Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

Sure, keep in mind that we're going to go back and rebalance act 1 so it's hopefully less of a levelup-fest.

Also, cav issue + minor text issues are fixed, so redownload and patch again for your unarmed cav sprite to not be totally broken.

Edited by InvdrZim13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I figured I'd say this just to be safe.

In the interest of not spoiling it for everyone else, please do not post about 1-F things for a week or so to give people time to play it.

If you have comments/reactions or feedback specifically about 1-F, please send me a PM instead of posting it here while this request is in effect.

Thanks!

I assume posting final character stats upon finishing 1-F is fine, provided its just the stats and not the story related stuff/make sure the screenshot is only stats?

Related to that note: while I'll hold off on a full analysis until I finish this version of the hack (enjoying the new levels so far btw, on 1-10), Lily is going to need some help growth wise. A character either needs to have good defences (Def and/or Res Growth + HP), good dodging abilities (Speed + Luck growth), or middle ground (Speed and Def both around the 40% mark). Lily has neither. She has some base speed to try to help her out, but everything outside of Strength and HP are low growths and it shows the farther I get into the game. My initial suggestion would be to bump up both the Def and Res growths by 10%. They still wouldn't be amazing, but they would let her be a better physical/strong type of pegasus rider instead of the stereotypical "weak but dodge a lot" type. Right now she can't take a hit, and her base speed only carries her a short distance before the low growth bites her. She has good strength and con to back it up, but if she can't one shot whatever she's facing she's likely in trouble. She and the thief have caused the most of my resets, but its understandable for a thief not to be amazing at combat. Not really supposed to be.

Edited by TheNiddo

I assume posting final character stats upon finishing 1-F is fine, provided its just the stats and not the story related stuff/make sure the screenshot is only stats?

Related to that note: while I'll hold off on a full analysis until I finish this version of the hack (enjoying the new levels so far btw, on 1-10), Lily is going to need some help growth wise. A character either needs to have good defences (Def and/or Res Growth + HP), good dodging abilities (Speed + Luck growth), or middle ground (Speed and Def both around the 40% mark). Lily has neither. She has some base speed to try to help her out, but everything outside of Strength and HP are low growths and it shows the farther I get into the game. My initial suggestion would be to bump up both the Def and Res growths by 10%. They still wouldn't be amazing, but they would let her be a better physical/strong type of pegasus rider instead of the stereotypical "weak but dodge a lot" type. Right now she can't take a hit, and her base speed only carries her a short distance before the low growth bites her. She has good strength and con to back it up, but if she can't one shot whatever she's facing she's likely in trouble. She and the thief have caused the most of my resets, but its understandable for a thief not to be amazing at combat. Not really supposed to be.

Posting stats is fine yeah.

Also, while it's not game breaking, I think the talk menu option on the stat screen still says "Affin" instead of "Talk". I fixed it but unless it really bugs you you don't need to re-repatch or anything.

You've probably heard this before, but I hate this dumb broad

143q22t.jpg

Heeeehhhhhhhhhh maybe she should let that stress- wait asshole did you set me up for this?

Seriously though this bitch has no agency

Edited by KingofCups

Jesus, I love the addition of Mythical creature's as classes. Also the different design for the Pegasus and will Belle be able to do the Triangle Attack with other Pegasus Knight's??

No idea. We might have to remove the triangle attack, but we haven't actually tested anything yet.

The idea was brought to me from one of my testers and I figured I'd put it here to get more opinions on it.

The suggestion was only use earth seals for promotion items, so no knight crests or hero seals or any of that.

It seems like a good idea to me, but I'm not the one who's going to be playing it in the end so I figured I'd ask it here to get a better feeling for the general opinion on this thing.

I definitely like this idea although you should rename the earth seals to master seals and change up their icon so it looks more master-sealy. I dunno how you're going to promote lords but if you're using a promotional item to promote lords you should just keep the heaven seals in along with the master seal, it makes it more epic when you promote your lords if you use a heaven seal as opposed to using a master seal because master seals are way more common than heaven seals.

Something you might want to take a look at: I never recruited the wyvern rider girl, but her dialogue still occurs right before the finale.

Well that was silly of you, should've deployed Rika and gotten her lol

We're aware of this and working on checking if they were recruited and replacing them with an NPC that obviously doesn't join the fight if they weren't.

