PvP Builds and Counters

Psyruby

(tl:dr if you are having trouble in PvP due to a certain build the enemy has, then come here and explain the issue, and at least I will analyze the situation and try to create the set and how to check it.)

Hello everyone,
I made this thread to discuss some of the common(and maybe even uncommon) builds present in PvP and what people can do to check them. You don't have to follow my format, but I like organizing information. If someone brings to my attention a new build or check to a build, I'll add that information to the original post so others can see.

Copycat will not be listed in the skills section, as literally any set at least WANTS Copycat.

Terminology:
Atk = Total Attack Power
Cap = Capacity
Dmg = Damage
FW = Falcon Warrior
GK = Golden Kite
Ranged = Tome/Kunai/Bow
Melee = Sword/Lance/Axe
Physical = Kunai/Bow/Sword/Lance/Axe
WRB = Weapon Rank Bonus
WTA = Weapon Triangle Advantage
BOLDED ____ = Strong ____ Ex: A bolded "skills wanted" means it is a strong skill for the build.
Underlined ___ = Important ___

Builds:
Strength & Skill Based ORKO
Character: Any, but prefers FW/GK Matoi, Rinkah, Takumi, Pieri, and any high Str Caps
Class: Any, but prefers fliers or high movement classes
Weapon: Physical Brave Weapons, Ranged Weapons that allow you to double
Skills needed: Flamboyant, Luna, Breaking Sky OR Nohr, Flamboyant with proper teammate
Skills wanted: Aggressor, Swallow Strike, Galeforce, Extravagance, Hoshido, Lethality(only Nohr set)
Checks: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle, Aegis(for ranged), Pavise(for melee), Defensive Formation(for non-brave weapons), Counter(for melee Brave weapons), Trueblade Dodge Tank, Draconic Shield

Magic & Skill Based ORKO
Character: Any, but prefers FW/GK Matoi, Rinkah, and any high Mag Caps
Weapon: Snake God, Lightning, strong tome or spell
Skills needed: Flamboyant, Luna, Ignis OR Nohr, Flamboyant with proper teammate
Skills wanted: Aggressor, Swallow Strike, Galeforce, Extravagance, Hoshido, Lethality(only Nohr set)
Checks: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle, Aegis, Defensive Formation(for non-brave weapons), Magic Counter, Trueblade Dodge Tank, Draconic Shield

Strength & Damage Based ORKO
Character: Any, but prefers FW/GK Matoi, Rinkah, Takumi, Pieri, and any high Str Caps
Weapon: Physical Brave Weapons, Ranged Weapons that allow you to double
Skills needed: Extravagance, Line of Death, Aggressor
Skills wanted: Swallow Strike, Galeforce, Prescient Victory, Weaponfaire, Raven Strike
Checks: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle, Aegis(for ranged), Pavise(for melee), Defensive Formation(for non-brave weapons), Counter(for melee Brave weapons), Trueblade Dodge Tank, Draconic Shield

Magic & Damage Based ORKO
Character: Any, but prefers FW/GK Matoi, Rinkah, and any high Mag Caps
Weapon: Snake God, Lightning, strong tome or spell, or Magic Physical Weapons(ex: Levin Sword)
Skills needed: Extravagance, Line of Death, Aggressor

Skills wanted: Swallow Strike, Galeforce, Prescient Victory, Weaponfaire, Raven Strike
Checks: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle, Aegis(for ranged), Pavise(for magic melee), Defensive Formation(for non-brave weapons), Magic Counter, Trueblade Dodge Tank, Draconic Shield

Critical Based ORKO
Character: Any, but prefers Takumi, Ryoma, Arthur, Odin, Ophelia, Charlotte, Crimson
Class: Any, but prefers Berserker, Trueblade, Sorcerer, Holy Lancer, Holy Bowman, Elite Ninja, Witch, Lodestar
Weapon: Killer Weapons, Aurgelmir, Great Club, Berka's Killer Axe, Excalibur, Odin's Black Tome
Skills needed: Ogre Strike, Galeforce
Skills wanted: Swallow Strike, Raven Strike, Roundhouse, Awakening, Aggressor, Line of Death, Extravagance, Flamboyant, Luna, Ignis, Breaking Sky, Nohr, Defensive Formation, Vantage
Checks: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle, Pavise(for melee), Aegis(for ranged), Lutz' Lucky Soul, Holy Lancers+Suisha, Beast Classes, Marth's Replica, Marth Lodestar+Divine Falchion, Trueblade Dodge Tank, Draconic Shield

