[FE7] Typhon's Wake

Squeegee

0TmFADY.png

A long time ago, the world was ravaged by Typhon, the 100 headed dragon.

Unable to stop the wrath of Typhon, the humans prayed to Ghetys, the Sun God.

Ghetys took the form of a dragon, and battled the 100 Headed One.

Typhon was defeated, and each of his heads was scattered across the globe.

Typhon's soul still lingers across the land, polluting the minds of humanity.

The story follows Dalton, a smart, kindhearted 14 year old. Led into adventure by his fatal flaw, hubris, Dalton seeks to rid his home country, Astra, of the Rough Rhino bandits and the corrupt soldiers that it holds. But that all changes once he meets The Master...

[spoiler=Characters]

[spoiler=Playable]

Dalton: A compassionate, but overconfident boy, whose hubris tends to get him in trouble. Hates the nobility.

Dave: A gullible, but honorable cavalier who aspires to be a knight.

Alan: Dalton's best friend. An impatient mage who Dalton refers to as a "loose cannon".

Madeline: A priestess serving The Master who is ordered to serve Dalton's group.

Robin: An honorable thief who steals from nobles and distributes money to the needy.

Norm: A dutiful cavalier whose blind loyalty can only broken only by strong friendships.

Caprice: A chivalrous cavalier who values lives over traditions.

Gotham: A charioteer in service to The Master.

Ashley: A teenaged dancer with a cheery disposition.

[spoiler=Non-Playable Allies]

Isac: One thousand years ago, he led the Light Brigade to victory over the cult of Typhon as the "Shining General". He now relies on energy from the Sun God, Ghetys, to sustain his life.

Agnis: One thousand years ago, she led the bishops of the Light Brigade and established the Church of Ghetys. She now relies on energy from the Sun God, Ghetys, to sustain her life.

[spoiler=Enemies]

[spoiler=Major]

Typhon: The god of darkness, passion, desire, rage, and knowledge.

Lord Drake: The leader of New Dawn. Ferocious, cunning, and passionate.

[spoiler=Minor]

Goros: A cunning Rough Rhino who deceives Dave into working for him.

Owyne: A shaman serving New Dawn.

Mundo: An overly drunk knight who plunders villages for fun. All the champagne he drinks makes his luck stats go really high sometimes and really low other times.

Gebhart: A cocky commander of Astra's armies.

Montre: An intelligent man whose desires turned his sensibility into cunning.

[spoiler=Chapters and Screenshots][spoiler=Prologue: Bloody Axe]

Goal: Defend Village and Defeat Enemy

This chapter is where we are introduced to the main character and his sidekick, Dave. This is the only "bandit chapter" in the game.

6BQzUu1.png42p1z5C.png

mLqInTR.pngMet0n3N.png

qZRtiSG.pngZhBMQCS.png

EHVvnt9.pnghsQ2Qmh.png

8We6Xa1.pngpN3lxnk.png

V8bs4Gh.pnguWQrtjd.png

[spoiler=Chapter 1: Meeting the Master]

Goal: Defeat Enemy

This chapter is where we see the main character meet someone who will serve as a very important guide later on in the story. He also encounters the New Dawn terrorist group, the cult that he will wage a brutal war against later on. This chapter is designed to choke you from all four sides of the map. Turtle for even one turn, and you'll be smothered by bandits and New Dawn soldiers.

nu2KCFm.pngb7L8xNn.png

J4kOnrE.pngB5shRyj.png

hF9jQAu.pngIYtCKUB.png

um8k45k.pngKs7KmJf.png

8HeqQii.pngihaAj0g.png

[spoiler=Chapter 2: Cattle Rustlers]

Goal: Defeat Enemy and Protect Norm and Caprice

This is the chapter where our heroes are introduced to the true corruption in their home country firsthand, seeing off-duty soldiers plundering those that they had sworn to protect. This chapter uses weak stationary NPC cavaliers on the other end of the map as incentive not to turtle.

adNILFJ.pngG9EbX61.png

a6X7jMK.pngvvViXaW.png

ECtTdcc.png1ATWllt.png

xsUzMOI.pngrHutEQM.png

2nUx6Nl.pngVZcnBGX.png

fe2pl0N.pngEqDi07p.png

[spoiler=Chapter 3: Sun Shard]

In this chapter, we see Dalton and his forces finally reach the shrine, only to find that the Master has been kidnapped and the Sun Shard has been stolen. They join forces with The Master's apprentice, Gotham, a charioteer, to free the Master and take back the shrine and the Sun Shard that it holds.

