FE4 (O-sawa Mitsuki) Manga Translation Continued (Chapter 70 up)

Jugdral Defender

11 hours ago, Jugdral Defender said:

I also liked it delving into Tinny's story in that sense!

We weren't shown him being captured. The guard mentions he lost the battle (when he said he had behaved the whole time and laughed that losing the battle shocked him that much), so that could mean either he fought them after Liza died and lost and was captured, or he was too distraught after losing her to fight back and essentially lost the battle when she lost her battle. It ends up being used for things in the coming chapters though, so you'll see that soon!

But one thing that confuses me is how Arthur is only 1 year older than Tinny. I thought in game he said that she was baby sister which would imply she's much younger. I guess it's because Kaga never truly specified the ages of any characters due to how conflicting it might get with the time skip which was about 15 years not counting how much time goes by in each chapter of the game. 

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Wads said:

But one thing that confuses me is how Arthur is only 1 year older than Tinny. I thought in game he said that she was baby sister which would imply she's much younger. I guess it's because Kaga never truly specified the ages of any characters due to how conflicting it might get with the time skip which was about 15 years not counting how much time goes by in each chapter of the game. 

The manga isn't exactly the same as the game in that sense, but I think they're still only about a year apart in the game too. The end of volume nine has the age chart for the manga. In this case Arthur and Tinny weren't born yet before the Battle of Barhara, but in the game they were (in Azel and Tiltyu's lover conversation in chapter five of the game, Azel tells her to take care of the kids).

Granted, the ages are a little funky in the manga too. Leaf is older than Sety but FE5's game states it's the other way around. Then somehow Faval is sixteen even though Leaf is stated to be sixteen and Leaf was born before the attack in Yied but Faval wasn't born yet then, and Brigid wasn't even with Dew yet at the time. I could understand Leaf and Sety considering the manga isn't exactly like the games, but then... the manga says "as far as years go, Thracia 776's setting takes precedence. We've contacted Intelligent Systems so the ages in the Oosawa version wouldn't have any inconsistencies". And then... looking at Sety and Leaf's ages that's already not the case.

So yeah, I've learned to take ages in the manga with a grain of salt. ^^;

The ages from what I've seen from Kaga's dream notes for the Gen 2 children units were: Altena was around 20, Ares is18, Ced/Seliph/Lene are 17, Julia/Larcei/Ulster/Diarmuid/Arthur/Faval/Lester are 16, Julius/Leif are 15 Lana/Nanna/Fee/Patty are 14, Tinny is 13 AND CAIPRE IS 10. SELIPH HAD A 10 YEAR OLD IN HIS ARMY

On 5/11/2020 at 3:23 AM, Jugdral Defender said:

The manga isn't exactly the same as the game in that sense, but I think they're still only about a year apart in the game too. The end of volume nine has the age chart for the manga. In this case Arthur and Tinny weren't born yet before the Battle of Barhara, but in the game they were (in Azel and Tiltyu's lover conversation in chapter five of the game, Azel tells her to take care of the kids).

Granted, the ages are a little funky in the manga too. Leaf is older than Sety but FE5's game states it's the other way around. Then somehow Faval is sixteen even though Leaf is stated to be sixteen and Leaf was born before the attack in Yied but Faval wasn't born yet then, and Brigid wasn't even with Dew yet at the time. I could understand Leaf and Sety considering the manga isn't exactly like the games, but then... the manga says "as far as years go, Thracia 776's setting takes precedence. We've contacted Intelligent Systems so the ages in the Oosawa version wouldn't have any inconsistencies". And then... looking at Sety and Leaf's ages that's already not the case.

So yeah, I've learned to take ages in the manga with a grain of salt. ^^;

Fe4 in this case can not be equally considered as the manga or fe5 because of the way it works: It doesn't take into account the relationships of the characters until just the last chapter and is prepared for any couple that migth happen, thus cannot be considered too much canon(in my opinion) when talking about the heritage.

For example, the AideenXJamka relationship began in the manga as soon as he joined the army, while in my latest playthrough it never happened and the only dialogue with her pairing was at chapter 5. Also to note that Leif can only be borned before Ced because Cuan's pairing is pre-determined, while Erin can fall in love in the last turn of the chapter having the same consequences as if it didn`r happen. The manga and fe5 show another version that doesn't depend on the player, and thus the story can be analysed more seriously.

1 hour ago, antish0w said:

Fe4 in this case can not be equally considered as the manga or fe5 because of the way it works: It doesn't take into account the relationships of the characters until just the last chapter and is prepared for any couple that migth happen, thus cannot be considered too much canon(in my opinion) when talking about the heritage.

