Sprites by Circles

circleseverywhere

I love a lot of the concepts of these, but most of your sprites feel unfinished due to lack of shading.

Oh, okay. I don't think any of them are really "finished", but out of the ones I'm no longer actively working on, which ones still need extra shading?

WYv5Kdx.png

Adam

8xl0UCq.png

Cinder

W6gZEIU.png

Torchwick

QGlWhCe.png

Emerald

NWoCiSU.png

Mercury (still not happy with it, but I'm sick of looking at him)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I overlooked some of the more recent edits. Anyway:

Adam could use a tad more in his hair and definitely on his body. His neck is a bit sloppy yet, and the blacks on his shirt could use more contrast.

Cinder is okay, her hair is blocky though. Neck is kinda awkward too. Her iris could use more definition.

Torchwick is okay too, but his far eye could use some work.

Emerald could use some more shading on the face and body, also her hair is extremely desaturated.

Mercury's folded collar could use work and his hair is pillow shaded. I'm also unsure of what's going on with the shoulders.

I've come to the conclusion it's not so much the lack of shading, more of the how it's shaded. A lot of area's are kinda blocky (mostly in the hairs), which can be lessened by AAing. This is why I thought they were all undershaded. I grabbed Cinder's face as an example.

So yea, strong concepts, just try to AA more and try to strengthen some contrasts. PM me if you need more help.

Edited by Yoshi

• 2 weeks later...

More polishing on Yang V2.

pXBxXKJ.png

Weiss got a hair ornament, collar bones, and a new eye colour.

bZA0Bw2.png

Ruby has a tweaked face shape and better shading.

elP9UV2.png

Qrow's streaks of grey hair look a bit weird. Couldn't really reference any existing mugs for it, the only character with salt-and-pepper hair is Duessel and that's only around the temples.

s5XTiO1.png

Does anybody else notice that spriting causes eye strain much faster than normal computer use? Especially when I zoom out to 1x to check how I'm doing.

More polishing on Yang V2.

pXBxXKJ.png

Weiss got a hair ornament, collar bones, and a new eye colour.

bZA0Bw2.png

Ruby has a tweaked face shape and better shading.

elP9UV2.png

Qrow's streaks of grey hair look a bit weird. Couldn't really reference any existing mugs for it, the only character with salt-and-pepper hair is Duessel and that's only around the temples.

s5XTiO1.png

Does anybody else notice that spriting causes eye strain much faster than normal computer use? Especially when I zoom out to 1x to check how I'm doing.

The last guy is pretty cool, but I think his shoulder needs to be shaded a bit more like it's round instead of flat.

Also, yes I completely agree; spriting can definitely be hard on the eyes. (not as hard as reading a white-background page for long periods of time, but definitely hard on the eyes at times.)

(not as hard as reading a white-background page for long periods of time, but definitely hard on the eyes at times.)

Really? I find dark background pages to be much more painful on the eyes...

But yeah spriting is definitely kinda harsh if you do it for too long, depending on your layout, what program you use, what zoom level you work at, and what colors you're using... Using oversaturated colors at all, especially, is going to equal pain; thankfully most people aren't insane enough to use MSPaint defaults in their sprites. But like, Ruby's red or Yang's yellow, I can definitely see them hurting the eyes if you're zoomed in and staring at them for too long. Ouch.

Edited by Ritisa

pET4tLc.png

Here's the somewhat anachronistic Coco! Her minigun is now a Brave Ballista, allowing her to annihilate enemies with ease at the cost of low mobility and complete lack of enemy phase.

I know the ruffles are a mess. I have no idea what I'm doing and nothing to reference :/

cYRkfVW.png

And yeah, Yang's yellow was a bit too searing. I've gone back to the old shade and reduced the use of the border colour.

• 1 month later...

Is this how it naturally looks when inserted into GBA? Because if so, I think it might be too fluid. By too fluid I mean that with that sort of smoothness, you don't get much of an impact or oomph when the weapon lands on the opponent.

It's good to see you back at this!

Also yeah 3D animation guidelines work wonders for creating anims like this, both spritework and general 2D. It saves a lot of guesswork on the in-between because the keyframes do it for you. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this method!

When the scythe spins it looks like it hits the ground. Maybe you can make it so that when the scythe's blade hits the ground, dirt will splash where the scythe hit the ground?

That's just a trick of perspective, it doesn't actually touch the ground:

XgJ7ljA.png

I might add a dirt splash to the crit though. Dirt splashes are fun.