0gUaG12.pngsaRfivn.png

C782XuN.png0pzPsJt.png

HNOaV4f.png3bj7EdB.png

Wm7li5i.pngEqiLuBP.png

woRJ1On.png2uZy5Mq.png

CMEcn1y.pnggYDerct.png

5EQcRBR.pngAlOhvEf.png

0SmHmTF.pngCG1t16B.png

uF30Gpq.pngYBoHTfm.png

[spoiler=Chapter 4: Fort Hallmark]

In this chapter, Dalton and his forces are further embroiled in the conflict between the Light Brigade and New Dawn as they siege Fort Hallmark, hoping to rescue the Master and retrieve the Sun Shard of Astra. Gotham calls upon a force of monks to help in the siege, but Dalton is convinced that putting these monks in danger is wrong, so he tries to charge to the aid of the monks before they get killed off. Will the monks die? That depends on your strategy.

8obu2ba.pngB4IcbSJ.png

woLwLAz.pngXmA0xMT.png

RtwLASm.pngHYLdzx6.png

2InQ6WY.pngjLcloyM.png

46Dka8o.png12FSIMm.png

PhErVqD.pngBRNVbKA.png

AF3NpBG.pngnzihQbD.png

[spoiler=Custom Classes]

Charioteer

Archer class on a chariot that can also hold supplies.

3ROYlSb.png

[spoiler=Non-FE7 Classes]

Halberdier

Promoted soldier. Charismatic, strong, and firm.

nzihQbD.png

[spoiler=Brand New Gameplay Features]

Deployment Dialogues + No Prep Screen

An interactive replacement for the prep screen. You get to command and deploy characters with conversations. In addition, all units are deployed, so it is necessary to make sure that all units are well-trained.

1w9TUMO.pngGTOX2hp.png

5TJXpLb.pngZdJ3xR1.png

Epilogue Movie

The epilogue will be shown in a long string of cutscenes rather than just text boxes. There will be two very different endings depending on the decision that you make at the end.

[spoiler=Special Thanks to...]

Portraits

Nick_t: 12 portraits

CobyTheKid (gift): 3 portraits

Class Cards

Arch: Halberdier class card

Animations

Mariah the Magician: Edited cleric animation

Arch: Halberdier animation

Map Sprites

Arch: Halberdier map sprite

Support, Motivation, and/or Constructive Criticism

CobyTheKid

Ghast

Agro

Pixelman

Answering Questions About Hacking

Agro

Primefusion

CT1750

The patch can be found here. It has five chapters. Make sure to leave constructive criticism!

Edited by Squeegee

oh nice! you made a thread for this, cool.

you should get on imgur and copy/paste your images on that way. so they don't come up as attachments. you should also use the 'screenshot' feature in VBA to get good quality screen shots to post.

Edited by Uncle Ghatsu!

oh nice! you made a thread for this, cool.

you should get on imgur and copy/paste your images on that way. so they don't come up as attachments. you should also use the 'screenshot' feature in VBA to get good quality screen shots to post.

Ok thanks. I'll check out the screenshot feature in a bit.

• 2 months later...

I just released a patch with the first three chapters if anyone wants to leave any criticism of it so far. Unfortunately, it took a lot of time to make these first three because I had to redo all of them (since I realized they all sucked the first time I made them), learn a lot of basics, etc. The fourth chapter (Chapter 3) is technically "playable", but not even close to completion, so I recommend that you don't do it :D.

My thoughts in a stream-of-consciousness style list:

Prologue

• Okay, I'm about 10 lines in to the game and the dialogue is already hilarious
  • There's a [0x02] for text that scrolls two lines. It's really useful for when characters change topics/conversation direction mid-dialogue. Use it.
  • Some sort of little brown text box in a corner to establish where the characters are might be helpful?
  • It's very atypical for mid-chapter talk convos to have backgrounds and admittedly it looks kind of weird. I'd recommend not using them, unless you have some sort of event trickery happening in the background that requires the use of backgrounds.
  • I like that all the characters can 2HKO the enemies in this chapter. It comes across as good, unfrustrating design, especially since there are only 3 playable units (and therefore not a lot of different approaches to the chapter)

Chapter 1

• Okay, I'm now realising that the dialogue & characterisation is extremely tongue-in-cheek and I really like that. Good job.
  • Alan died, but in his death quote, the two portraits that appear are both him. Needs to be fixed.

Someone died in chapter 2, which means it's time for me to take a short break. I'll be back with more.

I just played this a couple minutes ago, and I must say that I'm impressed

Couple errors that I noticed, though:

-Everyone but Dalton uses FE7 colors; switch him to those, because he kind of looks jarring right next to others characters, like Alan

-Dave's battle animation has only 1 color for its hair. It would be nice if you could fix that

-Dalton's class description should have a period at the end. This goes for the Astra soldiers as well

-Chapter 1 and Chapter 2's maps are both bland, have tilespam, and are way too big. Shrink them down a bit

Other than that, I hope this project go somewhere; It has a lot of potential!

