FE4 (O-sawa Mitsuki) Manga Translation Continued (Chapter 70 up)

Jugdral Defender

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Hardric62 said:

Ouch for all this stuff, I hope it will get better for you from now on. The job done with this translation has been awesome so far, hearing of progress is just  nice.

Thank you! It's definitely been a very rough past year for me and getting things straightened out took time and wasn't easy. I wanted to do things for the manga and I guess with everything going on my motivation kind of fizzled out for a while once I was actually able to. I was going to try to continue cleaning while we had no translator and then things happened... I did get some of it done, but like I said, that was on my desktop which doesn't help at all at the moment. I ultimately decided not to show previews of the cleaned pages because of the lack of overall activity and I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up that we were more active than we actually were. I might in the future, but I don't want to say that right now as a guarantee because of what happened last time.

I do feel bad for mentioning I was planning to do certain things that I ultimately couldn't get done so I wouldn't be surprised if some of these more recent updates fall on deaf ears/people don't actually expect anything. All I can really say is we're trying and I hope something comes of it.

Thanks for sticking around and enjoying what we've done so far! I hope we can continue soon now that things are slowly moving back in a positive direction.

---

Edit: For everyone, please read the OP. I'm working to fix this so hopefully the chapters will be back up soon. Thank you.

Edited by Jugdral Defender

• 2 months later...
Hi guys!

Here's the deal for this manga: We've gotten a translator in the team who has been doing work for FE for a long time (and has been working on the novels). We're currently at chapter 70 in translation (in other words, the next volume is almost fully translated), but it's the cleaning and redrawing of pages that's kept us held down. We do have cleaners, but if you have interest in helping clean you can message me, but otherwise we're set to go! I'll be updating the SF forum page as well as we go (we're working on it as I type this).

Edit: (image below)

I'm trying lol.

Also, uh, the font might be... bigger than before? I'm honestly not sure and doing this on a laptop is a lot different than doing this on a desktop tbh so I'm sorry if the font is like, huge or something compared to before. I keep feeling like I'm using a much larger size in the font than I did before but on my end on a laptop it doesn't look that way, so I? have no? idea?

image.png

Hi, I’m one of the new cleaners on this project and just dropping in to inform you guys that we are all trying our best to get the next chapters to you as fast as possible. Furthermore we’ll try to maintain a more frequent update schedule until we see this project to completion.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Lapis

40 minutes ago, Heroking said:

I appreciate what the team been doing and hope this project will be completed. Keep up the good work and good luck to you all.

Thank you! I also hope it will be completed and that's been my intention from the start, despite the massive length of time in hiatuses we've had to take. I'm really hoping it will work out similar to how it used to with our updates. I've been training new cleaners while working on my own share, so hopefully the next couple of chapters will be up soon.

Why do I say next couple? Because I'm insane enough to work on two chapters at once. Have some Fin goodness from the chapter after next while you wait!

1590347761_12-02-032.png.7b96f66260906b517f88a7b35c6d0569.png

Hey, I'm the new translator! The Oosawa manga has been pretty challenging for me, it actually has lots of high level Japanese vocab and can get pretty complex. I can translate most of the FE4 novels without a dictionary, and then I'll get hung up on a couple manga pages for the exact same story for days. How did that happen? XD

As a result, I haven't managed to produce translations for the manga as fast as I have for the novels, but I'm still determined to chug along to see this project through to completion, so keep checking in to see our progress! 😄

On 11/24/2019 at 3:52 AM, Jugdral Defender said:

Thank you! It's definitely been a very rough past year for me and getting things straightened out took time and wasn't easy. I wanted to do things for the manga and I guess with everything going on my motivation kind of fizzled out for a while once I was actually able to. I was going to try to continue cleaning while we had no translator and then things happened... I did get some of it done, but like I said, that was on my desktop which doesn't help at all at the moment. I ultimately decided not to show previews of the cleaned pages because of the lack of overall activity and I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up that we were more active than we actually were. I might in the future, but I don't want to say that right now as a guarantee because of what happened last time.

