FE4 (O-sawa Mitsuki) Manga Translation Continued (Chapter 70 up)

Jugdral Defender

Claud: "I don't think... I could embrace feelings like this toward my sister." Apparently the only person in this game/manga who feels this way :XD:

I loved all the relationships finally kind of getting wrapped up. I thought Oosawa's handling of the Midayle x Briggid x Dew triangle was so funny, and very indicative of what I felt playing the game, since Dew seems like the natural choice to by Patty's father and Midayle/Jamke like the natural choice to be Faval's father. She just did a great job of adapting this game to manga :)

I'm so interested to see who Oosawa keeps alive from gen one... it seems to me, because not enough of the children are born yet, that all the mothers need to stay alive except for Ayra. I guess we'll see!

Thanks again for taking on this project! Really enjoying it :)

Tbh I laughed about that with Claude. Like yeah honey you're kinda singled out there... except Sylvia's still your relative regardless.

I'm grateful she put as much of Claude and Sylvia as she could though considering they happen so late. I wish there had been more to it because it certainly feels rushed. Brigid's stuff is hilarious but she never gets a solid pairing decided during gen 1, and I feel like that's more based on the length of time she had in the story. Oosawa loves her romance for sure, and I'm sure given the time for it she would've made more confirmations instead of "OH BTW" in gen 2.

Spoiler I guess??? Idk ask the veteran down below.

I think Oosawa probably enjoyed the idea of the pirate/thief theme and that Patty is also a thief. I came to love Midir a lot more thanks to this manga, so it's a little disappointing for me that he gets nobody, then ends up MIA. I did personally feel content with the idea that she ended up with Midir and that he died between the gens or something and she wound up with Dew afterward, but gen 2 confirms Faval and Patty have the same father. That would've been a really nice way to wrap up the triangle though imo.

The fact that Oosawa made Sety younger than Leaf still makes me laugh. He's obviously not even born yet and Leaf is, and she also has an age chart at the end of volume nine for both gens. I mean, it makes sense with how late Fury and Levin got together (and she probably waited until her version of their conversation in chapter four), though I feel she easily could've found ways to pair them sooner.

I wanted to see bby Sety okay.

PAIN PAIN AND MORE PAIN.

The sweet moments in this chapter makes everything more painful because we know what's going to happen, I knew it would happen but I still got deeply attached to these characters, seeing my favorite pairings sink like Titanic is hurting my heart, ouch!

Sigurd's entire speech to tiny Celice how dare you! That hurt!

Also, as always, thanks for your wonderful job great translators, this great manga gives me life!

I agree so much though. I loved these characters to begin with but the manga really made me love them. Seeing all the war meetings and everyone's time in between the chapters that really shed light on the characterizations she gave them made them feel like they had so much more depth you unfortunately can't get in the game because of how old it is. I understand the game didn't have enough room for all that, and I'm grateful Oosawa put in extra elements from outside sources while putting her own spin on it.

Sometimes I really feel like the reason some people say they don't like this manga is because they didn't like the "stereotypical" pairing choices (which I did see someone say once), when really, when you look at how Oosawa did them, she paired many of them based on drama for gen 1, and gen 2 focuses a LOT more on family (thus Aira/Lex makes perfect sense because now we have more cousins and therefore more family situations). She paired them in a way that would advance the plot and make sense to the story, which since this is a manga, well... gameplay mechanics really don't matter.

I get the idea of being disappointed that Holyn and Beowulf got outted, but that really never hurt the story itself even once. I'd love to see how she would characterize them, and despite disliking Beowulf I doubt she'd make him a bad character or intentionally characterize him poorly. In terms of story and characterization, Oosawa put so much work into this manga that I'm like seriously, how can you not like it for all the detail and depth and emotion? I REALLY don't like some of the pairing choices in gen 2 and some I'm neutral on, but that never stopped me from loving this manga. I just have to suck it up to enjoy the rest of the manga. I didn't really enjoy the idea of Brigid/Dew tbh, but the way Oosawa put that into the story later was amazing imo.

Really hoping our releases speed up a little so we're not just doing once a month anymore. With the volumes getting shorter, obviously chapters are too, and I think I'm going to practice cleaning to help speed it along a little if the other two are busy or not feeling motivated (which understandably can be difficult if they have to clean a chapter they personally find more on the boring side). Not gonna rush our translator though, so we'll see how things go (and tbh it's actually never been him you guys were waiting on ah ha ha... He's always had his work done in advance. :P)!

Seeing actual manga discussion on this thread again makes me so happy. >3<

Edited by Jugdral Defender

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TEEEEE that's not a spoiler thoughhhh. I can put it under a tag but that's rly not baaaad.

