Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

God damn it's still 50/50.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I actually haven't played this hack yet because I like to play hacks when they're fully complete but I have been watching Mangs's playthrough of this so I know some stuff.

I'm just wondering if there are multiple interchangeable battle frames because I"m not a huge fan of the disc battle frame. If not, do you plan to add interchangeable battle frames or can you change the disc battle frame? I just think it messes with the immersion of the battle but it's not a huge deal.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God damn it's still 50/50.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I actually haven't played this hack yet because I like to play hacks when they're fully complete but I have been watching Mangs's playthrough of this so I know some stuff.

I'm just wondering if there are multiple interchangeable battle frames because I"m not a huge fan of the disc battle frame. If not, do you plan to add interchangeable battle frames or can you change the disc battle frame? I just think it messes with the immersion of the battle but it's not a huge deal.

Nope, that's the battle frame that we're sticking with.

Nope, that's the battle frame that we're sticking with.

i feel really stupid but what exactly is this battle frame thing he is talking about?

something tells me he is talking about battle themes which arent interchangable in romhacking

Edited by Apparoid

I don't know if my feedback will be any valuable or even welcome, as I've only watched Mangs' let's play due to being both busy and technologically inept, and will thus refrain from making comments about the gameplay However, since I'm always interested in a good story and you guys seem to be taking your writing very seriously, I was thinking of speaking my mind and offer some feedback.

[spoiler=Staff of Ages story spoilers]Let me start off by saying I find the writing overall very good. The characters are likeable and distinct, the humor is great and so is the banter, and the villain of the first arc has some proper motivation and never comes across as a monster. That alone is better than a lot of the entries in the "real" franchise. Please know that so far, if I would've had paid money for this product, I would've been satisfied. I write this in hope that it will be useful, not to be a dick.

However, since I wanted to offer some feedback, I'm not going to mince words, which I think is important while the game is being in development. So far, I've got three main issues.

Seneca and Sebastian - I love the fact that they've got a proper, concrete motive for doing what they're doing. Unfortunately, there are a few things that don't sit well with me. First of all, Sebastian seems incredibly loyal to Seneca to the point where I suspect he's got a hidden agenda; he praises Seneca even though they don't really accomplish much during their reign, which segues me into my second complaint about them: they come across as very incompetent and not at all deserving of the unwavering and unquestioning loyalty from the military. They shake down villages and turn the public against them, ignore Belle then fall to her little group, and then Seneca deals bloody no damage to Oberon.

This could've been okay if they had some secret plan or ace up their sleeves, but they really don't. In fact, the only thing Sebastian accomplishes is developing an anti-flyer tome because Arynden was developing something similar.

If they managed to do something against Arynden, or we got to hear at least something improving under Seneca's reign as opposed to it all being negative, a lot of my problems would go away. To me it seems wasteful to give them proper motivation and showing Seneca being genuinely regretful, then ending it with them coming across as inefficient as the last queen, whose rule they had well-founded complaints against.

Federica - The woman in charge of the largest spy network in all the land pledges her personal support in helping restore Belle to the throne, something she announces the very first time she meets Belle and her group. Now, I understand that an exhausted, desperate Belle accepts her help immediately, but the fact that Owen and Oona don't react more is really out of character. Oona says "hmm" and Owen says "I can't believe it, just like that, eh?", which might be indicative of their true feelings, and I understand that they wouldn't want to say anything in Belle's presence, but they, along with Sawyer, should definitely have a conversation about this when Belle has gone to sleep, because I simply can't believe someone as careful as Oona or smart as Owen don't consider the potential consequences here.

In fact, that first scene is rather quick in general, to the point that it feels like they all but teleport into the castle and meet the duchess, and that the conversation lasts not longer than five minutes and then they go to bed. Adding another scene would really help a lot here, especially since the lack of trust Owen and Sawyer show Federica at the end of the first arc when she says she wants to rule as steward feels like it's coming out of nowhere.

