Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

6 hours ago, dragonslayer793 said:

So I currently am having trouble working to get this game to work but I sadly have no clue what i'm doing as i'm new to this rom patching and hacks for Fire Emblem please if anyone can help me that'd be amazing!

Obtain an FE8(U) ROM somehow and follow this tutorial for patching: 

48 minutes ago, ShirleyVaga said:

which game do you even use?

FE8

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm half asleep, but we need a bit more detail to really help ya out.

So in order to use a mod you need a few things. First you need a rom of the game, in this case FE8. There is some obvious legalities with rom sharing, which is they use patches. Next you need the patch, and a patcher that will sort of combine the two files into one( to put it in sleepy terms lol)

As far as patchers you need a ups patcher, I use tsukuyomit on linux, but there are a ton of options out there for windows. Might even be one hosted on SF somewhere?

*edit* there zim posted a nice tutorial above my post =P

Edited by urug99

Hey guys,

I just finished your hack and I have to say that it is really good, so I decided to finally get an account here. I really enjoyed playing this hack. Thank you for your awesome work.

Beside that, I can't really give you any constructive criticism as most of my points were already mentioned by other users and you are already taking care of them. Just two ideas: I think it would be cool, if Belle had one or two more constitution (but maybe she would be too strong, because obviously i don't know what you have planned for her). And I think that Sebastian should be a bit stronger overall. The sniper in his chapter felt like a stronger and more dangerous enemy than he did. I hope it is okay when I just mention ideas like that:)

I'm looking forward to the next parts!

PS: Sorry, if my english is bad:D And i really like the Gale animation^^

15 hours ago, DerLumpensammler said:

Hey guys,

I just finished your hack and I have to say that it is really good, so I decided to finally get an account here. I really enjoyed playing this hack. Thank you for your awesome work.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, DerLumpensammler said:

And I think that Sebastian should be a bit stronger overall. The sniper in his chapter felt like a stronger and more dangerous enemy than he did. I hope it is okay when I just mention ideas like that:)

Well when snipers have a crit bonus...

I'll take a look at him and see if there's anything I can do about it.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Sluef said:

On the chapter where you get Harold, what strategies are there? I've tried at least twenty times. Can you recruit the pirate man in this chapter too or does he come later?

It would do you well to elaborate how you've been trying before.

I recommend playing aggressively at the start. Lead with your best defensive units and have someone kill the Meteor Mage by the second turn, removing him adds a lot more freedom. Don't be afraid to use Frederica much, there's plenty of EXP to be gained in the next three chapters. Skip the boss if you want but keep in mind that he starts chasing you around turn 8 or 9.

Pretty sure the pirate is just a joke character. Why else would he have a recruitment tune that falls apart?

5 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

I recommend playing aggressively at the start. Lead with your best defensive units and have someone kill the Meteor Mage by the second turn, removing him adds a lot more freedom. Don't be afraid to use Frederica much, there's plenty of EXP to be gained in the next three chapters. Skip the boss if you want but keep in mind that he starts chasing you around turn 8 or 9.

Pretty sure the pirate is just a joke character. Why else would he have a recruitment tune that falls apart?

Well, I originally wasn't going to use fredrica. But if she works I'll try her out. I'm not using the sword knight, should I? I don't plan on using him but maybe for just this chapter? You're sure I'll get enough xp for the people I want to use? (Eagle) Should i bring Axel instead of Eagle? And if I use knight who do I replace?

36 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

I appreciate your help by the way

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to get some work done on this while I was on break but we're currently running into issue after issue with the buildfile method so that's grinding to a halt again. S2-1 is still the only act 2 chapter that's 100% complete.

Fortunately I'm smart and have not committed to any definite release date for more content, it'll get done when it gets done.

Hey, i'm 5 chapters through and so far I think the design is on point. GG

The only problem i have, but which is not even relevant, is that as a french guy seing really simple words used for weapons or character feels a bit stupid.

Like no one in france would call his daughter belle, or call his sword épée.We would have used some more specific or invetive names.

For example, girl names taken from adjectives would be things like Claire (bright), Céleste (Heavenly), Marine (sorta coming from / related to the sea/water).

For swords you could have names like : Epine (needle), Fleuret (Foil ?), Pointe (like the very end of a straight object) or more exagerated names like Perce-Coeur (Heart Piercer).

But like i said that not a complaint, just exagerated nitpicking

In their English usages, Belle is an actual name and "épée" usually refers to a sword used by fencers, not just swords in general. I love the sword name suggestions though!

5 hours ago, Alusq said:

In their English usages, Belle is an actual name

Didn't know that, my bad !

5 hours ago, Alusq said:

"épée" usually refers to a sword used by fencers

Yeah i thought about that like 3 seconds after posting and forgot to edit, that's double bad since i did some fencing a couple years ago.

