Jump to content
Dunal

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Recommended Posts

On 10/02/2017 at 7:31 AM, xatzimi said:

This sounds interesting. I actually found this because I was hoping someone would make a hack to add back the extended hard-mode epilogue that was cut from the non-Japanese releases. I've seen very little hack work done on ISOs, so if you have the capability to do so, I was hoping you might give this a look (or share one that someone has done already?)

Would be possible, but based on file sizes this requires that the initial jap files be re-done in terms of translation. Furthermore, I believe that quality over quantity is better in this, in that I am planning to re-do the script/dialogue. Micaiah is a prominent example of that.

1 hour ago, Skri43 said:

Hello!  I just made an account partly because I'm interested in playing this hack.  While I'm not well-versed in the series or its math (RD is the only one I've played) the work you've done on this looks promising!

I'd just like to ask something:  What's the rationale behind keeping the gauges of Tiger Laguz the same in function as vanilla, given the overhaul to other laguz?  They honestly seem a bit nerfed in gauge compared to vanilla, as many gain a good deal less in battle while untransformed and the only buff in this regard is to Mordecai's gauge per turn.  Reductions are almost exactly like vanilla too; Muarim only loses 1 less per turn and the only one with a significant change is Kyza, losing much less per battle but a bit more per turn almost to compensate.

Let me say again that I don't claim to be particularly learned in the math of this game.  However, given the overhaul to the rest of the game the relative lack of change to the Tigers (which as far as I'm aware are the most mediocre player Laguz) was somewhat odd to me.

Tigers are vanilla, in the same way that light magic is vanilla. The old Laguz gauge is completely fine, adjustments aside. The others were simply changed for the sake of variety. Tigers lose gauge steadily regardless of how you use them, while cats lose gauge massively if they do not enter combat. But the opposite if they do consistently. That doesn't necessarily make tigers worse, since it depends on the circumstance. If a tiger doesn't enter combat for 1 turn, they're much better off than a cat. And since cats are squishier, then entering combat too many times may be a risk. Lyre's gauge is the potential best in the entire game, but when she's at worst biorhythm she suddenly can't rely on her avoid and therefore be targeted on enemy phase. Although she does have canto to hit and run -- she still loses 25+% of gauge. Or 50% without fighting at all.

Of course, their gauges are weighed against their other stats/attributes on the back of testing. Mordecai has the worst gauge of the three, but he has the highest availability and is extremely solid as an easy-to-use tank. Kyza is worse off when they both join in part 3 with having Arthur levels of LCK, so a better gauge (and high self healing) offsets this to a degree.

Edited by DLuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any update on when we can get a new patch and what it would contain? Sorry dont mean to rush you but excited to play this and been a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flare9 said:

Any update on when we can get a new patch and what it would contain? Sorry dont mean to rush you but excited to play this and been a while

Hopefully very soon. My hope is that as soon as I release the next patch, following releases will be weekly. But I need to make sure I'm in a position to make that possible. The core of the game needs to be 100% complete. And the maps I do release need to be polished. Currently I'm working on 1-8 some more.

As a heads up, I've decided that Nailah is no longer going to be playable in part 1. So she'll be reworked to appear first in part 4 (or technically 3-13). That makes her easier to balance, and makes it so she doesn't take up a unit slot in the couple maps she would otherwise be playable in. In 1-8 for instance, only Micaiah/Sothe/Volug/Rafiel are forced and all units start at the centre. Accurate to say that this is one of the most changed maps. The objective should actually be challenging now and it's Laguz-oriented (feral Dragons included that are essentially bosses).

You'll see feral Laguz pop up more often in general actually. CH3-3 is another good example. Yet another buff to mages I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goddamit Izuka, I told you not to brining your pet dragons as a rearguard to attack the castle, that even with their help we probably wouldn't be finished before it's dinnertime for them.

 

Is that gonna be the lore reason for dragons being there? Izuka having "captured" some of the feral survivors from the events of PoR, and wanting to use them in battle, at which point things go wrong? If so it'd be awesome if they were player-controlled for a turn, and the start of the chapter's battle being a bit after the (unseen) start of the battle per se.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Goddamit Izuka, I told you not to brining your pet dragons as a rearguard to attack the castle, that even with their help we probably wouldn't be finished before it's dinnertime for them.

 

Is that gonna be the lore reason for dragons being there? Izuka having "captured" some of the feral survivors from the events of PoR, and wanting to use them in battle, at which point things go wrong? If so it'd be awesome if they were player-controlled for a turn, and the start of the chapter's battle being a bit after the (unseen) start of the battle per se.