IF YOU WANT SPOILERS I CAN GIVE ALL THE BIG RAWS--

but I like to save the most painful things for the most painful moments...

BUT PEOPLE LIKE TO SEE LITTLE THINGS IT MOTIVATES THEM FOR THE FUTURE.

Tbh I just nyoom when I discuss something and I think I don't know what people consider "spoilers", Fiiiin TEEEE. But yeah, if it's not a death mention (well, a manga plot relevant death or survival or something because we all know some of the deaths and MIAs from the game alone/itself) or... something? big like? that? I won't really personally consider it such hence the lack of tags. My plot senses are probably broken. If someone needs something in its little box you'll have to let me know if I didn't catch it. OTL

@JD - there are several people reading the manga that have not played the game at all, so yes, there are many spoilers in what you posted.

If I can find what I did with the files, would people be interested in the color pages that are not in the version being scannalated? I did that for the old translation project when I scanned my manga in, as I own all 3 print runs. Just let me know, and I can dig through my files for them (or re-scan them if I can't find them)

Is there really a point in spoiler warnings on a 20 year old game though? The manga really doesn't do much differently... although I was going to dub-translate the next chapter for April Fools until reading it and decided that might be in poor taste given that it's one of the few things Oosawa does handle a bit differently.

@Aquantis - I don't know how interested JD would be, but I'd personally love having raws of the color pages to scan in. Our edition doesn't have all of them and although I do own the artbook itself it's still missing a lot of content. Oosawa also likes to have pages completely centered which can make cleaning the colored raws a huge pain in the ass that isn't really worth my time with the scanners we own. If you still have the color files I'd be very interested in touching them up for my blog and a separate post in the thread since some of the art is beautiful. :)

Edited by ChildofDain

@JD - there are several people reading the manga that have not played the game at all, so yes, there are many spoilers in what you posted.

If you're reading this manga on SF of all places, most people would expect you've played the game (versus people who picked it up on a regular manga website, and this isn't a manga website). If not, you need to expect people to be making comparisons regardless since the game is its origin. And as Dain said, the game is almost twenty years old. Manga only spoilers are one thing, (and I'm pretty sure that's what TE was referring to) which is what I'm referring to, but these people here that I am discussing with know the game. Again, I get manga specific spoilers... but things that are blatant in the game are not that, and there aren't "many" in what I posted. Especially not things that are right on the holy blood charts that you can access with any of your units.

But yeah, if you're browsing forums or any websites in relation to a twenty year old game, there are going to be comments about it. Fire jokes in themselves are technically a "spoiler", and people have brought other things up. I enjoy making game and manga comparisons and discussing, and when I said "you'll have to let me know", I was referring to the manga, because there are things people don't have access to seeing yet, unlike the game.

In any case, I'm taking that topic to a more private session to weed it out.

Is there really a point in spoiler warnings on a 20 year old game though? The manga really doesn't do much differently... although I was going to dub-translate the next chapter for April Fools until reading it and deciding that might be in poor taste given that it's one of the few things Oosawa does handle a bit differently.

@Aquantis - I don't know how interested JD would be, but I'd personally love having raws of the color pages to scan in. Our edition doesn't have all of them and although I do own the artbook itself it's still missing a lot of content. Oosawa also likes to have pages completely centered which can make cleaning the colored raws a huge pain in the ass that isn't really worth my time with the scanners we own. If you still have the color files I'd be very interested in touching them up for my blog and a separate post in the thread since some of the art is beautiful. :)

And as I mentioned once before, major scenes like that that she handles her own way are things I haven't brought up. I'm talking about little things I don't notice that are manga related.

As far as colored pages go, I did not buy the deluxe version.

At Dain: It's not the scanner I have so much as it's that my books are binded. The scanner doesn't do well with not blurring the spine, but if I debinded it would certainly look okay. Unfortunately with what it cost me to get all the books to begin with, I'm not willing to spend that much money again just for the sake debinding. A few volumes maybe, but not the whole set.

At Dain: It's not the scanner I have so much as it's that my books are binded. The scanner doesn't do well with not blurring the spine, but if I debinded it would certainly look okay. Unfortunately with what it cost me to get all the books to begin with, I'm not willing to spend that much money again just for the sake debinding. A few volumes maybe, but not the whole set.

I meant mostly that Aquantis does have a better scanner that has less edge blur. The black and white pages we do are mostly fine without debinding (save for a few places where oosawa drew a face right down the middle but oh well) but I mostly just want the color pages for my blog archive and such to have them out there.

Edited by ChildofDain

I meant mostly that Aquantis does have a better scanner that has less edge blur. The black and white pages we do are mostly fine without debinding (save for a few places where oosawa drew a face right down the middle but oh well) but I mostly just want the color pages for my blog archive and such to have them out there.