Edited by Pixelman

I think this guy has a hole in his eye so there's a fixed version.GdZNcfu.png

Thanks! I'll insert him in right away.

My thoughts in a stream-of-consciousness style list:

Prologue

• Okay, I'm about 10 lines in to the game and the dialogue is already hilarious
  • There's a [0x02] for text that scrolls two lines. It's really useful for when characters change topics/conversation direction mid-dialogue. Use it.
  • Some sort of little brown text box in a corner to establish where the characters are might be helpful?
  • It's very atypical for mid-chapter talk convos to have backgrounds and admittedly it looks kind of weird. I'd recommend not using them, unless you have some sort of event trickery happening in the background that requires the use of backgrounds.
  • I like that all the characters can 2HKO the enemies in this chapter. It comes across as good, unfrustrating design, especially since there are only 3 playable units (and therefore not a lot of different approaches to the chapter)

Chapter 1

• Okay, I'm now realising that the dialogue & characterisation is extremely tongue-in-cheek and I really like that. Good job.
  • Alan died, but in his death quote, the two portraits that appear are both him. Needs to be fixed.

Someone died in chapter 2, which means it's time for me to take a short break. I'll be back with more.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll fix up the backgrounds and add a little text box in the corner in each chapter. I'll also fix Alan's death quote.

I just played this a couple minutes ago, and I must say that I'm impressed

Couple errors that I noticed, though:

-Everyone but Dalton uses FE7 colors; switch him to those, because he kind of looks jarring right next to others characters, like Alan

-Dave's battle animation has only 1 color for its hair. It would be nice if you could fix that

-Dalton's class description should have a period at the end. This goes for the Astra soldiers as well

-Chapter 1 and Chapter 2's maps are both bland, have tilespam, and are way too big. Shrink them down a bit

Other than that, I hope this project go somewhere; It has a lot of potential!

Thanks! Dalton's palette is really messed up anyway so I'll reset him back to a vanilla FE7 mercenary and palette fix him from there. I'll also add a little bit more darker blonde in the middle of Dave's hair. I'll make sure to fix up those class descriptions too.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just played through the game. You've improved a lot since I last played it (i remember the prologue you posted months ago in questions)

I recorded my playthrough with some buds and we had fun.

I'll post the video and thoughts here.

Just played through the game. You've improved a lot since I last played it (i remember the prologue you posted months ago in questions)

I recorded my playthrough with some buds and we had fun.

I'll post the video and thoughts here.

Thanks! I can't wait to see the feedback and suggestions :D!

Edited by Arjun

Thoughts: It's pretty nice for a prologue chapter. The characters are likeable enough. I didn't mention it in the video, but after rewatching I'd advise that you watch out about writing Dalton's character because right now he just seems inexplicably amazing in every possible way and his father/villagers/players don't know why.

He's 14 years old, a critical thinker and an insane warrior but no one seems to notice. Realistically, this kid is a prodigy and those kinds of people tend to be noticed. There are other points I could find for sure but making things seem less unjustifiably inconvenient for Dalton would be something you could look into.

Score: 14 cellphones out of a banana.

next chapter will be up tomorrow~

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed playing the game. I like where the sotry is headed so far. One uestion I have though is about Dave. I saw the LP on Ghast's channel and when I played it for myself he had a different mug. Should we be expecting any other face changes when the full game comes out?

Other than that, I loved Charioteer character you added, and the pregame stategy of deploying troops in vital locations! It's one thing to hack a game with a unique story, but what makes the this game a lot mor impressive are the addtional tatics you allow the player to utlize.

Keep up the good work!

Pro_Fo

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed playing the game. I like where the sotry is headed so far. One uestion I have though is about Dave. I saw the LP on Ghast's channel and when I played it for myself he had a different mug. Should we be expecting any other face changes when the full game comes out?

Other than that, I loved Charioteer character you added, and the pregame stategy of deploying troops in vital locations! It's one thing to hack a game with a unique story, but what makes the this game a lot mor impressive are the addtional tatics you allow the player to utlize.

Keep up the good work!

Pro_Fo

Thanks for the encouragement and kind thoughts! I replaced the Dave mug with the one that CobyTheKid made because it was nice for Dave, being the main character's sidekick, to have his own custom mug, but I don't plan to have any more mug replacements.

Also, I apologize for the extremely slow development lately; I've been mostly done with Chapter 5, but an extremely busy real life has been getting in the way of finishing it :\.

Edited by Arjun

• 1 year later...