Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ronlynYour units turned out pretty close to what's intended (by part 2 end) in terms of investment. Yeah Haar is still really good no doubt. No longer doubles but his STR/SKL has some extra levels to grow to make up for it a bit. Thunder magic is actually threatening to him now as well. I may reduce his DEF further which helps Brom's stand out a bit more. Don't think Brom needs a buff though -- if anything I think Neph/Brom/Haar/Heather might be a little too good in part 3 considering EXP in part 2 and general nerfs to the stronger GMs (Titania/Ike etc...). But since they need prior investment in Part 2 I'm sure its fine. Balance isn't intended to be perfect anyway (it just needs changing enough so that difficulty of the game is more-or-less consistent enough when use/deploying different units throughout the game. I mean, I'm sure that Haar will still be better than Lyre overall in this hack, but that's fine just so the gap isn't so huge).

For the Laguz, Mordy was already good/decent in the original game so his power shift shouldn't really affect that. Overall a buff if you consider gauge changes and WEXP etc...

Lethe could use a further change though (A bit more base STR should be enough + I can make her S rank a bit faster). Nealuchi isn't really supposed to be a Jeigan either, it's just that his availability is bad post part 2 so his stats and WEXP gain are higher to compensate that (same as ReDux). I think he should be fine (if BEXPed to ~20 in 4-P or something).

On 09/11/2018 at 9:29 PM, Carreau Diamond said:

May I ask what Stefan will be like, if anything's decided? With him joining so late and being one of the most common classes in the game it's hard to imagine a niche for him other than being a backup Trueblade, but I've been surprised by this hack's creativity before. Very curious.

Stefan has near capped HP/DEF/SKL at base with STR/SPD being good as well (middle ground between Edward's focus in STR and Zihark's SPD). So for 1 range combat, he's great. Although he barely has any MAG/RES/LCK so he essentially has no 2-range combat (Edward's isn't great either but still occasionally useful).

Edward's overall the strictly better unit if you can patch up his SPD, since his stats are passable to great everywhere else (and Caladbolg lets him tank) but obviously requires the investment. ZIhark/Mia both have good 2-range especially the latter.

Lucia's balanced all-around and can use any sword as a Wyrmslayer. She has the best potential for 4-E (even just because Alondite!Lucia in 4-E-3) but will need the investment earlier in part 4.

14 hours ago, Rengor1997 said:

So how's the patch up to 3-2 going?

Still undergoing testing currently, particularly with the various difficulty modes. To confirm, there's now a difficulty mode in-between 'Casual' and 'Standard' mode ('Novice'). 'Casual' is really meant to just be a sandbox-y mode to go wild and have complete freedom to break the game if you want to (skills won't cost anything, gold is near infinite, supports skip straight to A freely etc...). 'Standard' is still fairly challenging, just more forgiving than 'Intermediate' for blind runs. I think there's room for a difficulty between those (for a player who wants an easier/smooth run, similar to a normal mode in most official FE games, but still forces the player to play by the game's rules unlike 'Casual').

Personal deadline for the release is by the end of the year. I haven't been able to invest too much time into this recently due to work, but I'll at least have a couple weeks later on to make sure everything is ready before then.

Also, as much as I've appreciated the feedback/criticisms regarding 'Elites'... I can't really afford to make experimental changes/additions to a singular available difficulty mode. Clearly something to avoid from now on. 'Elites' and enemy skills will be absent in every mode but 'Intermediate' (used to test benchmarks for difficulty/balance) until the full release.

Edited by Dunal

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to play this patch on Dolphin, but the game always ends up with a black screen and error. I looked all over this thread but apparently the solutions are given in PMS. Can someone provide me with the solution? and also the solution to the 1-2 I keep hearing about?

On 12/15/2018 at 7:48 PM, Mr.Mostache said:

I'm trying to play this patch on Dolphin, but the game always ends up with a black screen and error. I looked all over this thread but apparently the solutions are given in PMS. Can someone provide me with the solution? and also the solution to the 1-2 I keep hearing about?

Right click your game on dolphin, properties/options, and disable NMM emulation or something like that - search in this thread for "Dolphin" until you find a post of mine explaining this.

