Is There a Fanbase of a Game(s) You Love That You Dislike?

CooledEvergreen

Title says it all. I never really liked the smash community. From people hating each each other over which version of the game they like, to people acting like spoiled brats concerning which characters are in or not, there was always an aura of unfreindliness there for me.I've never really liked the pokemon community either, as there is a lot of people who, when it comes to nostalgia and the past games, have a set of rose-tinted glasses, rendering them incapable of admitting the older games' faults.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the Pokemon fanbase sometimes. Some love the earlier gens and bash on the new ones while other love the newer gens and bash on the old ones. There's nothing wrong with favoring a gen and disliking other but everything has it's pros and cons so we can't constantly bash on them.

Every fanbase has its Pros and Cons, honestly. I don't really have an answer, since every fanbase has tons of people, and it's just so broad saying that a fanbase is bad, since, (I can say this from experience) in every fanbase there are plenty of people who know what the problem is and... aren't terrible.

Not that there's anything wrong with this thread, because it's perfectly fine to dislike a fanbase, I just don't like to group so many people together without really knowing what everyone is thinking.

Like, to give an example, I always heard people say that the Sonic fanbase was bad because they criticize basically every Sonic game past the four on the Genesis. But... now that I've taken a good look at them, a lot of those games are really, really bad. There are good ones, but most of those even have huge flaws.

Not to say the Sonic fanbase doesn't have its own issues, because there are plenty more, but now I understand why people think that.

Edited by maybe

Every fanbase has its Pros and Cons, honestly. I don't really have an answer, since every fanbase has tons of people, and it's just so broad saying that a fanbase is bad, since, (I can say this from experience) in every fanbase there are plenty of people who know what the problem is and... aren't terrible.

Not that there's anything wrong with this thread, because it's perfectly fine to dislike a fanbase, I just don't like to group so many people together without really knowing what everyone is thinking.

I understand, every cloud has a silver lining, I have found nice people in communities I dislike, it's just that sometimes a group of people in a community can annoy you.

DOTA

Its outright IMPOSSIBLE to like the game and the community at the same time

This

The Dota community is probably the most toxic and whiny bunch I've ever seen. I mean, they spammed Volvo's and Obama's facebook, harassed Valve employees and some casters because Valve didn't put in a Halloween game mode one year since they were busy working on a major update.

Heh, this question is just begging to be answered with: "The Fire Emblem community".

Admittedly, though, that's half true..

Anyways, in general every big fanbase has its weak parts.

I think that oftentimes it's the fault of the developers for messing with the series resulting in the fanbase being torn apart.

Look at Smash for instance. After a highly competetive game, the fans are presented with what's basicly the opposite.

Naturally some people loose faith in the series, although most stayed cool and moved on to Smash 4.

Definitely the Pokemon fanbase. I don't think the fanbase is really any worse than any other ones but something about Pokemon is so pure in my mind that I feel like no one should be fighting because we all still love the same thing. I swear I'm not like 10.

Oh maybe you should see the Archeage fans. Or probably you've never heard of the game and that would be because it was going to be a pretty big success but then the fans killed the game with their hate for each other.

Edited by Hatsuoki

Pokemon,Sonic,Devil May Cry..No fandoms are perfect.Pokemon and Sonic are explained in posts above this one,but Devil May Cry fans bash the fans for the reboot DmC:Devil May Cry.I'm a fan of the original DMC games and I kinda like DmC:Devil May Cry,so I tend to stay away from the fandom in case of rage.

Oh maybe you should see the Archeage fans. Or probably you've never heard of the game and that would be because it was going to be a pretty big success but then the fans killed the game with their hate for each other.

archeage fans are especially hilarious because i've talked to a bunch that still think archeage is going to be the killer mmo of the century, and that it makes all games made before it look pathetic in comparison. i've never seen so much concentrated smug hubris.

Not the community in its entirety, but mainly when people will trash talk you if you don't dislike what they dislike. I can give you examples.

-People who call themselves fans of the Pokemon series but think everything past Gen 1 or 2 is garbage, and if you like Gen 3-6, then they say you have shitty taste

-People who call themselves fans of Sonic because they love the 2D games and thinks every 3D game sucks because Sonic 06 exists, and if you like 3D Sonic games, then they say you have shitty taste.

-People who call themselves Final Fantasy fans yet think every game is trash except FF7, and if you like any other Final Fantasy, then they say you have shitty taste.

-Devil May Cry fans when it comes to DmC: Devil May Cry.... Well, you get the point.

Don't get me started how some of the community treats people who like FE13 and 14

Here's the thing, my least favorite Final Fantasy game that I have ever played is Final Fantasy 8. And do you want to know what I think of you if you like it? I think you are a person who is entitled to their opinion and like what you want to like. Opinions will vary and it's interesting to hear why someone likes or dislikes a certain game. But it is the people in the community who will just sit there and belittle someone for simply having a different opinion is what I don't like.

FE13

Many peole adore this game, although they haven't played the other parts yet.

Edit: Misread the title

Then FE as a franchise.

Legit FE13 fans are actually fine. They like the game and enjoy it for several reasons, but outside the most extreme "Waifu" lovers, they're good people.

The real bad part of the FE fandom are those who look down on the newer fans because they have only played FE13 and are excited to play FE14. Also the people who want FE14 to be censored in the localization.