I should mention that I really love how manipulative she is, don't get me wrong on that. In many ways she's one of the most interesting characters in the game. However, it makes it that much more important that she manages to manipulate people because she's smart, not because the rest of the cast is dumb.

Oberon - This might be a bit more vague, so I apologize if I go against the mood you were trying to set here, but this guy comes across as another Nergal in the way that he lets people who could potentially oppose him in the future go. I realize that he's an arrogant dick who doesn't see them as threats, but that's just the thing, Seneca and Sebastian did the same thing and got their asses handed to them, and it made them look incompetent, now the big bad (?) does the same thing, even though he's got no reason to. Hell, unless he was joking, which it didn't seem like, he was prepared to give Fortuita back to Seneca, the guy who killed the queen just to be able to wage war against him. It doesn't make him look arrogant as much as it makes him look really, really dumb and far less threatening.

I'd also like to mention that Seneca dealing 0 damage to him comes across as an overkill, unless this will become plot relevant in the future. If he's got magical armor or is secretly a dragon or what have you, then it would make sense, especially if Seneca during his redemption story is the one who comes up with a countermeasure or at least warns Belle about it, but as it stands now it just makes him look brutish.

Minor stuff - While I like Belle and have high hopes for her development as a character, I think she dismisses the differences between her and Seneca a bit too easily, especially when she asks him if he knows what trust, loyalty, honor, courage and faith are, because we've just been shown a scene in which all of those traits are displayed by Seneca's men - I really, REALLY love that, but I can't help but wonder if Seneca should point that out and say that, yes, actually, he does know what those words mean.

I get that she's angry, but sometimes it feels like she's fighting more for revenge than for Fortuita. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact I think it would be incredibly interesting if that was expanded upon, but it would require someone pointing that out, which would make for a very interesting scene.

I apologize if this is unwelcome feedback and if I come across as negative, or if it's not up to date, but I want to reiterate that I'm thoroughly impressed by this hack so far. Please keep up the good work.

Edited by Thane

I don't know if my feedback will be any valuable or even welcome, as I've only watched Mangs' let's play due to being both busy and technologically inept, and will thus refrain from making comments about the gameplay However, since I'm always interested in a good story and you guys seem to be taking your writing very seriously, I was thinking of speaking my mind and offer some feedback.

[spoiler=Staff of Ages story spoilers]Let me start off by saying I find the writing overall very good. The characters are likeable and distinct, the humor is great and so is the banter, and the villain of the first arc has some proper motivation and never comes across as a monster. That alone is better than a lot of the entries in the "real" franchise. Please know that so far, if I would've had paid money for this product, I would've been satisfied. I write this in hope that it will be useful, not to be a dick.

However, since I wanted to offer some feedback, I'm not going to mince words, which I think is important while the game is being in development. So far, I've got three main issues.

Seneca and Sebastian - I love the fact that they've got a proper, concrete motive for doing what they're doing. Unfortunately, there are a few things that don't sit well with me. First of all, Sebastian seems incredibly loyal to Seneca to the point where I suspect he's got a hidden agenda; he praises Seneca even though they don't really accomplish much during their reign, which segues me into my second complaint about them: they come across as very incompetent and not at all deserving of the unwavering and unquestioning loyalty from the military. They shake down villages and turn the public against them, ignore Belle then fall to her little group, and then Seneca deals bloody no damage to Oberon.

This could've been okay if they had some secret plan or ace up their sleeves, but they really don't. In fact, the only thing Sebastian accomplishes is developing an anti-flyer tome because Arynden was developing something similar.

If they managed to do something against Arynden, or we got to hear at least something improving under Seneca's reign as opposed to it all being negative, a lot of my problems would go away. To me it seems wasteful to give them proper motivation and showing Seneca being genuinely regretful, then ending it with them coming across as inefficient as the last queen, whose rule they had well-founded complaints against.

