Censoring CG cutscenes possible?

HeartTranquil

I don't think an M rating is likely, but a lot of it does seem to at least toe the line of what Nintendo has tended to allow into their major franchises regardless.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh while I think that entire scene is utterly unnecessary and Camilla deserves better, I don't think they'd censor it this time (it's a lot harder to do it with an animated cutscene than a still image) and I also don't trust them to do it right if they can't even get it done on a still image.

I kinda want to see if just cutting out the gratuitous focus shots on her non-facial body parts might work better (not necessarily in the final product, but more as an experiment) although that might make the scene too short.

However, Tharja's CG was a part of a DLC that was entirely meant for fanservice and doesn't have plot relevance and censoring that made no sense considering it was the entire purpose of it. Didn't even utilize 3d properly and put the curtain on another layer, though. That's just lazy.

Camilla's scene was supposed to be a personal animated cutscene right in the story, which makes the gratuitous shots really jarring and out of place. It's like okay yeah if you want some fanservice, great, the beach dlc is a great place for that, putting focused shots of her body parts without even showing her face until the end (the hug bit is alright) in a supposedly story-relevant cutscene really just... well

Camilla really deserves better, as a character. I feel bad at how the game's treating her, tbh.

Edited by Thor Odinson

D'you think the guys at Intelligent Systems just went "alright, we've got to make sure we manage to show off ALL the lewd parts"? Like, who came up with the idea, and what was the response? Maybe something along the lines of "fucking brilliant, Frank!"

They just reffered to malegaze.txt

On a serious note, whilst I think the cutscene is stupid, I don't think it should be censored or removed. If the character's just meant to be a sexy big tits sister, then you're really just working at a mountain with a toothpick to remove a cutscene that highlights her as that. The reality won't change if the cutscene goes away. A drastic rework would be needed. Sticking plaster fixes are easier for things such as the infamous "Companion" tweak, but this transcends that significantly.

Edited by Irysa

They just reffered to malegaze.txt

On a serious note, whilst I think the cutscene is stupid, I don't think it should be censored or removed. If the character's just meant to be a sexy big tits sister, then you're really just working at a mountain with a toothpick to remove a cutscene that highlights her as that. The reality won't change if the cutscene goes away. A drastic rework would be needed. Sticking plaster fixes are easier for things such as the infamous "Companion" tweak, but this transcends that significantly.

Wait...

I've got JUST the solution!

6a2.jpg

953.gif

(I didn't make these but I wish I did!)

It could be censored, it could be re-rendered, it could be cut...But I doubt that anything would happen to it really. I agree that the biggest travesty with the scene is how disjointed it is from the other siblings' cut-scenes (She rides a ZOMBIE DRAGON; how do you NOT do anything with that?!).

I don't think an M rating is likely, but a lot of it does seem to at least toe the line of what Nintendo has tended to allow into their major franchises regardless.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/mother-3-faces-some-significant-hurdles-to-be-localized-for-wii-us-vc-or-any-other-nintendo-console.454360372/

That Mother 3 wouldn't be localized because of these hurdles that we face that it would have to be rated M if it were to be localized. Some of the stuff in it is too good to be removed! Mother 1 happened. Mother 3...well.

-----

The censorship and va are why that we aren't getting this game until next year.

Edited by Princess_Florina

953.gif

I wouldn't mind paying extra if this was in the game. This is gold.

On topic: I agree with Thor, she really deserved better. I was neutral towards her but her caring side won me over. I just want to say I like Camilla and not have people think it's because of her physical appearance.

It may just be me being cynical, but I don't get the "she deserved better" argument when it seems like she was created explicitly for sex appeal and fetish fuel. Her character revolves around Kamui and little else.

The way I see it, if they wanted sex appeal, they should have just made her personality that way and be done with it. Sure, tack on the Kamui obsessed bit too and I wouldn't care too much about her if that was it. But from the support conversations that I've read, she seems like a genuinely caring person. Now, I'm not saying that a lady can't be kind and smexy but it's just that her sex appeal stands out too much imo and it overshadows her caring side.

