Dungeons & Emblems - A Multiplayer Fire Emblem Table Top / Google Sheets RPG!

TacticsEmblem

HELLO SERENES FOREST!

TacticsEmblem here to give you guys an introduction to a project I have been working on all summer.

Dungeons & Emblems is a multiplayer Fire Emblem I crafted in Excel and Google Sheets. It has been no easy task, but I finally wrote enough information to actually play the game!

New features are often being added, so expect expansion packs.
Here are some of the features in this game so far:

• 56 jobs, each with three ranks, distributed between 7 classes: Soldier, Mercenary, Occultist, Mystic, Outlaw, Performer, and Noble.
  • 7 types of physical arms: Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Knife, and new Caestus and Staff (for healers to bonk their enemies with).
  • 8 types of magic spells: Staff, Fire, Wind, Water, Thunder, Light, Darkness, and Geomancy.
  • 2 types of performance: Song and Dance
  • Many Heavy Armors, Light Armors, Shields, Boots, and Accessories
  • 20 personality types, each offering a unique set of bonuses for support units
  • 175 Skills
  • 17 status ailments, more ways to inflict them, and RNG rolls to do so
  • Neat experience table
  • 50 levels of character growth

Features coming soon (once I recover the info from my HDD):

• Monsters, some actually original, most borrowed from myth, legend, literature, and other games.
  • An original world map
  • Some mostly original characters
  • 2 types of crafting, Alchemy and Enchantment
  • 4 types of summon spells: Necromancy, Demonology, Hagiology, and Animation

Changes and Omissions (based on features found in GBA and GC versions of Fire Emblem):

• No character constitution or weight, and therefore no rescuing or shoving
  • No biorhythm
  • No Laguz
  • Magic stat renamed to Intelligence, Skill stat renamed to Dexterity, Resistance shortened to Resist
  • Items like Vulnerary can be used on units, rather than used BY them (think Final Fantasy Tactics)
  • Spell tomes don't degrade if they miss.
  • Difference in experience award between mere survival/missing and avoiding, and between killing and one-hit killing
  • Physical damage weapons with elemental attributes

That's all I can think of right now.

I'm interested in questions, comments, and concerns anyone might have about this project.
I have been working pretty hard on it, and it's still being tested and developed, so any volunteers would be appreciated.

I'll post some files later, maybe in an hour so hang tight.

Alright, here is a link to where the files are.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1KgMHIQYW-yfmRvc1lMNzJMUTVkZ3d6cW1ZaUw2NkdZRko1TmpTMUEwRTJRYzgxZ0VrdG8&usp=sharing

Be sure to check out Rules if you want more details. I tried to be as complete as possible, but it is still very early and I haven't had many players unfamiliar with Fire Emblem asking me for clarity.

I'm going to start describing some of game features in more detail.

CLASSES
The seven classes (and number of jobs within which) are:
Soldier (5): They form the legions that serve crowns. They depend on formation, numbers, strong armors, shields, and weapons. Some are mounted, some use magic. They are mostly similar to the Knight/General/Great Knights of Fire Emblem GBA.
Mercenary (5): They are generally commoners who learned martial arts outside of the cities. They generally stick to one weapon type, though some can wield them all. They wear light armor, including some of the more advanced pieces. They include Archer, Fighter, and SellSword (Myrmidon equivalent), etc.
Occultist (6): Students of arcana who follow traditional teachings. They use magic to fight. They are most similar to Mage, Monk, Shaman, Priest, etc.
Mystic (7): Seekers of hidden knowledge who travel across the lands and even into difference planes. Some can summon monsters to fight for them, and some can fight on their own. Closest to Summoner and Necromancer, otherwise an original class.

