Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see if I can easily make a patch for PAL.

As for Herons, I can just adjust their base levels to the point where the Laguz gauge Galdr is reasonable to acquire. Heck, Rafiel could start with it and could possibly start level 32-34 so that the best one (blessing) is obtainable. I don't consider any of them 'OP' considering the default Galdr is arguably the best one if you're trying to play efficiently.

After all, for Herons, level is just a number otherwise. EXP is fixed. So I can just increase them if need be (stats can stay the same because there really doesn't need to be a correlation).

I'm fine with Leanne not being able to reasonably get the later Galdrs though since she is balanced to have incredible movement and Laguz gauge. Reyson is currently set to have a maximum 2 turns of being transformed and Rafiel has bad movement.

EDIT: Also for what it's worth, Leanne also has the highest magic stat which either increases her healing or damage with cards. Very rarely will you feel the need to use up her turn for the latter but sometimes it can be useful. She should be able to feasibly reach 15 > 30 magic which is 48 MT with the daemon card. =p

Edited by DLuna

Here is a much smaller patch for the 'FERD' ISO. Updating the OP as well. The default patch is also updated.

I've done this because some people were having an issue patching with the larger patch which was simply based off of another kind of ISO.

Therefore I have individually edited the files for this one, resulting in a much smaller patch.

CHANGELOG Part 1 1.2

------------
PART 1 UNITS
------------
- Edward, Leonardo, Aran, Meg, Jill and Fiona have all had their base level and stats increased slightly.
- Meg's DEF growth increased by 5%.
- Nolan's SPD and SKL have increased by 1
- Ilyana's HP and DEF has been increased by 1. SKL increased by 2.
- Micaiah's DEF has been increased by 1 and growth increased by 5%.
- Laura's DEF and RES have been increased by 1.
---------
Biorhythm
---------
All units now gain +5% hit when in 'normal' status.
Hit bonuses and reductions have reverted back to the original game.
Avoid penalties have increased further in Bad or Worst.

By the way, I'm currently looking for feedback on the Laguz. I know most people don't care for them much but that's the entire reason I'm trying to change that. Volug is a good basis for feedback since he is the definitive middle ground between bases and growths (for the time he joins). The main questions to ask would be:
1) Are his base stats too good or weak?
2) Does his EXP rate justify his growths?
3) Is his strike EXP too fast or slow?
4) Do you think he could use tweaks to his weapon (such as more MT in favor of hit?)
And also for in general:
5) Do you agree with the changes to the Laguz gauges? What further ideas do you have for them?
Of course, some questions like the last might be too early to judge.
Thing about Volug is that he is a rather central unit in the original game so he does have a big effect on how some maps can be played out.
EDIT: Also going to be going back to the part 1 maps and looking for some room for improvement in some of the positioning/layout of units and classes. Anything in particular that should be addressed?
Additionally, even though prologue to chapter 3 isn't meant to be overly difficult, perhaps with the changes to Edward/Leo especially, it may be worth looking into adjusting those in particular.
Edited by DLuna

Here's some feedback based on a single playthrough before the most recent patch:

-Sothe, Volug, Micaiah, Nolan, Jill, and Ilyana all felt about right. Volug is great and rewards training, Sothe being dependent on Micaiah fits his character and the early Bolting tome is fun as hell.

-Edward is somewhere between "best tier 1 unit" and genuinely overpowered. He's the only one who can consistently double, gets whatever he needs to help his offense (from an early energy drop to a freaking Brave Sword) and has no issue with caps at all. If I was testing for ways to break the game, the first thing I'd try is feeding everything to Edward for an early promotion.

-Leonardo is bad and outclassed by everyone. Major "early game archer" syndrome. Like even by your listed averages he's bad and I think those are optimistic.

-Meg is fine, but her movement becomes a problem by 1-6. She was good again in endgame with Bexp->Master Seal->Celerity but I feel I could just as easily have benched her to save the resources. Maybe just give her +1 move?

-Fiona is exactly like you said- still horribly positioned, but now strong enough to be usable anyway. This is fine, but I would personally prefer if she had a bit more availability. If you just made her actually recruited in 1-6-2 that would fix everything.