So that's a triple bad in one post, kinda costly ! x)

It's good; thanks for trying to help!

also, someone pls vote for Uncle Oven so we can get back to poll vote equality

Edited by Alusq

• 2 weeks later...

HvNl4y4.png

I am saddened.

In other news, O2-1 is finally done, and S2/O2-2 will start getting worked on shortly.

16(+2) chapters to go...

Edited by InvdrZim13

• 2 weeks later...

Just started playing.
I'm already attached to Seneca & Sebastian.

When the route splits, may I have Sawyer/Owen hook up with one of them?

lol'd.

Edited by MsPepe

6 hours ago, MsPepe said:

Just started playing.
I'm already attached to Seneca & Sebastian.

When the route splits, may I have Sawyer/Owen hook up with one of them?

lol'd.

wat

11 hours ago, InvdrZim13 said:

wat

Seneca/Sebastian Route... pls. They are the heroes of the story.

like the game by the way, I think you did a good job. awkwardly going to leave now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I've discovered this project a couple of days ago, grinded through it and loved it. Keep up the good work!

If I may point a really minor flaw, it's the writing. When the main characters speak, they sound unnatural. For example, you can cut most regarding justice and peace since their "heroic nature" is supposed to let their action speak for themselves. Another perk of reducing the volume of dialogues is that you minimize how the characters sound alike, since they express in a way too similar to one another. I repeat this is just me being overpedantic, I've really enjoyed your work.

I'll leave two quotes I've found really useful both to flesh out characters and in writing in general:

"Don't use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do" - Mark Twain

"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do" - Thomas Jefferson

Just by applying these or going for the opposite you have created two different kind of characters. Also, short remarks have a weight no ponderous phrase will ever have.

I am here to say fun hack a bit easy for my tastes but the after chapter 8 i think tihngs started to get alot more fun. Looking forward to more and damn you for the ending you took my best unit from me.I want to say that the rng was strange? to say the least with level ups

Spoiler

aurara.thumb.png.c575934f09d893b983e14c55b2bca3f1.pngexpected more from her from how she started but oh wellaxel.thumb.png.d2e6f03aaef666c6eceb6ea37c45fcbc.pnginterestid in his promotions if i like them he is getting used if not mehcharles.thumb.png.60fb9d31b1d35d3a4aa71b1b95458789.pngsaved me alot not the best but hey will be a god i feeldarius.thumb.png.43d061277e87ef639fbd8d347593caea.pngcan be better but general with this is smoething i wanteagle.thumb.png.9b9053da9b7adcff254a871a74565330.pngbenched at first prep chapterelijah.thumb.png.2443a4c51d526c86a1565938260b1c2f.pngsame as his friend but i may use him if he has a good promotionfederica.thumb.png.126ec9152057b9ea952287dbb0679d57.pngwas used when i needed more healers and had the spacegrace.thumb.png.c0760390108d6192979dd372051352eb.pngnot a fan of fast but low str and def mercs so benched for neroharold.thumb.png.86eb618b5cc056d9359aba9efd992dc6.pngchipper with lite but will get use as a promoted man if he can use staffskate.thumb.png.e22b82acb6f0bcc677dec41c27f5571f.pngbad rng but i like her growth so on the teamlily.thumb.png.4a3e461be70dca073c8e7c1b6a062c7f.pngout classed as hell but she is going to be usefull i fell (damn you)marques.thumb.png.61758ebf25499f7eba85fe071ebb9092.pngnormal thief didnt expect much but stealing was really usefullnero.thumb.png.6e3d230d2b6a9b5b2d980901884ee2b2.pngmerc like i like them to be on my team next updateoona.thumb.png.5e245629ad407340633cfeb7920a525a.pngrng forced me to bench her as you can seeowen.thumb.png.fb5f3aa8007899cd68e11d7272c9917a.pnghe was benched for the low unit chapters but i got to like his tome latersawyer.thumb.png.939b4b0d1199d982b6532e5088e244b1.pngbenched for low unit chapters but im glad i used him later was a really good mage killersofia.thumb.png.215cb59e34f4997870f9ea460c9f21ad.pngon my team thank you for giving me a good str speed myrmstark.thumb.png.045187fafbe9200791b01667244f0bb6.pnghis low speed is making me sad hope i get a better archerbelle.thumb.png.5a9e58d7a8ba922faa85bf3bb8444737.pngbest unit in this hack (and second best lord i've used in a hack) i hate you for taking her away from me i better get a fast promotion and does she have a weapon i can give her like senacas sword in 1-f so i can solo later chapters with her?

if you can reccomened me program where i can get better pics or something pls do

But anyway fun timelooking forward to more.

Edited by CrazyMage
wanted to fix tag