I definitely like this idea although you should rename the earth seals to master seals and change up their icon so it looks more master-sealy. I dunno how you're going to promote lords but if you're using a promotional item to promote lords you should just keep the heaven seals in along with the master seal, it makes it more epic when you promote your lords if you use a heaven seal as opposed to using a master seal because master seals are way more common than heaven seals.

Eeehhhh. I don't really see a reason to change the Earth Seal. Lol nevermind they're called master seals in FE8 already. Also, it's FE8, heaven seals aren't in, there's just the bracelets the twins have. If someone wants to promote Owen/Sawyer as soon as possible they can go right ahead.

Edited by InvdrZim13

Well that was silly of you, should've deployed Rika and gotten her lol

We're aware of this and working on checking if they were recruited and replacing them with an NPC that obviously doesn't join the fight if they weren't.

Eeehhhh. I don't really see a reason to change the Earth Seal. Also, it's FE8, heaven seals aren't in, there's just the bracelets the twins have. If someone wants to promote Owen/Sawyer as soon as possible they can go right ahead.

Oh, my bad. I'm so used to hacks being made for Blazing Sword that I automatically assume stuff like that. Yeah, I don't care really what you do with it but I do like the idea of using the Earth Seal for everything promotion related.

Oh, my bad. I'm so used to hacks being made for Blazing Sword that I automatically assume stuff like that. Yeah, I don't care really what you do with it but I do like the idea of using the Earth Seal for everything promotion related.

See my edit, forgot they were already called master seals in FE8

First time playing and its great job so far :)

the Lendsecht class was a pretty great addition - spear and sword wielding ground unit like on of those fast armored foot type knights (yes!) and other interesting variations like the gryphon riders and paladin mages all sweet.

Just a suggestion for making those promotions a bit more balanced perhaps for next time? Since we have all this variety now, so that among choices one is not always going to be such an obvious choice over the other - I'm thinking you could give locked single weapon classes +15 crit bonus like helberdiers since now you have the lendsecht which can use lances as well to keep them on a similar advantage for promotion classes, I'm not sure if you gave snipers the bonus but I think that should be a given considering the advantages of its other counterparts.

Hmm thats it really, when it comes to that just always figured those single weapon classes should always get those bonuses just to give incentive to go that way, probably you could factor it in with the magic classes as well.

Bug wise I've got nothing to report from reading a few above, but then again I haven't personally been in the same conditions as the other guys (disarmed characters, etc..) but if those are the issues in those situations then yeah they should probably get checked up.

Other than that, thank you for sharing this with us and hopefully you stick to it, its been a fun 11 chapters.

Edited by Trestkon

Just a suggestion for making those promotions a bit more balanced perhaps for next time? Since we have all this variety now, so that among 3 choices one is not always going to be such an obvious over the other - I'm thinking you could give locked single weapon classes +15 crit bonus like helberdiers since now you have the lendsecht which can use lances as well to keep them on a similar advantage for promotion classes, I'm not sure if you gave snipers the bonus but I think that should be a given considering the advantages of its other counterparts.

Already did that, Sentinels and Snipers have the same crit bonus that Berserkers and Swordmasters have. Probably not going to give it to the magic classes since they have way more utility with staff use and such.

Other than that, thank you for sharing this with us and hopefully you stick to it, its been a fun 11 chapters.

But the patch is 12 chapters lol

Already did that, Sentinels and Snipers have the same crit bonus that Berserkers and Swordmasters have. Probably not going to give it to the magic classes since they have way more utility with staff use and such.

But the patch is 12 chapters lol

Oh yeah 12 my bad haha

Oh thats great to hear about the bonuses I didn't get axel high enough on the level to try it out but its good to hear that, for me personally hehe ^^

Edited by Trestkon

Just to keep everyone in the loop we're currently working on tweaking some unit stuff (both enemy and player), but mainly we're looking at 1-F and trying to improve it by keeping the difficulty more consistent and making it not a chore to get Nero and Sofia.

[spoiler=My Units]

In no particular order (thanks, imgur, for making your setup even LESS friendly)...

F0UklRM.png

I didn't use him except for his joining chapter until 1-F, when I had more space. Actually turned out ok. His class xp multiplier wasn't changed, so he got exp faster than anyone else, which is how I managed to level him so quickly. This has been fixed.

*cue people booing*

icaA004.png

Force deployment, obviously. Nothing to write home about, although the concept is novel. Used her more as a ferry bot, even though she got her share of kills.

OzGLuFj.png

Plot-relevant Staffbot Mcgee. Not a huge fan of her character, but I think that's kind of the point. Used her to lure out and chip. Excellent Jeigan material.

