what they will keep in american version and what not

dheavenlymango

Zero: Elize, I decided that I'm sexually into kids, I want you to marry me.

Elize: You want me to marry you? But aren't I too young for you?

Zero: You know what they say: why put off for 10 years what you can do while she's 10?

Elize: That's a saying? That sounds awfully specific. But okay, I'll marry you

Zero: Thank you. I promise to love you until I die of old age, so I guess around the time you hit 30. Now let's make a baby.

Elize: Now? Why?

Zero: Hey, I'm not getting any younger, and I don't think you could possibly BE any younger. Makes perfect sense to me.

Elize: Not to me!

Zero: What you do you know? You're a child.

Zero and Elize achieved S-rank

omg this alone makes me want to pair Elise and Zero. Alas, she's destined for greatness to create a blonde, magical Ophelia. i pair Zero with the other psycho anyways

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Miis are based on real people infact the 3DS and WiiU encourage you to use the camera to make Miis based on a picture of a person. FE has characters who are your pawns during gameplay, they're more like game pieces.

Do I really have to explain this? Miis are meant to be cute little caricatures of anyone they represent. The 'anime chess' point became moot when most characters started having >20 in depth support conversations between each other. The entire theme of the game (the family you were born into vs the one you grew up with) forces you to think of these characters as people.

Tomodachi life sold a couple million more than what Fates will and has this same feature and is a game where the characters can be based on real people. It's a game rated 3 and up here in the UK.

The idea this is really controversial is seems extremely forced. A set few don't like it and are trying to have a field day stretching implications as far as they possibly can or outright lying. to the point I've seen claims on this forum that you can grope the breasts and vaginas of the female characters during amie.

I never play TL so I didn't know, but I don't think that TL has the mii respond to your touch by telling you how much they horny when you touch them.

I'll be honest and say that I tought that you could touch the breast of the character,I only look at the lines compilation and I didn't care about the rest.

my point was that I don't think that the game will stay the same as JP version and like I say it will depend of threehouse/EU translation team think and on the different rating system,

I never play TL so I didn't know, but I don't think that TL has the mii respond to your touch by telling you how much they horny when you touch them.

I'll be honest and say that I tought that you could touch the breast of the character,I only look at the lines compilation and I didn't care about the rest.

my point was that I don't think that the game will stay the same as JP version and like I say it will depend of threehouse/EU translation team think and on the different rating system,

If you weren't aware of other games like it and their rating and don't care about the full picture of the mechanic, that's how you can end up seeming like a Fox News broadcast about Mass Effect or a videogame journalist clickbait article. Do you really think its fair to specifically only care enough to look up the parts that can twisted into controversy while making assumptions about the rest in a way to specifically empower the argument about the parts you do know?

It's likely not going to be the same as Japan in the west but I think you're grossly exaggerating the amount of localisation the feature will need/receive.

Edited by arvilino

I won't doubt that some people are exaggerating how much will be changed in this game, but damn Fates is extremely Japanese.

Like the skinship lines where the male characters say stuff like "I won't stop if you say no lol": those ARE gonna be changed, because girls over here are not into that (girls in Japan are, judging from what I see in otome games). I think they'll tone down the animesque feeling that's all over the game to suit the American and European tastes more. Honestly, I don't think this is a problem, especially nowdays that playing the original version of games is much easier to do than in the early 2000 or the 90s, where censorship and extreme localization was much more present.

Are the outfits gonna be censored? Nope. Those were intact in Awakening.

Now, the age and maturity of certain characters, on the other hand, I really have no idea what they'll do with that.

ps: that interview with the TreeHouse guy who got fired, that had a moment where he pretty much implied some stuff is gonna be changed heavily, but I could be wrong.

If you weren't aware of other games like it and their rating and don't care about the full picture of the mechanic, that's how you can end up seeming like a Fox News broadcast about Mass Effect or a videogame journalist clickbait article. Do you really think its fair to specifically only care enough to look up the parts that can twisted into controversy while making assumptions about the rest in a way to specifically empower the argument about the parts you do know?

It's likely not going to be the same as Japan in the west but I think you're grossly exaggerating the amount of localisation the feature will need/receive.

