[FE7] Applying patches to non fresh ROMs

Rickochet

I was wondering how I can use the character banner and character forcer patches on a ROM that I've been working on for quite some time? Apart from already testing it out and finding out that it doesn't work on non fresh ROMs.

How do I get those two "effects" onto my hack?

Do I really need to start over in order to the effects from the two patches?

Okay, so I applied both the character forcer and character banner to my ROM and then went to the offsets noted in the readme.

Am I suppose to see nothing but 00's? or am I suppose to fill in the blanks with numbers? If so, how do I format the numbers? The readme mentioned each chapter having it's own pointer and ends with 00, but thing is, currently the "table" is empty/full of zeros".

If I am suppose to fill in the table, can you guys tell me what format I'm suppose to put the chapter pointers and character reference bytes in? I'm not a programmer at all so I have trouble with more complicated hex editing.

I did back up my ROM beforehand but on a side note, there was "data" at the noted offsets before I applied the patches resulting in the NUPs saying that the format of my ROM is not proper and proceeded to patch it anyways. This won't cause any problems down the line when I'm editing like 10 chapters down the story will it? The "data" being referred to is not any data that I written to the ROM and is the default data.

I did read over that post but there were a few things I couldn't iron out so that's why I asked about the whole format thing.

The blank table that was inserted is where we would put the offsets to where I would put the character bytes right? (ie. sain_t is 0x06, oswin is 0x0b, etc)

Even if I don't start using chapter preparations until chapter 11, do I need to put these "bytes" and data for every single chapter before chapter 11 in order for the game to properly read it correctly?

One of the things that confused me was when you mentioned the order:

The position of the pointer corresponds to whatever it is in the Chapter Data Editor, mind you. So if for some crazy reason your Chapter 1 was at 0x5B, then to get to where you have to write the pointer, you can go 0x5B * 4 + DF1000 and write 00 00 DB 08 there. Of course, you don't have to put anything at DB0000, but that's just an example.

What do you mean by this?

With all this said, the two offsets for character forcers are DF1000 (offset where the table is) and 8DDD4 (where the offset's location is, should I choose to change it to another free space), if I wanted to put Sain_t and Oswin as forced characters for chapter 11,

do I go to DF1000(the currently blank table) and put 70 13 D1 08 (offset for sain_t and oswin) and then go to the offset(0xD11370) and put in 06 0B 00 (character byte for sain_t and oswin respectively and ending with the 00 for the game to stop reading for bytes) ?

Is this how I go about doing it?

Say in chapter 2 (which is the third chapter in the game) I wanted for force someone.

My table would look something like this:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 40 3F D6 08 00 00 00 00

Notice that the prologue and chapter 1 do not have entries. That's because I don't want to force anyone there. Each chapter pointer is 4 bytes long.

I'm using 0xD63F40 as the offset for my character list. At 0xD63F40 I would list the character bytes that I would want forced. Maybe something like:

3F 20 00

I'm forcing characters 0x3F and 0x20.

Agro used 0x5B just as an example. You can use pretty much any index in the Event array for any chapter (I think the prologue is the only exception). Your chapter 1 could be entry 0x40 in the array. It doesn't really matter.

Make sense?

Edited by Primefusion

So what does it mean when I get a black screen when trying to check the "Pick Units"? The music is still going and no screeching noise but the screen remains black

Every other screen works just fine and normal but I can not enter the Pick Units screen. I can continue to play the ROM if I don't enter pick units as well.

Edited by Rickochet

I managed to fix the black screen by re typing the pointers and character bytes.. I have no clue why the black screen happened in the first place but that is how I fixed it.

So thanks everyone for the assistance!

I also ran into another problem but it is related to the patches so I'll just ask here:

Is there any reason for the character banner patch to not work? It does follow the same process of telling the ROM who to ban as the forcer patch right?

Even after specifying what characters to ban/exclude from said chapter, they still appear in the character select of the preparation screen.

Edited by Rickochet