Federica - The woman in charge of the largest spy network in all the land pledges her personal support in helping restore Belle to the throne, something she announces the very first time she meets Belle and her group. Now, I understand that an exhausted, desperate Belle accepts her help immediately, but the fact that Owen and Oona don't react more is really out of character. Oona says "hmm" and Owen says "I can't believe it, just like that, eh?", which might be indicative of their true feelings, and I understand that they wouldn't want to say anything in Belle's presence, but they, along with Sawyer, should definitely have a conversation about this when Belle has gone to sleep, because I simply can't believe someone as careful as Oona or smart as Owen don't consider the potential consequences here.

In fact, that first scene is rather quick in general, to the point that it feels like they all but teleport into the castle and meet the duchess, and that the conversation lasts not longer than five minutes and then they go to bed. Adding another scene would really help a lot here, especially since the lack of trust Owen and Sawyer show Federica at the end of the first arc when she says she wants to rule as steward feels like it's coming out of nowhere.

I should mention that I really love how manipulative she is, don't get me wrong on that. In many ways she's one of the most interesting characters in the game. However, it makes it that much more important that she manages to manipulate people because she's smart, not because the rest of the cast is dumb.

Oberon - This might be a bit more vague, so I apologize if I go against the mood you were trying to set here, but this guy comes across as another Nergal in the way that he lets people who could potentially oppose him in the future go. I realize that he's an arrogant dick who doesn't see them as threats, but that's just the thing, Seneca and Sebastian did the same thing and got their asses handed to them, and it made them look incompetent, now the big bad (?) does the same thing, even though he's got no reason to. Hell, unless he was joking, which it didn't seem like, he was prepared to give Fortuita back to Seneca, the guy who killed the queen just to be able to wage war against him. It doesn't make him look arrogant as much as it makes him look really, really dumb and far less threatening.

I'd also like to mention that Seneca dealing 0 damage to him comes across as an overkill, unless this will become plot relevant in the future. If he's got magical armor or is secretly a dragon or what have you, then it would make sense, especially if Seneca during his redemption story is the one who comes up with a countermeasure or at least warns Belle about it, but as it stands now it just makes him look brutish.

Minor stuff - While I like Belle and have high hopes for her development as a character, I think she dismisses the differences between her and Seneca a bit too easily, especially when she asks him if he knows what trust, loyalty, honor, courage and faith are, because we've just been shown a scene in which all of those traits are displayed by Seneca's men - I really, REALLY love that, but I can't help but wonder if Seneca should point that out and say that, yes, actually, he does know what those words mean.

I get that she's angry, but sometimes it feels like she's fighting more for revenge than for Fortuita. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact I think it would be incredibly interesting if that was expanded upon, but it would require someone pointing that out, which would make for a very interesting scene.

I apologize if this is unwelcome feedback and if I come across as negative, or if it's not up to date, but I want to reiterate that I'm thoroughly impressed by this hack so far. Please keep up the good work.

Passed along to the writers, one of them will probably respond later.

Thanks for your feedback !

[spoiler=Staff of Ages story spoilers]

Seneca and Sebastian: A few things happen off-screen Fortuita wise, and I do think you have a point in saying that not much seems to be happening that is told to the player. I'll look into it with the other writers ! I'd elaborate on the rest but it'd go into spoiler territories :x

Rika: We have a few changes in mind when it comes to Rika and how people interact with her/express how they feel about her (and mostly the build up to Sawyer's outburst after 1-F

Oberon: I'll bring the first points to the rest of the writing team. As for the rest we might change the damage Seneca would deal to the bird-mask guy ~

Minor stuff: She does fight more for revenge than for Fortuita, she does care about Fortuita and she tells herself that she fights for it, but it's deeply rooted in vengeance. We have plans for Belle in the future but I won't elaborate on something that isn't out yet :p

Thanks for your feedback !

