FE4 (O-sawa Mitsuki) Manga Translation Continued (Chapter 70 up)

Jugdral Defender

2 hours ago, CelestialContrail said:

First of all, thank you for taking the time to translate this manga for us. :^)  I enjoyed the latest chapter, even if the death in it felt a bit contrived and pointless.

Secondly, I thought I'd provide some information about the problems people have been having opening the archive for the latest chapter.  I'm a Mac user who hasn't had any problems with the previous chapters, but for the latest one none of the programs I have that can handle RAR archives could read the file.  Since I have access to a Windows laptop as well, I tried downloading the chapter and WinRAR on it.  The archive file still couldn't be opened by the other software, but WinRAR was able to successfully open the archive and extract the files.  My guess is that something went slightly wrong when the archive was created, and WinRAR is simply better at handling the imperfect file than other RAR extractors.

You're welcome! =o

Do you think it'd work if I just remade the zip file? I did it the same way I did with all the previous chapters, so it's weird that it's acting up when it created the files and uploaded just fine. I'm not sure if just redoing it would help, but all I can think of atm is remaking the zip file and reuploading it. I'm not overly savvy with other archive programs but all I do is zip the pages together then zip all the folders together when I put them out as a full volume. If anyone knows any fixes I can try them. I'm not sure what caused it so it might happen in the future, but at least if I can get a fix I can handle it faster if it does happen again. Sorry about that!

Edited by Jugdral Defender

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jugdral Defender said:

You're welcome! =o

Do you think it'd work if I just remade the zip file? I did it the same way I did with all the previous chapters, so it's weird that it's acting up when it created the files and uploaded just fine. I'm not sure if just redoing it would help, but all I can think of atm is remaking the zip file and reuploading it. I'm not overly savvy with other archive programs but all I do is zip the pages together then zip all the folders together when I put them out as a full volume. If anyone knows any fixes I can try them. I'm not sure what caused it so it might happen in the future, but at least if I can get a fix I can handle it faster if it does happen again. Sorry about that!

It's worth a shot - sometimes things just glitch.  I don't really have any other suggestions to try if that doesn't help, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So for an update here quickly, the chapter is done. Once I go over it one more time, I'll get it up. I've backed up a bit on it because I've been distracted with multiple other things and circumstances, but the chapter is actually done. Once I get my edits and all that in I'll upload it here, and we've got the translation for the next one which means once the cleaning is done I can get right on that. It was supposed to be up sooner if other stuff hadn't gotten in the way, but the good news is that it's actually typesetted and done.

EDIT: Chapter 65 is up!

On JD's request, a new post here to notify we've got another chapter up.

We're terribly sorry with how long these are taking . I know JD has already stated it but it's really quite true that her life has only gotten worse, not better. It seems to do everything possible to knock her down and myself, personally? I'm just a forgetful obasan who has to be reminded when it's my turn to clean things.

Seriously I have the memory and attention span of a ferret. When I'm lucky.

I didn't wanna double post, so here we are.

And yeah, every time I try to do something to knock life back down for being an ass it gets back up in my face. :l Sometimes I'm just tired of looking at the same pages so much between all this (i.e I scan the pages, clean a chunk of the pages, typeset the pages, proofread and edit the pages as needed, so by the time I'm on that last stage I'm so sick of seeing these pages when I have other things to worry about that I try to hold it off and then something else comes up, and... yikes). Between that and disaster, it takes what little energy I have left to focus on the few things that can occupy me. x.x

As far as the chapter goes, I'm basically ?! ??! !? ?! ??? ! ??!!? !?!!? lakche wtf you're not lakche where is lakche,  oh hey hi dragon dad, PROTECT THAT LIL KID, at the whole thing. I'd hoped to get the thing out when Leen and Aless were on a Heroes banner, but all of the above.

But that scene with the little kid was heartbreaking and even I want to go hug that kid and apologize for all the stupidity of stupid humans. That boy needs a kitten. :'l

11 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

I see you've now started using the official name for Loptous.

We've never not used Loptous. We've been using it since we took up this manga, and TE has always used it (he translated other FE4 manga before this). Loptous has always been the translation we've used from day one and has popped up several times in this manga already. I don't ever go back and edit things based on Heroes, so at this point it's Heroes using the same translation we've always been using. I've actually used Loptous since I got into FE4 and saw the kana for the name, then saw someone else (TE) was also using it. If you go back you can see we've used it plenty of times by now. Loptous was also used before in one of the FE4 books as seen here.

We don't change names midway into a manga either, so... yeah. We didn't just start using it. We've always used it.

3 hours ago, Jugdral Defender said:

We've never not used Loptous. We've been using it since we took up this manga, and TE has always used it (he translated other FE4 manga before this). Loptous has always been the translation we've used from day one and has popped up several times in this manga already. I don't ever go back and edit things based on Heroes, so at this point it's Heroes using the same translation we've always been using. I've actually used Loptous since I got into FE4 and saw the kana for the name, then saw someone else (TE) was also using it. If you go back you can see we've used it plenty of times by now. Loptous was also used before in one of the FE4 books as seen here.