Hunter (8): Trained battlers who specialize in deadly attacks. Some of them are professional monster slayers, others are trained to quickly kill humans. The closest equivalent to hunter would be the Swordmasters and Breserkers for their critical bonus, otherwise this is an original class.
Outlaw (8): Societal outcasts whose violent, selfish, deceptive, and greedy ways warranted rejection. Many are organized criminals. There is variety in how they operate, but they almost always value treasure over justice. Thief, Pirate, Brigand, and Assassin are all part of this class.
Performer (4): These ones like to take it easy, but when in battle they can be very entertaining and supportive. Some of them provide bonuses for allies, others specialize in attacking from range. Dancer/Bard is included in this class, but as separate and distinct jobs.
Noble (13): Rich, honored, educated, the Nobles are the only ones allowed to become actual Knights, of which there are many varieties. The more intellectual ones are very talented magicians. Paladin, Mage Knight, Pegasus Knight, Wyvern Knight, etc. are all part of this class, as well as Pupil.

A lot of jobs are renamed, like the Dark Mage instead of Shaman, and ArchMage instead of Sage. The four of these are totally different jobs.

Edited by TacticsEmblem

EQUIPMENT
This is not too different from how it was before. The weapon triangle is the same Sword beats Axe beats Lance beats Sword. The main difference is that there are crosiers that staff users can cause physical damage with, and caestus. For those who don't know, Caestus are fist weapons, they are close ranged, and I gave them increased critical hit rate.

Weapon subtypes are:
Sword, Great Sword, Rapier

Lance, Pike, Javelin

Axe, Great Axe, Thrown Axe

Knife, Dagger, Thrown Knife

Bow, Great Bow, Long Bow

Caestus, Claws, Katar
and Crosier is the melee subtype staff.
Weapon materials are rank E through S: Bronze, Iron, Steel, Silver, Gold, and Diamond.

Magic has a more complicated scheme for advantage and disadvantage. Water and wind have disadvantage against each other, and Fire and Water have advantage against each other. Fire has full advantage over Wind and Thunder. Thunder has full advantage over water. FWWT (Fire, Wind, Water, Thunder) magic has advantage over Light, Light beats Darkness, and Darkness beats FWWT. Geomancy and Staff magic are not participants in any advantage scheme. Moreover, Geomancy checks the users magic stat and the targets defense stat for damage, so it is special in that regard.

Bardic Music is a way to increase the stats of allies and attack enemies, which Dancing is used to allow allies to move again and afflict the enemies.
They are still under development, but there is enough information for Dancers and Poets (Bard's first rank) to be viable characters at least until the Poet or Bard reaches B rank where the instrument list drops off.

Shields and Heavy armor are used to provide big defense bonuses to units like Soldiers and Knights. Some familiar items like Hoplon Guard/ Iron Rune and Fili Shield/ whatever equivalent are now considered shields. Light armor is not as effective at providing protection, but can provide other bonuses than defense and resist.
Boots are now equipment that modifies the way a unit moves. This is quite straightforward. One can be useful to more than one character, but they cannot stack like the Swiftsole could in Sacred Stones (don't you love getting multiple Swiftsoles and stacking them on L'Archel or Lyon though?).
Accessories are the final equipment type. They provide bonuses to stats or other things, and are pretty straightforward as well.

I guess I could quickly mention items. There are some familiar recovery items, and there are a whole bunch of items for curing status ailments. I broke down the stat growth rate items into a bunch of different ones of varying potency, but the base stat increase items are mostly the same but with different names to prevent armor, shield, and accessory confusion (I'm looking at you, Angelic Robe, Energy Ring, Dracoshield, and Talisman).

hopefully this is a better fit~

Thank you so much, Uncle G.!

You do realize there is no character limits to post. I think the only thing stopping someone from posting the Lord of the Rings is the will to write it. Anyways, is there character perma-death or no?

I do realize the lack of character limit. At the time I was trying to expedite the exposition of information, without risk of losing the information to computer problems that I am plagued with currently.

PERMADEATH

So, just like any computer information, you can backup the files and reload them. For this game, that would mean inserting a character into another timeline.

There are some magic spells that have power to prevent permanent death, resurrecting the character as the human they once were, or as the race of a summoned monster, e.g. your dead paladin can be restored by a necromancer, but he will become undead. If your healer casts a spell to prevent death, after your paladin is killed he will be restored to life.

If you have more questions, I'll try to answer them when I return.

Reading through the Support tab...

SEX is awarded at the end of the battle.

After enough SEX is gained, compatible units will converse and gain a Support rank.