Lethality Build
Character: Any, but prefers Takumi, Pieri
Weapon: Brave Weapons, Lightning, Ranged Weapons that allow you to double
Skills needed: Lethality, Flamboyant, Hoshido OR Nohr, Flamboyant, Hoshido with proper teammate
Skills wanted: Miracle, Pavise, Aegis, Swallow Strike, Raven Strike, Diamond Strike, Galeforce
Checks: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle, Defensive Formation, Trueblade Dodge Tank

Physical Tank Build
Character: Any high Def Cap but prefers Hinata, Silas, Avatar, Ignis, Benoit, Kanna
Class: Great Knight, General, Shura, Wyvern Lord
Weapon: Guard Naginata, Javelin, Siegfried, Ike's Replica Sword, Handaxe, Arthur's Manly Axe, Quick Draw Katana, Kodachi, Throwing Club, Diamond Club, Reverse Spell, Horse God, Dragonstones(any of them)
Skills needed: Defensive Formation(except for Shura and maybe Wyvern Lord), Counter, Aegis
Skills wanted: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle(on an ally), Pavise, Dragonic Shield(on an ally), Magic Counter, Strength/Magic Seal, Confined Defense, Vengeance, Sol, Aether
Checks: uh.... taking 2 rounds to kill it instead of one?, use Magic ORKO sets? (???), I'll expand this section if we ever make solid rules of what is restricted.

Magic Tank Build
Character: Any high Res Cap but prefers Avatar, Ignis, Benoit, Nyx, Hisame, Kanna
Class: General, Basara, Falcon Warrior, Elite Ninja, Nine Tailed Fox, Dread Fighter, Paladin
Weapon: Any Lance/Kunai, Guard Naginata, Javelin, Siegfried, Quick Draw Katana, Kodachi, Throwing Club, Horse God, Reverse Club, Reverse Yumi, Mirror Yumi, Magicslayer Arrow, Brunnhilde, Missiletainn, Book of Thoron, Robin's Manuscript, Guard Beaststone, Dragonstones(any of them)
Skills needed: Aegis
Skills wanted: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle(on an ally), Pavise, Dragonic Shield(on an ally), Magic Counter, Strength/Magic Seal, Confined Defense, Vengeance, Sol, Aether, Defensive Formation(for General), Counter, Tomebreaker
Checks: use Physical ORKO sets? (???), I'll expand this section if we ever make solid rules of what is restricted.

Trueblade Dodge Tank Build
Character: Any high Spd character, but Kisaragi, Avatar(with Jakob paired up), and Subaki are notable
Class: Trueblade
Weapon: Hagakure, Reverse Katana
Skills needed: Lucky Seven(NOT FOR KISARAGI), Underdog(only for Kisaragi and other children)
Skills wanted: Miracle, Kaze's Miracle(on an ally), Pavise, Dragonic Shield(on an ally), Aegis, Sol, Aether, Flowing Strike, Line of Death
Checks: Raven Strike Critical set ups, Raven Strike Swallow Strike Damage Based Set Ups, getting lucky

Edited by Psyruby

Wow, thanks. This will make teambuilding and PvP much easier. But what's ORKO?

One Round Knock Out, it's where you kill the enemy without them even having the chance to respond with a counterattack.

EDIT: Whoops, yeah GoXDS is right, I just act more concerned about ORKOs that have minimal interaction, so I figured I should post the ORKO sets that allow that.

Edited by Psyruby

One Round Knock Out, it's where you kill the enemy without them even having the chance to respond with a counterattack.

I thought it simply meant you defeat the enemy in 1 encounter (vs OHKO which is one hit). hence people use 2RKO and 3RKOs

I thought this list was quite well made and I know I will be using it, however I believe there was a lot of Matoi, when really Matoi's usefulness is completely reliant on her parent.

