FE4 (O-sawa Mitsuki) Manga Translation Continued (Chapter 70 up)

Jugdral Defender

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, we never get to know how was he before having the Loptyr Tome handed to him by Manfloy

We do get some sort of in-game cue with Yuria saying he used to be a sweet boy 9 years prior to the game. Then you have the beta notes (or rumored? There were two different lists on the site) having plotted out the whole Part III with Yurius "being saved by Yuria's love". Sometimes the original intention can show its true colors, though y'know, some things might've changed during the process but I'd say it still held some truth to it if the above was inserted in the game in the final version.

This manga showed him to be more humane and not entirely 'straight up ebilz for funz!1' possessed villain that is a young teenager. I mean when you think about how a couple of the holy weapons could overtake the caster's personalities (and twist them in the Lopt tome's case), then it's certainly possible the Yurius we see isn't wholly the same as to how he was originally before Manfloy decided it was time to be a dick and rip the family apart he so carefully 'made' himself |D.

On the subject of Manfroy, what puts him above Validar (an obvious attempt at Awakening having a spin on Manfroy) is not only that he is much more effective as a foe, but he does indeed get something out of aiding Loptyr. Both sticking it to the foul heretics hunting him with other Loptryians and sitting besides Loptyr in his order. Look through GotHW's 2nd Gen with Thracia 776 and you'll see the Loptyrians having a ball where a man like Blume does what he's told.

Edited by Alazen

well, we never get to know how was he before having the Loptyr Tome handed to him by Manfloy

Only in the game, but even then we have an idea. In the game, Yuria says "her dear brother". In the manga, we get flashbacks of Yurius and Ishtar as children. Yurius was a very happy, cheerful child. In the manga, he's still pretty humane compared to the game, and he shows a lot more emotion, but all of that is also a bit difficult to see and understand from a game; especially when the dialogue sprites never change expressions (which is understandable considering the time period of the game).

We do get some sort of in-game cue with Yuria saying he used to be a sweet boy 9 years prior to the game. Then you have the beta notes (or rumored? There were two different lists on the site) having plotted out the whole Part III with Yurius "being saved by Yuria's love". Sometimes the original intention can show its true colors, though y'know, some things might've changed during the process but I'd say it still held some truth to it if the above was inserted in the game in the final version.

This manga showed him to be more humane and not entirely 'straight up ebilz for funz!1' possessed villain that is a young teenager. I mean when you think about how a couple of the holy weapons could overtake the caster's personalities (and twist them in the Lopt tome's case), then it's certainly possible the Yurius we see isn't wholly the same as to how he was originally before Manfloy decided it was time to be a dick and rip the family apart he so carefully 'made' himself |D.

The mentioned notes are on this site, so you can look for them for in the FE4 section. But yes, the original intention was to save Yurius and have him live. If he was able to survive because of Yuria's feelings, that means he did care about her as a normal person before possession. A lot of things get removed because they want to add something else in (and/or don't have enough room for everything) or decide it's better not to add for the story. Unfortunately we won't know what Oosawa thought to do with this because the manga ends after Alvis' fight with Celice. We never see Yurius or Manfloy's final battles.

The difference between Loptous' possession and Holsety's possession is that Levin was dead, therefore the possession is completely Holsety. Yurius was alive, so Loptous twisted his personality and got a say in most things he did. However, the manga kind of pushes more for Yurius being partly himself as well. There's even a scene where we see his inner monologue despite what he's saying/doing on the outside. Oosawa goes more for trying to make us see some of Yurius himself and not just the possessed side of him.

As far as feeling bad for him goes because he was innocent child wrapped up in everything, yeah. He was used for Manfloy's devices and lost the rest of his real childhood. Both the game and manga show him having signs of being humane, but Manfloy had a tendency to knock that back and just tell him it's okay, it's all for his sake, and brush off any sign of human emotion that Yurius might start showing.

On the subject of Manfroy, what puts him above Validar (an obvious attempt at Awakening having a spin on Manfroy) is not only that he is much more effective as a foe, but he does indeed get something out of aiding Loptyr. Both sticking it to the foul heretics hunting him with other Loptryians and sitting besides Loptyr in his order. Look through GotHW's 2nd Gen with Thracia 776 and you'll see the Loptyrians having a ball where a man like Blume does what he's told.