Reason behind it is that since the events of PoR, Izuka has sold a lot of the Feral Laguz for Slavery/combat to Begnion in order to grant Pelleas the resources and power he needs. This is why he has none when he is with the Daein Army.

He even outright shamelessly admits this after 1-8 (since Muarim's episode outright reveals what Izuka is capable of). This time around, Izuka is still fighting for Daein and instead now deserts Pelleas because of the signing of the pact as opposed to leading him to do it. This makes Izuka more of a grey character -- he's still immoral due to the Laguz, but is legitimately fighting for Daein until Pelleas effs up.

Edited by DLuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I take it then that the confrontation against him in part 4 is now not due to him fighting for Begnion, but a legitimate chance encounter that ends up in battle due to present and past grudges? Something like the apocalypsis finally pushing him over the edge and turning him into the mad ruler of the ferals, degending the sovereignity of his kingdom from the intruders on his glorious palace of mud?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2017 at 7:54 AM, DLuna said:

Reason behind it is that since the events of PoR, Izuka has sold a lot of the Feral Laguz for Slavery/combat to Begnion in order to grant Pelleas the resources and power he needs. This is why he has none when he is with the Daein Army.

He even outright shamelessly admits this after 1-8 (since Muarim's episode outright reveals what Izuka is capable of). This time around, Izuka is still fighting for Daein and instead now deserts Pelleas because of the signing of the pact as opposed to leading him to do it. This makes Izuka more of a grey character -- he's still immoral due to the Laguz, but is legitimately fighting for Daein until Pelleas effs up.

Interesting, now Izuka will work in a different way; I like the idea so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MidoriPuru said:

How much experience do herons get? Is it still 10 experience all the time? It'd be pretty nice for them to gain 20 exp at each time. 

Still 10. Bare in mind, Each Heron now start at varying levels; Rafiel being LV34 at base. He can feasibly get to level 40 to learn Recovery. 

That said, each Heron's base stats are meant to, for the most part, carry them throughout the whole game, and are not based on level. Leanne's level is far lower than Rafiel but her bases are comparable. With efficient play, only MAG or SPD/LCK (avoid) is valuable however for someone like Leanne; DEF/RES/HP for Rafiel (since he is a viable tank when transformed) and STR/SKL (skills) for Reyson.

As such, level is only relevant for Galdr types, which they are balanced for. Rafiel has the biggest selection and Leanne the least. But in terms of stats, movement and laguz gauge, they are balanced around this. Leanne has fantastic healing (2-range) with high MAG and the highest movement, for instance. 

Also, since Biorhythm is a bigger factor, and healing is nerfed overall, the non-vigor chants can be super useful. Even using Sorrow with Rafiel can prove very useful, since it's -50 AVO on enemies in 'best'. And 'Valor' is relevant on the Laguz royals now, which Rafiel has at base and what Reyson can viably learn by endgame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to see this project is still going. As much as I liked Radiant Dawn, I always felt it was rather unpolished and hoped for an official remake... but that doesn't seem likely, so I hope you'll be able to accomplish all your goals with this hack.

I'm interested to see that you'll be changing the story, too. How far do you plan to go with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 8:09 PM, DLuna said:

With efficient play, only MAG or SPD/LCK (avoid) is valuable however for someone like Leanne; DEF/RES/HP for Rafiel (since he is a viable tank when transformed) and STR/SKL (skills) for Reyson.

Rafiel, a tank?  That's certainly a cool new way to go about things.  Also, what skill is Reyson getting that he wants Strength of all things as a heron?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Phoenix_Kensai said:

I'm interested to see that you'll be changing the story, too. How far do you plan to go with that?

Primarily characterisation. Micaiah's being almost completely re-written for instance. And a lot of the villains being more grey as opposed to being plain evil (exceptions possibly being Jarod, since his sheer arrogance was part of his charm?). Izuka (now legitimately cares for Pelleas and Daein) and the Senate, particularly Lekain, being a big focus of that.

Also, while the Blood Pact will still exist, hopefully it can be re-written to seem less forced. It now being a two-way contract with Pelleas being completely aware of it when it's signed. It's not completely ideal, but at least it can be improved.

And while supports cannot be expanded as it were -- there's some potential in making them a bit more flavourful.   

Part 4 could use some better writing as well.

 

17 hours ago, Skri43 said:

Rafiel, a tank?  That's certainly a cool new way to go about things.  Also, what skill is Reyson getting that he wants Strength of all things as a heron?