-I loved using Vika, but if Tormod and co still leave until part 4 then what's the point? Idk, these characters are probably unfixable.

-Aside from character balance, the Biorhythm changes are huge and stand out above anything else in the hack. I liked how they lessen power differentials between units and keep the player on their toes, but disliked how chaotic they can be. Planning ahead based on enemy biorhythm is often impractical given the current interface, and the system leads to a lot of fe6-esque hitrates. The 1.2 revisions may help this somewhat.

-Difficulty was fine overall, but if your goal is for this to be a "harder than hard mode" hack then it could stand to be a bit tougher. Just making every unit able to survive a round of combat makes the game significantly easier than vanilla.

-All in all, a very well executed hack! Sorry if this came off as overly critical, I do think it's well done overall.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

The 1.2 changes I think should be enough for Leo, Meg and Fiona stat wise. Leo might need a little more help but I'd like to see what others think. If it means giving him a brave bow or something then so be it. And so long as Fiona is perfectly usable in the maps she's in then that's fine. It would be really difficult to make her a pc in 1-6-2 considering that the event that changes her is linked to all the npcs as well. Adding a separate event for that would take forever to get working, unfortunately.

What I could do for Meg/Armor knights is actually just outright remove movement penalties for thickets. That should give them a movement niche for say, 1-6 and 1-8. Possibly marsh too. The logic I suppose works in that they are so used to moving clunky that through their strength, the terrain shouldn't obstruct them.

Tormod and co. should be usable assuming that Vika/Muarim are used in part 1 and Tormod is promoted and gains ridiculous promotion bonuses (which I think suits his desire to 'grow'). Vika/Muarim should be useful in part 4 by BEXP alone since they won't just proc HP/Luck all the time. And if used in part 1 will just have amazing bases for their level.

Perhaps you are right with Edward. The problem with him is that he's reliant on doubling but when he does, coupled with high str/def/hp, makes his offence amazing while not being too bad defensively either. Although, without favouritism I don't find him particularly amazing. The intention was/is to make him more of a mercenary (to separate him more from other swordies) so perhaps I need to push him more in that direction in that he's less reliant on doubling but will do so less often.

I think I could do with replacing the Brave Sword with a bow at least. That pushes Edward/Leo to more where they should be.

Biorhythm indeed has been tweaked further. The intention is to just really lower avoid rates overall but still let the player reliably avoid on certain units at higher Biorhythm. I have definitely scaled back on the hit rate penalties however -- and made it even easier to hit if the enemy has lower Biorhythm.

As for difficulty, part 1 is meant to be the easiest part so while I'll make some adjustments I'd want to keep it that way. I do think 1-6 or 1-E are especially at the level I'd want them to be though. Although I do plan to rework 1-E a bit.

Part 2 is generally much harder. Killing Ludveck is going to take some work.

EDIT: I was hoping that the (buffed) longbows that exist would give Leo an extra niche (such as attaching magi with no counter). Do you feel this is not the case?

Also, you didn't mention Aran or Zihark. Thoughts on those?

Edited by DLuna

As noted in the FAQ, ppf-o-matic should be fine. Do try both patches and make sure to always keep a backup of the original ISO in order to re-patch.

Yeah, I tried the b patch first and it messed up my iso, thankfully I still had the WinZip file for it. Then tried the a patch and am currently playing it, and the changes are active. Will give feedback once I've successfully done Part 1.

By the way, in the latest patch, there's an error where the Iron Axe is notably better than it should be (was likely caused by having identical stats to a specific Laguz weapon). I'll be releasing a fix for that later today along with some further tweaks to units.

Also, resuming a save file after patching should result in any unit changes being automatically applied. So if I were to increase Micaiah's magic by 1, it'll be reflected when you resume playing. This doesn't occur for promotion bonuses however.

That's a neat aspect compared to GBA hacks, at least. So any changes I make to units in the future shouldn't undermine your save file too much. This does give me more freedom to make moderate changes on occasion.

Looking at Edward I've decided to nerf his promotion bonuses for the time being, as well as a couple of minor adjustments. Some further changes to other units too. I shall update the OP for that shortly.