Please don't discuss things way off topic to this manga. This is a manga translation thread and has nothing to do with other games/mangas, nor comparisons to other games. This kind of question belongs in a thread about the game itself. Thanks.

Edited by Jugdral Defender

don't worry i understand you're just trying to explain manfroys actions not justify them and i was mainly thinking of arvis and trabant when mentioning villans he influences as well as julius who is the villan i felt sorry for the most.

I wouldn't even really include Trabant as a villain. He's an antagonist for sure, but he's on the other side of a complex series of failed negotiations and wars that dates back to the deaths of Noba and Dain. At least until later on when he lets the Empire kinda walk all over him and Thracia he's really, earnestly trying to do the best for his citizens. Also, a lot of his actions can't be excused by the 'Manfloy forced his hand' until later on. Initially he could have declined to do anything in certain situations but in the end did what he felt was best.

It's just unfortunate for us that we grow very emotionally attached to some of the characters that are in his way (*sobs* not my precious pink haired waifu...), but when you flip the chess board they're the enemy pieces...

I'm quite happy Oosawa made him a bit more sympathetic, even if he can be a huge asshole at times too.

(Ah look, surprise surprise that Yuan is 'defending' Trabbles. ;) )

Edited by ChildofDain

Hey again! Finally caught up in my reread and just got to your translations, and I just noticed something when I was reading Chapter 38. Not sure if anyone else brought this up, but figured I would. I use a comic reader when reading comics and manga collected into RAR files, specifically CDisplay, and I noticed that the pages were appearing out of order, starting with page 100. I figure it out that it's because the way you had the files named for each page, it though page 6-100.png came before 6-88.png, it read the "1" before the "8". So just for future reference, it'd be helpful to add a "0" placeholder, so that the files read 6-088.png, 6-089.png, . . . 6-099.png, 6-100.png (or jpg).

Hopefully that makes sense! It was just very confusing when the chapter started with a flood, and I didn't find out what caused the flood until the very end.

Hey again! Finally caught up in my reread and just got to your translations, and I just noticed something when I was reading Chapter 38. Not sure if anyone else brought this up, but figured I would. I use a comic reader when reading comics and manga collected into RAR files, specifically CDisplay, and I noticed that the pages were appearing out of order, starting with page 100. I figure it out that it's because the way you had the files named for each page, it though page 6-100.png came before 6-88.png, it read the "1" before the "8". So just for future reference, it'd be helpful to add a "0" placeholder, so that the files read 6-088.png, 6-089.png, . . . 6-099.png, 6-100.png (or jpg).

Hopefully that makes sense! It was just very confusing when the chapter started with a flood, and I didn't find out what caused the flood until the very end.

The way the original files are set up are in order, as well as on most (all I've seen) manga sites. Faiaaouji has mentioned to me that one website she went to for some reason put them out of order - that wasn't us (in case anyone's reading from websites). MangaHere, for example, has our chapters uploaded properly; just the way we have them put together in our zipped files. I make sure to name the files so they are in fact in the correct order. I always check before each release to make sure it's all in order. According to ChildofDain, it's your application misreading the order. Your app is acknowledging the number order in a way that my computer itself isn't, so they're put together in order in the original zip when I save the files as my computer is reading them.

Sites I've seen with our work have been in the order the zipped files are in. If you haven't reread 38 yet, your best bet would be to read them on another site. If the files were actually out of order then all websites would have put them up out of order (which imo would be pointless and I don't know why someone would just upload them anyway if they were that out of order).

The files appear like this in the original zip file. Obviously that's not showing every file because I just screenshotted as far as the window was showing, but they continue accordingly. Uploads on sites are following the order the original zip files are in as shown, and if they were out of order my computer would arrange them that way too. I've experienced that on the other chapters while saving the finished typesetted files, and if I noticed they went out of order I went back and renamed the files as necessary. Three of us in the team do (final zipped file) proofreading together as well, so myself, Faiaaouji and ChildofDain all see the files zipped before I upload to Mega (and we do this while we're all online so we get any mistakes from each other).

