Opinion about prepromotes

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use prepromotes?

• quite a lot
    • only in emergency cases (as back up unit)
    • only on higher difficulties
    • only if a first unit same class turns out badly
    • never
  2. 2. What's more important?

• bases
    • growths
    • both equally
    • depends on the situation

Recently I was involved in a discussion about the (un)usefulness of a prepromoted unit. I argued that I prefer growths over bases.

In most cases prepromoted units have:

+ decent bases

+ good weapon level

- lower bases than a rised level 1 unit of the same class

- worse growths

However in FE9 prepromoted units have average or below average base stats, but great weapon level combined with good up to amazing growths. Their growthrates will equalize their low bases later on.

Except on higher difficulties I try to avoid using prepromotes as much as I can. The only exceptions are some units in FE9, Percival in 6 and Seth in two chapters in 8.

I go for bases in the early game, but for growths in the long run.

PS: I'm not a LTC player.

I normally don't use prepromotes unless it's an emergency or I really like their design, personality or backstory (even if it's a higher difficulty I would still use them if I liked them). I also think that which is more important between growths and bases depends on the situation.

I use units based on personality, and to an extent aesthetic. Both tend to favour prepromotes. The fact that they're stronger units doesn't hurt. FE is always hardest at the start, anyway - and that's when the prepromotes you have are killing machines.

I use units that i think are good regardless of them being pre promotes or not. I don't treat pre promoted any differently than i treat other units. I think that "fear" of using pre promotes is a thing you get over with when you start playing on harder difficulties, because they really help there, specially the ones in the oifey archertype. Hector Hard Mode without Marcus is way harder, and same about H5 without Jeigan or Maniac Path of Radiance without Titania.

Edited by Nobody

But I don't want to waste experience on pre-promoted units...

I try only to use them to weak enemies in early game so first tier units can get the kill exp..

FE is always hardest at the start, anyway - and that's when the prepromotes you have are killing machines.

That's why I think bases are more important in early game, but growths later on because a rised first tier unit will outclass a prepromoted unit statwise.

I use units that i think are good regardless of them being pre promotes or not. I don't treat pre promoted any differently than i treat other units. I think that "fear" of using pre promotes is a thing you get over with when you start playing on harder difficulties, because they really help there, specially the ones in the oifey archertype. Hector Hard Mode without Marcus is way harder, and same about H5 without Jeigan or Maniac Path of Radiance without Titania.

Yeah, that's where the bases of the prepromotes are crucial.

Surviving FE6 + 7's early game on HM without using Marcus is very hard; in 6 almost impossible.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

I find training your own units more satisfying than using the ones the game gives you in general.

But I also wants to use units I like. I will always use Pent instead of Erk in FE7 for example, because I don't like Erk's personality, and the difference between the two isn't that high (Erk having high chances of being stats screwed.)

Growths needs to be quite high to be truly relevants.

Edited by Tamanoir

Didn't vote, but I use the characters I like. So if they happen to be a prepromote, I'll use them.

This. I guess I tend to not use them since I like to have the units with me that I trained up, but if I see someone I like and they happen to be a prepromote, I'll use them.

I prefer pre-premotes because they usually have good bases and this makes strategizing easier. Though as a whole, I would take a tier 1 unit with good bases and bad growths over a tier 2 unit with bad bases and good growths.

I'm gonna say both bases and growth rates are important but growth rates make a good pre promote for me.

It's why I like using units like Frederick or Titania. They can be useful throughout the entire game cause of the growths they have.

I prefer having base stats on a prepromote. Their job is to fill in the holes that my unpromoted units didn't fill, and even if they fall off later I want to get some immediate use out of them. I prefer growth units as the long-term winners.

At least in Fates (Nohr), you won't really feel guilty about letting prepromotes take kills on early chapters on Hard.

Some chapters, like 10, you won't even be able to rout the map anyway unless you used a prepromote just because the enemy influx is so high. You don't get an actual prepromote until later like 4 chapters in anyway, so by then, you'll be wishing you had your Jeigan. :P

This is the pecking order I use.

Personality>base stats>growth rates..... I want to throw availability in the pecking order list, but I am not sure where. I mean, there is a certain prepromote in RD who has good bases..... but that character is gone for 3/4 of the game which makes me not want to use that character.

On first/blind playthroughs though, I usually DONT use prepromotes.

Edit: I am bad at grammar sometimes :(

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

The term "pre-promote" basically means nothing to me these days except "I don't need to use a promotion item on this unit." Whether they are good or bad and whether I like using them or not are infinitely more important factors.

I usually use prepromotes as a sort of back-up; only fielded if there's enough space on my team, mainly used to help out the rest of the team in difficult situations.

But it depends. I usually avoid fielding certain prepromotes (like most prepromotes in FE1, except Wendell and Gotoh), but others are eligible candidates for my team (Gotoh, Zeke, Mycen, Sirius, Quan, Seth).

I prefer growths over bases, but I care more about averages than bases/growths.

I have this aversion to prepromotes, and probably always have. I also never promote before level 20. Effectively, I squeeze as much stat out of my units as possible...because I can. Since I don't play attention to bases that much (read: am a scrub), I would have to say I prefer growths.

Someone mentioned FE9's prepromotes...I think those are the ones who are most often on par with a fully trained unit, actually.

I try not to use pre-promotes if I can, but if some have decent bases and aren't hogging experience from my other units, then I might.

I prefer growths to bases in the long-term, and bases to growths in the short-term. Both are important to me, but it depends on the situation. I try not to use Jeigans as often as possible.

Using them a lot, they make maps easier and usually it's easier for growth units to improve when prepromotes are around than without, so I rarely see a reason to avoid low-growth units before the other units are good (and even then, prepromotes aren't auto-unfielded since they can ferry units around or do filler combat).