I think in order to fix this, you should specify the Matoi that is best here.Cause really in literally all the categories every child is viable and because of this there needs to be specifics or just not include children in the rankings at all.

I thought this list was quite well made and I know I will be using it, however I believe there was a lot of Matoi, when really Matoi's usefulness is completely reliant on her parent.

I think in order to fix this, you should specify the Matoi that is best here.Cause really in literally all the categories every child is viable and because of this there needs to be specifics or just not include children in the rankings at all.

True True, I meant specifically Falcon Warrior/Golden Kite Matoi as that allows the most ways to have lower stats, but stilll benefit from high movement to get the personal skill to activate.

EDIT: Changes made to specify Falcon Warrior and Golden Kite.

EDIT2: Basically, I was looking for Damage Up personal skills with significant increases with low entry bar conditions for most characters. Takumi has his unique Bow to be a semi flier.

Edited by Psyruby

while not totally reliable, it's definitely going to show up a few times but would Lethality builds fit into Str(/Mag) and Skill based?

I knew I forgot one, give me a bit, as I have to completely make a new build in the first post.

A suggestion for the Critical build: If you can Crit and OHKO, why not equip Defensive Formation and stop worrying about Speed mods? For example:

Orochi!Ophelia@Sorc/Witch (Sorc is potentially better in this situation due to higher defenses and not having to worry about Spd)

1/5/4/-2/1/-1/1

-Defensive Formation (S rank Ignis, S rank Knight!Kamui or Kanna, Logbook)

-Ogre Strike

-Vantage (Gives her an Enemy Phase and activates Awakening)

-Awakening

-Galeforce/Copycat

Changes Made:

1) Added Draconic Shield as a soft check to most builds.
2) Added Defensive Formation and Vantage as skills wanted for Critical build.
3) Added Lethality build.
4) Added Hoshdo and Lethality to Skill based Builds as skills wanted. (Tho Lethality is only wanted if you are doing the Nohr set)

Something I need an answer to:

Q: Can Pasive, Aegis(and by extension Draconic Shield) stop Lethality from killing you?

EDIT: Does anyone want the Trueblade Dodge Tank build on here? I have listed it as a soft check to all builds due to how many Avoid bonuses the Trueblade can get.

Edited by Psyruby

unless Pavise/Aegis reduced 1 to 0 dmg, it shouldn't prevent Lethality. it really depends on how the check works. does Lethality trigger even if the battle forecast says 0 dmg? does Lethality check dmg done after triggering or before? when does Pavise/Aegis factor?

I also find it...worrisome? saddening? that Miracle/Kaze's Personal's everywhere as a counter =P

unless Pavise/Aegis reduced 1 to 0 dmg, it shouldn't prevent Lethality. it really depends on how the check works. does Lethality trigger even if the battle forecast says 0 dmg? does Lethality check dmg done after triggering or before? when does Pavise/Aegis factor?

I also find it...worrisome? saddening? that Miracle/Kaze's Personal's everywhere as a counter =P

There just.... isn't much you can do to stop all ORKOs except have something that says "NO, BAD, take an extra round."

An extra note. I've heard many jokes that Kaze hates his child, Midoriko, due to the stat issues, but I'd say he is also the most protective father in Fates. Midoriko, with Miracle and Flamboyant in effect, paired with Kaze(in guard stance) has around an 88%~ chance of surviving a life threatening attack due to how their personal skill interact.

Edited by Psyruby

There just.... isn't much you can do to stop all ORKOs except have something that says "NO, BAD, take an extra round."

An extra note. I've heard many jokes that Kaze hates his child, Midoriko, due to the stat issues, but I'd say he is also the most protective father in Fates. Midoriko, with Miracle and Flamboyant in effect, paired with Kaze(in guard stance) has around an 87%~ chance of surviving a life threatening attack due to how their personal skill interact.

yup, there isn't much besides tactics, hence it's a bit saddening (since some of these ORKOs can be pretty consistent).

stat issues? because -Luc with Luc based personal? Lol

The only skills that can prevent Lethality from insta killing you is Miracle and Kaze's personal skills.