For example, the AideenXJamka relationship began in the manga as soon as he joined the army, while in my latest playthrough it never happened and the only dialogue with her pairing was at chapter 5. Also to note that Leif can only be borned before Ced because Cuan's pairing is pre-determined, while Erin can fall in love in the last turn of the chapter having the same consequences as if it didn`r happen. The manga and fe5 show another version that doesn't depend on the player, and thus the story can be analysed more seriously.

Which I get, but I mean more that the manga ages claim to go by FE5 and don't accurately. Again, as an example, Sety in FE5 states he's older than Leaf when speaking with him (in this case it makes more sense to say Sety is younger in the manga because he was clearly born after Leaf, but that means it's not consistent with FE5 like it claims to be). Leaf is also fifteen in FE5 - not sixteen. He's sixteen in FE4. As far as Faval goes in the manga itself, it states Faval is of an age that would mean he was literally born within the same year as Leaf, and Brigid wasn't pregnant or even in a relationship yet by the time Leaf was born. If he's the same age as Leaf, he would just barely be and it would mean Brigid and Dew moved really fast post war... and that also assumes Leaf was born extremely early on into the year because pregnancy alone takes nine months. That gives Faval three months to be the same age as Leaf (if Leaf was born the earliest possible time of the year) if Brigid was pregnant as soon as Leaf was born... which she wasn't, making that window even smaller.

I get what you're saying, but I mean instead that the manga is just inconsistent with ages based both upon what it claims to be based off of (FE5) and even within its own context. If you don't know what I'm referring to, check pages 160-161 of volume nine.

Based on the overall ages on that spread, the ages are more consistent toward FE4's gameplay than FE5's story, and then you have some pairs that clearly had children after the war in the manga like Azel and Tiltyu, who already had both kids before the end of the game's gen 1 when paired together.

In update news...

Lapis has finals this month so CoD will be helping us with chapter 69, but other than a few double spreads that CoD will be doing we're almost done with chapter 69 and I've finished my parts for chapter 70 as well as begun work on chapters 71 and 72 (which are now fully translated as well).

For now, here's a page of the coming chapter because why not.

image.thumb.png.26b20ec147c7cd537d815611a42cdac0.png

Tried editing that post and it wouldn't edit even though it was under five minutes old so I'll just drop this here:

When I was saying Leaf would have to be born the earliest month into the year that was worded oddly - it was meant more as an easy example. He could have been born at any point in the year as could Faval have been, but it would still have to be within the same year (i.e. Faval would have to have his 16th birthday before Leaf turned 17) which is what I find unlikely based on the manga's story and timeline. I just basically take the ages with a grain of salt because I find the timeline a bit... unreliable. But then also, between FE4 and FE5, the timeline is unreliable between the two anyway, so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Jugdral Defender

If they were to make an fe4 remake, I wouldn't mind having ambiguity when it comes to pairings or ages/timelines. I only wish they would add more character interactions, more specifically with the Gen 2 child units and Oifey/Shannan. I feel like these latter 2 really got shafted because of Gen 2 Lewyn.

@Koops I've updated volume seven, so chapter 44 is available again! I didn't do any edits on the chapter so it's not going to look as nice as our current releases (there's a lot of typesetting I need to redo and some pages definitely need rotation), but it's up!

7 hours ago, zarathusta said:

Hey just wanted to let you  guys know good luck with  everything l tried translating  some of it myself quite a few years ago but it got too complicated too do by myself wish you the best of luck

Thanks! This manga is definitely harder to translate than the other Jugdral books I own (and it's a lot, so that says something about this manga lol). I'm grateful for the translators I've had and their patience working on this. As much as some of us may be sad when we've finished this manga because it'll be over, I'm sure my current translator will love working on our other projects because they won't be so damn difficult lol.

17 hours ago, zarathusta said:

Hey just wanted to let you  guys know good luck with  everything l tried translating  some of it myself quite a few years ago but it got too complicated too do by myself wish you the best of luck

Thanks so much for saying this, I appreciate it! The novel is a straightforward breeze excluding some technical war-related vocab, I'll casually type out huge chunks on my phone while relaxing on the couch, but this manga will leave me going ??????? for pages, and I have to put down the chapter and come back in a few days when my subconscious has figured out what it all means. Even a mere year ago I probably would have given up on it. I've only cracked down really hard on getting to full Japanese fluency in the past year, when I had a huge wake up call, and realized that even being an advanced speaker doesn't cut it if you want get picked for a Eng/Jap bilingual job over the competition.