Every fanbase has its issues, but only two notable situations I can think of are:

-Portions of the Smash Bros. fanbase, particularly when it comes to warring over who is or should be getting in. They can get really toxic. Melee elitists also have a tendency to be...well, very elitist. (Note: If you still love Melee to this day, I'm not pointing at you here unless you like to shit on the other games for not being Melee)

-Certain Pokemon fans, specifically the genwunners, as they tend to be called. Gen 1 is your favorite? Okay. You're so fucking special. (Same idea as the above note applies here)

...Really, I guess I just find the worst part of any fanbase to be the part that picks their favorite as the best and decrees all the rest to be completely inferior in every way. We've got some of those in the FE fandom, too, though I won't mention them because they're not so prevalent anymore.

Legit FE13 fans are actually fine. They like the game and enjoy it for several reasons, but outside the most extreme "Waifu" lovers, they're good people.

The real bad part of the FE fandom are those who look down on the newer fans because they have only played FE13 and are excited to play FE14. Also the people who want FE14 to be censored in the localization.

The part of the FE community annoys me as well. I kinda reminds me of the "genwunners" of pokemon infamy as they love the older FE games and despises the newer ones because their too "casual", which to be honest, I believe if Intelligent Systems had stuck to the older FE games formula and not made the changes to appeal to a wider audieance, I believe FE13 would have sold poorly, thus causing the series' demise, which when that happens, nobodys happy.

The part of the FE community annoys me as well. I kinda reminds me of the "genwunners" of pokemon infamy as they love the older FE games and despises the newer ones because their too "casual", which to be honest, I believe if Intelligent Systems had stuck to the older FE games formula and not made the changes to appeal to a wider audieance, I believe FE13 would have sold poorly, thus causing the series' demise, which when that happens, nobodys happy.

That's... not entirely accurate. I believe Awakening needed to sell 250,000 copies or the series would be discontinued. Almost every single Fire Emblem game has sold that much. Really, I feel like it was just because they actually bothered to advertise it that Awakening sold so well.

And honestly, while it is a problem if they look down on newer fans, is it really such a problem to dislike the newer ones?

Like... sure, it might seem kinda dickish to say it's too "casual". But in a way, it is true. The mechanics are much simpler and the maps are pretty dull. Not saying they're bad, but it's a valid complaint.

That's... not entirely accurate. I believe Awakening needed to sell 250,000 copies or the series would be discontinued. Almost every single Fire Emblem game has sold that much. Really, I feel like it was just because they actually bothered to advertise it that Awakening sold so well.

And honestly, while it is a problem if they look down on newer fans, is it really such a problem to dislike the newer ones?

Like... sure, it might seem kinda dickish to say it's too "casual". But in a way, it is true. The mechanics are much simpler and the maps are pretty dull. Not saying they're bad, but it's a valid complaint.

I'm not saying Awakening had no faults, nor am I saying all FE fans should love all the new FE games and anyone that dosen't are all stupid. I'm saying that people who look down upon other people who like the newer FE games (or any other FE game, new or old) just because their opinions about it being "too casual" dont match is stupid.

LoL, Dota, or any other MOBA really. The best community I've found out of them is Smite. The communities are filled with racists, idiots, and assholes.

Fire Emblem, lots of whiny people.

Smash Bros and Pokemon are kinda bad for the same reason. X game is the best and all other games are shit.

My general rule of thumb is that the community is the worst thing about anything, but the OP really hit the nail on the head in regarding why I especially hate the Smash community.

The Fire Emblem fanbase. Never before have I seen so many elitist arseholes in one place.

I've seen very little elitism outside of Reddit and Gamefaqs; most people here are just fine. Of course, the prevelance of actual elitists are exaggerated.

I'll just post this link: http://cappnrob.tumblr.com/post/120639414767/why-is-the-old-school-fire-emblem-fandom-so-bad

Though I don't necessarily agree about his point on Awakening, I will say this: a LOT of "elitism" attributed to the Fire Emblem fanbase means "criticizes Awakening".

Also, the Halo fanbase says hi.

Really, the old-school Halo fanbase fits that bill to the T.

For reference, whenever they mention "skill", they mean Halo 2 MP. So "This game requires no skill" means "This game isn't a clone of Halo 2".

They think any change is bad and that Halo 2 was the absolute pinnacle of the series and that 343 is the devils' spawn. They think Halo 5 (which is cutting customizable loadouts and the like for equal starts and a competitive focus) is MORE like COD than Halo 4 because you can zoom in with every weapon, despite the only weapons that couldn't zoom in were at a competitive disadvantage.

They think Halo 4's campaign was ridiculously short, when it had 8 slightly-longer-than-normal missions, compared to the average of 10 normal length missions.

Really, I could vent about them for weeks and still be done. You guys don't like Halo anymore? Then STFU and move on so the people who like it can enjoy it.

Also, it seems most Sony-era Monster Hunter fans would either best buds or mortal enemies with the DoTa crowd.

Edited by The DanMan

The Final Fantasy fanbase is so terrible. Everyone gets so butthurt over some stupid opinions. You want to know the best part? Every game's fanbase gets butthurt in their own special way. The only calm ones are IX's fans and XIII's fans (because everyone hates XIII). The comments section of any Final Fantasy video is the absolute worst too.