Hilarious when taken out of context :D.

Seems interesting. Still going through everything. Is there a story to go along with the RP?

Ummm... Wha? So if I die, my character is dead, but another version of them takes their place? Or they become a zombie? Huh? I think you need to rephrase that a bit.

It's basically the same character, but as a different race. For example, if you were human, died, then were returned as an undead by a Necromancer, your race changes from Human to Undead. The Bishop's Cleansing will hurt you more, but you also can get some advantages, so it's not really supposed to be too terrible of a thing. It's better than being perma-dead.
You can also be brought back as angel or demon, depending on who is returning you. I haven't determined the timing of most resurrections, though I have written that a Staff that resurrects must be used on the target before it dies in order to bring it back unchanged immediately. The effect of that staff lasts until the end of the next enemy phase, so if that does not feel long enough, let me know and I'll boost the S ranks.

Reading through the Support tab...

Hilarious when taken out of context :D.

Seems interesting. Still going through everything. Is there a story to go along with the RP?

Haha, yeah I can be clever.

The story isn't completely fleshed out, but essentially it is a classic Fire Emblem plot of "big empire suddenly decides to go to war with neighbor kingdom, and fugitive royal attempts to reclaim home." I'm going to tell you right now, I'm heavily drawing from Sacred Stones and I'm not ashamed.

I would like to submit an application please.

Okay great. I additionally need the following information about your character:
Name
Personality
Alignment

For personality (Support Tab of Rule Book), either you or I can roll d20, you could tell me one you like, or tell me what traits your character is going to have and I'll pick the best match.
Note that I never mentioned anything about alignment in the rules. I just thought of it a few days ago to fill up some empty cell on the character sheet.
You know the drill: lawful, neutral, or chaotic + good, neutral, or evil.

It does seem to have a lot that does abstract it from standard Fire Emblem, though.

Indeed it does. I think the biggest thing is there not being a truly set story line. There's a main plot, but the character's don't even have to respond - they can stay in town and make a living at the arena for all I care. The arena is not just for exploiting your way to high cash and ex anymore! It's a way of life.

Erm, not to snark, but if that's the case... why not just simply let our characters be KO'ed and survive? Or at least give them a survival safety net since the RNG goddess screws all? Like, say, if a character's HP drops to 0 they have 2 turns to be 'rescued' at which point they live on? Any longer and they become a zombie and the like?

Course, that's just a spitball idea. I'm interested in this.

Because this is D&D inspired, or I would assume it is based on the title of "Dungeons & Emblems". When you die in D&D you can be revived, albeit with some weird side effects. ie: Last session our Barbarian got crushed by a 20x20ft spider, while it was lit on fire I might add, after it had its leg chopped off because had climbed up a wall and ate our floating Turtle/Immortal wizard. She was resurrected as a Satyr after the battle.

Because this is D&D inspired, or I would assume it is based on the title of "Dungeons & Emblems". When you die in D&D you can be revived, albeit with some weird side effects. ie: Last session our Barbarian got crushed by a 20x20ft spider, while it was lit on fire I might add, after it had its leg chopped off because had climbed up a wall and ate our floating Turtle/Immortal wizard. She was resurrected as a Satyr after the battle.

But that's D&D where a wizard can end up boasting 720 STR at level 1 with the right build IIRC.

So if I understand, you have a set of rules that can be used by evryone and you want people to test it out, give feed back etc. ? If it's the case i'm interested ! I'm really temtped to stay in my zone of comfort for my character but i will try to change it.

Name : Alceste

Personnality : Fire (rolled a D20)

Alignement : chaotic good.

is that good ?

I will not write the backstory for now since i need the setting and to know what job the character will have but i think i will make him a poet because it's the classe that need the more balancing and thus testing.

Edited by Izhuark

Okay great. I additionally need the following information about your character:

That was more a joking way I was saying I was interested, and that geomancy is a selling point. I'm actually going to wait for more information on the setting and such before I actually make a character.

why not just simply let our characters be KO'ed and survive? Or at least give them a survival safety net since the RNG goddess screws all? Like, say, if a character's HP drops to 0 they have 2 turns to be 'rescued' at which point they live on? Any longer and they become a zombie and the like?

