Who should I sacrifice?

So I am finally getting around to playing and beating Shadow Dragon and prolog 4 is where I stop because I can never decide who I should send to the fort as the decoy. Who is the least useful? Everyone is at about the same level so I don't have anyone that is outstanding, I just don't want to lose anyone who ends up being good after a few level ups. So any advice as to who I would be the best off without would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

I'm one of those guys who ends up oddly blessed with Gordin each time I use him (maybe the time of day I was playing? That apparently effects the RNG).

Jagen sucks, Frey's canon, and Cain's nothing special. Really, send anybody but Abel.

Gordin is the least useful, but you don't really need Jagen, either, so it's your call. Don't send any of the cavaliers, they're all at least decent. (Though at the same time you don't really need all three of them either... ah, forget it.)

Edited by TheCosmicDude

don't sack Jagen, at least he's temporarily (= 2/3+ of the game actually) good. Gordin isn't.

Edited by Gradivus.

I always send the old man, and keep Gordin out of pity

But yeah Gordin is useless.

Alternatively you can just kill both of them (sacrifice one, then strip the other of weapons and leave him to die to Pegs) in a bid to get the Gaidens (Although I'm not sure if Decoy kill counts towards getting Gaiden Chapters)

Edited by Soapbar

I always send the old man, and keep Gordin out of pity

But yeah Gordin is useless.

Alternatively you can just kill both of them (sacrifice one, then strip the other of weapons and leave him to die to Pegs) in a bid to get the Gaidens (Although I'm not sure if Decoy kill counts towards getting Gaiden Chapters)

You just need 15 or fewer characters alive by the gaiden chapter, so killing 1 will get you as close to the gaiden as killing 2 and getting Norne

Edited by Phantom037

Not recruiting characters at all is also as good as killing them for that purpose.

You also need to kill both (or one of the better units) to get Norne, though she's not much better than Gordon.

Edited by Baldrick

Norne is less useful than any of the characters you'd sack to get her.

Not like you'd care in NM, but still

Edited by Gradivus.

Looks like the choice is between Gordin and Jeigan. I don't know I tend to not have great luck with archers and I normally am only able to get one archer to be good, but I know I won't be using Jeigan much either. I think I will wait until tomorrow to decide, I won't be playing it until the afternoon, so I will have awhile to decide. How is sending Fray cannon? I know Jeigan is one of Marth's advisers and so story wise he should live, but how is Fray any less important to the story then Gordin?

Looks like the choice is between Gordin and Jeigan. I don't know I tend to not have great luck with archers and I normally am only able to get one archer to be good, but I know I won't be using Jeigan much either. I think I will wait until tomorrow to decide, I won't be playing it until the afternoon, so I will have awhile to decide. How is sending Fray cannon? I know Jeigan is one of Marth's advisers and so story wise he should live, but how is Fray any less important to the story then Gordin?

when you play hard mode you skip the prologue and Frey isn't a part of your team.

Frey isn't actually part of the original story in FE1 or FE3.

I basically always kill him.

I'm one of those guys who ends up oddly blessed with Gordin each time I use him (maybe the time of day I was playing? That apparently effects the RNG).

Jagen sucks, Frey's canon, and Cain's nothing special. Really, send anybody but Abel.

I'm quite fond of Cain, so I'm going to mod abuse and ban you. :P:

don't sack Jagen, at least he's temporarily good. Gordin isn't.

It's Normal Mode, so Jagen stays useful for a VERY long time.

---

Sacrifice each of them (including Marth) for gallery completion. Then, use a RNG, because the game is that easy. Seriously. . .it depends. Gordin's the hardest to train, Frey/Cain/Abel all turn out good, and Jagen stays relevant for a long time. It depends on what your plans for your run are!

But I'm going to advocate Abel so that he can't betray you in FE12 :P: