Opinion about prepromotes

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use prepromotes?

• quite a lot
    • only in emergency cases (as back up unit)
    • only on higher difficulties
    • only if a first unit same class turns out badly
    • never
  2. 2. What's more important?

• bases
    • growths
    • both equally
    • depends on the situation

This is the pecking order I use.

Personality>base stats>growth rates..... I want to throw availability in the pecking order list, but I am not sure where. I mean, there is a certain prepromote in RD who has good bases..... but that character is gone for 3/4 of the game which makes me not want to use that character.

On first/blind playthroughs though, I usually DONT use prepromotes.

Edit: I am bad at grammar sometimes :(

Out of curiosity, who?

I generally use chatacters I like, but if I'm trying to play relatively quickly (I don't even approach LTC levels) I tend towards prepromotes and unpromoted units with good bases since they can usually snowball into usefulness even if they have crappy growths.

Out of curiosity, who?

I generally use chatacters I like, but if I'm trying to play relatively quickly (I don't even approach LTC levels) I tend towards prepromotes and unpromoted units with good bases since they can usually snowball into usefulness even if they have crappy growths.

Tormod, I believe.

I only ever really use Jeigans on the hardest difficulties, but I don't mind using other prepromotes if my growth units of the same class get screwed over.

It depends on why I am playing through the game. The very first time I play through the game I try to get a feel for personalities and growth rates. After 1-2 playthroughs I may look up conversations/events with prerequisites and level the characters that help meet those prerequisites. On harder difficulties they can be useful. So yeah, it just depends on my goal at the time.

I don't usually go out of my way to utilize them, but I don't usually go out of my way to avoid them either. Sure, I'd probably stick to the team I made at the start of the game given the choice; but that's nothing against the pre-promotes (beyond arriving later). The only pre-promotes I might intentionally avoid are the Jeigans and that's more of raising up other units instead of focusing on them.

The only reason why I sometimes avoid prepromotes is because I already have a working team when they come along. I have nothing against Pre-promotes by themselves and they're usually good enough for the job. The only exceptions are shadow dragon and Fe12 where the vast majority of pre promotes aren't all that good.

Prepromotes tend to bore me badly. I love raising a baby unit like Fiona or Meg into something great, and I get no satisfaction like that from prepromotes. In fact, they don't give me any fun. Prepromotes bore me outside of say Sothe and Innes.

Edited by Faceless

I love prepromotes. What people miss often is that the strongest aspect of a prepromote is their weapon Ranks, then their bases. Prepromotes usually have extremely high weapon ranks. Even if Erk compares to Pent at 20/1, he won't have A staves. If Neimi beats Innes statistically by the time you get him, she still won't have A bows. I like prepromotes since they save you a lot of trouble.

I fully embrace prepromotes, I don't really care about raising units; if they're good and don't take me extra effort to baby i can pull better strats without worrying about them; Also there's shit about feeding even statistically great growth units a ton of exp and they disappoint me hard because the rng goddess doesn't like me using that character (see: every gba cavalier except Franz when I use them); Prepromotes give a higher guaranteed stat threshold that I don't have to worry about

I'm only willing to spend extra effort on favoritism if I really like a character based on personality/design/whatever; I don't have the effort threshold to do that for my entire team

Also prepromotes tend to be what I favor in personality anyway; Since prepromoted characters tend to be older and I prefer more mature characters, they usually fall in line more easily with what I like as characters

Speaking of team-planning, though, I just plan my team around having prepromotes; especially in like, FE7 HHM where the initial deploy slot is as low as 8 and gets higher when you start getting prepromotes so it's not like I can even train a lot of people anyway; Most of my favorite characters in GBA are pre-promoted so they actually have a lot of priority in being added to my team

Edited by Thor Odinson

I started with Shadow Dragon and therefore have a strong aversion to prepromotes (as all the ones in Shadow Dragon suck with the exception of maybe Minerva), usually preferring to stick with my earlygame team all the way through.

I'm starting to use later game units more often these days.

I tend to like 'em well enough; my opinion of pre-promotes and especially Jagens increased quite a bit after I started playing on higher difficulties. They also let me be lazy and not worry about training as many units, especially on more casual runs. ​I also use Evayle as inspiration when training with my longsword

Edited by Ambling Falchion

If I like the unit as a character such as Freddy and Seth, I will use them regardless of their status as pre-promotes and Oifeys/Jeigans.I never take into account growths but I do look at the bases just to see if they can handle some things in early chapters.But yeah, I love pre-promotes in fact many of them are favorites of mine like Pent, Geitz, Seth, Innes, Calil, Lucia, Minerva, Freddy, Anna etc.

i just kind of use whoever

bases > growths though; with the exception of awakening and the upper difficulties of FE12 (maybe fates? haven't played it yet), the base stats of the units you're given are absolutely capable of beating the game, who needs growths?

I pretty much never use Prepromotes, but there are a few exceptions. Like many others here, I use characters that I like. So sometimes I'll use a prepromote. I generally like growths over bases as well. I like to see units grow over time (and become supreme juggernauts!).

I like a balance of prepromotes with guys i can raise into murder machines. If a prepromote is really good, like Pent, he/she is going to be on my team. They are also less effort anyway.

Example: Marcus > any of the three cavs in fe7 because hes just already right there and not effort. While Sain has issues with speed and defense a lot of the time on my runs. Kent is woefully average, and Lowen isnt really worth the trouble either. Give Marcus the speedwings you steal from Zoldam and you are golden for the rest of the game. Steal speedwings > effort in raising cavs. Isadora is a thing if i want a second paladin. Robe she comes with + Body Ring in desert > effort in raising cavs.

Pent > effort in raising Erk. Harken > effort in raising Raven.

In FE8, Innes > effort in dealing with Neimi's crap. Even if she can horsie, is it worth it?

But if i really like a character, ill effort for them. Lute is a favorite of mine, so ill bother with her even when i plan on using Saleh (which i always do).

In Tellius, i dont really care what your class is or if you were promoted, as long as you be awesome. (i dont use Generals/Marshalls much because bad move in that game(s))

FE13, i used to not use her, but now i use Anna all the time because Gaius is just too fucking squishy to deal with. I cant even...Plus she can use a staff and thats a bonus. Shes a great utility. I usually have a team formed by the time the other prepromotes join (Khans, Say'ri) so..../shrug.

Depends on the situation with me on the growths/bases discussion. If im going for higher difficulties, bases are king. If im fucking around, gimme growths. If im taking a middle of the road approach, i like both.