Course, that's just a spitball idea. I'm interested in this.

There would have to be repercussions to getting KO'd, like exiting the battlefield, then coming back next chapter with lower growth rates to account for your injury.

I could see there being a window of opportunity to rescue your dying unit, but I am concerned about movement. For example, if a General is blocking a narrow passageway, and he dies, the enemy should be able to stand on his square to keep attacking. Perhaps he will just lay there until someone adjacent can restore him. I think that will work, in which case I will make "Dying" into a status ailment like it in is Final Fantasy Tactics, and change all death defying spells to remove that status.

>Any longer and they become a zombie and the like?
Bingo. I had already thought of this. As the body decomposes, your necromancer will lose options of bringing back the unit. If you wait so long, they will only be able to come back as Ghost. You will always need the body, so if you flee the battle without recovering, you have to go back and find it - maybe in a tomb or graveyard. :Knoll:

Oersquirrel is right. I will definitely give grace to players and try to keep it interesting. If anything, death and stuff give you more quests to do, and things don't always happen as quickly. Keep in mind that in FE9 a year passed before Ike returned to Crimea. That's close to how long it takes for your dead friend to go from skeleton to ghost, and you'll have more time if he has a proper burial.

So if I understand, you have a set of rules that can be used by evryone and you want people to test it out, give feed back etc. ? If it's the case i'm interested ! I'm really temtped to stay in my zone of comfort for my character but i will try to change it.

Name : Alceste

Personnality : Fire (rolled a D20)

Alignement : chaotic good.

is that good ?

I will not write the backstory for now since i need the setting and to know what job the character will have but i think i will make him a poet because it's the classe that need the more balancing and thus testing.

Yes! thank you Izhuark!
Okay, I'll add you to the roster soon.
I don't know if it will make the Poet too powerful, but I want the Poet's Perform ability to be an area of effect around the Poet. The easiest way to balance the Poet would be to put one on the enemy team or increase enemy levels/equipment quality, so I'm not too concerned about it breaking the game.
We will play with this new rule.
Also, in order to have the setting I need enough characters. We have two or three for now, so I think I have a good idea for setting already.

That was more a joking way I was saying I was interested, and that geomancy is a selling point. I'm actually going to wait for more information on the setting and such before I actually make a character.

If that's the case, AnonymousSpeed, I'll arrange that you are a recruitment after we establish the setting. Before I do that, I'm going to run errands and give another chance for someone to hop in with us for the first chapter / prologue.

I am comfortable beginning with Izhuark at level 1.

My character:
Name: Fafalel
Job: SellSword

Personality: 5 - Fire (lol)

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Okay, I have to run some errands, but I will return soon.

If that's the case, AnonymousSpeed, I'll arrange that you are a recruitment after we establish the setting. Before I do that, I'm going to run errands and give another chance for someone to hop in with us for the first chapter / prologue.

Ooh, having people join after the start of the adventure, that's always something I like. I have a character in mind, I'll just wait a bit then.

I discovered in my tests that Fog of War vision rules are flawed. I'm going to change the name of the stat from "Line of Sight" to "Dark Sight," and balance it for all classes.

Ooh, having people join after the start of the adventure, that's always something I like. I have a character in mind, I'll just wait a bit then.

That is also a way to restore a player to the game if their character is killed and lost, so perma-death is not a ban from the game.

Here is a link to the folder where character sheets exist. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pZKJItcuA4uwwkxKfnybIkUcC5FiNdgu1Tl1AqXMFqM
I think I wrote in Character Creation that to determine random growth rate modifiers for player characters, there are d6 rolls multiplied and converted into percentage.

I think the rules suggested 5x dice result, but for more balance and less RNG screwed characters, we could reduce it. I'm thinking 3x or 4x. If you guys want to vote on it.

For luck modifier I'm rolling a d20.
For 1-9, result = bonus to base luck. For 11-19, result - 10 = bonus to base luck. 10 = 0 bonus, and 20 = 10 bonus.

