Invisible History DLC Full Story Summary

Kirokan

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Even their final chapter phrases in Nohr/Hoshido are fairly generic, and they get nothing special at all in the 3rd path.

Dammit, I was actually quite ready to give the benefit of the doubt to that part if that was foreshadowed in the actual story but nope. That really is intensely disappointing.

I still don't get why exactly he needs the three to begin with. Apparently only the Yatogami can hurt his evil form, but only Kamui can wield the Yatogami. Good!Hydra didn't really need to bother with them at all. If it's to find and protect Kamui, then not only did they do a poor job, on the Hoshido route, they do the exact opposite of what they would be supposed to be doing.

Though to be honest, even if he did need three warriors from Ylisse (for some reason), I would not hedge my bets on those three at all lol.

He wanted some loyal subordinates to aid his child in the mission to slay him as most people would be loyal to one country or another.

As you clearly see things didn't work out in part because he was busy doing a lot of stuff while events happening in Hoshido and Nohr. Heck he didn't even know Kamui wasn't in Hoshido until Lilith told him. Unfortunately they are enjoying their life as Nohr retainers way too much. It doesn't help he wasn't able to tell them Kamuis name before he sent them either.

Though they do hint about the mission in supports.

Edited by JupiterKnight

It really surprises me how they chose to go about writing this DLC. Lilith and the three Awakening kids aren't big parts of the main story, yet the DLC sets them up to be. It also doesn't make any sense for Severa, Owain and Inigo to even stay in that world if Kamui chooses the wrong path, especially Conquest, given that they know Hydra exist, yet they seem fine with invading a peaceful nation instead of stopping the big bad. I know they can't talk about Hydra, but they now officially suffer from one of the major problems with Azura: they don't even TRY to show anyone the Invisible Kingdom. Hell, now that they know about the songs, shouldn't they try to team up with Azura? They don't even have a single interaction as far as I know.

And how DID Azura know about the Invisible Kingdom with the plot curse still active? Didn't she and her mother flee when they were very young? Does it explain how they got to Nohr and Mikoto to Hoshido?

This DLC makes no sense!

Good news: This was pretty much EXACTLY how I imagined the Awakening trio's story pre-Fates. Not necessarily that good!Anankos was involved, but that a higher power had brought them to the world to help, they were aware of the Invisible Kingdom, and were basically in on the whole truth. In my own story, the two of them have a larger role in the plot, and this does nothing but help support it.

Bad news: They should have had a larger role in the game proper, based on this. I suspect fanfic writers will eventually fix that.

As for why the other Awakening kids didn't get involved:

Actually, we can infer why some of them weren't recruited. Brady canonically can't fight, and even quits being a healer in his epilogue. Nah and Yarne are both shapshifters who don't exist in the Fates world (dragon and rabbit respectively) and would stick out like sore thumbs, especially since Anankos emphasized that the mission was 'covert' so to speak. Gerome could barely be convinced to meddle in the past, he would be a very hard sell on helping another world. Noire is sickly, and between that and her 'other' personality, she wouldn't be a good fit for the mission.

I mean, obviously, the three we got were picked because they were the most popular, but still...

Don't forget to feed your dragon pet sister who served you as your maid your entire life, everyone!

This game really turned out to be all sorts of fucked up, huh...

I think B.Lue put it best:

Go home IS, you're drunk, and you failed at logic. Again.

It's like it was written almost entirely separate from everything else. I've stopped getting frustrated over IS's writing and started treating it as a great source of unintentional comedy.

Edited by The DanMan

What's worse is that in the IK route when Kamui is trying to convince Marx and Ryouma it's the invisible monsters destroying the Opera town, Lazward somehow completely forgets he's fought them before. Or at least he doesn't even try to help convince Marx they're real. The Japanese fans have taken to calling the kids the 'three idiots'.

What's worse is that in the IK route when Kamui is trying to convince Marx and Ryouma it's the invisible monsters destroying the Opera town, Lazward somehow completely forgets he's fought them before. Or at least he doesn't even try to help convince Marx they're real. The Japanese fans have taken to calling the kids the 'three idiots'.

That's the best thing I've heard in a while, and sadly, it's sort of true. While everyone except Takumi is an idiot in Conquest, those three stick out even more now since they've explicitly been told what to do and that not fighting against Hydra is wrong. The game doesn't even try to hide that Birthright and Conquest are incorrect choices in terms of story.

So much for trying to capitalize on the popularity of the most popular Awakening children, huh? Seems like it's had the opposite effect.

Edited by Thane

I plan on ignoring the Invisible History DLC. Because it is invisible and I can't and do not wish to see it. This just further shows eithe rthe writer made too many fumbles or they split the story up and gave pieces to other writers to finish without them being able to share information with each other so they don't end up contridicting themselves or adding plot holes. They like the challenge!

Edit: When the games come to NA, I hope they use the benefit of hindsight to fix it up a bit. I'm not sure how well it will do but..slight improvement?

Edited by Abysswalker25

I plan on ignoring the Invisible History DLC. Because it is invisible and I can't and do not wish to see it. This just further shows eithe rthe writer made too many fumbles or they split the story up and gave pieces to other writers to finish without them being able to share information with each other so they don't end up contridicting themselves or adding plot holes. They like the challenge!

Edit: When the games come to NA, I hope they use the benefit of hindsight to fix it up a bit. I'm not sure how well it will do but..slight improvement?

It feels like every writer worked alone and only communicated with one another via direct messages written on paper airplanes... That occasionally missed, thus getting lost or ending up at the wrong person.

To be quite honest I hope IntSys doesn't attempt to do the multiple route idea again. If they do it again in the future I hope the writers write the plot more coherently. Besides that thank you so much for translating this.

Edited by Frelia

It feels like every writer worked alone and only communicated with one another via direct messages written on paper airplanes... That occasionally missed, thus getting lost or ending up at the wrong person.

That reminds me, the mini-credits showed the scenario writer and it was someone different. I don't recognize the name but I think it was one of the Awakening writers.

I was just reading that and it didn't click until just now who he meant. Thanks Ryo.

But man that's clearly absurd for him to be able to do so much yet not even be that strong. It's like the opposite problem of Grima where the biggest threat he showed was at the end and spent most of the story relying on Risen even after his revival.

Which again, means Naga could have totally fixed the future timeline the instant Grima was destroyed. Thus proving my long held suspicion that Naga is actually a massive asshole. Explains the hell why she keeps getting mortals to do her work for her: she's too lazy to be arsed.

Which again, means Naga could have totally fixed the future timeline the instant Grima was destroyed. Thus proving my long held suspicion that Naga is actually a massive asshole. Explains the hell why she keeps getting mortals to do her work for her: she's too lazy to be arsed.

Pls no. Not a SoCal V. Just no.

I will say this though. The idea of multiple routes and kingdoms and all that good stuff was solid. Good on paper.. not so great on execution.

I've said it before, and will probably say it again: so. Much. Wasted. Potential.

So can we all agree that our story hopes for FEXV are rock bottom?

Edited by The DanMan

I've said it before, and will probably say it again: so. Much. Wasted. Potential.

Dunno about that. Still, from what I hear gameplay is very nice and challenging. And that is still the 'meat' of the fire emblem series.

Dunno about that. Still, from what I hear gameplay is very nice and challenging. And that is still the 'meat' of the fire emblem series.

The gameplay is amazing. However, they tried to write a more intriguing and complex story only to fail miserably. I'm not going to trust what they have to say ever again when it comes to their writing. Like The DanMan put it, my expectations are rock bottom. This DLC is just the icing on the cake since it proves they can't even retroactively add depth, but instead make more of a mess out of everything.

The gameplay is amazing. However, they tried to write a more intriguing and complex story only to fail miserably. I'm not going to trust what they have to say ever again when it comes to their writing. Like The DanMan put it, my expectations are rock bottom. This DLC is just the icing on the cake since it proves they can't even retroactively add depth, but instead make more of a mess out of everything.

Eh. I didn't even really mind the story until this DLC. Hopefully when they make the next game they will keep the gameplay and they will have worked on their writing, keep all their notes together so information isn't all over the place and can make a decent story with good explainations rather than things like the Touma Curse.

Ugh, this damn forum rubbed off on me. I'm grumpy now.

Edited by Abysswalker25

Nope. Even if this one doesn't entirely come up to expectations, I'll still look forward to what the next FE brings story-wise.

Eh. I didn't even really mind the story until this DLC. Hopefully when they make the next game they will keep the gameplay and they will have worked on their writing, keep all their notes together so information isn't all over the place and can make a decent story with good explainations rather than things like the Touma Curse.

Ugh, this damn forum rubbed off on me. I'm grumpy now.

You're free to enjoy whatever you wish, of course, but I simply cannot understand how you couldn't have minded the story until now. I'm devastated by the wasted potential of the interesting premise. Thankfully it sounds like the Japanese fanbase is upset by the quality of the writing as well, and if that's the case, then Intelligent Systems will probably realize that something went wrong, so with any luck they'll strive to improve the writing until the next installment...of course, that's what they tried with Fates, so like I said, I've got no expectations whatsoever.

Don't let the forum get to you; I still love Awakening even though everybody here seems to hate it with a fiery passion of a thousand suns - it's important to note that the forum is also just a fraction of the fanbase and that everybody has different opinions - I absolutely hate Blazing Sword and don't think FE eight to 10 are anything special either, but a lot of people here would disagree with me, and that's fine, and it shouldn't affect anyone's opinions.

Edited by Thane

They were definitely trying too hard with creating a complex story only to turn into a dribbling mess in the end. I'm not trying to excuse the shoddy writing, but I'll give them credit that they did acknowledge the fact that the story in Awakening was one of the weaker parts of the game and made an effort to step it up. I just think they set the bar a little too high especially since they're under the pressure of making another Fire Emblem game that surpasses Awakening; the game that saved the franchise in the first place.

Yeah it sucks that the supposedly complex and interesting story had a bad execution especially since they promised that the story was going to be better than Awakening, but, sometimes developers just have to try again. I think they should start off by not setting the bar too high and raising people's expectations by saying 'oh look we got a manga artist to write the story' because when people have high expectations, they're a lot more critical. I used to write a lot myself and although I had many cool ideas, it was hard to lay them out cohesively into a solid story. That's what I'm seeing with the story. But, I don't let it bother me considering everything has its flaws and I just have to accept it.

The story is no doubt the weakest part of these games, but I also think it's important to mention all the good things about the game as well. Why focus on the bad, when you can focus on the good too?

Edited by carefreejules

You're free to enjoy whatever you wish, of course, but I simply cannot understand how you couldn't have minded the story until now. I'm devastated by the wasted potential of the interesting premise. Thankfully it sounds like the Japanese fanbase is upset by the quality of the writing as well, and if that's the case, then Intelligent Systems will probably realize that something went wrong, so with any luck they'll strive to improve the writing until the next installment...of course, that's what they tried with Fates, so like I said, I've got no expectations whatsoever.

Don't let the forum get to you; I still love Awakening even though everybody here seems to hate it with a fiery passion of a thousand suns - it's important to note that the forum is also just a fraction of the fanbase.

Hey I liked Awakening too. (Wait... the person with the Robcina pick for his avatar liked Awakening. Madness!!!)

Mainly I liked it for its characters, with the support conversations easily being the best part of the game. Also for all its plot shortcomings, it did handle time travel way better than a lot of other stories have (though that says more about time travel stories almost always being a complete mess than anything else). My big problems with Awakening's plot was really that is was non-existant, which its handful of interesting idea never actually explored or really even addressed.

In the end I prefer Awakening's story, since a rather lame, since I'd rather have an inoffensively unambitious story than an ambitious story that completely falls apart as long as the characters are good.

Edited by TheWerdna

Personally, I wouldn't have been bothered by the IK curse that much had it only served as an explanation as to why very few people in history have known about Touma. However, I don't like how they have playable characters learn pretty much everything about it, but then actively go about doing absolutely nothing to guide others to these truths. It would have been better if nobody knew about it at first, and the characters have to actually go through a process of investigation, researching the mysterious invisible armies' whereabouts and origins, then linking one and one together in order to find out the true mastermind. Surely it would require some rewriting of the plot, but that's how I want the third route's story to be about. That way, it can avoid exposition dumping from Aqua's part, while still legitimating the other 2 routes' existence.

About this particular DLC, I don't think it's really necessary in terms of feeding us information. Hydra and Lilith's backgrounds should be discovered in the main campaign where they belong. Regarding the Awakening trio, I'm sure there are other ways to explain their appearances that don't involve Hydra. Like them traveling via Outrealm Gate to Fates' world for an adventure but got lost and caught up in the war. It still sounds silly as hell, but at least this kind of explanation doesn't have any negative effect on the bigger picture. That's what most people have been theorizing anyways, no one expected that they had an unknown connection to Hydra.

To be quite honest I hope IntSys doesn't attempt to do the multiple route idea again. If they do it again in the future I hope the writers write the plot more coherently. Besides that thank you so much for translating this.

I don't think the issue is the multiple route options, but having a main writer external to IS working on the game, with a lot of the later final story actually scripted or even planned by different people who work closer with IS. Even if sticking with a single route would avoid contradicting other routes for obvious reasons, we'd likely still see contradictory DLC and supports as long as they attempt that set up again.

It's obvious that their current set up, with main story, supports and DLC makes things very hard to work consistently with if the "main writer" isn't actually there supervising everything.

Edited by NeonZ

I don't think the issue is the multiple route options, but having a main writer external to IS working on the game, with a lot of the later final story actually scripted or even planned by different people who work closer with IS. Even if sticking with a single route would avoid contradicting other routes for obvious reasons, we'd likely still see contradictory DLC and supports as long as they attempt that set up again.

It's obvious that their current set up, with main story, supports and DLC makes things very hard to work consistently with if the "main writer" isn't actually there supervising everything.

I'd like to see less multiple routes and more branching choices within a single game. Maybe things change less drastically, but that way it feels like your choice actually mattered when it happens rather than based on which game you bought.