OI6B4Ja.png

I have a soft spot for archers, and here, I was rewarded. With so many fliers, he was ORKOing (if not OHKOing) left, right, and center. Definitely one of the MVPs.

VuJGX0D.png

Festal made her absolutely amazing. Plus, she actually has decent strength and speed. The AI tried to silence her 4 times, and failed. It was glorious.

SgRxXm1.png

Typical knight, albeit with 5 move, which really increases his use. An amazing tank, and can use all weaponry without AS loss. Not quite an MVP, but definitely up there.

yfqzq3i.png

Myrm-like merc, with actual con. I like her quite a bit; she tanked wyverns like nobody's business. Bit of a glass cannon, though.

Sjevlp0.png

Pretty dodgy, and can actually attack (although she was on healing duty pretty much all the time). Stick her on a forest and not much can hit her.

XSmisBD.png

MVP with Stark. Seriously, what are they feeding lords these days? I dunno if he's speed-blessed or not, but he was doubling waaaaaaay more often than a dark magic user should. Add Belial's effectiveness against every mounted unit in the game and he was an absolute beast. Did have a bit of an accuracy issue, but I guess the man has to have some drawbacks.

YiyLFGl.png

Tried to use him; wasn't too impressed (but he's a fighter, what can you do?). I do like that he started out a bit higher leveled than the rest of the gang, so he actually has some bases to work with. He was basically a damage soaker; everyone with Meteor/Dulam targeted him.

lWsRlkK.png

THE HAIR! I love this guy, but I'm not entirely sure why. It's not like his stats are super-great or anything...and yet, that mug makes me want to use him. So I did. Has surprisingly high defense for a magic user.

XSFHRuV.png

Stole stuff. Thieves don't usually break the mold, and this was no exception. I did use him to bait out fighters and the like, and he did a decent job of that. Couldn't really take more than 1 hit at a time, though.

ORygW3Q.png

Her mug's not great (which has been brought up already multiple times), but her stats are pretty good. She solo'd Seneca with the iron rune because she was the only axe user that didn't get doubled (whose brilliant idea was it to make Callandor a reaver, anyway?)

9MSEQc9.png

Gave him the energy ring, and he proceeded to wreck face. An excellent cavalier.

Rgc6fvD.png

Speedy lord. I like his animation, and the Nimbus tome is quite handy and covers his weaknesses (mag and res) very well.

NOT PICTURED:
Nero and Sofia weren't used, unsurprisingly; I was apparently using an older version of the patch where, by the time they were released, Kate was kicking Seneca's ass. They both look pretty good, especially if your Grace turned out crappy. Can't really say more.

Charles: I tried to use him. He got HP and defense, and that was about it. Couldn't hit, couldn't double, so I dropped him after chapter 8 or so.

Lily: Tried to use her, too. She's got strength, which is nice, but no evasiveness or defenses (and forget going anywhere near archers, although that's the way it should be). Used her more as a utility character in 1-9 and benched her after.

v1.6 will probably be out tomorrow or Saturday, it changes up some units stats and other things that aren't unit stats:

• 1-F got a redesign, the NPCs aren't horribly out of the way now, and enemy unit placement/composition have been redone.
  • The sub bosses in 1-F are more threatening now.
  • Cavaliers are split into sword/lance/axe. Eagle is now a lance cav.
  • 1-1 has been updated to let Eagle not get fucked by all the fighters that existed originally.
  • Darius is now a Sword Armor kinght and comes in with a Steel Blade (and he's the only one with the CON for it)
  • Axel comes in with an axereaver as well as his iron lance.
  • Soldiers now gain exp at the same rate as everyone else, so Axel won't level faster than your other units anymore.
  • 1-8 and onward have more horseslayers now, to threaten units like Eagle and Rika.
  • Some more text has been edited.
  • At least one mug has been updated.

In order to experience all the changes, you'll have to make a new save. You don't really need to, but I'd do it so you're getting the new experience or whatever.

Edited by InvdrZim13

Good to hear about the sub-bosses and the map redesign. Not quite done that map yet, but can I just say I absolutely hate that sniper by the prison cells?

Interesting to hear that Eagle is now only Lances. Makes sense and I'm assuming we'll have a Sword Cavalier in our future. Hopefully some of the other maps early on in part 1 get double checked for enemy axe counts as well.

Darius's change... don't know how I feel about it. Like using him to lure out Pegs and Cavs. Sword isn't as good at that. Makes him more different from Axel and Lily though I guess.