Your app is apparently not reading the numbers the way they're actually zipped, so that's something to do with how your app perceives number order. Nobody else here has had this issue as far as I know because nobody has said as much, so I am assuming everyone's computer read it as the websites have the pages (which are correct, which is why I suggest if you plan to reread chapter 38, reading it on a website where it's a set order would be a good idea). At least that way nothing can misread the order, is what I mean.

The pages all start with 1 now anyway since we're past 100, so it won't be an issue for you again for the remainder of this volume. Hopefully this (information) will help explain to anyone else who may have this problem in the future.

Yeah, basically it looks like for the future we'll adapt the file naming system but if you plan to re-read it might be best to either rename the files manually or read that chapter online for now. Windows doesn't seem to have any issue with no leading zeroes anymore, since as JugdralDefender mentioned it hasn't been brought up to us yet and didn't come up in any of our proofreads. Unless that's what the user on reddit was trying to tell me too but didn't seem to be able to articulate properly. Oops? XP All of us run Windows, so it never came up.

Edited by ChildofDain

If anyone's app needed 0 suffix, then I suggest them (the reader, not the scanlator) to rename it with BRU (Bulk Rename Utility)

Use search engine and download it

Open it

Select all the '21' until '99' page (in BRU)

Check 'add'

Insert '0' in 'prefix' field

Click 'rename'

Yeah, once I figured out the issue, I just renamed the files, and it works fine now. I figured it was probably only an issue with the particular comic reader program I was using, but in case anyone else uses a similar program I though I'd bring it up. :)

Chapter 40 is up.

There are a few notes I'm gonna leave at the end of the volume regarding various chapters (possibly for all, but I guess depending). I already had quite a bit in 38/39 for notes, and this chapter did not have enough/anything important to add.

Also, we ARE all aware the font looks different between the typesetters. For some reason Faiaaouji's is not matching mine (skinny text and a few of her letters are practically overlapping others), so if anyone wants to PM either of us to try finding a fix, it is more than welcome. All of us have gone over everything we can trying to fix the problem, but nothing yet.

Unfortunately we missed out on a brief translation (tiny text, so nothing actually significant), as it is difficult to get into contact with our translator at times, and I need to grab her a new scan of one of the pages so she can translate the text (it was too blurry for her to read since it was near the spine). I'll add it in later on if we can get it, but for now I wasn't going to let two tiny completely unimportant lines (those little lines at the bottom of panels that are just silly comments) hold us back.

Unfortunately we missed out on a brief translation (tiny text, so nothing actually significant), as it is difficult to get into contact with our translator at times, and I need to grab her a new scan of one of the pages so she can translate the text (it was too blurry for her to read since it was near the spine). I'll add it in later on if we can get it, but for now I wasn't going to let two tiny completely unimportant lines (those little lines at the bottom of panels that are just silly comments) hold us back.

My scanner can scan things that are not completely flat (doen't blur them). so if you need one or 2 pages scanned that way, please let me know.

i wouldn't worry about those untranslated lines it really dosn't mean much.

also i like midayle's line "i don't even know why i'm here" it's pretty funny but kinda sad too as it shows he may have low self esteem and not realize his importance to the group. or i'm overanalyzing a single line of dialogue.

My scanner can scan things that are not completely flat (doen't blur them). so if you need one or 2 pages scanned that way, please let me know.

Well, it's actually mostly just a problem that I have limited contact with my translator. It wouldn't be a problem if I could get her a new scan (we've had this happen once before), but again, limited contact. Thanks for the offer, though it's generally simple for us to work out! If we really badly need something, I'll let you know.

i wouldn't worry about those untranslated lines it really dosn't mean much.

also i like midayle's line "i don't even know why i'm here" it's pretty funny but kinda sad too as it shows he may have low self esteem and not realize his importance to the group. or i'm overanalyzing a single line of dialogue.

Yeah, that's why I'm willing to add them later, because they're not going to affect story knowledge whatsoever.