Also, about the gen 2 ages, there's a Q&A section at the end of vol. 12 which I have translated a bit of (though it probably won't be finalized until we've finished the manga itself first), and someone asks Oosawa about some of the character ages not adding up, to which her response is basically "Uuuuhhhhh... there's a bit of leeway here and there, but the rest... yeah..." So yeah, everyone is well aware that details are a bit fuzzy in places.

• 1 month later...

Hey all; sorry about the lack of updates. Our cleaners' time for the manga has been a bit limited. The next chapter is almost done with one double spread left and part of the next chapter has been finished as well. We'll get it up as soon as we can. Myself and one of the team's cleaners have been working on other chapters during times we're waiting, so some stuff past the current releases gets worked on in the meantime. Sorry for the delays!

On 5/18/2020 at 5:58 PM, 50 Gold for Volke said:

Not sure if you guys have noticed but the MEGA links to chapter 59 and 60 actually both lead to chapter 60.

Great job regardless!

Thanks for letting me know! I'll fix that soon.

On 7/13/2020 at 6:12 AM, Jugdral Defender said:

Hey all; sorry about the lack of updates. Our cleaners' time for the manga has been a bit limited. The next chapter is almost done with one double spread left and part of the next chapter has been finished as well. We'll get it up as soon as we can. Myself and one of the team's cleaners have been working on other chapters during times we're waiting, so some stuff past the current releases gets worked on in the meantime. Sorry for the delays!

No worries take your time 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 2:45 AM, Corrinflakes said:

Hi!! I had a quick question! -

Volume 13's cover art is Julius and Ishtar with Seliph...Will there be some more Julius/Ishtar content to look forward to in the coming volume? 😄  

Yes, there will be!

On 8/20/2020 at 8:25 AM, Myster Gamer said:

It has become my daily routine to check if there has been any updates to this Translation project. Hope that you can get next chapters out soon. 🙂

Me too! I always hate when it takes us this long. 😞 If there are any previews I can offer in the meantime I can try that though!

• 3 weeks later...

Update (edited for current accuracy):

@S3RAPH has been working on later chapters in volume thirteen so that once we finish volume twelve, we'll have some stuff to dive right into.

In between this, I had bought a new desktop and planned to resume activity on the new desktop. Unfortunately not too long ago there was a power outage in my area that fried my computer's boot sector, which required me to, simply put, delete all the data on the computer to factory reset it. I had everything in order on the computer prior to that, but now I'll have to get all my manga data from the various backups I have of it. Sometime soon I'll be getting all that and arranging things again as they should be, as well as fixing any of the errors from the links on the main page/first post of the thread.

I do have access to the recent chapters we've done as they were done on the laptop, and I'll be checking up to make sure I have everything else (all the old stuff as well) on the laptop, as I'm unsure if my old desktop's hard drive is dying as I'm having some trouble with it. If I'm missing anything or need to delay anything (including things as simple as just updating links), I'll let you all know.

We'll be continuing where we left off again hopefully soon. The next chapter is already almost done as far as I can recall - I just need to get everything back on my computer again and arrange everything again, then I'll be able to continue with what little is left and hopefully get that up soon. I had worked on a chunk of the remaining chapters of volume twelve before the computer shenanigans started up yet again (they were done on the laptop so they should be fine), so hopefully we won't have to interrupt our journey here for the hundredth time through the rest of this volume and hopefully the next one (because again, we've already started work on the next volume).

Ngl I've never seen a scan team have so many troubles getting a single manga out. 😰 Maybe someday life will give us a break and let us finish the damn thing.

2 minutes ago, Jugdral Defender said:

Update: Lapis is currently able to continue working on cleaning (various irl things kept her from cleaning regularly for a bit of time after the previous chapter release) and we may be seeing an old team member returning, this time as a cleaner! You may remember @FaiaaOuji having been another typesetter. We had some issues with her typesetting and it wasn't matching mine too noticeably, so I had to redo the typesetting on those old pages eventually. FaiaaOuji was off in other fandoms for a while but doesn't mind potentially working on this manga again as a cleaner.

@S3RAPH has been working on later chapters in volume thirteen so that once we finish volume twelve, we'll have some stuff to dive right into.