Oosawa draws a lot of things down the middle unfortunately without leaving room. At least some of it looks hilarious. If I won't debind, I may as well laugh at the centered faces.

Colored pages, well, all I can do is try my best to press down and hope it gets most of it. I'd say I should've bought a spare of that one volume I REALLY pressed on to get it right, but it's already scanned so the book's already seen its time in the scanner.

I'm also thinking maybe we could have your artbook scanned and give it its own space. Even if it doesn't have everything, Oosawa's art is still great.

my old 'good' scanner (it scans things with little blur when off the bed) only works on my old desktop that has win 98 on it. It doesn't have the super high res of newer scanners (I think it's max is 600DPI), but the fact that something doesn't have to be completely flat to scan is what made me keep it even with the scratch on it's glass (it is about 1/2 down the glass too :( ). I can can't use it with my laptop with win 7, so I'll have to boot up my desktop to scan in anything I can't find.

I just have to figure out were I put those raw files to see what I need to re-scan (and at what res the old ones where scanned in at). It may take me awhile, but I'll start looking for those files since people seem interested in them.

I know I have the manga from the artbook Gekka Ginyu scanned in and translated (Requiem of Time). I don't remember if I have the whole art book scanned in or not, but I can scan that afterwards if no one else beats me to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 47 is up.

I'll be making very minor edits later (adding in a couple of sfx), and once those are done I'll upload the whole volume in a zip file.

Edit: And done!

Hope you all enjoyed your FE1 and FE9 anniversary because shit's gonna suck for the manga. :'D

No, we didn't actually plan for this to be so soon after the above. Actually, no, I kinda just went "o".

Sorry Cuan. Sorry Ethlin. This manga won't be the same without you baes.

I STILL BLAME FAIAAOUJI FOR PROOFREADING AND NOT TELLING ME THE FIRST PAGE WASN'T EXPORTED TO BE ZIPPED.
I'm impatient tho I just wanna get this stuff out.

But since it's little stuff for editing in I'm like nyeh. Here. Suffer. Look, pain. Agony. Ways to realize your dream.

I STILL BLAME FAIAAOUJI FOR PROOFREADING AND NOT TELLING ME THE FIRST PAGE WASN'T EXPORTED TO BE ZIPPED.I'm impatient tho I just wanna get this stuff out.

But since it's little stuff for editing in I'm like nyeh. Here. Suffer. Look, pain. Agony. Ways to realize your dream.

First Prince, now Cuan and Ethlin. Why must life be so cruel?

You know, based on the design notes, I think manga Trabant is closer to Kaga's intentions than what we saw at the game.

O-sawa has an amazing ability to take already sad moments in the game and just make them absolutely heartbreaking. I think we're in for a hell of a ride.

You know, based on the design notes, I think manga Trabant is closer to Kaga's intentions than what we saw at the game.

O-sawa has an amazing ability to take already sad moments in the game and just make them absolutely heartbreaking. I think we're in for a hell of a ride.

Oosawa used a lot of the outside game sources for this manga, so it's really all jumbled up between canon, notes, etc.

She jumps at opportunities for pain though, I swear.

I love how you call her Althena on one page then switch to Altenna.

Thanks for informing us~! Yeah, sometimes things can slip up while in the process of going through a chapter. We're trying to stick to one rendition of a name for each character as much as possible despite what we prefer to use; we also do this to avoid inconsistent flip-flopping between spellings every few pages (Eltshan/Elt vs Eltoshan/Elto).

We'll fix it once we get the free time to. We intend to use Altenna for the entirety of the manga. ^=^/

I've been reading up on the manga again now that its not on hiatus anymore. Good job guys!

It was a bit funny to see Dew get into a crisis over him probably not going to be Bridget's husbando :D: Also I think the last chapter addresses the idiocy of taking a baby with them by saying its a ''neutral zone''

With Reptor being the last villain standing that would mean Azel and Tiltyu will be getting some attention. That's great. Um...the two haven't hooked up together officially right? With the kids being send away they would probably have to hurry and get Arthur and Tinny out.

Am I the only one who found the more emotional face off between Lex and Langobalt a bit out of character? I thought it was the lack of emotion on Lex's part that strengthened his position as the black sheep who disliked and was disliked by his family. Out of the three noble Amigo's Lex was pretty okay with fighting his family and Langobalt seemed to object more to the principle of kin fighting kin rather then fighting Lex himself.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Personally I feel he's too soft in Oosawa's portrayal. In the games he's obviously very passionate about his country and in that sense he's a great person but he still laughed at their deaths because it was a great victory for him. I don't doubt he has his moments but I'd have liked to see him be a bit more ruthless. This is the man whose passions for Thracia's prosperity overrule everything in his mind, even his public perception. :)

I love how you call her Althena on one page then switch to Altenna.