I am aware that their is other game that does it,but this nintendo who will publish this game not compagny like NISA, XSEED... and I don't know how the company react to this type of game.

I say I didn't know about the breast, I heard a lot of people(on this forum) say you could when the game came out in JP,

I'm sorry I miss the memo when someone say you couldn't.

I say that I think there was no way there would be no change, I say that the change would probably depend of the law, for exemple in france the amie would pose no problem if every character is 18, it doesn't matter what they look like. It is one way that I think the game may change or it is also possible that the amie is cut, I think the change will depend on what threehouse thinks, so people think it need to be cut, some don't, I'm sure the staff at treehouse also have a opinion on the subject.

to me it looks like you just assumed that I tought that the game need to be censor,, I say what I think, not what I want.

Edited by exizel

I honestly think that localization will make the kids come via some sort of wibbly wobbly timey whimey shit instead of just hyperbolic time chamber. Maybe.....

I hope it happen, that they change how the kid come and that the new way allow kids for Male kamuiXzero and Female kamuiXSyalla.

I also wish that Anna will be able to marry every guy so that we can't miss any children.

Edited by exizel

I really think theres a couple of other things that need to written around. Tbh, i didnt even realize that Kamui grows up in Nohr thinking those royals are their real siblings. Because the game kinda establishes that Kamui was kidnapped pretty freaking early on. Its in the promo material ffs. I just assumed Kamui knew and so did the other siblings. Turns out only Marx is aware of this? What the living shit is that? I honestly thought it was like a Theon Greyjoy scenario where everyone knew but Kamui still has an identity crisis when the Hoshidans push for Kamui to return. Camilla not realizing Kamui isnt a blood relative but still that kind of possessive over them (to the point where shes got less than familiar feelings) does not make a lick of sense. They. Need. To. Fix. That. Its also dumpy writing.

Also making it clearer that Kamui is not blood related to Hoshidans. (at very least, to the player)

Well, there was an interview with a fired Nintendo employee, localization team member that discussed about the difference between censorship, localization, and translation.

So anyways, translation is basically a literally translating every single word of text without putting into consideration of context. Localization takes a step further by not only translating the text, but taking the context of the dialogues and story and try to fit it into the intended audience. A good example will be how the localization team handle the cousin/brother sister incest undertones (which holds more taboo in the west than in Japan). You can potentially marry Owain to Lucina, Chrom fathered Cynthia and Kjelle, but because of the unfortunate cousin incest subtext, "marrying" them in the English version gets you "Companions" instead of "Wife"/"Husband". Localization can also go to the extent to the voice acting as well. For example, the Japanese version have Nowi and Ricken with child sounding voices. In the English version, due to the fact that you can marry Nowi and Ricken with other older characters, the choice of Nowi and Ricken voice actors (Hunter MacKenzie Austin and Yuri Lowenthal respectfully) have them sound more like teenagers, as these two voice actors don't exactly have a naturally high-pitched voice. Coincidentally, it's also one of the reasons why Nintendo is hesitant of getting someone with a naturally high-pitched voice (i.e. Christine Marie Cabanos and Sandy Fox) to voice characters in the Fire Emblem games or having a woman that specializes voicing boys (i.e. Mona Marshall, and Brianne Siddall) voice actual prepubescent boys in the game (even though casting Christine Marie Cabanos and Sandy Fox in Fire Emblem Fates would be very appropriate here).

I think it'll be the same situation in regards to marrying the Avatar to the royal siblings and the same in regards to Midoriko and Gurei marrying to each other (since Midoriko and Gurei are cousins). Censorship will fall more into the lines of editing the gameplay or images to prevent the audience from doing something like marrying the Avatar to the royal siblings. It's very likely that the localization time will not remove the gameplay that will allow you to marry the Avatar to the royal siblings, but they might need to change some of the support conversations and dialogue to highlight some unfortunate implications or treat this situations in a very respectful manner.

Zero: You know what they say: why put off for 10 years what you can do while she's 10?

Zero: Thank you. I promise to love you until I die of old age, so I guess around the time you hit 30. Now let's make a baby.