I'm also looking into some moderate adjustments to terrain, being far more favourable towards armor knights and actually giving them some movement niches (less movement cost in sand and water compared to other foot units, no penalty in brushes, and here's the kicker... No penalty when climbing ledges!).

Oh and horses can cross water now. Good for them.

Edited by DLuna

By the way, in the latest patch, there's an error where the Iron Axe is notably better than it should be (was likely caused by having identical stats to a specific Laguz weapon). I'll be releasing a fix for that later today along with some further tweaks to units.

Also, resuming a save file after patching should result in any unit changes being automatically applied. So if I were to increase Micaiah's magic by 1, it'll be reflected when you resume playing. This doesn't occur for promotion bonuses however.

That's a neat aspect compared to GBA hacks, at least. So any changes I make to units in the future shouldn't undermine your save file too much. This does give me more freedom to make moderate changes on occasion.

Looking at Edward I've decided to nerf his promotion bonuses for the time being, as well as a couple of minor adjustments. Some further changes to other units too. I shall update the OP for that shortly.

Yeah, I noticed the Iron Axe thing - it's only 1 less MT than Steel, and yet has +15 Hit and -2 Weight, which is a bit op. Currently on 1-5, and some things so far:

• Micaiah having a Speed stat is pretty awesome.
  • At first I was skeptical about Leo coming with a Blue Gem, but I ended up needing the money since the bargains are very good so far. Nice change.
  • Nolan having an Iron Axe from the start is cool, if not slightly op.
  • Thank you a lot for Laura's level buff and using Staffs (or at least the heal staff) giving more exp. It makes it a lot easier to train Laura (as it was virtually impossible without extreme bexp/favouritism in regular FE10), and I feel like giving the heal staff only 20 uses is a nice tradeoff for it.
  • The Blossom is interesting, to say the least.
  • I love the added stealables. I've also used quite a few Disarm + Steal combos to make enemies useless.
  • I like the addition of the Iron Longbow in 1-2, it produced quite a few strats in the upcoming chapters.
  • As I was typing this I realised I forgot to steal Smite from the 1-2 boss. ._.
  • Ilyana's nerf is interesting, and probably for the better.

RFEE01-2_zpsn9dnym2c.png

• I got some amazingly blessed level ups.

RFEE01-3_zpsfbsyelki.pngRFEE01-5_zpscvnyw3co.png

RFEE01-4_zps8hi0dask.png

• Buyable Bolting is very interesting.
  • I'm noticing some pretty insanely high Luck caps (reminds me of FE9).

Also, just an idea, I feel like it would be cool if Bond supports had either more use or a buff. They seem like a very half-done mechanic in the regular FE10, and it would be cool if maybe some more were added (mainly for the DB, for example Eddie-Leo, Nolan-Eddie/Leo, Laura-Aran), or they were given a slight buff, not to the point where they're basically Killer weapons, but maybe so it's like +5 for all Bond supports. It would definitely be an interesting change, and could open way to new strategies.

Ilyana isn't really nerfed at all. Her base level went down but her bases are overall better and and she gains more EXP from being lower. Also Bolting.

Note the +4 base defence especially. =p

Oh and Aran is indeed a boring guy, with boring stats and a completely flat Biorhythm. I think it suits him a lot.

Also...

Patch 1.3a

Patch 1.3b

CHANGELOG Part 1 1.3

------------
PART 1 UNITS
------------
- Adjusted further across the board. Please see the unit data in the OP for more information.
- Myrmidon > Swordmaster promotion bonuses have been adjusted.
-------
TERRAIN
-------
- Healhedges now restore 20% of HP per turn.
- Horses are now able to go through rivers (with a 4 movement penalty).
- Armor knights have the following changes:
Now have no movement penalty when moving through hedges.
Much lower penalties through river and sand.
No movement penalty when climbing ledges.
- Mages now have a lower movement penalty when climbing ledges.
-----
SHOPS
-----
- The Steellongbow has switched avaliability with the Silver Knife

Next patch will have map/difficulty tweaks.

Once again, feel free to patch and resume playing as normal.

I'm now updating the OP for the unit changes.

EDIT: Done!

Edited by DLuna

Haven't had the chance to play yet (I'm directly waiting for the smaller patch for parts 1&2), but speaking about bonds: How'bout moving the two laguz bandits' bosses (Pain and Agony I think) so that they can take advantage of their (already existent) bond support?

I don't know how to feel about Armors not having the standardmovement penalty on ledges... armors bulldozing through bushes unimpeded and light-clothed mages climbing faster (better not to think why not thieves too), sure. Armors with less penalty through water... well, if it's shallow enough so horses can cross, then ok. But the armored climbers just seems a bit silly, balance aside.

Did you apply the same changes to the Black Knight? I recall him being a separate class regarding terrain movement cost too.

Edited by Mr. Mister

Haven't had the chance to play yet (I'm directly waiting for the smaller patch for parts 1&2), but speaking about bonds: How'bout moving the two laguz bandits' bosses (Pain and Agony I think) so that they can take advantage of their (already existent) bond support?

I've already released smaller patches. And I've also sent you a PM a while ago.

For bonds I can take a look at changes.

For Pain/Agony I think that would be a good idea for 'Maniac mode'.

I don't know how to feel about Armors not having the standardmovement penalty on ledges... armors bulldozing through bushes unimpeded and light-clothed mages climbing faster (better not to think why not thieves too), sure. Armors with less penalty through water... well, if it's shallow enough so horses can cross, then ok. But the armored climbers just seems a bit silly, balance aside.

It's really not that crazy in practice -- simply based on the context of where ledges in the game. Is Meg now too good for being able to easily climb in 1-5 and 1-E? I really really doubt it.

Otherwise I just look at it that armors just have enough training and strength in order to do so. Meg can lift a Cow... apparently. May be a tad silly but it's completely fair as far as balance goes. I like niches like this.

Black Knight indeed has separate movement costs and his is a bit different. He has a 2 cost penalty for ledges for instance.

Edited by DLuna

Slight bug report: Resolve skill description says it activates with under 20%, yet it's activated at 14/37 for Sothe for me which is like, 37%. I don't know if you fixed this in the 1.3 Patch since I haven't updated yet, but just a heads up if you haven't.

Also, Horseslayer!Aran in 1-6-2 is godly. Volug is also becoming amazing, and my Thani!Micaiah oneshots the 1-6-2 boss, even without her +3 Attack Sothe support bonus. Fiona has noticably recieved an awesome buff and she might even - get this - be usable for Endgame if I train her. I've been using the Ward staff a lot more than I ever did in regular FE10, and Laura is also levelling up way more because of that. I'm at the point where half of my units are almost ready to promote: Edward is one off his Str and Def caps, Laura is one off her Mag cap, Leo has capped Def and is almost at his Str, Skl and Spd caps and Jill has capped Str.

Overall, I'm liking it a lot so far, keep it up! :D

edit: Also holy frick, +5 Def for Leo x Eddie A? O.O

Edited by Vapo

Also holy frick, +5 Def for Leo x Eddie A? O.O

Water affinity is pretty amazing I'll admit. Not quite as broken as earth in the original game but still very good.

Double water is +6 DEF/RES and I imagine in the case of something like Brom/Mist it makes Brom ludicrously tanky. Which I think is fine since I plan to have more enemy magic users later in the game (relative to physical). And during mid/late part 3 expect to have all enemies in the 40-45 atk territory. They'll still 4RKO even someone like Brom with maxed supports if he gets doubled (likely the case TBH).

And yeah, Leo/Eddie makes Eddie rather durable.

Honestly, thinking about it, Water affinity makes Leo a better unit than you'd think. So while I did buff him a bit more recently I think he's fine otherwise. He's a great support unit and will no doubt be good in part 3.

By the way, the reason why tier 1 caps are as low as they are is to promote er... promoting everyone at around level ~15. It almost completely deters the player from low-manning in conjunction with great promo bonuses. You get 10 master seals in total which is more than enough to promote everyone should you collect most of them.

Considering that the entire dawn brigade is forced in Part 3 it makes sense to do things this way. Oh and Ilyana should be able to catch a break with the GM.

Edited by DLuna

The resolve thing is a translation issue, as it does indeed acticate at 20% in the japaneese version. In NTSC-U and PAL it activates at 50%.

Oh, it might be that I've never noticed it before because this is my first NTSC playthrough of FE10, because I don't recall it being like that in the PAL version.