Reyson has huge STR/SKL; 34 and 40 at base respectively (that's fixed in each state like HP/LCK) and has Maelstrom innately. He's also good with Pavise as a result. Both stats cap at 50.

It could be considered a gimmick more than anything, but does give him something unique.

Edited by DLuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DLuna said:

And while supports cannot be expanded as it were -- there's some potential in making them a bit more flavourful.

They definitely need some desperate polishment, but since data expanding is a hard thing and I wasn't expecting to hear something like this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're gonna try to make Lekain be grey instead of evilly self-centered? Good luck with that. I can see how in parts 4-5 he might follow the goddess' orders out of a sincere belief that her will is divinely right, but before that?

In fact, trying to make the what's-his-name regent of Daein more grey will only make Jarod blacker, and vice-versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

You're gonna try to make Lekain be grey instead of evilly self-centered? Good luck with that. I can see how in parts 4-5 he might follow the goddess' orders out of a sincere belief that her will is divinely right, but before that?

In fact, trying to make the what's-his-name regent of Daein more grey will only make Jarod blacker, and vice-versa.

Lekain shall be re-written to be completely self aware of what Lehran is trying to accomplish. He understands that he himself is a pawn to 'reset' the entire world. As such, while he has his regrets, will fulfil his duty in doing "what must be done". He is an extension to Lehran, not an evil underling. Yet, his own conscious understanding in his role will leave him conflicted. More so than Lehran himself. He is a tragic character who has the intelligence to completely comprehend what is to be done. But is ultimately powerless to stop it.

Jarod however is left as a pawn who is engulfed in his own 'hype'. The Senate knows that he is the perfect tool to perform the deeds that he ends up doing. And as such, is left as the appropriate set up for part 1. Neither Lekain or the rest of the Senate is happy with letting Jarod freely orchestrate disaster. But whatever is necessary... must be done.

 

I'm fine with Jarod being 'one-dimensional' or 'black' because it lends to him being the 'tool' he is completely unaware of. 

Let's face it, the dude kills his own soldiers and innocent civilians. He was no-where near 'grey' to begin with.

Edited by DLuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I didn't think of making Lekain into Lehran's secret club. Color me interested, specially in that the rest of the senate do not know (otherwise Zelgius and Valoure's moment would make no sense).

 

Have you considered making Jarod actually escape from the BK on his own without Micaiha being vanilla Micaiha?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/3/2017 at 7:35 PM, DLuna said:

Lekain shall be re-written to be completely self aware of what Lehran is trying to accomplish. He understands that he himself is a pawn to 'reset' the entire world. As such, while he has his regrets, will fulfil his duty in doing "what must be done". He is an extension to Lehran, not an evil underling. Yet, his own conscious understanding in his role will leave him conflicted. More so than Lehran himself. He is a tragic character who has the intelligence to completely comprehend what is to be done. But is ultimately powerless to stop it.

Jarod however is left as a pawn who is engulfed in his own 'hype'. The Senate knows that he is the perfect tool to perform the deeds that he ends up doing. And as such, is left as the appropriate set up for part 1. Neither Lekain or the rest of the Senate is happy with letting Jarod freely orchestrate disaster. But whatever is necessary... must be done.

 

I'm fine with Jarod being 'one-dimensional' or 'black' because it lends to him being the 'tool' he is completely unaware of. 

Let's face it, the dude kills his own soldiers and innocent civilians. He was no-where near 'grey' to begin with.

This is... interesting, I don't know what to think, but I think I need to see it when is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you were planning on eventually making a randomiser that pseudo-randomised bargains and some enemy units/inventory/placements, but from what you've learnt giving silver knights staves, what would be the limitations on making a randomiser for the player characters' classes? Even if we were to randomise classes within the same kind of traction (horse, pegasus, etc.) would it be outright impossible with semi-proper animations enabled, since the fact that you couldn't get silver knights to use Mist's horserider staff animation means that animations are tied to each specific model?

 

On another note, do you know if the file structure for weapons is similar enough to PoR's as to, say, put Gurgurant in RD? It's about the least known-about legendary weapon in Fire Emblem, both in origin and fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2017 at 11:49 AM, Mr. Mister said:

I know you were planning on eventually making a randomiser that pseudo-randomised bargains and some enemy units/inventory/placements, but from what you've learnt giving silver knights staves, what would be the limitations on making a randomiser for the player characters' classes? Even if we were to randomise classes within the same kind of traction (horse, pegasus, etc.) would it be outright impossible with semi-proper animations enabled, since the fact that you couldn't get silver knights to use Mist's horserider staff animation means that animations are tied to each specific model?