I do feel bad for mentioning I was planning to do certain things that I ultimately couldn't get done so I wouldn't be surprised if some of these more recent updates fall on deaf ears/people don't actually expect anything. All I can really say is we're trying and I hope something comes of it.

Thanks for sticking around and enjoying what we've done so far! I hope we can continue soon now that things are slowly moving back in a positive direction.

Hey, at least you're actually committed to working on it unlike a certain someone and his FE4 translation patch.

I have been meaning to ask something in this thread for a while now. I know this is quite far-fetched but, is there any chance of this thing getting updated with the officially translated names of all the character? I totally understand how much of a hassle it would be to do this, but it would be quite nice if it was managed at some point. Especially considering how multiple fan translated names were mistranslated.

14 hours ago, Wads said:

I'm very glad the translator for the Fe4 novels is also working for the manga translation now too. Good luck lads!

Btw this image of Ishtor morning Lisa is right after the cliffhanger in Chp 66 correct?

Thank you! Yes - that's the first page of the coming chapter. As of now 67 and 68 are almost done (and 69 has been started). We've been a little held back because Lapis is dealing with a lot of school related circumstances due to the current world situation, but she's almost finished with that and in the meantime I've been working on both chapters and 69. We'll release one first, but it shouldn't be too long before the next one follows. In a month Lapis will be free from school business entirely though! That should free us up a lot.

13 hours ago, CatManThree said:

Hey, at least you're actually committed to working on it unlike a certain someone and his FE4 translation patch.

I have been meaning to ask something in this thread for a while now. I know this is quite far-fetched but, is there any chance of this thing getting updated with the officially translated names of all the character? I totally understand how much of a hassle it would be to do this, but it would be quite nice if it was managed at some point. Especially considering how multiple fan translated names were mistranslated.

LOL yes, I'm very committed. This project will get done. I've been intending to finish it from the moment I started it. If life hadn't thrown such massive curve balls at me and CoD, we wouldn't have needed to put it off for so long.

As far the names, that's a no - for two reasons. One, it would take a lot of time and work to go back and edit every single solitary instance of a name being mentioned. Two, I'm specifically using Oosawa's names which are romanized at the end of volume thirteen - hence why I chose to go with Teeny and Phee over Tinny and Fee, for example.

The names I'm using are, again, in this instance, specifically related to Oosawa's usage of the names, which are in fact the correct romanization of the names. The names we're using for this manga aren't mistranslated but are actually the official names in JP. There were other names I'd wanted to use - some such as Aideen, Brigid and Midir for example - but I decided against it for this manga specifically (also in part for a bit more consistency with Holsety Scans, since they'd been using Adean, Briggid and Midayle in those cases).

In future releases outside Oosawa, some names will likely be a little different, but not all of them (anthologies and 4komas and such). Some fan translations weren't correct but saw a lot of use, for example, such as Levin being used instead of Levn. That's actually the one name I kept for this manga over the official one only because I know Levin was basically the known version among the fandom rather than Levn. Tinny was also a mistranslation that was more commonly used over Teeny (which I also prefer Tinny to Teeny), so in some instances the mistranslations are more widely known and liked.

As far as using localized names in future projects, there will be some, but not all. I'm sorry but nothing under the sun or moon will get me to use Chulainn over Holyn. I guess it'll be kind of a mix? But yeah, some fan translated names didn't match the JP versions in the end and I don't use many of those names for this project. Actually, Midir was incorrectly fan translated too because Midayle was the romanization, but we also started this project before Heroes came out. Unfortunately Heroes has also previously changed names before (FE6's Thea for example was originally something else before her release, and they changed Hawk to Hawke and then, this past CYL, back to Hawk), so in the event it happens again I'm not going to want to edit everything to match the current version.

