Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

Damn. That blows. Props for getting it to work. Maybe when I have time could you show me what you did to get the Hexing Rod to work in the first place? I think I making the AI not be dumb about using it if I can figure out how it works. Or is that just a "we're keeping this ASM hidden for now until the hack is complete?"

I don't know about the AI stuff but the code currently needs an overhaul so the hp restoring part works properly (which is why it's in 1-F and not earlier).

Also don't know when the code is being released since I wasn't the one who made it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hexing rod code, as it stands, is fairly hardcoded. In order to get it to revert back to the normal HP, we have to run a special code at the end of chapter (Which is currently not working). If we were to release this code, then it would have to be that the user has to do nothing special in order to get it to work, which it cannot do as of now.

At any rate, this hexing rod stuff needs a redo, cause I broke many a thing whilst making it...

The hexing rod code, as it stands, is fairly hardcoded. In order to get it to revert back to the normal HP, we have to run a special code at the end of chapter (Which is currently not working). If we were to release this code, then it would have to be that the user has to do nothing special in order to get it to work, which it cannot do as of now.

At any rate, this hexing rod stuff needs a redo, cause I broke many a thing whilst making it...

Fair enough. I'm not very knowledgeable on this aspect of FE hacking, but do you mind if I ask this: can you make new status effects? Perhaps you can make one called "enfeebled?" So that way the AI would ignore the character like they do for any other status effect when inflicted with it? I need to get back into hacking again. It's been too long.

Fair enough. I'm not very knowledgeable on this aspect of FE hacking, but do you mind if I ask this: can you make new status effects? Perhaps you can make one called "enfeebled?" So that way the AI would ignore the character like they do for any other status effect when inflicted with it? I need to get back into hacking again. It's been too long.

If we used a status effect then it could just be fixed with restore, which we don't want.

Look at it this way; with tweaks to the hexing rod, the hexing rod could have more uses than just... 1. You can safely use it more than once in this engine. You could get creative by having nasty traps with reinforcements that have Hexing Rods to muck with you to kill you for quick kills if you aren't paying attention. And that's my thing here. I want it tweaked because fixing it to the way that was suggested by Niddo would be amazing.

Yeah that would be interesting, this clears things up a lot too.

So to stop it from targeting the same unit....usually res is the variable used for the AI to determine which character to hit, I think anyways. Maybe you could program it to check for HP instead, so they would actually target the character with the highest HP. If it was possible to make it use a formula that involved both res and HP it would be even better, but either way usually the units with the highest HP have low res anyways. Not sure if any of this would be possible, just brainstorming. Another thing to keep in mind, lets say it DID hit the same unit twice... you would have to make sure that when you call the special code at the end of the battle, that it would revert back to "normal" instead of just reverting the effects of one of the hexing rod attacks.

Course all this would depend on if you guys can even get the code working, and make it somehow wear off slowly. =P

Man lots of code for a stupid staff lol. It is neat though and impressive coding.

Edited by urug99

Are S supports in this game

*facepalm/head hitting desk* there is no such thing as doing S supports in romhacking/gba the only thing that is technically like a S Support is a Paired Ending if you Get a A rank with a certain character

*facepalm/head hitting desk* there is no such thing as doing S supports in romhacking/gba the only thing that is technically like a S Support is a Paired Ending if you Get a A rank with a certain character

don't feed the troll

>Implying they can't be haxed in

Edited by Chronic procrastinator

Minor status update:

• The siege user in 1-10 is gone, siege tomes now have 7 uses instead of 10, 1-11 and 1-F siege users are unchanged, except for the ballista who got deleted from 1-11.
  • Dulam (dark siege tome) has 65% base hit instead of 70%
  • S2-1 is done, 15 chapters to go for Act 2. End me.
  • As always, some units have been tweaked but I'm dumb and didn't write it down anywhere. But trust me it happened.

I'm done with finals on the 13th so I'll hopefully have more time to focus on this, assuming I can get a list of changes together there might be a release with the fixes before the end of the year. Although frankly I can't remember everything that was supposed to be fixed so who knows if it'll happen or not.