This is definitely possible, but would make units have generic models. I experimented with random recruitment a while back and Calill, replacing Micaiah, was just a generic fire mage.

Quote

On another note, do you know if the file structure for weapons is similar enough to PoR's as to, say, put Gurgurant in RD? It's about the least known-about legendary weapon in Fire Emblem, both in origin and fate.

I can replace a weapon but would take a lot of work to add one. And the non-wrath critical property doesn't exist in RD. Otherwise it would be functionally the same as Ragnell/Alondite. Almost. So it doesn't really occupy a unique design space.

You also already have two SS swords to distribute while other weapons only have one.

Edited by DLuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 5:09 PM, DLuna said:

Still 10. Bare in mind, Each Heron now start at varying levels; Rafiel being LV34 at base. He can feasibly get to level 40 to learn Recovery. 

That said, each Heron's base stats are meant to, for the most part, carry them throughout the whole game, and are not based on level. Leanne's level is far lower than Rafiel but her bases are comparable. With efficient play, only MAG or SPD/LCK (avoid) is valuable however for someone like Leanne; DEF/RES/HP for Rafiel (since he is a viable tank when transformed) and STR/SKL (skills) for Reyson.

As such, level is only relevant for Galdr types, which they are balanced for. Rafiel has the biggest selection and Leanne the least. But in terms of stats, movement and laguz gauge, they are balanced around this. Leanne has fantastic healing (2-range) with high MAG and the highest movement, for instance. 

Also, since Biorhythm is a bigger factor, and healing is nerfed overall, the non-vigor chants can be super useful. Even using Sorrow with Rafiel can prove very useful, since it's -50 AVO on enemies in 'best'. And 'Valor' is relevant on the Laguz royals now, which Rafiel has at base and what Reyson can viably learn by endgame.

That's great to hear! This sounds like the most usefulness for a refresher unit has ever been. Can't wait to test the game out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I heard that you were rewriting the story, I'm curious to see how you'll handle the Blood Contract.  My biggest complaints about that is we never learn who created the Blood Contract in the first place and for what purpose the Blood Contract was created for in the first place.  I can't see any one country make it since why would anyone make a contract that could be broken by their sudden death?  Especially the Begnion senators as they will do anything to save their asses.  Also the situation with the Kilvas Ravens in OG Radiant Dawn doesn't make sense as for what reason would a Laguz royal make a deal with beorc all those years ago, ESPECIALLY the Begnion senators.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, XIII Hearts said:

Since I heard that you were rewriting the story, I'm curious to see how you'll handle the Blood Contract.  My biggest complaints about that is we never learn who created the Blood Contract in the first place and for what purpose the Blood Contract was created for in the first place.  I can't see any one country make it since why would anyone make a contract that could be broken by their sudden death?  Especially the Begnion senators as they will do anything to save their asses.  Also the situation with the Kilvas Ravens in OG Radiant Dawn doesn't make sense as for what reason would a Laguz royal make a deal with beorc all those years ago, ESPECIALLY the Begnion senators.?

Conceptually, a 'blood pact' would seemingly be an effective tool in keeping promises/obligations; much like a contract that cannot be broken. If I were to write a purpose/origin for its creation I can see it being related to the dragon tribe centuries ago in order to encourage peace. Hence why Goldoa completely abstains from fighting -- it's ingrained into them from aeons ago when many nations were tied to a contract.

That said, from RD's story perspective it does feel forced as a plot gimmick to initiate the war. Unfortunately there isn't much else you can do to change the context entirely without also changing the plot/characters to a huge degree. 

Instead, its execution can be improved by making the pact more beneficial/logical from Daein/Pelleas' perspective. I think one of the reasons it feels as forced as it does is precisely because it's essentially a massive blunder with no benefit to Daein itself. Therefore making the war feel so incredibly forced.

As such, if Pelleas signed the contract under full knowledge/agreement of what it entails (in order to retrieve huge resources from Begnion or other benefits to prevent Daein slowly dying regardless) then the whole situation has some necessity to it rather than it being a massive mistake/error (and therefore just making Pelleas look like a complete idiot). Lekain is also obligated by the contract to provide massive resources as a result (and this is incorporated into gameplay as well - the gold spike for the DB in part 3 can practically carry you until endgame; granted there are a lot more things to spend gold on now).

Kilvas can be contracted for much the same reason. Begnion has huge wealth and Kilvas is an incredibly poor nation, hence giving more context to Naesala as a character and why there's so much piracy/crime from that nation.

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...