Anyway, I hit 1-E:

Units I ended up taking under my wing:

RFEE01-15_zpsjfn3h1vn.png

Micaiah has been consistent throughout the part in the fact that she's a great chipper. This is especially helped by her +3 Atk Sothe support. She can easily OHKO knights and horse units, and even doubled for a period of time. The added Blossom helped her stat growths a lot, and was worth the lack of cexp. 8/10

RFEE01-16_zpsl9nos1b6.png

Sothe has been able to just be short of ORKOing pretty much the whole Part, which is awesome for feeding kills to units who won't be horrible in the long run. He's also been useful for generic thief utility like stealing (especially with the added stealables, and Leo's Disarm skill). 7/10

RFEE01-9_zpsetsagpmy.png

Edward has been a great help to the team, especially with his buffed starting Strength. He's been consistently doubling the entire time which is something few other of my units have been able to do. He can also be a semi-tank with his A support with Leo, giving him +5 Defense. He took Zihark's Adept which should be a great help in Part 3. Better than regular Edward. 9/10

RFEE01-10_zpssrxfxkh9.png

Leo is, surprisingly, my tank. He gets +5 Def from Eddie, he can negate attacks with the Pavise and his lack of counter attacking can let me feed kills to the units who aren't as overpowered as Leo is. He gained some awesome use from the added Iron Longbow from 1-2, and that was probably why I decided to use him longterm. He's been a fairly consistent doubler which is awesome, and his added Disarm skill is a lot more useful than his Cancel ever was, as it A. saves money buying weapons and B. enables kill feeding. 9.5/10

RFEE01-8_zpsesodrrw4.png

Laura was invaluable early game. She only got high enough to promote because I had a use for her every single turn due to the squishiness of Nolan and Sothe. The Ward staff was crucial to letting Sothe steal the Spirit Dust from the 1-5 boss, and she went through two heal staffs and a mend staff. Her majorly nerfed Magic will prevent me from using her as a combat unit longterm though, and isn't worth her Speed. 8/10 for her earlygame usefulness.

RFEE01-18_zpsdwpkcnrt.png

Aran in this patch is godly. Like, Haar level godly. He was the only unit who could take hits, deal them back AND not get doubled. He oneshot like half of 1-6-2 with the Horseslayer, and carried half of my team's weight in 1-3 and 1-4. He never faced issues being doubled and could actually handle fighting mages, unlike most of the rest of my team. 11/10.

RFEE01-17_zpsmg4komip.png

Out of everyone in this patch besides maybe Aran, Volug has been given the biggest buff from what I've seen. When he joined he rarely doubled and 3HKOd, but his massively increased exp gain let him soar above my meh units (Meg, Nolan, Ilyana, all of whom I ended up dropping). 8.5/10

RFEE01-12_zpsu2pux8hz.png

Jill is cool. She can reliably ORKO, and Canto back to safety. I feel like I got slightly unlucky with her Speed, but I'm pretty sure she'll cap it in Tier 2 and if not, I can lend her the 1-E Speedwing. Not much else to say. 8/10

RFEE01-13_zps4sqprvzt.png

Fiona is usable! :D Similar to Jill but replace Speed with Strength. She had to be fed kills to get the boulder rolling, but she's decent now. 7.5/10

RFEE01-11_zpsjx20u5gj.png

Ilyana is like a half unit on my team. I ditched her at 1-7 due to lack of deployment space but then promoted her just now and with Bolting she should be a decent chipper. Probably won't use her in the long run due to her mediocre Magic, though. 6/10

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed this and am looking forward to Part 2. I think I prefer this to vanilla FE10 (which if you know how much I like that is a pretty big compliment).

edit: i just looked at the 1-E map. oh god.

Edited by Vapo

Your Aran is definitely blessed (speed...) and your Ilyana is indeed rather underwhelming. But of course, everyone is going to vary. There is no way I'm buffing Ilyana more for instance -- on average she's great and will be so in part 3 (A mage with defense). It does seem like you're on the previous patch since it's impossible for Edward to have 18 STR unless you gave him the energy drop after promotion.