23 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Right click your game on dolphin, properties/options, and disable NMM emulation or something like that - search in this thread for "Dolphin" until you find a post of mine explaining this.

Thanks, I got help from Dunal on the matter. However now I have a different problem, I'm at 1-7, and using a promotion item. When the game fades to black to the promotion screen, the game crashes with the same errors that I had before "Invalid read". I tried your suggestion, but it didn't seem to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm only speaking for myself, but if you made changes to normal mode only and it was complete, I would be okay with that. I'm just getting the impression that between work, life, and work on the rebalance on top of this might be a bit too much.  

I agree. The normal mode was a bit difficult for me, but I got through it. Radiant Dawn has been one of my favorite FE games since I first played it, and this hack did a good job of making me very eager to play through the rest of it. I'd hate to see it not be completed because it tried to do too much.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, two things: one of the ISOs I have for the game don't work with any patch. The other one (the one I'm playing now), has a problem in a few chapters, where it crashes the game before loading the map. I can circumvent this by opening the unpatched ISO and loading the map there, then saving the game with the map loaded and open it on the patched version, but this means all the units on the map have their HP lowered and the enemy placement and weapons they hold are all unpatched (I even have some mages holding C rank tomes they can't use with their D rank skills on 1-7 because of this).

Second, let's talk skills: I haven't played too much of the patch yet, but I've seen you're doing a pretty fine job mixing and matching skills and giving more availability to them. Leo having Disarm, Fiona with that mega Blessing and Meg with Butcher are my favorites! Inherit skills like Canto and Shove not taking any Capacity are great additions too - they shouldn't even be skills in the first place, IS should have made them Class Skills, like FE9, where they exist outside the Capacity field. However, I believe we can do better here:

-Vantage: In the Japanese version, IS did a very stupid thing - they removed the 100% activation rate for Resolve, Wrath and Vantage, making those skills unreliable and, in some cases, a liability, since you're taking up space that be used by another skill that activates 100% of the time or doesn't need to put your character in harm's way to be useful, not to mention removing them from character that come equipped would do no good, since reattaching them would take up room in the Capacity wheel. The Western releases made Resolve and Wrath back to guarantee activation under 30% HP, but Vantage still got a Speed% activation rate. If it were me, I'd put Vantage back to 100%.

-Nihil and Mastery Skills: Nihil is a very, very stupid skill. You are basically required to have it to defeat the last boss, but the lack of enemies possessing combat-related skills in this game made it a pretty useless skill to have for the majority of the campaign, until it was suddenly required without prior warning. Even worse, the characters that have said skill were likely left behind, and now you have to take on the damage from Ashera's aura.

However, I understand why the developers came up with said skill. Mastery Skills are basically a OHKO, multiplying strength by 5, lowering defenses to 0 and teabagging the enemy after it dies in one hit. Here's the problem, though - Mastery Skills should have never been that powerful! In FE9, Mastery Skills are a disappointment because they take up too much room in the Capacity wheel and most of them (Astra, Rend, Colossus, Deadeye, etc) are useless when compared to the Skills combination you can take. Wrath + Resolve will ALWAYS be more effective than Astra or Colossus. In order to make the mastery Skills more valuable, they cranked them up to eleven and locked them to 3rd tier, but when they realized they went too far, they gave every Endgame boss a Nihil, so every single skill you have is useless - this on the game that expanded upon the skill system from its predecessor. So, how would I fix it? Simple:

• -Mastery Skills should be nerfed down, close to what FE9 did;
  • -Nihil should nullify either combat-related skills (like Adept or Vantage) or Mastery Skills

My reasoning for this is simple: in FE9, using a Mastery Skill meant choosing one character over another to have it, plus sacrificing all the space you had for two or more skills. With Mastery Skills being kinda disappointing (Save a few, like Sol, Aether and Lethality), you'd want to stay away from them. But in RD, Mastery Skills are locked to your character upon 2nd promotion, so you don't have a choice BUT to have them, so making them so powerful goes counter to their availability. You either make them OP but rare, or available to everyone but far more manageable. I'm taking the later route.

When it comes down to Nihil, my reasoning is that we already have a skill that negates every other skill in the game - Parity. And Parity does a much better job at it, since it needs to be activated by command and only work on the Player's Turn, giving you more control over the battle, but also negates your own bonuses. Nihil can negate everything on the enemy's side, but doesn't bring any negative effects to your side, making it too one-sided. If we nerf the Mastery Skills, Nihil can focus only on one set of skills to nullify while letting the unity suffer/benefit from everything else that affects combat, like support, terrain, etc.

Here's how I would have done the Mastery Skills:

Savage Savage Increases Strength by 25% and halves enemy’s Skill for one turn (Skill/2)% Wolf 0
Rend Rend Increases Strength by 25% and prevents enemy from moving for one turn (Speed/2)% Cat 0
Roar Roar Increases Strength by 25% and halves Enemy Movement (Strength/2)% Tiger, Lion 0
Ire Ire Reduces enemy's Defense/Resistance to 0 (Skill/2)% Red Dragon, White Dragon, Black Dragon 0
Aether Aether Attacks twice consecutively, with the first hit having a Sol effect and the second hit having a Luna effect  (Skill/2)% Vanguard 0
Astra Astra Attacks five times consecutively at half power (Skill/2)% Trueblade 0
Impale Impale Lowers Enemy Defense/Resistance by half (Skill/2)% Sentinel 0
Luna Luna Negates enemy’s Defense [but not Resistance] (Skill/2)% Marshall 0
Eclipse Eclipse Negates enemy’s Defense and Resistance (Skill/2)% Black Knight 0
Sol Sol User recovers HP equal to damage done to enemy (Skill/2)% Silver Knight, Gold Knight, Valkyrie 0
Flare Flare Negates Resistance and user recovers HP equal to damage done to enemy (Skill/2)% Archsage, Empress, Summoner 0
Corona Corona Negates Resistance and halves enemy’s Accuracy for one turn (Skill/2)% Saint, Light Priestess, Chancellor 0
Bane Bane

Reduces enemy’s HP to 1 [Doesn’t work on certain enemies/Doesn't activate if the hit would have killed the enemy]

(Skill/2)% Whisper 0
Lethality Lethality Instantly KOs enemy [Doesn’t work on certain enemies] (Skill/2)% Assassin 0
Stun Stun Increases Damage by 25% and prevents enemy from moving for one turn (Skill/2)% Seraph Knight, Dragonlord, Queen 0
Deadeye Deadeye 100% accuracy when activated, sends enemy to sleep for 1 turn (Skill/2)% Marksman 0
Colossus Colossus Increases Strength by 50% (Strength/2)% Reaver 0
Tear Tear Increases Strength by 25% and halves enemy’s Speed for one turn (Speed/2)% Hawk, Raven 0

I feel like this would bring a much better balance to the overall game. No 3rd tier class would feel overpowered, Nihil and Mantle could play an important part in combat without making the Skill system null, Aurora could still be a threat without Nihil and/or Parity, and your character customization would still play a major role during combat. Personally, I would make Nihil negate non-Mastery Skills, but I guess it would take a lot of testing to see which style would fit better.

That's it for my contributions to this project, hope it helps amount to something. Have in mind that I'm still in Ch. 1-7, haven't fully explored the patch yet, but I feel like these changes would make both the base game and this patch much more interesting to play.

Alright, let me throw in a new suggestion: get rid of Biorhythm! I have always thought this mechanic was useless in 9 and too intrusive in 10, but your patch made it more obnoxious. I don't think there is a way to fix Biorhythm, if done well enough, it doesn't affect much of the game, but if done wrong it can ruin your whole turn, if not several. You start your turn able to hit and dodge fairly easily, but the more the unit fights the worst they start performing to the point of units with high enough skill not being able to land a single hit while taking everything the enemy throws at them. It didn't bother me too much until the swamp level, but having to juggle between the super fast Ravens and Cats, rescuing the hostages and minding the survival of my own units proved how obnoxious the mechanic can be. It's a variable that changes too often to work with or around, especially so early on. Biorhythm needs to die!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's time for an Ashera prayer circle, everyone.

We believe in you, Dunal! We hope you would like to keep working on this. And if not, maybe someone else may. And we still have at least have the current patch for Part 1 as a sort of, mini-Path of Radiance just for Micaiah's story. It's an amazing project. Thank you for it.

• 2 weeks later...