Zero: Hey, I'm not getting any younger, and I don't think you could possibly BE any younger. Makes perfect sense to me.

omg this alone makes me want to pair Elise and Zero. Alas, she's destined for greatness to create a blonde, magical Ophelia. i pair Zero with the other psycho anyways

That...will get edited. Probably will say something along the lines of him being her father.

xRzEI3.gif

Wha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcsHt7bwGb8

Homosexual relationships will never go into NOA's domain. Ever.

Edited by Princess_Florina

Actually, it's very likely that NOA will still keep the same-sex relationships as well, as United States is somewhat more open in discussing LGBT issues than Japan (keep in note that Supreme Court that recently allowed same-sex marriage). Keep in note that unlike Mario, Super Smash Bros, or Donkey Kong, the intended audience for the Fire Emblem games are meant for an older audience and some Fire Emblem games actually explored more complex issues (for example, the Tellius series looks into the issue of racism and political corruption). HOWEVER, support conversations that implies brother-sister incest, the support conversation between Soleil and the male Avatar, and the cousin incest between Midoriko and Gurei is definitely going to get changed, as incest is a larger taboo in America than in Japan. Even some of the skinship quotes are going to be heavily toned downed to be less sexual in nature.

Like I mentioned earlier, there are going to be a lot of changes in the localization, but some changes are usually necessary to make the game enjoyable for western audiences. In fact, when Awakening came out, there was actually a lot of controversy with the western fanbase in regards to Nowi since she's technically considered to be a child by dragon age standards and the way she dresses isn't normal for some character who looks like a 10-year-old (made worse when you can have a child with her). NOA toned down a lot of her childish mannerisms for the localization and even when to the extent to selecting a voice actress that made Nowi sound a little older.

Keep in note that localization of video games is actually much different than say...localizing anime. In video games, you can actually change some dialogues (particularly the text based dialogues like Fire Emblem has) where the said dialogue may invoke too much controversy. Anime is much different, as you really can't change much in anime and most of is not only trying to translate word to word the character is saying but trying to keep the context of the anime (which is why you see some anime like Hayate the Combat Butler, Bakemonogatari, and most incest, lolicon, and shotacon anime tend to be not released with dubbed, as these anime tend to be too difficult to dub for the western audience to understand or enjoy).

Edited by Dark Paladin X

That...will get edited. Probably will say something along the lines of him being her father.

xRzEI3.gif

Wha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

-----

Same-sex marriages has already been confirmed to be in the english version of the game.

Actually, it's very likely that NOA will still keep the same-sex relationships as well, as United States is somewhat more open in discussing LGBT issues than Japan (keep in note that Supreme Court that recently allowed same-sex marriage). Keep in note that unlike Mario, Super Smash Bros, or Donkey Kong, the intended audience for the Fire Emblem games are meant for an older audience and some Fire Emblem games actually explored more complex issues (for example, the Tellius series looks into the issue of racism and political corruption). HOWEVER, support conversations that implies brother-sister incest, the support conversation between Soleil and the male Avatar, and the cousin incest between Midoriko and Gurei is definitely going to get changed, as incest is a larger taboo in America than in Japan. Even some of the skinship quotes are going to be heavily toned downed to be less sexual in nature.

Like I mentioned earlier, there are going to be a lot of changes in the localization, but some changes are usually necessary to make the game enjoyable for western audiences. In fact, when Awakening came out, there was actually a lot of controversy with the western fanbase in regards to Nowi since she's technically considered to be a child by dragon age standards and the way she dresses isn't normal for some character who looks like a 10-year-old (made worse when you can have a child with her). NOA toned down a lot of her childish mannerisms for the localization and even when to the extent to selecting a voice actress that made Nowi sound a little older.

Keep in note that localization of video games is actually much different than say...localizing anime. In video games, you can actually change some dialogues (particularly the text based dialogues like Fire Emblem has) where the said dialogue may invoke too much controversy. Anime is much different, as you really can't change much in anime and most of is not only trying to translate word to word the character is saying but trying to keep the context of the anime (which is why you see some anime like Hayate the Combat Butler, Bakemonogatari, and most incest, lolicon, and shotacon anime tend to be not released with dubbed, as these anime tend to be too difficult to dub for the western audience to understand or enjoy).

Well...then those relationships have to say.

It has to be removed or Nintendo will get fined and sued. -.-

Same-sex marriages has already been confirmed to be in the english version of the game.

Oh.

Uh...... Why would they get fined or sued?

Japan laws works different from ours. They don't allow incest.

Uh... I don't know if you noticed but a lot of things that are against the law are allowed to be portrayed in media bruh.

Fiction generally does not need to adhere to domestic law. Incest in game of thrones hasn't been censored or fined for it. A bit of an extreme example but they have ratings for a reason. That's like saying you can't show murder on a TV show because it's illegal.

But yeah definitely the skinship lines will be localised to be a bit more tame and support convos will be edited like they were in Awakening, just with a few more instances. Unless I'm missing something though there are no husband/wife/child tags on the status screen so no need to change to 'companion' this time round.

just fyi, some states allow 1st cousin marriage and most countries in the world allow it as well, including all of South America and most of Europe. so rather than taboo, 1st cousin marriage is more stigmatized

Edited by GoXDS

That's already in the game though. Kazahana wonders what she's supposed to do when he's just petting her without saying anything.

Besides, wouldn't it be a bit strange to joke about marrying young girls and then...actually marry young girls?

"I'm not a pedophile. I married Midoriko ironically."

That's child's play Thane. You're thinking too small. We need Lazward crying about being manhandled, characters complaining about being treated as pets while some mysterious force keeps them from leaving.

It would be strange/hypocritical for IS to do something like that. The Treehouse didn't write the game and put lolicon in it, so if they're feeling ballsy enough, they can mock the whole thing, even if they can't stop it from happening.

This is all wishfull thinking off course, unless someone like me was in charge of all of Nintendo, it couldn't happen in a million years lol

NeptuniasBeard is the kind of writer we need on the team. I kind of half want this. I don't want Fire Emblem to fall so far into fanservice otaku-culture that it only has value through satire, but I would totally play a parody mode.

I really think theres a couple of other things that need to written around. Tbh, i didnt even realize that Kamui grows up in Nohr thinking those royals are their real siblings. Because the game kinda establishes that Kamui was kidnapped pretty freaking early on. Its in the promo material ffs. I just assumed Kamui knew and so did the other siblings. Turns out only Marx is aware of this? What the living shit is that? I honestly thought it was like a Theon Greyjoy scenario where everyone knew but Kamui still has an identity crisis when the Hoshidans push for Kamui to return. Camilla not realizing Kamui isnt a blood relative but still that kind of possessive over them (to the point where shes got less than familiar feelings) does not make a lick of sense. They. Need. To. Fix. That. Its also dumpy writing.

Also making it clearer that Kamui is not blood related to Hoshidans. (at very least, to the player)

Kamui not remembering his life in Hoshido is really the only way for his conflict of loyalty to be somewhat credible. With Theon's choice, he had to choose between his awesome adopted family and country vs his shitty real family and country. If Kamui grew up in a shitty country like Nohr, all the while remembering idyllic Hoshido, the choice would be a no-brainer (it still is heavily in bias of Hoshido but that's a topic for another thread).

Marx and Camilla (if she knows) knowing about Kamui's real heritage and not telling him makes some sense, but not for the Hoshidan siblings. I have to wonder how Ryoma would have broke the news to Kamui in real life. "Yeah, I'm not your real brother. I thought I would keep it a secret until we started a romantic relationship, haha! Your mom is related to you tho. You can trust me, I wouldn't lie to you twice."

Marx and Camilla (if she knows) knowing about Kamui's real heritage and not telling him makes some sense, but not for the Hoshidan siblings. I have to wonder how Ryoma would have broke the news to Kamui in real life. "Yeah, I'm not your real brother. I thought I would keep it a secret until we started a romantic relationship, haha! Your mom is related to you tho. You can trust me, I wouldn't lie to you twice."

I think they probably did it that way because the Hoshidans were actually supposed to be his real siblings, but they changed that just so that no waifu gets left behind.