She's a main-enough character. She deserves a real character arc and honestly, some of her supports do show sides of what she could've been if they didn't overcentralize the shit out her Kamui obsession. A character with this level of supposed importance dont' deserve to have most of their character revolve around fanservice. Really, characters shouldn't, period, but it's especially jarring to do it to a main.

You're looking at the character of what she ended up being, not what she could have been if they chose to treat her better. Honestly I feel like you look a lot of things on the surface too much and don't really get into the details. Camilla does have some decent character moments if you dig for it, and she could have been really good if you cut out like, 3/4 of that Kamui shit and let her cutscene at least focus more on her face.

Also apparently, I don't know this first hand since I don't own the game and my Japanese reading skills hovers at about 35-60% (the more kanji there is the more I can read it, that is) , but one of the people I follow who actually knows Japanese well enough and makes fairly reliable translations said that IK treated her character a bit better than in Nohr or Hoshido.

I don't know if im getting this accross properly since English really isn't my first language, but idk i tried

She's a main-enough character. She deserves a real character arc and honestly, some of her supports do show sides of what she could've been if they didn't overcentralize the shit out her Kamui obsession. A character with this level of supposed importance dont' deserve to have most of their character revolve around fanservice. Really, characters shouldn't, period, but it's especially jarring to do it to a main.

You're looking at the character of what she ended up being, not what she could have been if they chose to treat her better. Honestly I feel like you look a lot of things on the surface too much and don't really get into the details. Camilla does have some decent character moments if you dig for it, and she could have been really good if you cut out like, 3/4 of that Kamui shit and let her cutscene at least focus more on her face.

Also apparently, I don't know this first hand since I don't own the game and my Japanese reading skills hovers at about 35-60% (the more kanji there is the more I can read it, that is) , but one of the people I follow who actually knows Japanese well enough and makes fairly reliable translations said that IK treated her character a bit better than in Nohr or Hoshido.

I don't know if im getting this accross properly since English really isn't my first language, but idk i tried

Oh no, you definitely get your point across. When you put it like that, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't want one of the royals to have this many problems with her character and design, just like how I don't want all the sisters to be essentially forgotten in the main story. But like you yourself said, this is how her character ended up, and "3/4 of that Kamui shit" is in the game, and it's a problem when you have to dig around optional supports to find traces of likeability in a main character. She's hardly one of the most popular characters because of her amaing personality and depth, nor do I think that was ever intended to be the case.

Whether or not her role is improved in Invisible Kingdom is up to interpretation I believe, but this isn't the thread to discuss that. Anyway, like I said in the beginning, I agree with you and wish her character got more respect, but I also feel like that was hardly ever the point. Unfortunately, with eight siblings plus Azura, it's difficult to give them all a fair share of character development and importance in the story.

Well it's like, even if they don't have as much importance, it'd still be easy to make her a sexy character but with more autonomy over her sex appeal and more emphasis on her positive character traits, while still being visually appealing. Maybe it's just because I personally do a lot of character design and something like that would've been positively easy to do for me (I've done a few sketches of a camilla redesign that was still sexy but less blatantly so, though I couldn't quite get her anatomy right haha I need to get better at drawing people who aren't ridiculously buff, once I figure that out I'll post some or something, people liked my take on Charlotte after all)

And it's just like, I wish that pure fanservice was never the point with her in the first place. She can still be sexy and a good character. There's plenty of characters who are like that I'm not sure why they went so overboard with her. It'd also be fairly easy to make her a cutscene that still showcases her sex appeal, but not make it the sole focus of her, and also add in some badassery too. The zooming in on the body parts was just too much.

Unfortunately with the way FE is set up, it's difficult to develop characters much during the main story outside of like, the MAIN main (and even then look at how Kamui ended up RIP). There's cases in like, FE4 where some characters get a lot of character across in less than 10 lines or so, but Ayra and Levin are still more or less the exception and not the rule.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Well it's like, even if they don't have as much importance, it'd still be easy to make her a sexy character but with more autonomy over her sex appeal and more emphasis on her positive character traits, while still being visually appealing. Maybe it's just because I personally do a lot of character design and something like that would've been positively easy to do for me (I've done a few sketches of a camilla redesign that was still sexy but less blatantly so, though I couldn't quite get her anatomy right haha I need to get better at drawing people who aren't ridiculously buff, once I figure that out I'll post some or something, people liked my take on Charlotte after all)

And it's just like, I wish that pure fanservice was never the point with her in the first place. She can still be sexy and a good character. There's plenty of characters who are like that I'm not sure why they went so overboard with her. It'd also be fairly easy to make her a cutscene that still showcases her sex appeal, but not make it the sole focus of her, and also add in some badassery too. The zooming in on the body parts was just too much.

