Recommend me RPGs?

Caster

The Last Remnant, I am playing it. It's pretty good with refreshing gameplay and the usual Squarenix design style.

I'll echo this. . .sort of.

This is a game where YOU decide how deep the world is! However, it's not quite a traditional JRPG. It's still worth the $10 on Steam.

Definitely play Suikoden. If you like it, you'll want to look into the rest of the series as well (though I hear IV is ass, but I haven't played it yet myself).

Vagrant Story isn't a conventional RPG, and kind of hard to crack, but if you manage to do it it becomes a great minmaxing quest. It's also gorgeous, visually and aurally.

If you can endure archaic and sometimes extremely frustrating design, play Phantasy Star I, II and IV (in that order). What I said applies to the first two (since they're pretty old), but the pay-off is really great once you get to IV (which is brilliant and has none of the aforementioned issues). You might be wondering why I recommend playing it in order like that (and skipping III). It's because the games have a strong sense of continuity (that III is not a part of) and the overarching story culminates and ends in the fourth entry. It's very beautifully executed, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not (totally was for me).

If you can take some gritty and dark atmosphere and stuff, definitely go for SMT: Strange Journey. It might be the one best entry in the mainline series, if you enjoy those games. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend Digital Devil Saga (and its sequel). Just a forewarning that it doesn't have the usual demon recruitment stuff and while this might make it seem less interesting, it's actually a super good and fun game despite, and has one of the best storylines/settings in the series.

Hmmmmmm, not much else I can think of...good thing you're going through DQ already. Give Etrian Odyssey a shot if you haven't yet. Absolutely seconding all mentions of Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia and Breath of Fire (III is my personal favourite). Oh yeah! You like SRPGs, so give Brigandine a shot. It's not quite as complex and strategic as its peers, I don't think, but it's very enjoyable and has a cast of great characters regardless. I haven't played them all, but go for the SaGa series if you're okay with some mind-bendingly convoluted and enigmatic design choices. Some of them tend to be pretty enjoyable despite all that, and some of them because of all that. And I guess there's the Falcom stuff too, which I'll also second.

I think that's about it, whew.

The Legend of the Dragoon is an old campy RPG with interesting combat mechanics. It has a mediocre at best plot but the characters are pretty memorable and its fun to tinker with all the playable characters to get their addition timings down. It's kind of in the middle in difficulty, regular battles are really easy but some bosses will give you trouble, mostly the plot important ones.

If you want to start the Final Fantasy series, 4 is a great place to start and I think it has aged pretty well, especially the DS remake and its ports. I'd suggest moving to 5 (Advance) or 6 (SNES) from there as they are just slightly more complex and don't give you the feeling of being lost that 1-3 do. 9 is also amazing and is my second favorite in the series.

For action RPGs, if you're into that, Brave Fencer Musashi and Terranigma are fantastic. Brave Fencer Musashi is just a massive joy ride with one of the best dubs in a PS1 game I've ever heard and its like a standard action RPG meets Kirby. A lot of the plot is filler but it never takes itself seriously until the very end which makes it super fun to play through. Terranigma, on the other hand, has some decent gameplay for a SNES action RPG and a mediocre translation but the plot is incredible and will probably leave you thinking about it for a while.

Yes. You should rectify this. I think you'll appreciate the story!

Ahem. . .right, my recommendations ('sides Baten Kaitos, which someone else just covered). Two words: Tactics Ogre. Er, check out the series, that is. It's well worth it!

Gonna second Tactics Ogre but also give a shoutout to its mother series Ogre Battle, which is the most unique SRPG I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Also a oft overlooked gem for the PS1, Legend of Dragoon for its interesting combat system and such.

Edited by Jedi