In between all this, I had bought a new desktop and planned to resume activity on the new desktop. Unfortunately not too long ago there was a power outage in my area that fried my computer's boot sector, which required me to, simply put, delete all the data on the computer to factory reset it. I had everything in order on the computer prior to that, but now I'll have to get all my manga data from the various backups I have of it. Sometime soon I'll be getting all that and arranging things again as they should be, as well as fixing any of the errors from the links on the main page/first post of the thread.

I do have access to the recent chapters we've done as they were done on the laptop, and I'll be checking up to make sure I have everything else (all the old stuff as well) on the laptop, as I'm unsure if my old desktop's hard drive is dying as I'm having some trouble with it. If I'm missing anything or need to delay anything (including things as simple as just updating links), I'll let you all know.

We'll be continuing where we left off again soon. The next chapter is already almost done as far as I can recall - I just need to get everything back on my computer again and arrange everything again, then I'll be able to continue with what little is left and hopefully get that up soon. I had worked on a chunk of the remaining chapters of volume twelve before the computer shenanigans started up yet again (they were done on the laptop so they should be fine), so hopefully we won't have to interrupt our journey here for the hundredth time through the rest of this volume and hopefully the next one (because again, we've already started work on the next volume).

Ngl I've never seen a scan team have so many troubles getting a single manga out. 😰 Maybe someday life will give us a break and let us finish the damn thing.

Hey still really appreciate it wish you and the team the best

I see some other group went ahead and finished volume 12 on Mangadex. Did you talk? It would be a shame if you wasted time redoing each other's work or even worse, dropped the project altogether.

Oosawa is suffering.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, TheEnd said:

I see some other group went ahead and finished volume 12 on Mangadex. Did you talk? It would be a shame if you wasted time redoing each other's work or even worse, dropped the project altogether.

Oosawa is suffering.

Yeah what’s up with that? I saw chapters 69-73 on Mangakalot and yet there were no updates on the Serene’s Forest thread for the manga beyond Chp 68. Is this a different translation team

On 9/8/2020 at 7:55 AM, zarathusta said:

Hey still really appreciate it wish you and the team the best

Thank you!

On 9/10/2020 at 7:58 AM, Myster Gamer said:

I appreciate the work you have put in to this project despite the troubles you had to face. I am glad that you still have motivation to continue on. I wish your team good luck 😄

Thank you as well! I feel so bad because the road has been so bumpy, but as detailed below there wasn't really much or anything we could a lot of the time. I've loved working on this project since we started and it's something I've been proud of. If we can't just make the push through this volume and the next (which as mentioned in a post above, we've already started working on), we'll have three volumes left which really isn't bad.

On 9/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, TheEnd said:

Oosawa is suffering.

Not exactly. I'm familiar with the person who provided the scans and I'm on good/cordial terms with them, but there is very bad blood between myself and one of the people who worked on those pages, so we will not be working together if they ever continue. I won't be redoing anyone's work, as all Fala Scans' work is done straight from my own books. Everything we work on is straight from scratch and 100% our own scans, translations, cleaning and typesetting (and if that ever isn't the case in the future for any project or part of a project, it will be stated in the credits and we will have gotten permission to use any part of someone else's work, or we simply won't use the work). If the scans or any other part of the scanlation work come from someone within Fala Scans, they'll be credited as normal.

I won't be dropping the project altogether. The only reason it's been so slow is because one person or another in the team has had something going on, and I don't mean minor things. We've had a lot of serious irl issues to attend to. I'm talking things ranging from school (and how Covid has affected it), job loss, financial situations, housing situations and other such extreme matters in the past few years. It's been things against our will that got in the way and sometimes sapped our energy and motivation. We're trying, but it's been very difficult with things getting in the way that are far out of our control. The computer troubles I've had here and there haven't made matters easy either. 😩

11 hours ago, Wads said:

Yeah what’s up with that? I saw chapters 69-73 on Mangakalot and yet there were no updates on the Serene’s Forest thread for the manga beyond Chp 68. Is this a different translation team

Yeah, that wasn't us which is why it wasn't updated here. I guess other people wanted to finish that volume? I can't really do anything about it, but I'm not stopping my own project because of it. We'll be continuing until the end regardless of how long that takes, and we'll hopefully be moving on to other FE4/5 projects (and I've already mildly spoken with my team translator about future projects, so they're still on the list). I've still got a whole collection of books I want to work on, but that's all after Oosawa and Yuna Takanagi's FE5 manga. Oosawa is priority until it's done (we started Yuna's FE5 manga before life thought it was being funny).

If you ever need to confirm if it's my team that did something, it will have a credits page at the end that says Fala Scans (which we put at the end of every chapter we work on).

• 2 months later...