Treasure!

AnonymousSpeed

[Out of Character aspects found here.]

Prologue: Union of Strangers

One bright afternoon, a sizable vessel docked in a port in a village know as Perissa. From it departed some number of Hellene travelers, most with only a few sacks and crates with them. However, this was not the case for two in particular, a pair of young men who came off the ship with a heavily stocked wagon. Under the heat of the sun, they hook a horse up the cart and drive it to the center of the city square; A broad, sandy clearing, with wooden buildings constructed around it. People bustle through streets of packed ground and across wooden walkways, as the wagon halts in the very center of the town.

Both men stepped out from the wagon's cover. They were similar in height, and each had hair of a similar dark black. However, one was a bit taller, with a fuller face and a more confident demeanor. His companion, thinner, shorter, and more reserved, climbed from the wagon after his companion left to the ground. Wasting no time, the taller man began his proclamation with a booming voice and the delivery of a ringmaster.

“Gentlemen, ladies, hark! My name is Saban-”

“And mine Nasba!”

“We come here with an offer which has no equal to anything in our lifetimes! We two come looking for competent healers, warriors and adventures! What need have we for these people? To find the treasure of Talibo, of course! Oh, but rest assured people, this is no scam, and we are no quitters! No, we are going to find that treasure, and it’s spoils we will share with those who accompany us to find it! Now, I know many have come before and left these fine islands empty handed, but rest assured people, we have something they did not! Nasba?”

“We have a map!”

With those words, the one named Nasba raised his hand high into the air, a cylindrical contained clasped in it.

Some members of the crowd gasped; Other’s scoffed. A month ago, another Hellene, named Betram, came through, claiming to have a map as well. He neither showed it nor was asking for help though, instead boasting that he and his rude troop would find the treasure. Given that he was drunk when he said it, and hadn't said anything else about, some thought he didn't even intend to reveal that, if it wasn't simply a delusion. The group was still on the island of Thira, and known to be alive, but they’d found nothing, instead setting up camp and idling in the eastern forest.

[All participants are now free to post.]

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zaragoza stood among the crowd, watching as the two men made their bold claim.

Since his coming to the islands, he knew his best chances when it came to finding the treasure was joining a group. The men before him presented an opportunity for such, but he knew better than to jump immediatly at the call.

First I'll see if any others offer to join, he thought. After all, if it doesn't look like they're heading for a good start, it might not be in my best interest to join them.

Helena landed in a clearing in a forested area outside Perissa. She left Garen, tying him to a tree. She wandered out into the town shiftily, trying to avoid contact with others. She stopped by a local general store and picked up some new clothes and a Vulnerary. As she wandered into the square in search of a boat off the island, she heard the two merchant brothers' proclamation. She thought about it for a moment and realized that this could be her chance. Anyone else who followed could help hide and protect her with their presence and the adventure would keep her constantly moving from area to area. She jumped giddily before calming herself down. As the two ended their speech, Helena pushed her way through the crowd before she stood in front of the large wagon.

"Hey! If...uh..." She faulted as she drew the merchants' attention to herself. "If you guys need a caretaker for the animals and...and another fighter...C-Count me in!" Helenda finished her proclamation and shrunk back a bit, hoping someone else would pipe up so she wasn't the only one yelling from the crowds. Gods was this embarrassing.

:Valor was riding along in town she heard two guys talking about some treasure hidden on the island, interesting. she didn't know these island had some treasures. even if she stayed here a bit. after thinking about it for a bit after someone went up to them, she went towards them as well to speak.:

"a treasure hunt you say? to be honest, me and my Pegasus were getting a little bored just hanging around in this town, a treasure hunt sounds like a fun time, so feel free to count me and my Pegasus in."

:she finished saying as she moved aside incase any others wanted to go up to them and talk.:

Edited by Thany

After two years of training his soul and body in one of Ios temple, dedicated to Urga , a spirit of warfare and wisdom, Gareth was finally ready to be vowed a templar in Perissa's temple. It was one of the bigest temple of the archipel. The irony of the situation snatched a smile on Gareth face as Perissa was the main port of arrival for hellenes, even if it's constrasted with the shanty most natives were living it at least it proved that those same peoples were not any kind of barabarian therefore were able to build and create such a wonderful temple which outmatch or at least equal in beauty and grandeur most of hellenes monuments.