TL;DR we won't be changing names for this manga at this point because it's a lot of tedious work to edit pages in that way (I edit pages, but it's usually related to cleaning and typesetting). There are some names I would've preferred too but chose not to use them for this when we began, but you'll see some changes in future projects if you ever happen to follow those. Not everything will match localizations, but you'll see some of them. For Oosawa, it's just too much to go back and edit things now (such as if say, I chose to go with Midir - editing every mention of him is honestly a lot of work and some spots will probably be missed. At this point imo it's better to leave it than to have instances of Midir and Midayle pop up in the same chapter, you know? That for every single name change is... whew).

Thank you for reading though - it's much appreciated!

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who's worked on these for providing us with easy access to such a great manga. There is only one thing I would like to know, however... does chapter 44 contain any big plot points that cannot be skipped to keep the context intact? Because that's where I left off last time but last time I checked it was unavailable. If it turns out that it shouldn't be skipped, then I'll gladly wait as long as it takes for it to go back up, but I just want to acquire the information.

Other than that, keep up the good work!

31 minutes ago, Koops said:

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who's worked on these for providing us with easy access to such a great manga. There is only one thing I would like to know, however... does chapter 44 contain any big plot points that cannot be skipped to keep the context intact? Because that's where I left off last time but last time I checked it was unavailable. If it turns out that it shouldn't be skipped, then I'll gladly wait as long as it takes for it to go back up, but I just want to acquire the information.

Other than that, keep up the good work!

Thank you! 😊 You actually dropped that message just as me and Lapis were working on it. :P

I actually did locate the unfinished page in my files, so if I can track down the translation we had for it (I should be able to) I can finish the page. It's not really a big plot point so much as the introduction to Aira's feelings about the battle and that Langbart wants to face her alone/one-on-one. I do remember finishing the whole page before, so I have no idea what ended up happening to the completed version.

I'm not sure if you've seen the OP's changed details since then, but basically because I was unable to access the Mega account where the chapters were for a period of time, accounts on Mega eventually become deemed inactive and after so many days the account's data is wiped (re-activating accounts doesn't restore the data). That was why you couldn't access any of the files, and I was originally going to edit the chapters before putting them back up, but since we can move forward now instead, I'm putting edits on the back burner, no FE4 pun intended. I'll fix chapter 44 before I go back and do those edits though since I was able to find an incomplete version of the page backed up.

2 hours ago, antish0w said:

Where can I find the translations you will be doing? Loving the manga an hope to see more of it,

All chapters we've done so far are in the first post of the thread, as well as any details pertaining to what's there (or not there such as in the current case). That post is updated every chapter or when I need to put certain information updates there.

As a bit of a mild update:

Lapis is almost done with chapter 67's cleaning, though most of the work she has left are double spreads and she's new to cleaning manga so I hope you can all be patient with her. For being new to this her work has been fantastic, and imo the quality we're working toward is worth the small extra wait. As much as I could get these out a bit faster, the quality would take a nosedive on some pages.

Chapter 68 is almost completely finished - it really shouldn't be long at all after chapter 67 that we get it out. I need Lapis for a very tiny portion of that chapter and the rest is already completed. While waiting on these chapters I've begun work on chapter 69 and have a chunk of it also completed. It probably won't be long before I get working on chapter 70.

Other good news is I'm probably getting a tablet soon, which means I don't need to leave my other cleaners with all the heavy lifting.

Hopefully we'll get at least up to chapter 70 out relatively quickly as a... sorry for the horrendously long wait + most of us are still in quarantine special. :Sety:

Thanks 🙂

7 hours ago, Jugdral Defender said:

All chapters we've done so far are in the first post of the thread, as well as any details pertaining to what's there (or not there such as in the current case). That post is updated every chapter or when I need to put certain information updates there.

As a bit of a mild update:

Lapis is almost done with chapter 67's cleaning, though most of the work she has left are double spreads and she's new to cleaning manga so I hope you can all be patient with her. For being new to this her work has been fantastic, and imo the quality we're working toward is worth the small extra wait. As much as I could get these out a bit faster, the quality would take a nosedive on some pages.

Chapter 68 is almost completely finished - it really shouldn't be long at all after chapter 67 that we get it out. I need Lapis for a very tiny portion of that chapter and the rest is already completed. While waiting on these chapters I've begun work on chapter 69 and have a chunk of it also completed. It probably won't be long before I get working on chapter 70.