[spoiler=Staff of Ages story spoilers]

Seneca and Sebastian: A few things happen off-screen Fortuita wise, and I do think you have a point in saying that not much seems to be happening that is told to the player. I'll look into it with the other writers ! I'd elaborate on the rest but it'd go into spoiler territories :x

Rika: We have a few changes in mind when it comes to Rika and how people interact with her/express how they feel about her (and mostly the build up to Sawyer's outburst after 1-F

Oberon: I'll bring the first points to the rest of the writing team. As for the rest we might change the damage Seneca would deal to the bird-mask guy ~

Minor stuff: She does fight more for revenge than for Fortuita, she does care about Fortuita and she tells herself that she fights for it, but it's deeply rooted in vengeance. We have plans for Belle in the future but I won't elaborate on something that isn't out yet :p

Sounds awesome, my friend, I especially like what you said about Belle. I hope I didn't come across as overly harsh in my feedback.

Good luck to you and your team, I'll be looking forward to seeing (and eventually playing, I promise!) more of the game!

From a technical standpoint, it's logical that Seneca deals 0 damage to him. Seneca has 18 Attack power (12 Strength + 6 might from Épée) and 18 defense is not THAT exaggerate for a big bad guy, even if he is a mage.

I finally got around to playing this and gotta say, love everything, every character not only feels unique, but has their own purpose, and no two characters (Besides Charles and Elijah) really make others obsolete. I do have a few critiques on the story though.

1.Owen and Sawyer need to have something before the route split that shows their disdain for Fredrica, because when i played, i felt that came out of nowhere, the route split, them disliking Fredrica, just everything in general involving that.

2. Fredrica is way too nice, even if you intended It, she's not remotely likeable because she's just too damn nice, even if you plan to have her betray Belle Later, she's still acting way to nice presently for that to be believable later on.

3.While on the subject of characters acting in an odd way, basically all the Bosses Aligned with Fortuita, they all act a bit too malicious. I'm sure even the least loyal among them should have felt a little remorse for following Seneca, at this point it seems like they are all evil, and if you Humanizing Seneca as you seem to be, you should do the Same for the Rest of the Fortuitains as well, because currently a lot of them just seem evil.

Edited by Yetiplays

I finally got around to playing this and gotta say, love everything, every character not only feels unique, but has their own purpose, and no two characters (Besides Charles and Elijah) really make others obsolete. I do have a few critiques on the story though.

1.Owen and Sawyer need to have something before the route split that shows their disdain for Fredrica, because when i played, i felt that came out of nowhere, the route split, them disliking Fredrica, just everything in general involving that.

2. Fredrica is way too nice, even if you intended It, she's not remotely likeable because she's just too damn nice, even if you plan to have her betray Belle Later, she's still acting way to nice presently for that to be believable later on.

3.While on the subject of characters acting in an odd way, basically all the Bosses Aligned with Fortuita, they all act a bit too malicious. I'm sure even the least loyal among them should have felt a little remorse for following Seneca, at this point it seems like they are all evil, and if you Humanizing Seneca as you seem to be, you should do the Same for the Rest of the Fortuitains as well, because currently a lot of them just seem evil.

I think we're already addressing all of those concerns lol.

As for characters, as the cast grows some people probably won't feel as unique. Everyone will still be viable, but some units will be more viable than others, if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

No [that's not something that can be "fixed"]:

The siege user in 1-10 is gone, siege tomes now have 7 uses instead of 10, 1-11 and 1-F siege users are unchanged, except for the ballista who got deleted from 1-11.

Edited by Bedimal Eliwan

10 uses on siege tomes is really annoying. is this going to be fixed in the next patch?

Something being annoying doesn't imply that it's broken, it's something that can be changed (which it is, if you bothered to read a few pages back).

So, we're transitioning to the MAKEHACK/buildfile method for SoA, since FEditor is dogshit and breaks our stuff.

This doesn't really change anything on your end, but you will need to make a clean save when the next version releases, because I tried using a non buildfile save and this happened:

unknown.png

So keep that in mind, and I'll definitely be reminding you to start over when the next version releases.