We don't change names midway into a manga either, so... yeah. We didn't just start using it. We've always used it.

Huh. Interesting. It's been a while since I looked at the previous chapters, so I assumed that the Loptous became the term used because it became official.

Apologies.

38 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Huh. Interesting. It's been a while since I looked at the previous chapters, so I assumed that the Loptous became the term used because it became official.

Apologies.

Tbh it'd be too much work for something so small like going back to edit names. If I change any names, they'd show up in the anthologies and other projects, but not over halfway through something.

It's no problem - we just don't change names because they changed (yet again) in Heroes. The localizations constantly change, between FE7's localization to Awakening's localization to Heroes and whatever else might be in between. It'd be hell to edit names every time the Western versions changed honestly, so it's easier to just translate something and stick to it.

6 minutes ago, Jugdral Defender said:

Tbh it'd be too much work for something so small like going back to edit names. If I change any names, they'd show up in the anthologies and other projects, but not over halfway through something.

It's no problem - we just don't change names because they changed (yet again) in Heroes. The localizations constantly change, between FE7's localization to Awakening's localization to Heroes and whatever else might be in between. It'd be hell to edit names every time the Western versions changed honestly, so it's easier to just translate something and stick to it.

Gotcha. So hey, least you managed to get Loptous' name be the actual correct one before Heroes. So kudos.

• 2 weeks later...

I immediately fell in love with Jugdral after doing my first play-through of the game this summer, and after Chapter 5, I realized I couldn't get enough of the characters I saw in it. And after hearing there was a translated manga up to the end of Generation 1, I finally decided to bite the bullet and dive in. To my pleasant surprise, it had the exact, eye-opening struggles and character development I was hoping to see, a large amount of fresh, original interactions that I now prefer to what actually happened in the game, and the translation even went 20 chapters past what I had last heard which was also quite the pleasant surprise. It was a definite pleasure reading through it, and despite some of the overt tropes you might typically find in a romance manga from the 90's, I really did like Oosawa's take so far on Genealogy of the Holy War (she even has my great taste in ships haha). I know the team must be more than done with it after having worked on it for 2+ years!!! but I can't thank you enough for just translating what you, dain, damosel and theend have alone! From what I seen, it appears to have been a long struggle for you guys to get where you are today with the translation, and I guess I just want to say thanks for allowing me to enjoy what I have of it. And hopefully, we all get to see the end of it! Only 5 more volumes to go haha! 

Hooray Leen and Aless! Or Lene and Ares! Whatever I'm so happy! First Heroes, now this. Thanks for translating!

On 7/9/2018 at 8:21 PM, Pat Magroyn said:

I immediately fell in love with Jugdral after doing my first play-through of the game this summer, and after Chapter 5, I realized I couldn't get enough of the characters I saw in it. And after hearing there was a translated manga up to the end of Generation 1, I finally decided to bite the bullet and dive in. To my pleasant surprise, it had the exact, eye-opening struggles and character development I was hoping to see, a large amount of fresh, original interactions that I now prefer to what actually happened in the game, and the translation even went 20 chapters past what I had last heard which was also quite the pleasant surprise. It was a definite pleasure reading through it, and despite some of the overt tropes you might typically find in a romance manga from the 90's, I really did like Oosawa's take so far on Genealogy of the Holy War (she even has my great taste in ships haha). I know the team must be more than done with it after having worked on it for 2+ years!!! but I can't thank you enough for just translating what you, dain, damosel and theend have alone! From what I seen, it appears to have been a long struggle for you guys to get where you are today with the translation, and I guess I just want to say thanks for allowing me to enjoy what I have of it. And hopefully, we all get to see the end of it! Only 5 more volumes to go haha! 

Honestly that's what attracted me to the manga overall. There was a lot more depth to what was already there and interactions we were lacking in the first place. There are plenty of things I would have done differently myself (especially with gen 2), but the good outweighs the bad for me.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not at all done with this manga, series, or any of our projects. We've just been backed up for a variety of reasons and it's been harder to work on this lately. I was actually hoping we could go faster with this just to finish it for you guys, but I haven't been able to catch enough of a break to speed things up. We're working on it, if not slowly. I've managed to pick up a few new cleaners (one being temporary for the summer), so since we currently have no translator for beyond volume eleven, we're likely going to go ahead with the cleaning and clean far past the translation just to have it that entire chunk of the process done, so that if we get a translator again any time soon, we can jump right into the rest of it.