There's no need to say it in a way that sounds so sarcastic, is there? Our translator uses Althena, so we probably made a mistake and left one in there. You can easily just point out there were two spellings without saying it like that. We've used Altenna previously in chapter 38, so it should be pretty clear it went unnoticed by the team.

I've been reading up on the manga again now that its not on hiatus anymore. Good job guys!

It was a bit funny to see Dew get into a crisis over him probably not going to be Bridget's husbando :D: Also I think the last chapter addresses the idiocy of taking a baby with them by saying its a ''neutral zone''

With Reptor being the last villain standing that would mean Azel and Tiltyu will be getting some attention. That's great. Um...the two haven't hooked up together officially right? With the kids being send away they would probably have to hurry and get Arthur and Tinny out.

Am I the only one who found the more emotional face off between Lex and Langobalt a bit out of character? I thought it was the lack of emotion on Lex's part that strengthened his position as the black sheep who disliked and was disliked by his family. Out of the three noble Amigo's Lex was pretty okay with fighting his family and Langobalt seemed to object more to the principle of kin fighting kin rather then fighting Lex himself.

Well, Yied IS a neutral zone. Ethlin just apparently decided that was an okay reason to bring a toddler with her in the middle of all this. Like, Ethlin, I love you, but that was the worst decision you made in your entire life and I don't need to know your entire life to know that, honey.

Azel and Tiltyu are covered in volume eight for a good chunk of it. I do believe they technically went "canon" in the manga already though during Aideen's marriage. As in, that basically set them in stone.

I think Oosawa was partly going by Azel and Lex's conversation post seizing Lubeck in the game? He wasn't really OKAY with it, but he knew what had to be done. Oosawa dramatizes everything she can though. I don't really like the way she wrote Trabant and dropped him into a love triangle that he never gets over, and while I don't not like the writing for it, the way she portrayed

Reptor in volume eight isn't like he was in the game at all.

You're not wrong in thinking some stuff is OOC though. As I mentioned, Oosawa dramatizes things. Andre wasn't exactly the same as his game counterpart either. Rather, she really just shows the more humane side of people and makes everything morally gray instead of standard good and evil, save Manfloy because you can't really redeem that guy no matter what his reasons started as.

Personally I don't mind the general concept of moral grayness and showing the more humane side of people, because the world rarely ever works in a binary. That being said, after some thought I would've liked to see Trabant being a little more callous. Not Manfloy-level douchebaggery but still putting an emphasis on his utilitarian mindset.

We'll fix it once we get the free time to. We intend to use Altenna for the entirety of the manga. ^=^/

And I intend to keep giving them a hard time by using Althena all the way ^-^ Though it makes easier to CTRL-F

There's no need to say it in a way that sounds so sarcastic, is there? Our translator uses Althena, so we probably made a mistake and left one in there. You can easily just point out there were two spellings without saying it like that. We've used Altenna previously in chapter 38, so it should be pretty clear it went unnoticed by the team.

NAME WARS

WHY AREN'T YOU USING ZIGLUDO

Edited by TheEnd

On 4/29/2016 at 10:00 PM, TheEnd said:

And I intend to keep giving them a hard time by using Althena all the way ^-^ Though it makes easier to CTRL-F

NAME WARS

WHY AREN'T YOU USING ZIGLUDO

I KNEW IT WAS YOUR EVIL INTENTION ALL ALONG. I KNEW IT. I FELT IT BOIL IN MY HOLY BLOOD. I WAITED FOR YOU TO POST BECAUSE I KNEW.

If we can all agree to me calling Alvis Hubby then we can use Zigludo. I can call Alvis Hubby, right? 😧

Zigludo and Hubby.

WHY AREN'T WE USING THOSE?

I KNEW IT WAS YOUR EVIL INTENTIONAL ALL ALONG. I KNEW IT. I FELT IT BOIL IN MY HOLY BLOOD. I WAITED FOR YOU TO POST BECAUSE I KNEW.

If we can all agree to me calling Alvis Hubby then we can use Zigludo. I can call Alvis Hubby, right? D:

Zigludo and Hubby.

WHY AREN'T WE USING THOSE?

I'm not against this but Diadora is still mah presh waifu Dx ...but I'll share her, she's got some good dedicated men.

Zigludo for the first half of Volume 9. Do it. THEN SERLIS.

Edited by FaiaaOuji

I'm not against this but Diadora is still mah presh waifu Dx ...but I'll share her, she's got some good dedicated men.

Zigludo for the first half of Volume 9. Do it. THEN SERLIS.

And then commit the ultimate sin: use the uber-localized names (Awakening-style).