Lance Ritter, the Wall of Leonster

Taka-kun

I am not privy of all the plot details in the Geneology saga nor have I played the games, but I have read and love the plot, especially its take on, shall we say, "realism". But one thing that boggles me is how Quan's Lance Ritter managed to stave off the Thracian wyverns for years. They are not even bow knights or anything that can shoot down the wyverns and the Thracians could like just fly over without any problems. Is there any explanation in supplamental materials?

I don't recall anything in terms of supplemental material explaining the logistics, but in terms of my own personal logic, I just always assumed Leonster's ability to stave off Thracia was mostly due to superior equipment, training and good defensive strategies. The whole point of the attempt to invade the lowlands by the dragon knights is because Leonster is so much richer so I also assume that Quan and his family would have the assets to pay for mercenaries from places like Jungby where bow knights are pretty common.

The open lowlands of Leinster also make it extremly easy to spot incoming raids or invasions. The Defences of the many citys are filled with Ballistas as you can see FE5. Also it doesn't matter if you fly, to attack, the wyverns knights have to come down. A well trained spearwall of Lance Knights could easily decimate the wyverns before the close combat starts. In the FE4 Manga you can see the so called "rain of death" in which a battalion of wyvern riders throw javelins simultaneously. In the Manga Cuan is accustomed to the tactic can quickly disperse his Knights to minimize losses.

But that's enough hobby tactician from me.

Edited by Bagfisch

Because Fire Emblem's combat is a loose abstraction, jesus christ. Think outside the game mechanics. Leinster has a larger, better-trained army defending its territories. It isn't a matter of 'lance knights have lower statistics than dragon knights!', because that's a game mechanic.

Because Fire Emblem's combat is a loose abstraction, jesus christ. Think outside the game mechanics. Leinster has a larger, better-trained army defending its territories. It isn't a matter of 'lance knights have lower statistics than dragon knights!', because that's a game mechanic.

I am not arguing about stats stuffs between the classes, but lance knights doesn't seem to be a good counter against flying dragon/wyvern knights. Mage knights or bow knights would be much more intuitive, lance knights would be speared to death by the tactic mentioned by Bagfisch, since there is no way for the lance knights to counter attack. If it was a combination of the Leonster army I could understand, one FE5 sidestory did mention that they had bow knights as well. But Quan's Lance Ritter was given the name "Wall of Leonster" because they threw back every major Thracian assault.

The open lowlands of Leinster also make it extremly easy to spot incoming raids or invasions. The Defences of the many citys are filled with Ballistas as you can see FE5. Also it doesn't matter if you fly, to attack, the wyverns knights have to come down. A well trained spearwall of Lance Knights could easily decimate the wyverns before the close combat starts. In the FE4 Manga you can see the so called "rain of death" in which a battalion of wyvern riders throw javelins simultaneously. In the Manga Cuan is accustomed to the tactic can quickly disperse his Knights to minimize losses.

But that's enough hobby tactician from me.

I am going to have to assume that Quan just is that capable as a battle commander and that his knights have superior training (though I don't see how mounted units can form a spearwall). That part about open lowlands was clever though, never occured to me.

I am not privy of all the plot details in the Geneology saga nor have I played the games, but I have read and love the plot, especially its take on, shall we say, "realism". But one thing that boggles me is how Quan's Lance Ritter managed to stave off the Thracian wyverns for years. They are not even bow knights or anything that can shoot down the wyverns and the Thracians could like just fly over without any problems. Is there any explanation in supplamental materials?

Well,[spoiler=FE4] They kind of didn't

Well,[spoiler=FE4] They kind of didn't

[spoiler=FE4]Let's be fair, the desert was a huge problem for them. And Cuan states he left most of his troops back at Lenestar in case Travant attacked. So the fight might have gone differently if more of his forces were present.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=FE4]Let's be fair, the desert was a huge problem for them. And Cuan states he left most of his troops back at Lenestar in case Travant attacked. So the fight might have gone differently if more of his forces were present.

[spoiler=FE4]Not to mention Trabant's forces were supplied with lances effective against mounted soldiers. This is actually mentioned in the dialogue so it's not just a mechanics thing. They had terrain and weapon advantage, especially since Gungnir was present to counter Gae Bolg, as well as Cuan probably having to spend most of the battle protecting his wife. Up until then such a great opportunity probably hadn't presented itself and under normal circumstances the Lance Ritter probably had multiple advantages in their skirmishes.

[spoiler=FE4]Not to mention Trabant's forces were supplied with lances effective against mounted soldiers. This is actually mentioned in the dialogue so it's not just a mechanics thing. They had terrain and weapon advantage, especially since Gungnir was present to counter Gae Bolg, as well as Cuan probably having to spend most of the battle protecting his wife. Up until then such a great opportunity probably hadn't presented itself and under normal circumstances the Lance Ritter probably had multiple advantages in their skirmishes.

[spoiler=FE4]Honestly, I think Quan knew Thracia had been out for his kingdom for a while, so he shouldn't have been stupid enough to bring his wife and kid along, or at least thought of the possibility of a Thracian attack. He said it himself "I've made a grave miscalculation!"

[spoiler=FE4]Honestly, I think Quan knew Thracia had been out for his kingdom for a while, so he shouldn't have been stupid enough to bring his wife and kid along, or at least thought of the possibility of a Thracian attack. He said it himself "I've made a grave miscalculation!"

[spoiler=fe4]Well he was expecting her to turn back before they entered the desert since she had Altenna with her. Unfortunately she stuck with them. I think if she had turned back when originally agreed upon they might have stood a better chance but still ultimately have faced defeat there. But at least then Leaf might have grown up with at least one parent and Fin wouldn't be so horribly emotionally devastated.

[spoiler=fe4]Well he was expecting her to turn back before they entered the desert since she had Altenna with her. Unfortunately she stuck with them. I think if she had turned back when originally agreed upon they might have stood a better chance but still ultimately have faced defeat there. But at least then Leaf might have grown up with at least one parent and Fin wouldn't be so horribly emotionally devastated.

[spoiler=fe4]Yeah, he had the worst childhood.

Edited by Lantairu