To be fair he does seem to have fairly low self esteem in general. That time was just a funny line since he was there to "protect" someone who can clearly handle herself, but yeah; he doesn't seem to have to any ego whatsoever... despite that he wipes out the Orgahil Pirates AND basically the Beige Ritter himself. You'd think he'd take a hint and realize he could kick his game self's ass, but nah. Poor bby.

See, one thing I'm glad about in this manga is that Oosawa didn't do that. She made him very strong and capable and gave him quite a nice character imo. He gets plenty of time in this manga and is given very important roles. The reason he gets sidelined in the game is because he honestly is a bad unit (his stat growths are unfortunately honestly quite terrible and I try using him in every file but ultimately he's always going to be lacking), and Oosawa probably just liked his character and wanted to make him useful, rather than going by how he is in the game. Lachesis isn't exactly a good fighter either in the game when you first recruit her, but Oosawa had her wipe out an entire group of enemies. Generally, she does her best to give the characters a bit more shine than they get in the game.

at page 175, Slayder says Byron is most likely heading towards Lubeck, but that doesn't make sense given Sigurd's army is at Zaxon ( well, close to Zaxon anyway ) and Langbart is at Lubeck. Is it a typo or am i missing something?

That aside, everything else was pretty good, thank you for translating this

See, one thing I'm glad about in this manga is that Oosawa didn't do that. She made him very strong and capable and gave him quite a nice character imo. He gets plenty of time in this manga and is given very important roles. The reason he gets sidelined in the game is because he honestly is a bad unit (his stat growths are unfortunately honestly quite terrible and I try using him in every file but ultimately he's always going to be lacking), and Oosawa probably just liked his character and wanted to make him useful, rather than going by how he is in the game. Lachesis isn't exactly a good fighter either in the game when you first recruit her, but Oosawa had her wipe out an entire group of enemies. Generally, she does her best to give the characters a bit more shine than they get in the game.

i definitely agree about how they recharactarized him in the manga although i found him pretty good in game maybe a remake can fix that but that's a separate discussion altogether. of course not all the characters got this treatment, namely alec, noish and arden as they get forgotten pretty early on. then again after the prologue i forgot about them too so i guess it's meta.

at page 175, Slayder says Byron is most likely heading towards Lubeck, but that doesn't make sense given Sigurd's army is at Zaxon ( well, close to Zaxon anyway ) and Langbart is at Lubeck. Is it a typo or am i missing something?

That aside, everything else was pretty good, thank you for translating this

I was confused about that too at first when my translator gave that to me, but I checked my book and I also just double checked and the original kana does in fact say Lubeck. I think they mean Byron is passing by Lubeck on the way to Zaxon, which makes sense when I picture the game's layout for the chapter in my mind and Byron is coming to Zaxon and is between Lubeck and Zaxon.

i definitely agree about how they recharactarized him in the manga although i found him pretty good in game maybe a remake can fix that but that's a separate discussion altogether. of course not all the characters got this treatment, namely alec, noish and arden as they get forgotten pretty early on. then again after the prologue i forgot about them too so i guess it's meta.

Noish and Alec do get decent amount of time in the manga thankfully (though not much more for what we've got left unfortunately because there's heavy focus on other characters). I personally love that Noish stays as Sigurd's messenger throughout. It's nice because in the game, at least for me, they fall out rather quickly (especially since if you know what you're doing and have played the game/know the story, if you're like me you'll be more focused on training Fin, and by the time he leaves enemies are a lot stronger and it's harder for Noish and Alec to catch up again). I feel like Oosawa aimed to make things personal for the characters more often, and I love that she mixes in game elements with realistic elements. At least she doesn't have to worry about level ups, because if she did, Arden got those burns for a reason. :P

Midir isn't totally sucky, and he's actually pretty good sometimes, but his level ups are just very bad because his stat growths are terrible, which hurts him later on for not getting enough stats up. But as you said, that's another discussion. His manga counterpart thankfully gets past all that. He does some pretty intense things in the manga imo and he's actually my favorite part of the Andre arc. Only two chapters left for the volume though, then at least we get to enjoy Lex for a while.

