Azure Striker Gunvolt coming to Steam with Extra Features, restored Dialogue

The DanMan

http://inticreates.com/azure-striker-gunvolt-steam/

Inti Creates has announced that Azure Striker Gunvolt will be released on Steam on August 28th. The game was first released exactly one year ago on the 3DS, and has a sequel on the way (though there has been no word of it since announcement).

That's all right and good, but you may be wondering what the "Salty" tag is doing there? Well...

They're giving the Steam version exclusive gameplay features.

There's a Time Attack mode and reportedly (according to the Mega Man Network; Inti doesn't list it) a Hard Mode difficulty option.

Feeling jealous yet?

They're also restoring the Japanese voice-overs. And they're translating the cut dialogue, a.k.a stuff that was in the Japanese 3DS version that was cut for whatever reason from the international release.

And as Inti emphasizes, that stuff is exclusive to the PC version.

I'm not happy about this. Not happy at all.

EDIT: Somebody asked on Facebook if the 3DS version will receive these updates. Inti confirmed that due to "space limitations", it won't.

Edited by The DanMan

Played the 3DS version a while back and loved it, one of my favorite games for sure

Thank fucking god they're translating the full script though

I won't even be able to play this but I'm glad they're doing it at all

The amount of cut stuff from the original version was just inexcusable, so I'm glad we're finally getting it

It does kinda suck that the 3DS version isn't getting the translated script, though. I mean, the Japanese version had it, so... why not? Doesn't quite make sense.

Sounds like they're being lazy or just flat out refuse to update the 3DS version.

Anywho, as someone who has the 3DS version, I'm not even mad.

Since this probably means the upgraded version will come to Xbox One and other consoles (singled that out due to hardware architecture and Inti appearing at MS's Gamescom conference), I'll probably be getting it.

But still... "space limitations?" It's a downloadable game, for goodness sakes! And there's no reason why the cut dialogue and Japanese voice-overs shouldn't be brought over; they were in the Japanese version.

PC only ? Not 3DS or anything ? Ah, give me a break... :/

I feel your unhappiness dude, it irritates me as well.

EDIT: Somebody asked on Facebook if the 3DS version will receive these updates. Inti confirmed that due to "space limitations", it won't.

Space limitations ? What the heck ? Is that even supposed to be a good reason ? C'mon...

Maybe it might be problematic to insert the removed stuff back into the 3DS version for whatever reason, but it would suit them to at least give an elaborate explanation on the issue instead of going all "Hey, look at all this stuff that we removed from the version that you already bought, suckers!" in order to get people to buy their port.

Although, considering that they are also not patching in the new features, my impression is that they simply don't give a damn since they already got our money.

Edited by BrightBow

Eh, companies do this all the time, so I'm not really fussed. For one, they need more reasons to entice gamers to buy the upgraded version--and what better way than exclusive features?

It would've been nice if they retroactively updated the 3DS version, but they have no obligations and TBH the extra features aren't strictly necessarily, considering most people enjoyed the 3DS version as is.

The "space limitations" excuse is definitely lazy, but I'd just blame the PR guy TBH. Maybe he/she has no idea how games are actually made, etc.

In any case, I'll be watching this with a mindful eye. Loved the original, but I don't have the budget to spend on games right now.

Big fan of the game on 3DS, nice to see that Steam users are getting a go at it as well. It's a shame that the 3DS version isn't getting the new features that the Steam release will though.

Cave Story is honestly an even bigger mess when it came to being ported to other consoles and having exclusive content.

It's not the exclusive modes; it's unsurprising they did that. What I'm not too happy about is that they are restoring mid-gameplay dialogue and Japanese voices, stuff that was cut from the international release. That stuff should've been there in the first place, and the "memory limitations" excuse for no patching seems to simply be bogus.

I'm probably going to buy it anyway, even though I have the 3DS version. The new features, the dialogue and Mighty Gunvolt makes up for it.

Inti Creates just confirmed at PAX that the 3DS version is getting the "full Japanese mode" as well.

Inb4 we try it and realise the mid-stage dialogue was pointless and not worth restoring : P

Well, that was the only part I actually cared about, so I'm really glad we're finally getting this! Looking forward to this a ton.

Inti Creates just confirmed at PAX that the 3DS version is getting the "full Japanese mode" as well.

Inb4 we try it and realise the mid-stage dialogue was pointless and not worth restoring : P

Saw that. It appears they've only confirmed Japanese voice acting so far, but one can still hope.

As for the mid-stage dialogue (and hopefully their restoring all those cut Joule convos), they provide a lot of characterization and worldbuilding. A lot of people probably don't care about it, but I do.

Though about 80% of it has already been translated, and the fan translators have mostly tackled the audio dramas already.

Long story short, the only truly essential mid-stage dialogue is during the true final boss.