Like I said before there might just not be a release until half of act 2 is done, there's a decent chance of a "1.6.5" or a "1.7" (version numbering is fucking arbitrary man) release, but don't get upset if it doesn't happen.

Huzzah, less siege spam!

The only idea I have for changing up 11 any more is making the druid into a Shaman and moving him down a tile so you can nail him with people besides Stark if he has a longbow.

I'm aware of the slowdown in 11 and Final, not really sure how it could be fixed though, aside from reducing enemy count at the start and having more show up later.

Just kidding I lied about not changing the siege stuff in 1-F:

• The sage that comes in as a reinforcement on turn 6 has a bolting instead of Meteor.
  • The treasure room sage doesn't have a siege tome anymore.
  • The Druid with Dulam has a sleep staff instead of Dulam.

And for 1-F in general I removed some of the units from the map to hopefully lessen the lag that is encountered when things get a bit crowded.

For 1-10 and 1-11 some of the enemies you wouldn't fight until later in the map have been converted into reinforcements that come a couple turns in, which will hopefully fix the slowdown issue in those maps.

Hopefully the 1-10 changes work out as expected. That was a particularly bad map for me with its never ending reinforcements.

Also yaaaaay no siege tome in the treasure room. That was a complete ball breaker and momentum killer.

Hopefully the 1-10 changes work out as expected. That was a particularly bad map for me with its never ending reinforcements.

Also yaaaaay no siege tome in the treasure room. That was a complete ball breaker and momentum killer.

All the siege didn't really mesh well with our design philosophy, so I made appropriate changes.

the reinforcements in 10 definitely have an end lol

Minor status update:

• The siege user in 1-10 is gone, siege tomes now have 7 uses instead of 10, 1-11 and 1-F siege users are unchanged, except for the ballista who got deleted from 1-11.
  • Dulam (dark siege tome) has 65% base hit instead of 70%
  • S2-1 is done, 15 chapters to go for Act 2. End me.
  • As always, some units have been tweaked but I'm dumb and didn't write it down anywhere. But trust me it happened.

I'm done with finals on the 13th so I'll hopefully have more time to focus on this, assuming I can get a list of changes together there might be a release with the fixes before the end of the year. Although frankly I can't remember everything that was supposed to be fixed so who knows if it'll happen or not.

Like I said before there might just not be a release until half of act 2 is done, there's a decent chance of a "1.6.5" or a "1.7" (version numbering is fucking arbitrary man) release, but don't get upset if it doesn't happen.

oh god 15 more maps to go seems like a while that is coming from a guy that kinda has a project of sorts (in that i came up with a plot and made 10 maps for fun) but yeah when it comes to programming not like planning everything (scripts, maps, portraits etc) i bet it is a hellhole

All the siege didn't really mesh well with our design philosophy, so I made appropriate changes.

the reinforcements in 10 definitely have an en

Just kidding I lied about not changing the siege stuff in 1-F:

• The sage that comes in as a reinforcement on turn 6 has a bolting instead of Meteor.
  • The treasure room sage doesn't have a siege tome anymore.
  • The Druid with Dulam has a sleep staff instead of Dulam.

And for 1-F in general I removed some of the units from the map to hopefully lessen the lag that is encountered when things get a bit crowded.

For 1-10 and 1-11 some of the enemies you wouldn't fight until later in the map have been converted into reinforcements that come a couple turns in, which will hopefully fix the slowdown issue in those maps.

is there arena for us to grind and promote class?

is there arena for us to grind and promote class?

There are no arenas or promotion items in act 1. Promotion items will be available in act 2, arenas will be rare and any map they appear on will be on a time limit to prevent abuse.

time limit means number of times u can go for arena ?

The number of turns you have to complete the map, so the number of turns you have to use the arena is limited.

From a design standpoint I loathe arena abuse as it trivializes the game, so I'm taking steps to prevent that.

The number of turns you have to complete the map, so the number of turns you have to use the arena is limited.

From a design standpoint I loathe arena abuse as it trivializes the game, so I'm taking steps to prevent that.

as pretty much all hacks do (and the only time one would allow arena abusing is like the last couple maps where its like hey your going to need level 20/20 units so here have a turn count or in a situation where savestates arent a thing but then again that wouldnt be romhacking)