i mainly compared noish and alec to cain and abel from the FE1 because comparatively cain and abel had a lot more characterization compared to alec and noish in this manga. although to be fair they both had diffrent but equally amazing writers

Cain and Abel are iconic for the whole series though, so that's understandable. In Oosawa's case, she branched out more to as many characters as she could, and she also had two generations to cover, so some characters lost importance after a while. She even had to cut some characters from the manga entirely in both generations (Hilda, for one thing, is important to the entire Freege storyline, so losing her kind of hurts the background of that family's plot, and Ishtor was given more panel time instead). Plus it's also a matter of interest, I'm sure. Noish and Alec are adorable in this manga though and I'm still really sad they didn't survive through to gen 2 like some of the others did that didn't in the game.

Cain and Abel are iconic for the whole series though, so that's understandable. In Oosawa's case, she branched out more to as many characters as she could, and she also had two generations to cover, so some characters lost importance after a while. She even had to cut some characters from the manga entirely in both generations (Hilda, for one thing, is important to the entire Freege storyline, so losing her kind of hurts the background of that family's plot, and Ishtor was given more panel time instead). Plus it's also a matter of interest, I'm sure. Noish and Alec are adorable in this manga though and I'm still really sad they didn't survive through to gen 2 like some of the others did that didn't in the game.

you bring up a good point cain and abel are iconic characters so it would make sense they got their characterization. i also imagine that she could have cut certain characters because she didn't like them, namely beowolf because he ruined her finnxraquesis OTP. but cutting hilda seems strange especially considering how important she is in terms of in game plot. also you should probably spoiler tag the end of your post because it does contain minor spoilers for gen2.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry we've been deathly quiet lately (including on our Tumblr blogs regarding the manga)!

Currently, we're planning a translation recruitment so we've slowed down a bit. Our translator is great and I absolutely love the work she's put in for us, but the issue is that we simply cannot contact her often enough. If I can't get in touch with her and we're finished with the translations she's given us, we'll end up getting stuck. Well, currently, we're two chapters away from that.

ChildofDain and I are going to be formulating requirements and requests we'll be put putting into the list of things we're looking for. From there, once that's all set, if anyone is interested, feel free to message me and I'll take it with you from there.

In the event that we do end up getting stuck, we will continue working on the manga. Obviously without translations we can't typeset, but I can scan and the cleaners can do their part. That would mean all that would be left is translating/typesetting, so chapters might halt for a bit, but once they pick up again, they at least won't be delayed because of lack of cleaned pages. FaiaaOuji and I would be able to finish the chapters up as soon as the translations were available to us, and we wouldn't have to stop midway.

Of course, this is only depending on how long it takes for us to either find a second translator, or if our current one gets back to me before we've gotten the remaining two chapters of volume six out. If my translator gets back to me by then, I'm pretty sure she'll have volume seven all set for us, but the last thing we want to do is reach the end of volume seven and have this happen all over again.

Please note this is not a replacement. We are not replacing her and she still is part of the team. This is to be on the safe side to be sure we have a better chance of getting in contact with a translator when needed. If nothing else, it will only help us to have two translators instead of one. Her work is very well done and extremely well organized, and I am extremely grateful to have the opportunity to work with someone like her; especially since it was sheer coincidence that she became a member of the team (Luck stat was maxed that day!).

Once we've got the details ready, one of us will post here about it again. But again, it's not like we're completely halting work on the manga. While we search for a translator, we'll be working on whatever else we can. Also, again, we still have two chapters left until we have no translation for chapter 43 (we have 44 but not 43, which doesn't really help us here, and that's where the closest problem is).

Good news is that those two tiny little sentences that I couldn't get earlier in chapter 40 I have someone else looking at (who I've asked and confirmed cannot be part of the team thanks to a ten hour a day job), so those will be up soon!

Thanks for the update!

Unfortunately if you're looking for translators here, you'll be in competition with the FE14 translation patch team which is also pretty strapped for team members at the moment. Hopefully someone else likes FE4 enough to come out of the shadows instead.