After a short pilgrimage by boat to the island of Thira, he took the main road trough a dense forest, surprised to see such vegetation when he grew in a land mainly composed of valey and plains but even if he was curious to know more about the forest, he was mostly excited to see at last the temple that his master praised so much. After a few hours of horse riding the sun cut his way out of the leafs unveilling at last the city of Perissa.

The composite agglomeration obsereved from a pitch was outstanding : The differents districts were relied by simple wood roads, The wealthy ones made of stones by hellenes full of details and sophisticated shapes were at the same time contrasting and collapsing with the the traditionnal torrinis buildings. Most of the houses were localized near the sea side and the port and then extanded in the surrounding with an amalgamation of regularity and scattering. On the tope of a little hill at the west side of the city was the temple his master described, the square structure of wooden pillar paint supporting a roftoop painted in white in some places with coupoles on each corners, some red and white flag were anouncing it's fountion.

Gareth take some moment to comtemplate this whole city, as it's the first time he such an huge village. After five minutes he decided it was time to descend in Perissa, his heart was full of hope and energy to serve the cause he dedicated his life to. The downtown was rather crowded at least for someone who didn't lived in such inhabited city. A crowd in particular was gathering around two strage hellenes who was claiming to have found a treasure, "Once again, fools that want to desacrate those lands and think that evrything they find are their property." thought the young man exaspered to see that his parents doings were still perpetuating to this day. Because he didn't wanted to waste any more time, he headed to the temple whitout losing any time.

The stairs leading to the sacred place were guarded by two men in brightly colored robes, one of emerald green and the other in yellow. Confident, Gareth dismounted from Chérubin and walked up to the guards presenting them parchment signed by his tutor. "My name is Gareth of Orcade, I was send here by my master Koru to be vowed has a templar. Could you please head me to your superior ?"

Edited by Izhuark

Temple of Urga

The man in the yellow robe greeted Gareth with a warm expression, and graciously excepted the paper from Gareth. Though he was clearly advanced in years, he seemed to be in quite good health. Carefully, he looked over the paper, and then looked up the the young arrival. "Hoh, I see," the elder chuckled, returning the parchment a moment later. "Young man, we have no superiors. We are the keepers of this place. However, we would be more than willing to meat your request."

Bowing slightly, the man in yellow directed Gareth towards the altar. It was quite old, but solid craftsmanship meant it was still holding together quite well. It was dedicated to the spirit of Urga, a rather well known spirit who had in life been the perfect warrior: Brave, wise, selfless, and skilled. It was after him that templars, heroes promised to right doing, where established. The man in green followed worlessly behind the other two.

"It's so nice to see young people applying themselves to such a noble thing," the old man continued on. "So many these days have forgotten such things." Turning towards Gareth, the elder's face grew much sterner. "What you are asking is a serious matter. Are you ready for what this entails?"

Gareth was reprimanding himself internally, look like his parent's education was still holding him in his hold habits. But it wasn't time to think of that, one of the more important moment of is life was taking place... Whitout any hesitation, he spoke up "Yes i'm ready to dedicate my soul, body and spirit to the honour of the Supreme One". He then present the javelins he made himself and the staff of healing that his tutor bestowed him. "I sworn on these weapons and my own being to seek the path of justice and benevolence until my last breath, as it's where my place is in this world." He then bow in a very disciplinate manner keeping is right arm with is weapons on his chest.

Edited by Izhuark

After hearing the announcement Gabe walked up to join the men as soon as he could. " H-hello i would very much like to come along with you i have been wanting to search for it myself for years and i hope this succeeds" after he says this he quiets walked out of the way in case anyone was walking behind him to join the hunt.