Also might I suggest a Tank build for those who like a bit more strategy rather then just all out offense.

yup, there isn't much besides tactics, hence it's a bit saddening (since some of these ORKOs can be pretty consistent).

stat issues? because -Luc with Luc based personal? Lol

No, Kaze doesn't give any Magic Growths, but has a -2 Str modifer. Midoriko also has low Magic Growth base(5), so she is harmed by her father's str modifer and forced to use it in the majority of situations.

EDIT: I'll work on a couple tank builds and add them to this post.

Edited by Psyruby

For the Dodgetank Trueblade...

Setsuna/Azura!Shinonome@Trueblade

-Flowing Strike (Obviously)

-Lucky 7 (An oddball skill, but hey)

-Lancebreaker (Practically mandatory)

-Kunaibreaker/Swordbreaker/Tomebreaker (whichever you are most worried about)

-LoD (If you aren't getting hit, why not?)

Marry him to Eponine, A+ Oni!Kanna, and then slap Hagakure on him for 18 Mt half the time and +20 Avoid all of the time.

Notes on changes:

1) I've made a Physical Tank build
2) I've made a Magic Tank build

Things working on:

Trueblade Dodge Tank

EDIT: Fixed mistake about Magic Tanks Characters

EDIT2: Added Kanna and Dragonstones to Tank builds

Edited by Psyruby

Supah Support Staffah Maid/Butler

-Kunaifaire (Maid/Butler's offense is a bit modest)

-Servant's Joy (Self-heal yay)

-Sun God (So you don't have to heal every turn)

-Rally Speed/Spectrum (For turns when there is nothing for them to do, really)

-Copycat (Two healers are better than one)

Other notable skills that might be useful for them are...

Draconic Shield, any Aura skill, Renewal, most any Rally, Lucky 7 if it works with Status Staves

1: How do you want to share type or damage? I mean if it's fine if i'll use 4 physical and 1 magical unit or so.
2: do you need to use healers on pvp? I already thought about my team and i wanted to use one healer to have any backup if this would be possible.
3: builds in fe:if are like w/o one "needed" skill will fail to work or something?
4: Can you use almost any damaging base class or good are acutally only those you wrote about?

1: How do you want to share type or damage? I mean if it's fine if i'll use 4 physical and 1 magical unit or so.

2: do you need to use healers on pvp? I already thought about my team and i wanted to use one healer to have any backup if this would be possible.

3: builds in fe:if are like w/o one "needed" skill will fail to work or something?

4: Can you use almost any damaging base class or good are acutally only those you wrote about?

1) 4 Physical and 1 Magic sounds right for this game. Magic Units are pretty frail overall.

2) You don't NEED healers... in fact staff users are used more for Rescue than actual healing in PvP.

3) The needed skills are just sort of recommended to the point that it would be silly not to have them, the set wouldn't function properly.

4) You can use almost any class to ORKO in this game, but because of that, the classes with higher movement have the advantage cause they can attack first more often.

1) 4 Physical and 1 Magic sounds right for this game. Magic Units are pretty frail overall.

2) You don't NEED healers... in fact staff users are used more for Rescue than actual healing in PvP.

3) The needed skills are just sort of recommended to the point that it would be silly not to have them, the set wouldn't function properly.

4) You can use almost any class to ORKO in this game, but because of that, the classes with higher movement have the advantage cause they can attack first more often.

Okay, i'll think on my own of build then, i wanted use i would say completly diffrent build for my units but we'll see if this will work when game will come to us. : P

I also thought about using Deere as that healer on pvp but if they're usefull at using rescue mainly then i think i'll get something else to use. : p

Edit: If you're even intrested i thought about using MU + Zero / Sakura (dark flier with renewal) + Marx / Deere as backup (don't know if this is good idea anymore)

Basically don't know much about skills what i would use on them, also i don't know if it's good idea to use them, i just like those characters so i wanted to make them acutally powerfull in some way, i wonder if i'll do it or i'll just fail. : P

Edited by eriotto

Most people don't put Copycat on their bruisers and Ninjas because it wastes a turn with setup and there really aren't enough skill slots. It's mostly for support units.

That's why I said it belongs in every "want" category. They would put it on if they had the slots for it, but they don't.