Forging: What are your habits?

Forging.... one of the more interesting ways to give your units an advantage, by upgrading a weapon's stats (though not without paying coin, of course).

I find myself using this mechanic pretty often, as I enjoy just making certain weapons much stronger than before, and also giving said weapons a not so creative new name. Of course, this requires a ton of gold to do so, but I personally find it worth the trouble.

So, how often do you forge? How big are your adjustments to the weapons you forge? Do you also name your weapon?

Edited by Mark the Tactician

I rarely, if ever, forge. Probably because I might just up and decide I can't be arsed to use the weapon I forged.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I mostly do my forging in FE9/FE11. In FE9, I name the weapons after the Zodiac in latin (Ovis, Tigris, Canis, etc).

iirc, I do +10 Hit/Crit and +5 Mt in FE11. +3 Mt, +15 Crit/Hit in FE9.

Mt forging is more valuable, although I'll add a little Hit to inaccurate weapons. I rarely ever go over 5 Mt, after that it gets too expensive.

On the Tellius games and Awakening, I usually forge for weak characters who I want to bring with me (such as Marcia or Sumia), so they can be more useful.

I'm very moderate with it in Tellius, but in Awakening, if I have a character with Armsthrift, I forge all their equipment to Max MT and add either Hit or Crit depending on the weapon type and the unit.

The names I give are all stupid. I tend to name bows after Rolf (Such as the ROLFINATOR).

AND PINK TOMAHAWKS FTW!!!!

Path of Radiance: Mist gets a couple of forged swords, but that's about it.

Radiant Dawn: I forge weapons for those units that I take to endgame who don't get SS rank weapons (as much might as possible).

Awakening: Usually maximum might and the rest in critical.

On Shadow Dragon I always forge +5 wing spears and name them Win Spear

On Awakening I only use +5 Might +15 hit brave weapons on apotheosis. I also forge some things during the main game.

I haven't played Path of Radiance in a while, but I think I forge strong ranged weapons

Edited by Nobody

I never forge unless it is Awakening for Apo or I want to change the name of a weapon for my characters to have some what Prf weapons.(I did this for Hinoka and Camilla for my first IK run)

When I am forging for Apo, I tend to go Max Mt, then rest in Hit(Mainly for Dark Tomes)or Crit for some weapons like Brave Swords or Brave Lances.

I actually almost never did it.

In Awakening though, I renamed them and made some better in Hit and Mt, depending on what I needed most from the weapon. I also liked renaming them and sending them out via StreetPass, because otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered with renaming them.

Edited by Tragonight

FE9: Forged almost every map. Mt and Hit went up depending on price.

FE11: No forge, no reclass, no gaidens.

FE13: Rarely forged in plot. Made some forged braves for post-game stuff.

I only really forge for +Might.

FE6: I forge hammers with +hit so I can use them in Link Arena reliably.

FE9: I'll randomly forge things, like for Ike with 8 strength at level 14 will get his very own "Ike I will Kill You."

FE11: I forge every map since I usually get a special weapon like Killing Edge, Wing Spear, or Levin Sword.

FE13: Early game I forge things for units with E weapon ranks, mid game I forget about it, and late game I but braves for everyone and forge them.

I only really forge for +Might.

FE6: I forge hammers with +hit so I can use them in Link Arena reliably.

FE9: I'll randomly forge things, like for Ike with 8 strength at level 14 will get his very own "Ike I will Kill You."

FE11: I forge every map since I usually get a special weapon like Killing Edge, Wing Spear, or Levin Sword.

FE13: Early game I forge things for units with E weapon ranks, mid game I forget about it, and late game I but braves for everyone and forge them.

I'm pretty sure forging didn't exist in FE6....

FE9: Usually forge a thing every map, max Mt(and min Wt for tomes usually)

FE10: Lots and lots of forges, always max Mt but also some +Hit and even some +crit. Iron, Steel, 1-2 range, all the forging

FE11: Lots of Mt on some effective weapons(forged Wing Spear woo)

FE12: +Mt on a bow can be helpful for early chapters, a few points of Mt/Hit on some other effective weapons like Dragonpikes but money is kinda tight in this game

FE13: Not many forges, some +Mt if someone like Panne needs to start out with Bronze weapons and +Mt and Hit on Waste to kill Grima, lots of good drops make forges less useful.

Edited by -Cynthia-

FE9: 1-2 range weapon forges until I get Silvers then I just spam those. Generally every map since forging was cheap.

FE10: I think I forged like a max might steel sword for Mia and a max might weapon for Marcia

FE11: Win Spear/Ridersbanes/Wyrmslayers whenever I can afford them. Oh and probably a forged javelin of some kind early game.

FE12: Dragonpikes whenever I can afford them

FE13: No forges, I needed all the money I could get in Lunatic/L+ and didn't care enough on Hard

Everything was max might since I didn't want to jack up the prices more.

Edited by Batter the Beast

I forge effective weapons like a mad man in FE11; not so much forging in the other games.

Edited by Refa

Early game lightning tomes with +Hit in FE10. Really, if there are any characters that miss a lot and I need them to do consistent damage at certain points in the game, the Forge becomes a good option.

Edited by sithys

• 2 weeks later...

PoR/RD : Forges for the bad units I'm compelled to train in my stupid challenges, or for the good units to boost them even further. (let's say forging a paper-weight Iron Lance for Fiona ISN'T fun, alright?)

SD : Win spear.

FE12 : Wyrmkiller weapons and a steel bow or an Iron bow.

FE13 : I only forged once in a "LTC" run with no-buyable rescues and no-duos. I had to forge a beastkiller for Pheros, and a strong Silver Lance and Silver Sword for Sully to kill most of the stuff.

FE9: I forge with impunity for units that im favoring. You get so much coin in that game, might as well. Mostly high hit and might because i usually forge throw weapons.

FE10: I rarely forge unless its to help Jill get off the ground with a good axe. (full of might)

FE13: I usually only forge bronze stuff with decent balance of all three traits for units like Lissa to get going with.

FE11 and 12 I remember distinctly forging max mt on Javelins

I also forged max crit Kleine's bow whenever I get the chance for an instant unit deletion button on Snipers--I was lucky and rolled like, 3 of those bows in my first run of 12L and hell i was not passing that up no way

13 i didn't really feel the need to forge until like, grima because enemies are too busy being dead

Edited by Thor Odinson

I like to forge just to change the weapon names. Sometimes I don't even change the stats, I just love giving my weapons names (and changing their colours in Radiant Dawn). I have stuff like the Master Sword, various Pokémon moves as spells. Legendary weapons from previous names, and silly jokes.

Also changing names is free in Awakening so no worries there.

Edited by Glitchy