It was a grim realization, but Cedric knew it would happen eventually. His wallet grew lighter each day, taking a big hit from the trip to the Torini Islands.

I may need to settle down for a bit, find some odd jobs here or there, it would slow things but- hm? The crowd gathering at the center of town had caught his attention. Treasure hunters? It looks like they've already gathered others to accompany them too. Ah, the gods smile upon me today!

"Excuse me sirs! Saban and Nasba was it?" Cedric exclaimed as he made his way through the crowd. "Ahem, my name is Cedric, and if you have need of those willing to journey across these islands in search of fame and fortune, then I shall join you in this adventure!"

Well, looks like there are people willing to give these guys a chance, Zaragoza thought. Not bad on the numbers, and who knows who else will join. Well, make that one more at least.

Having decided, he too stepped forward from the crowd and towards the two men.

"Greetings," he said. "I would also like to offer my services for this endeavor."

Leon had been listening in on the two men who had just came on a wagon since they showed up. While at first, Leon wasn't interested, having heard about what had happened before with someone who had said something similar, and had not seen success. However, after seeing multiple people join in, he thought more on it. At last, he made his decision. Walking over towards the two men, with his horse on it's reins in his hands, he spoke.

"Greetings. I would like to join in on this endeavor of yours, as it seems promising. I am Leon."

Perissa Square

It didn't take long for a smaller crowd to assemble around the two Hellenes within the larger one of uninterested fellows passing through the square. Glancing back at his companion with a smirk, Saban then turned towards the group. His lips curled back to their enthusiastic expression, as he continued his melodramatic address. Some of them seemed a bit...unsure, but that was no issue. All Saban needed was for them to apply, their confidence wasn't particularly important at this point. "Hah! Well ladies and gentlemen, you impress me with your enthusiasm!" The man bowed slightly before continuing, speaking up so even the throng could hear him. "Whether you seek fame, fortune or adventure, rest assured, you'll have it when you travel with us!"

"Right, indeed," Nasba agreed with a nod.

"Now then," Saban again took over the role of speaking. "While more gold than you can ever spend awaits you at the end, this journey will take more than a fleeting hope to see through. So, if your desire be true, then you should all do well to show us your mettle! Tonight, just outside this very city!" In the over the top fashion he'd been keeping up, Saban spun around and pointed vaguely northward before turning his head to the others. "There, at dusk, you shall find us! And then, you will be able to display to us your merit for this quest!"

Temple of Urga

A chuckle escaped the man in yellow. "Why, young lad, it seems you are indeed familiar with what you are doing." The elder turned to the man in green, who also seemed a little impressed. "But, words alone do not make one's walk right. But, according to this document, you've shown much promise." Continuing to smile, the old man rolled up the parchment and placed it aside, while the man in green held a necklace in hand. "Thus, I entrust to you to bear a templar's burden, to seek justice in the world, and to stand for righteous ways. As you remain in the world, may you be watched over by those we cannot see, and may success be in your endeavors, as a warrior of right." As the old man spoke, his younger companion placed a beaded necklace around his neck. "Might Urga aid and guide you, young man."

A pat could be felt on Gareth's back, coming from the man in green. "Congratulations."

[Gareth recieves a Templar's Necklace!]

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

As the others left to go about their business and prepare for whatever test the brothers had planned, Helena tapped Nasba on the shoulder.

"Uh...Whatever you guys have planned...I lack the equipment to actually 'Show my Mettle.'"

Helena pointed at the fully stocked cart behind the brothers.

"I mean, yeah, sure I can fight just fine. But it'd be kind of hard to actually fight without any sort of equipment. Would you two have any extra lances and perhaps a Tome I can borrow? Some Rider armor for a Pegasus mount?"

Helena listed off her requests a bit meekly. She didn't really feel comfortable talking with the merchants. The air about them bugged her and the last thing she needed was more interaction with young merchants. However, it was necessary to get her out of the way as fast as possible, so she would put up with it, but she hoped they had some equipment to spare so her plan wouldn't be a bust.