Unfortunately with the way FE is set up, it's difficult to develop characters much during the main story outside of like, the MAIN main (and even then look at how Kamui ended up RIP). There's cases in like, FE4 where some characters get a lot of character across in less than 10 lines or so, but Ayra and Levin are still more or less the exception and not the rule.

Once again, I agree with you. If she set fire on something or swung her axe while riding her wyvern, it would've been easier to digest the fan service, but nothing of the sort happened. It's completely unadulterated, and it cements her character as being there only for that reason, which lead to my earlier comment. It's a confusing choice, too, since they could've easily made a less important character much more fan service-y and instead focus on giving Camilla other traits that didn't involve Kamui.

Speaking of Mr. Haircut, I've been wondering lately if he qualifies as a full-blown Mary Sue, but once again, this is not the thread for that.

Yeah alas. She really could've been pretty cool, and me being me and read-every-support-like-5-times-to-dig-up-character-detail I still do try to like her partially precisely because I feel so bad about how little respect she got.

Or at least, I still like her more than a few characters who do actually annoy me by their sole personality alone, anyway.

Alas. So many missed opportunities. So much what could've been.

Edited by Thor Odinson

It's a confusing choice, too, since they could've easily made a less important character much more fan service-y and instead focus on giving Camilla other traits that didn't involve Kamui.

The entire point is to market it front and centre, so of course they'd want to make it prominent on an apparent main character who appears in cutscenes.

I think the point was "why fuck over her personality too when you can have sexy characters with solid personalities"

I mean the game even have that anyway, Charlotte's honestly great, so it's not like they can't do it

I mean people who are only in it for the boobs probably won't give much about her personality either way, and her being written more like a real person would not hinder their enjoyment of her, but people who like characters more for personalities can still enjoy her for a solid personality if only they gave her one, which would honestly reach to a even broader audience. She didn't have to have her personality axed to maintain sex appeal.

Sexy people are people too

Edited by Thor Odinson

I mean people who are only in it for the boobs probably won't give much about her personality either way

This goes both ways though lol. It means means they don't have to put any effort into anything else to make her a popular character, and in a game with that many characters, someone's going to get shafted.

Edited by Irysa

This goes both ways though lol. It means means they don't have to put any effort into anything else to make her a popular character, and in a game with that many characters, someone's going to get shafted.

I can understand having some characters who are just no effort pure gimmick with this size cast (coughSetsunacough) but Camilla should have gotten more effort due to her level of importance. Especially considering that she does have some pretty good character points so it's not like she doesn't have her own personality, if they literally took what she has now, and replace 3/4 of the Kamui obsession with all the actual personality she has hidden underneath that, she'd be mostly fine as a character.

I'm not even saying that she can't have an unhealthy obsession with Kamui, or at least Kamui + the rest of the younger siblings too to make it less lopsided, since it can be somewhat justified given her experiences, but like, it's to the point where it's actively detrimental to her character and that does drive her away from the crowd who like characters for their personality, when it would've been easy to appeal her to both crowds thus further boosting her popularity.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'd be willing to bet money that it would not be censored. I'm not a betting man.

1) Part of the cutscene was in the English Trailer

2)Any attempt to meaningfully censor or change the cutscene would be difficult barring removing the scene entirely or cutting out the lead-in angles. Honestly it is more trouble that it is worth.

People need to stop worrying so much about this game getting censored. At worst we will get some personality changes and revised supports. Until we see evidence otherwise I would not entertain the idea of this game being that censored.

I agree. I dont think we are getting an M rating, but a strong T is fo sho. Retooling in some stuff, sure, but come on.

EDIT: Theres still hope for Camilla's localization to be a tad better than what it is now. I hold out for it.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson