tiles/passages. In 1-1 specifically, the midl confusion arises because the immovable enemies are moved from their vanilla positions: originally the boss and his lackey were each on an Escape tile, when in ReDux they are are not (but still blocking access to them), and the javelin soldier was in the Visit tile, while now he is to the left of it (to block passage towards the objective instead (also forcing you to use two units instead of just Nolan to block the enemies coming from behind him). Note that I agree with the repositionings and them remaining unmoving.

Regarding 1-1 - Dunal, you considered making the first wave of reinforcements (the two dudes coming from the escape tiles) arrive one turn sooner, as I told you? I feel that even mildly decent players manage to complete this chapter (and the escape-with-everyone BEXP bonus requirement) the turn before they arrive.

15 minutes ago, Renigade said:

But... I haven't manged to complete it the turn before they arrive...

I'm gonna go sob in the corner now...

What’s your twitch username? I’d like to go see your run.i (EDIT: fond your youtube channel, but no RD in there.)

Did you perchance send Leo to fetch the seraph robe, lik ein vanilla? Here it is actually more advantageous to send Eddie for it, and use Leo to counter the Fire mage on tunr one, IIRC.

Edited by Mr. Mister

33 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

What’s your twitch username? I’d like to go see your run.i (EDIT: fond your youtube channel, but no RD in there.)

Did you perchance send Leo to fetch the seraph robe, lik ein vanilla? Here it is actually more advantageous to send Eddie for it, and use Leo to counter the Fire mage on tunr one, IIRC.

You're not seeing Radiant Dawn cause I have all my live streams unlisted, you can find them in my Live Stream Playlist, Once I've done more RDR l'll probably make a separate playlist just for that as well.

Actually in my first playthough way back when I sent Leo but this time I tried sending Eddie... it didn't turn out very well, might've been a result of poor positioning though, don't remember exactly.

17 hours ago, Dunal said:

The BK got a slight buff in the next update but yeah he's still your overall best unit for 1-E regardless. 'Hard mode' kinda screws with that however. I think the concern was that he wouldn't scale for the remainder of the game but he gets stronger with every re-appearance. The BK fight at the end of the game isn't as easy as the original.

I assume you're making it so you can't cheese the fight with a Hammer like you can in the base game, right?

1 hour ago, Elite Lord Sigma said:

I assume you're making it so you can't cheese the fight with a Hammer like you can in the base game, right?

While the black knight in parts 1 to 3 (and maybe the part 4 desert xhapter too, I don't remember) and the one in 5-2 are different units in the game's data, their class (Black Knight) is the same, so if the endgame bk is made non-armored for effectice damage purposes, the the part 1 blackie wouldn't be susceptible to the hammers I'm sure Dunal has placed strategicaly in 1-E.

18 minutes ago, Renigade said:

You could give the BK a skill/item that nullifies effective damage, I know those exist in the game, or at least they do in other FE games.

There is no such thing in RD. There were items that did that in PoR, but consider that there were more effective weapons there, like longsword and poleaxes, the anti-laguz line, and that wyverns were vulnerable to bows and wind.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

There is no such thing in RD. There were items that did that in PoR, but consider that there were more effective weapons there, like longsword and poleaxes, the anti-laguz line, and that wyverns were vulnerable to bows and wind.

Nullify is literally a skill which does this - negates effective damage against user.

46 minutes ago, Rengor1997 said:

Nullify is literally a skill which does this - negates effective damage against user.

Okay, I messed up really bad there... yeah, Adding nullify to the endgame version of bk sounds good, though the effective hammer could be argued is a failsafe for insufficiently strong ike.

Tangentially related thought: Was the barrier in E-2 just one-tile thick? Of so, will Blessing get through it? And speaking of blessing, have you checked if you changing its range, which was shared with contact staves’, to 2 also changed Boon’s?

I've considered just removing the BK's weakness to certain weapons completely (no matter when he appears). The anti-armor weapons in 1-E were only really added to check Meg specifically (lowers her priority to be deployed given her performance in 1-8 and most of part 3). And the cleave bow in 1-9 used to be the blight bow (to give Micaiah another WTA target) before it was changed. I'm fine with the BK being really strong when you have him so long as he doesn't cheese the map (as in, you still have to play half decently when using him) but no matter what, you can't give him Celerity (for efficiency) or Nullify for that matter either (and him taking kill EXP mattering more than in the original) so removing weakness would be fine I'd say.

As for the endgame fight with him, the hammer is arguably worse than the Ragnell since even if Ike has 12 more ATK (as it stands) with the hammer he no longer doubles. So the lack of enemy phase with the Hammer makes it a bit weaker overall.

Meanwhile, don't be surprised if Volug is the next unit to be Laura'd. Turns out blossom + stat boosters makes him pretty insane in part 3 (which wouldn't be so bad if his gauge or SS weapon wasn't so good as well). It'll probably just result in the second energy drop being removed -- he's perfectly fine for standard usage so I otherwise wouldn't change him much (at least as part 1 is concerned). Just a bit of context for the next release if he does receive changes. 

Otherwise, I've seen that some people believe Ilyana needs a buff (as the most notable unit in need of one perhaps) but anyone who's played early builds of part 3 can unanimously agree that it isn't needed so... holding off on that. Also, I think a lot of people really underrate her in part 1 -- provoke strats in 1-5 and bolting snipes (and just being able to solo areas like the trio of dracos in 1-6-2) etc... Fair to say I think every unit is in a good place for part 1 (at least as of the next update) but feel free to discuss that if needed. Some units are going to be better for efficiency runs / LTC (like Jill vs. Meg) but that's to be expected (cue someone feeding her with every Ashera Icon / Talisman / Boots + Celerity and proving me wrong).

11 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Tangentially related thought: Was the barrier in E-2 just one-tile thick? Of so, will Blessing get through it? And speaking of blessing, have you checked if you changing its range, which was shared with contact staves’, to 2 also changed Boon’s?

Doesn't work through the barrier. I've thought of changing restore (and Boon) to 1-2 range in the past but decided against it. Tested some part 3 maps with that but positioning with Oscar (innate Boon) to counter statuses became a bit too simple as a result (what with Canto as well).