"This is a great honor for me to receive your blessing. I cannot find words to thank you and the spirits enough for guiding me in this path." said Gareth suddenly submerged by emotions as he feel the warm touch of the owl shaped pendant around his neck. This intricate necklace was representing a little owl made of one oak piece spotted with white dot while the eyes were two shiny topaz, in her claws the owl was carying a minuscule olive bough. The sight of the pendant relieved the young templar, at last his helene past was now behind him except the old legend about knights and mythical creature wich he cherish like part of his being especially in this crucial moment ; even a newfound strength seem blazing in Gareth's eyes as if the imperials topazes ornamented in the necklet was communicating with the eyesight of the newfound knight. As he stand up quietly, his face covered by sunray, a smile appered on the face of the young man greeting once again the men who accepted him as their equal.

"Once again the words lack me to describe how i feel right now... Even if i would like to rest, I feel I should start right away the function that Urga untrusted on me. Do you know any place or people that would need my help in this town ? I would be happy to do any work even manual labor. If you don't please let me help to maintain the temple one day or two before I go back to Ios."

Edited by Izhuark

(tonight huh? there's some time left, ill just go get my equipment and rest for a bit.) :as she trots away on her pegasus. making sure not to trample anyone on the way.:

"A test huh. Well i better make sure my tome is in top shape as well as my skill." Gabe started to leave. " I also better get a few more books to read. The trip could be long." he chuckled and left the square.

Edited by gabethegreen

Perissa Square

"Hm?" Nasba glanced over his shoulder at Helena, and turned himself around to face her. "Ah, eh...I see...um...Saban?"

The other traveler had remained in place, watching as the rest of the applicants and most of the crowd headed off. No longer in the presence of an audience, he allowed himself a sigh before Nasba drew his attention. "Yes?" he asked, glancing to the latter.

"This woman here appears to be in need of some equipment," Nasba answered, pointing to her.

"Ah, I see..." Saban muttered, walking over to the two of them. "What sort of equipment?" While his shorter companion seemed more unsure, Saban's tone betrayed a little annoyance at the situation. They weren't a charity, after all, they could simply give away weapons to dream chasers.

Temple of Urga

The old broke out chuckling, nodding his head from side to side. "Worry not boy, we can take plenty good care of this place ourselves. But there's a whole village who could be aided by a zealous young man like yourself. I say to you, go into the city, and find those who need help. There are sure to be some."

"Ah... ! What a bother, Are you sure you don't anybody I could lend my help to ? Your are right nonetheless, it's part of my burden to search for anyone I could help to serve spirits and human alike by my feats." Said Gareth before parting respectfully from the temple. He looked down to the city once again before riding is horse. Once again the immensity of the "village" impressed him, he wondered how would he find anyone in need of help in such an huge place, sure there must be a lot of troubled ones but locating them was a different matter...

Exalted by his newfound function he decided there was no place to procrastinate, the only solution was no to think how to find needy person but to actively search for them ! With this new purpose the knight rode onward to the center of the city looking carefully for anyone in difficulty, he profited so of this lovely day and his roaming to enjoy a bit more the architecture of the area. After a while he got back to the main square of Perissa where a lot of people where still congregated around those so called "treasure hunters".

Trying to ignore them as much as he could Gareth looked around to see if anything was worthy of his attention.

Helena put her hands on her hips, staring at Saban with annoyance. "I could use a tome, lance, and some Pegasus armor if you have any. I'm not a fighter, but it certainly seems no one else joining you two has extensive skills in how to care for their mounts." Helena held back a bit of extra sass at the two brothers. The group that had come about also aggravated her. It was a hodge podge of foreigners each out for their own amusement. Many of them with their own animals, though from her glances they at least seemed to be cared for. However, in a group as large as this, it'd be necessary for someone skilled as a caretaker to be along to keep the creatures well attended to. "I was thinking...In return for equipment, I'd be the animal caretaker. I may not look it, but I've lived on a ranch full of horses and pegasi bred specifically for use as mounts. I know how to keep them clean and healthy. You guys won't last long without someone like me giving them check-ups." A smile crossed her lips, as if she had pushed the brothers into a corner with her logic. But she quickly erased it, realizing that her escape depending on sitting well with these two.