As for Meg, one thing to note about her is that I do think she is the best support candidate for Leonardo. His longbows become amazingly accurate and Meg gets really tanky. She also has some great promotion bonuses. She also has the best Biorhythm out of any unit. Look at her curve. She also good movement regarding terrain now.

I say this because the feedback for Meg hasn't been too great so far. But for the time being I'm going to avoid buffing her until people give her a chance since the recent changes. She has a lot going for her and also has the Promote / Bravesword / WoDuo combo available as well.

I do think that Aran could use a tweak though. The last patch pushed him a little over the top. Bumping up his base level to 10 and capping his speed at 14 should be enough.

Nolan I feel is fine. His +4 strength on promotion solidifies that, I should think.

Edited by DLuna

Ilyana looks underwhelming because I promoted her at Level 10 or 11 since I rarely used her due to her effectively being an exp sinkhole for the DB. =P I'm on the new patch but was on the old patch at the time Edward promoted. Aran is only actually speed blessed by 0.15, seeing as I promoted him at 20 after a small bexp dump.

I ditched Meg because she got pretty badly level up screwed, and was doubled in 1-5 (she nearly died). Strength wasn't actually my issue with Nolan (even though he ended up gaining none in the 4 levels he got), it was his lackluster defense and hit rate. Mainly hit rate though, he was getting ~50 hit rate with a Hand Axe and worst biorhythm, which he always seemed to be at.

Just about to do 1-E since I saw the promoted enemies and have been putting it off all afternoon, will edit with feedback.

EDIT: Rescue Staff in 1-E, interesting. I'm glad I deployed Ilyana because I'll want that for the GM.

EDIT2: Finished it. That was long. And hard. But so, so satisfying to finish. Got all the treasure. No deaths in Part 1 at all - I hope I can keep this up. Rescue staff will be heading the GM's way through Ilyana. All of my units gained at least 2 levels in 1-E thanks to the enemies being promoted, with Volug getting a 7 stat level up at one point.

Edited by Vapo

Ilyana looks underwhelming because I promoted her at Level 10 or 11 since I rarely used her due to her effectively being an exp sinkhole for the DB. =P

I don't think this matters nearly as much in this hack since the GM chapters are going to be much much more difficult -- and investment in Ilyana can be well worth it.

Think of it as being similar regarding moving items to the GM. You invest EXP in a unit (likely 15/5 by the end of 1-F) who then becomes a very strong asset in the other maps she's in. There's notably going to be more dracoknights in part 3 and Soren can no longer use thunder (now uses dark instead). CH3-2 is most notable of this.

But even with those stats you have on her -- I think she should still be a worthy deploy in a few maps in part 3 -- where dracos exist. Shame you didn't get the Arcthunder tome which has 39 MT on them. =p Then again, I'm guessing she hasn't reached A rank.

Nolan having hit issues with the handaxe isn't uncommon. Pairing him with Meg or Edward is good for that I suppose.

She actually did hit A rank I believe, I know she hit B for Bolting, I gave her Discipline early on when I got Bolting.

I'm glad Dark magic is more than just a second playthrough endgame thing in this patch, it had some potential in regular FE10 but it was kind of lost, especially due to Pelleas being so bad at base. My Ilyana is like, 10/2 I believe, so I reckon she could be a decent Dracoknight bomber with Arcthunder or a forge, similar to Micaiah's Thani-bombing.

I will say I am sorry if this has been answered or been brought up before because I have not seen anything if it has, but have you re-balanced thunder magic? In vanilla Radiant Dawn, I found it's low MT and terrible hit rate very underwhelming.

Yes, Thunder has been buffed. Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder have 6/9/13 MT respectively for example.

All magic scale better though now between ranks. 'Arc' tomes have 4 more MT compared to 'El' tomes for instance (rather than 2).

Dark magic is also buffed and Available to Micaiah, Soren and Sanaki. Soren can't SS rank it though.

It's cool that they can use Dark magic now. It's presence was very lacking in vanilla RD.

Speaking of Dark magic, can you use Pelleas on the first playthrough now? Do you plan on raising his level/lowering his level or stats or anything like that?

Also, is there a way to make it so the Amiti isn't permanently locked on to Elincia and have it so that Renning can use it being that he is a Crimean noble?