Other good news is I'm probably getting a tablet soon, which means I don't need to leave my other cleaners with all the heavy lifting.

Hopefully we'll get at least up to chapter 70 out relatively quickly as a... sorry for the horrendously long wait + most of us are still in quarantine special. :Sety:

On 4/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, Jugdral Defender said:

As far the names, that's a no - for two reasons. One, it would take a lot of time and work to go back and edit every single solitary instance of a name being mentioned. Two, I'm specifically using Oosawa's names which are romanized at the end of volume thirteen - hence why I chose to go with Teeny and Phee over Tinny and Fee, for example.

Aaaah, I had no idea Oosawa had them romanized herself. Makes sense that you would use them as she did so herself.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, Jugdral Defender said:

I'm sorry but nothing under the sun or moon will get me to use Chulainn over Holyn.

y tho

40 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

Aaaah, I had no idea Oosawa had them romanized herself. Makes sense that you would use them as she did so herself.

y tho

Just as an example from an uncleaned scan of mine:

image.png.4b6ecbd2c53bc4c910e6c89e1ce3f554.png

Idk, I felt like a fool not using names that were already written down lol. I did originally want to use Levn because of it but I had talked to the team at the time about it because I know basically nobody really knew that version of the name, so in the end it's the only one we didn't use.

As for Holyn, that's a personal preference for a few reasons (not like it matters in this manga though haha... ha... Holyn my good man...). Just something I have a leaning toward is all. 😊

Chapter 67 is up! It's in the usual spot in the OP.

Chapter 68 is very close to finished and will hopefully be up very soon. Chapters 69 and 70 are also already in progress. Once we catch up to the translations @LeifOfLeonsterTranslations has finished for us, I'm not sure what our speed will look like, but I'll continue cleaning pages with my cleaners in the meantime.

This is the last chapter TheEnd translated before LOLT's work, so we'll be crediting future chapters as such.

17 hours ago, CatManThree said:

@Jugdral Defender Would you mind putting those scans up for download? Its honestly quite interesting looking at those sketches. They don't have to be translated or anything.

I mean, I can, but they'll be released with the volume anyway when it's done. If you guys want a separate version of those by themselves in the meantime I can zip them together and upload them, but I don't know if I'll end up putting them on the OP because they're not technically a chapter.

Chapter 68 is up!

I know some of the pages have noticeable blurs on them - those are different from spine blurs and they happen during scanning for some reason. I’m not sure why, but this particular scanner has been doing that for a while now and I never knew why or how to fix it (I redid a lot of scans because of them when they started happening, but they kept happening even on a lot of rescans). Someday maybe I’ll go back and fix those, but it’ll be a long time from now because that would require redoing entire pages. I needed a new scanner cord at the time I finished the pages (I have it now but I didn't at the time), which is why I didn’t fix them before doing the pages. For now this is what I have so it’s what I’m using to avoid extending the wait.

40 minutes ago, Heroking said:

Best day ever for 2020 for me so far

😂 I'm glad it gave you such a good day. 2020's been wild so far but at least we started up on the manga again.

Never thought I would see the day Ares was clowning around especially with that scene where he was stretching Diarmuid's face. Or the fact that they touched upon how Tinny was an actual general. Also which chapter covers the fact that after Lisa dies, Ishtore is captured rather than killed? 

4 hours ago, Wads said:

Never thought I would see the day Ares was clowning around especially with that scene where he was stretching Diarmuid's face. Or the fact that they touched upon how Tinny was an actual general. Also which chapter covers the fact that after Lisa dies, Ishtore is captured rather than killed? 

I also liked it delving into Tinny's story in that sense!

We weren't shown him being captured. The guard mentions he lost the battle (when he said he had behaved the whole time and laughed that losing the battle shocked him that much), so that could mean either he fought them after Liza died and lost and was captured, or he was too distraught after losing her to fight back and essentially lost the battle when she lost her battle. It ends up being used for things in the coming chapters though, so you'll see that soon!