It's definitely been a struggle since post the hiatus, and I really wish we could get that momentum back. I definitely plan to finish this manga at the very least, even if it takes a long time to do so. I'm glad you're interested enough to wait for more and thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, it's been two years since I started playing FE4 and I still haven't finished yet! (Leafy is poking me to finish, heheh), but I love the characterization and the story elements in the game! It's very deep compared to others FE games, even my beloved Path of Radiance.

8 minutes ago, Mint Sherry said:

Haha, it's been two years since I started playing FE4 and I still haven't finished yet! (Leafy is poking me to finish, heheh), but I love the characterization and the story elements in the game! It's very deep compared to others FE games, even my beloved Path of Radiance.

Eh, honestly, the game is okay, but they really didn't handle the story as well as they could have. Unlike the manga, the game does everything it can to show how evil the Lopto Sect is, but never shows us how the persecution was. Which is a shame because the player doesn't see what Seliph sees. 

New chapter is up!

Just so everyone knows, after volume eleven is finished we'll be releasing chapters 36/37 to finish up volume six to zip it so the full volume can be zipped together. We're doing that now because our translator has stepped down indefinitely, as he has other interests he'd like to give his attention to. After that, we have one chapter of FE5 we can release. After those are all up, the cleaners will continue working on Oosawa, FE5, and the anthology series, but we will not be able to release anything until we have a translator. I WILL post updates here and there about where we are with the cleaning, so we WILL still be working. Hopefully I can find a translator sometime soon, but if we can't, we'll have at least a bit of work ready to be typesetted for when we can get someone. If anyone knows someone who can translate and is interested, feel free to send them in my direction. Again, we won't be simply not working on the manga, but we won't be able to release completed versions right away.

14 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Eh, honestly, the game is okay, but they really didn't handle the story as well as they could have. Unlike the manga, the game does everything it can to show how evil the Lopto Sect is, but never shows us how the persecution was. Which is a shame because the player doesn't see what Seliph sees. 

The story in the game is more in depth with Celice's internal conflicts and how gentle he is, but the manga doesn't really push too hard on that. In fact, he kind of becomes a product of the life he was forced to live in the manga, which is a massive difference from the game.

In terms of the Lopt Sect, I think both versions handled them amazingly. The game does portray them as evil, but you have to realize they are. It's not to say the people with Lopt blood are evil, but the people who are part of the Sect? Those people specifically are a Sect for dangerous reasons. The manga shows us how people are just born into their situation and persecuted for it, but that's something the game couldn't have done as thoroughly since it was just portraits and text. The Sect is trying to revive a dragon that will enslave humanity basically and kill anyone else, and the manga is just very good at showing the difference between that side of the Lopt Empire and the people who were just born into that situation and don't have anything to do with the evil deeds of the Sect. Some people pray to Loptous because it's the only thing they know to do and what they were raised to do, but they don't realize, such as that child, that Loptous is absolutely not the kind of god you want to have running Jugdral.

Basically I think the game would have gone more in depth with it if it could have, but those are some of the perks of the manga. It shows us the things the game couldn't, and the author of course has their own creativity on the matter to explore.

2 minutes ago, Jugdral Defender said:

In terms of the Lopt Sect, I think both versions handled them amazingly. The game does portray them as evil, but you have to realize they are. It's not to say the people with Lopt blood are evil, but the people who are part of the Sect? Those people specifically are a Sect for dangerous reasons. The manga shows us how people are just born into their situation and persecuted for it, but that's something the game couldn't have done as thoroughly since it was just portraits and text. The Sect is trying to revive a dragon that will enslave humanity basically and kill anyone else, and the manga is just very good at showing the difference between that side of the Lopt Empire and the people who were just born into that situation and don't have anything to do with the evil deeds of the Sect. Some people pray to Loptous because it's the only thing they know to do and what they were raised to do, but they don't realize, such as that child, that Loptous is absolutely not the kind of god you want to have running Jugdral.

There are ways of depicting the persecution the Lopto Sect has done. Just as there are times we have corrupt people sending to attack bandits or how the Lopto Sect goes hunting children, we could have sprite work done or maybe a scene or two where we have some Lopto Sect members or maybe innocents suspected of Lopto Sect work to be attacked or being burned at the stake. I felt that having only one villager dialogue and Lewyn just telling Seliph the persecution is not how the narrative should be structured. In that, we the player should have gotten a look over what they felt so that we can understand what Seliph is thinking, in that he seeks to end the cycle of hatred.

The manga does well to show us how Seliph comes to understand this because we see the Lopto Sect people being persecuted, both in Manfroy's flashback and how Seliph defends a child and shows the people how the Lopto Sect are still people.

This persecution is what led to Manfroy and the other Lopto Sect members to want Loptous to return, because as it was said, Loptous was the only hope they had for salvation. Their desire for revenge is just another link in the chain of hatred. 

This is a case of show vs tell, where I feel that Kaga should have at least shown us what the Lopto Sect had gone through. If even a little.