I rolled a 13 so my starting luck is 1 + 3 = 4

Also, concerning dice rolls:
Do the players want to roll their own or have me roll for everything?
I'm comfortable either way.

For those without dice, I suggest Dice v2.2 RPG Dice Roller by Zsolt Nagy: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dice-roll/

Edited by TacticsEmblem

Here what i got from rolling growth and luck myself : Alceste

I used 5x on my role growth but can easily changed if you will to. I think it's maybe a little too much but it's funny to have a character with no growth behind 47 and 97 in res x)

You can reroll those stats if you want to, I don't really care since mines are really funny looking (In normal time i would let the GM do the rolls or make them in front of him but this time it's a little different so i let you decide).

I would have wanted a way to randomize base a bit nonetheless because i think everyone will not start with the same base even if their are of the same job... maybe a modifier with the personality ? (for example a fire affinity could have +1 strengh +1 speed -1 Defense -1 Res to his bases ?)

Anyway I want to know what do you think of it. Ah and how will you organise yourself for the game ? Will you do a game thread like the others rp on the forum or take a more tabletop trend and play on roll20 ?

Edited by Izhuark

I used 5x on my role growth but can easily changed if you will to. I think it's maybe a little too much but it's funny to have a character with no growth behind 47 and 97 in res x)

You can reroll those stats if you want to, I don't really care since mines are really funny looking (In normal time i would let the GM do the rolls or make them in front of him but this time it's a little different so i let you decide).

I would have wanted a way to randomize base a bit nonetheless because i think everyone will not start with the same base even if their are of the same job... maybe a modifier with the personality ? (for example a fire affinity could have +1 strengh +1 speed -1 Defense -1 Res to his bases ?)

Anyway I want to know what do you think of it. Ah and how will you organise yourself for the game ? Will you do a game thread like the others rp on the forum or take a more tabletop trend and play on roll20 ?

5x is fine. As long as everyone is calculating d6 x5 for stat growth bonus, I'll be able to construct a challenging campaign that is not unfair for anyone.

It does get silly, like a level 1 Joker with over 100% in dexterity and speed, 55% luck, but 30% in every other stat.

There is always a way to balance, like dropping stat or growth up items for weaker chars.

I also believe in mulligan rules for blank level ups. If there is a blank level, simply reroll.

Personality to determine base stats is a great idea. I will work on that. My main concern is for units with 0s in Magic, Resist, or Luck. I could probably exclude those stats.

I'll learn Roll20 and see if that's what I want.

I am comfortable keeping it in a thread here, so long as it does not bother others. I draw maps in google sheets, which has been my primary method of graphically represent online play.

maybe a modifier with the personality ? (for example a fire affinity could have +1 strengh +1 speed -1 Defense -1 Res to his bases ?)

I finished this last night. I had to first construct a graph to make it work Bonuses and penalties to base stats from personality are listed in the support tab.

Alceste should have base stats modified: Str+1, Spe+1, Int-1, Res-1.

I'm almost finished writing the full stats for every job. I think there are only Outlaws and Nobles left. After than I'm going to begin redesigning the musical instruments, try to finish Dances, and start working on summoned monsters again. Doing all of this should allow players to make the most informed decisions about their characters without them starting to play the game.

Sooo... If I'm doing this right?

Name: Alistia

Personality: Gem

Alignment: Lawful Neutral.

Hahaha

That's all good.

Next you should decide your job, roll 1d20 for your base luck modifier, and roll 8d6 for base stat modifiers. Let me know results and I can make you a sheet.

So... Job: Noble/Mage Knight

Base Luck Modifier: 20 (I'm dead serious. The D&D Dice Roller gave me a natural 20)

Roll(1d20)+0:

20,+0
Total:20
NOTES
-------------------------
This field records your latest roll at its top.
Modified results that would produce a number less than one display as one.

Base stat modifiers: 33 or 2, 3, 4, 6, 2, 5, 6, 5. Don't know which you're looking for directly.

Roll(8d6)+0:

2,3,4,6,2,5,6,5,+0
Total:33
NOTES
-------------------------
This field records your latest roll at its top.
Modified results that would produce a number less than one display as one.