Zaragoza made his way back to the inn he was staying at.

I should probably only need my tome for this, he thought. Any other thing I can offer can do fine with my words alone, but it won't hurt to bring something just to be sure.

Perissa Square

"Hm..." Frowning a bit, Saban none the less heard Helena out, despite the two's attitude's immediately clashing. "You said 'Pegasus', didn't you?" the man asked with a raised eyebrow. Just as the woman's smile disappeared, a smirk appeared on Saban's face. Holding up a finger, he turned and climbed into the wagon behind him, leaving Nasba with Helena for a moment during which the former said nothing. A few seconds later, and the taller Hellene jumped out of the wagon, a older looking red book in one hand and a burgundy sack in the other. After hitting the ground and turning towards the other two, he hurled the book through the air at the woman while marching closer, forcing the bag of money on his companion.

"Nasba," he began, looking to the other man as he took the bag of coins. "If you'd be so kind as to find a smith and get this woman some armor and a lance? Done by tonight, of course. A pleasure to have your services, ma'am." With a nod, Saban turned back away from the two, and headed back to the wagon. A lance and some armor would be much cheaper than buying a pegasus, so upon hearing that, the trade became quite a bit more desirable. Provided, another interested person already had a pegasus and had shown it, but the mobility of the wing beasts would certainly be helpful.

While climbing back under the wagon's bonnet, he caught a glimpse of a man in a cape, a further glance also revealing some sort of...owl necklace on him. Must be one of those native spirit charms, he thought, retreating back inside the vehicle once more, starting on bits of paper work. Meanwhile, outside, the crowd had thinned notably, though there was still a bit of early evening hustle.

Amid the crowd, Gareth would be able to hear some mutters from the people:

"Dirty foreigners, always trampling around on our islands. Don't they have a whole continent to themselves?"

"Come on, if they actually found that treasure, think about how much money it would be worth! You could feed the city for a year with it!"

"Poor, stupid kids, chasing myths like that...*sigh*..."

"Talibo's treasure, huh? Well, they don't seem as bad at that bunch from a month ago. Still, that treasure shouldn't just belong to anyone, it's like...a part of history!"

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

"T-thanks." Helena accepted the offer for the blacksmith. As she patted the dusty old book off, she saw a fire symbol imprinted on its cover. Flipping through the pages, a lot of it was thing she'd learned to read. It would suffice, though the older terms were still a bit foreign to her. She trailed Nasba in silence for a bit, before stating: "I already have a Pegasus, I hope that was clear. There's no need to really spend that much on equipment for me. I-it'd probably be better to spend it on a full set for me and my Pegasus instead." Feeling awkward at what she assumed was a misunderstanding, Helena attempted to make an apologetic bow to Nasba, who seemed a bit uncomfortable at the whole situation.

Perissa

"...uh...well then, I suppose we go to the blacksmith," Nasba remarked as Saban left, following Helena breaking the silence. "Oh, I'm...sure Saban knows. I understood as much," he explained. "You need a lance at least though, don't you?" Despite the intention of the woman's bow, it's affect on his comfort was actually negative. "Please," he began, holding an open palm towards her, managing to sound polite none the less. "No need to be formal."

Nodding once more, the man glanced about, eyes settling on a northward street. "Well then, I believe we best head out now, then." With that, the Hellene silently lead Helena down the road in search of a metal shop. Despite not speaking, he notably relaxed as he walked, even coming to smile as he glanced about the town's buildings. A few minutes and a few turns later, a blacksmith was found in the north east of the town, tempering iron in a furnace. His place of business was separated from the streets by a counter, and hung on a wall were a few samples of his work. Written on a card on the counter was a list of his wares.

Iron Sword- 400 Gold

Iron Lance- 400 Gold

Iron Axe- 400 Gold

Iron Bow- (On Sale) 220 Gold

Other- Ask For Prices.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed