FE4 (O-sawa Mitsuki) Manga Translation Continued (Chapter 70 up)

Jugdral Defender

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 41 is up.

I AM SORRY ABOUT THE HORSE NOISES BUT ALL OF US JUST STARED AT THEM SO CONFUSED AND DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO PUT THIS IS THE BEST WE CAN GIVE YOU.

P.S. Midir is awesome. Infinitely awesome. My boy, he has grown.

In other news,

Thanks for the update!

Unfortunately if you're looking for translators here, you'll be in competition with the FE14 translation patch team which is also pretty strapped for team members at the moment. Hopefully someone else likes FE4 enough to come out of the shadows instead.

we'll be looking around in other places too; not just here. It's less that we've been strapped for members and more that contact is just difficult. Our translator is incredible and loves what she's doing, so even with only one translator, there wouldn't be a shortage if we could get in touch with her easier. She flew through volume six to be perfectly honest. I'm assuming she has volume seven done by now since it's been quite a while since she told me she had only one chapter for it left to do, but if I can't contact her and get the translations, well.... we're stuck. I'm crossing my fingers that she'll get back to me in time before we end up stuck on chapter 43 for too long, because we've already started on the last chapter for volume six.

Also, another quick warning: after the next chapter, chapters are going to be getting very short. Some will span anywhere between 20-40ish pages, but some will definitely only be about 20 pages. The volumes are literally half the size of the first six as of seven and onward. It'll probably be a bit odd at first since we're all used to 30-50 pages per chapter, but with another ten volumes to go, we'll proooobably get used to it~.

Edited by Jugdral Defender

Well Midir may have been the hero, but Dew's line was funnier.

I didn't find the horse noises that distracting, I think they were fine and..

literally ending in a cliff hanger...

Looking good guys, well worth the wait.

And some more awkward incest thrown in there for good measure

ok midayle is quickly becoming one of my favourite FE4 characters and FE4 has one of my favourite FE casts.

also i love the ending pun. can't wait to see more. also dew is entertaining with his quick wit. overall another great chapter in a great sereies.

also about the length i wouldn't worry because if the chapters are shorter than means less work and they'll come out faster and really as long as the quality is up there it shouldn't be a big deal.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update: The next chapter's almost done. There are a few pages left to be cleaned and I'll get the chapter put together as soon as possible. We'll be cleaning the end volume pages because I do hope to get some of them (or maybe even all of them) translated one day, because Oosawa leaves some good information about the manga in those notes. For now they'll go untranslated, but if we can find someone to work on those someday, I'll update them here.

Unfortunately we're still on a translator hunt, so I'm not sure how long the wait will be between this chapter and the next volume (which is really unfortunate imo since I'm looking forward to all the Lex).

Moral of the story: I totally did not like Andre until I typesetted this chapter and got all sad. Well that's fine then.

Also, if anyone is interested in knowing Fala Scans' list of projects or our requests for translations, they are listed on our translator request on my post on Tumblr here. If you think we're seriously crazy, well... you wouldn't be wrong. In any case, the hunt for a translator continues, but if anyone here is ever interested in taking that up, our information is all there.

Around the first 100 pages, a bit short of that, overall revolve around Lex, Aira and Langbart, and the volumes are only about 160 pages from here on out (volume 13 falls short in story content because there's a ton of outfit designs that take up a good portion of pages). So yes, I'd say pretty Lexy.

Also, I think I might've been saying volume 11 for the outfit designs earlier and I am not sure how I fucked that up but I think I did, so there's that. It's 13.

Chapter 42 is up.

I've done some minor editing to previous chapters, such as font size in some bubbles so it's not terribly small compared to the bubble size, as well as accidental lowercase "I"s and re positioning some of the text. There were a couple "I"s I didn't bother fixing because of layer issues and minor cleaning editing I did that I'm too lazy to fix right now since I just did all of those (the font editing, etc.) in one sitting, and it would probably require me to redo some pages completely or almost completely.

Once we do chapters 36 and 37, I'll combine them all into one zip file, so for now they'll just stay as they are. As mentioned on the post I linked to, we do plan to cover the older chapters, but our priority is on the untranslated ones. Whenever we get the chance, I'll attempt to find someone willing to translate Oosawa's notes after volumes, but until then we'll release chapters like usual without them being done, and we'll go back and get those done once we have someone for them.

Thank you so much for all your hard work!

They were really shooting to make most of the antagonist even if a bit sympathetic, uh?

Really looking forward to the rest of it. But at the same time, I'm not, because each chapter we are closer to that.

And once more: thankyouthankyousomuchIloveyou.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprise, I forgot to mention we have a translator again, so the next chapter's up. Send him a thank you through the wind.

Me typesetting this chapter: omg I want to punch Langbart in the face

Me typesetting: -squints at text-

Lex: I won't calm down until I punch his face!

We don't just wanna punch.

We wanna punch his face.

That was an interesting experience as I had not read that line ahead of time.

I'd like to also offer my thanks to The End for helping us out in our endeavor to get this manga completed. :) It's gone unfinished for far too long.

Also of course this is the volume with BEST DRAGON KING on cover ;) Glory to Thracia!

( but I'm still going to cry because she's making me clean those certain specific chapters because no my waifu :( Conflicted feelings, man...)

• 1 month later...

It's so awesome to finally see this manga continue. I do have one small request - in the future could you please standardize your file naming? I keep chapters in folders by volume (and I'm probably not the only one who does so) and because of that right now chapter 44 is before chapter 43 in the folder.

File names are done by volume number then page number (ex 7 (volume)-01 (page number), 7-37). I also put my typesetted and pre-typesetted chapters in folders by volume, but I have a folder for volume six and a folder per chapter within that volume's folder, and the remainder of the manga is set up that way as well on my computer. I'm not sure what you're saying when you say 44 is before 43 on your computer if you do it this way, but our zipped files are named as Volume (Number), Chapter (Number).

We were informed of an issue regarding leading zeroes previously that none of our computers caught because Windows no longer is affected by leading zeroes, but we've switched over to using them because apparently some programs won't read the files correctly without them (I'm assuming generally just non-Windows programs).

I am not sure if I'm getting what you mean at its entirety (and I have consulted another member of the team about this and she also doesn't quite seem to be sure), but if it's an issue with just volume seven and not volume six (first chapter not counted because again, that was a leading zeroes issue and our computers didn't catch it, and we have since fixed this), that's probably because the files for chapter 43 were incorrectly named by chapter (instead of volume), then page. As with how we did all of volume six, we're continuing to name them by volume first, followed by page number. If you see the chapter number then the page number, that was unintentional. I've had a hectic past couple months, so please bear with me if there are mistakes I'm not catching. I upload chapters as soon as we finish proofreading them, so I don't catch everything right away.

Our standard file naming has been notably the same throughout since we began (volume, page number), so I'm unsure what you mean by standardize in the future. We haven't changed our file naming, though if it's the mistake in 43's naming, again, please bear with us. We have other errors we have to go back and correct as well, and I'm going back over what needs to be done from the beginning first.

Unfortunately if this isn't the issue for you, I can't be sure what it is, and I have the entire manga set up this way per page for the rest of the manga already (meaning changing the file names now would require me to manually go through about literally 1000 files, and that doubles once we split the scans because I scan by twos in pages). We're doing this by chapter and not by volume, so if you're grouping your files by volume and not chapter, which is how we're releasing, I would suggest renaming the files once you've downloaded them if your computer is reading them a certain way that conflicts with per chapter releases. HolsetyScans had their downloads by volume, but we release as we finish a chapter.

I'm pretty sure your issue is because of the one chapter the files were mistakenly named by chapter though, but yes, we have a standard naming system that's been consistent since we began.

Text wall.

A little mistake happened and we're pretty sorry about that! It happens, life goes on, ashes to ashes (okay probably not the best saying for this fandom but). I'll second that if the file naming is an inconvenience to your organization, please feel free to rename the files for your own personal use. We love when people say thanks or show their gratitude, we really do, but not so happy when people start taking it for granted. I mean, a 'thanks for the effort' would be preferred before asking about something that has already been addressed in the thread.

It's okay though, I'll be sure to sneak in and rename everything with a randomizer and replace the Mega link without JugdralDefender's knowledge. That should make things more interesting! The pages are mostly numbered on the actual pages after all.

I mean someone has to be the bad guy here and I'm the one with practice. :Trabant:

An explanation of Please Stop Pressing Us:

Basically the above post is saying we're not very fond of being told in any variant "the way you name things doesn't fit how I organize my own files on my personal computer, so change your files to fit my organization even though you guys have your own set way of organizing your files". We've been given quite a bit of stress over this manga ever since we began, and even before that. We're releasing this manga, and we thought it was a nice thing to do, but it's stressful being asked for favors around every corner every time we do something. If you don't like how we organize our files, you're free to rename them to what best suits you.

I know you were not trying to be rude, and this isn't specifically directed at you so much as in general, but we've had this happen already to some degree and we do things the way we do things. We can't keep altering our own organization for every single person that comes to us saying "it doesn't organize right on my computer". In that case, alter it so you can find it on your own computer, the same way we all do.

Seriously, please, we don't want this manga to become even more stressful on us. We want to have fun doing this, not dread every release wondering who is going to say they have an issue next. It's a manga, and it is there to be read. We're doing this in the first place, at all. We like to release chapters and discuss them, not be told someone isn't happy with how we put our files together or that something went wrong on their end. If that's the case, you are free to fix your files, but please don't keep asking us to fix our own files that we have our own way of finding. I have a huge, very specific setup already on my computer from volumes six through sixteen, and changing it now would be a mess. I have folders in folders in folders for the sake of knowing exactly where everything is and what the progress of the files in that folder are.

Again, it's not just you; it is that we've been pressured since before we even released our first chapter. We're mildly upset that we've been so pressured despite deciding to take up this manga after it was silent for three years. We don't like being told to do this and that under the guise of "requests", because ultimately these requests are implying "change how you work and do things". This could be a take what you get manga, but we're seriously trying to make the pages quality work. We prefer to be thanked for that before seeing, "this doesn't work for me". Then make it work, because there are probably hundreds of people reading this manga between here and all the websites that host it, and we can't cater to every individual. You might think "But I only said-", but all those of individual "I only said-" situations add up and become stressful for us. At the very least, three of us have agreed this is the case. We're not here to discuss how we organize our files; we're here to discuss the Oosawa manga.

Text wall. :Arvis:

Ack, I'm so sorry about that. I think part of my confusion was that I just got back to the manga after a long hiatus, and I had files from the previous translator and your team in the same Chapter 6 folder, so between that and the one time mix-up with chapter 43 everything looked more mixed up than it really was. Now that I see what's what, it's clear that your file scheme is perfectly consistent. I'm sorry I didn't delve deeper into the issue before opening my mouth.

I totally get how hard scanlation projects are, and I've been really impressed the quality of the current translation. As an aside, if your team ever needs an additional proofreader to take off some of the load, hit me up - I know nothing about Japanese, but on the English side I'm really solid for a non-professional and have a stupid amount of time on my hands.

Now I'm left wondering if I'm going to end up feeling a tiny bit of empathy for Langobalt. I already had more feels for Andre than seemed possible (seriously, the guy got one of the actually decent fathers in the story and shot him anyway!), so let's see how it goes.

Edited by Fëanen

A little tip: if anyone need to massively rename a lot of file, then you should consider using the tool "Bulk Rename Utility", just use search engine to find it

It has option to add prefix, suffix, numbering, extension changing, replace, regular expression, auto date, etc