FE3 Book 1 & Book 2 Low Turns Run (BOOK 1 COMPLETE)

Espinosa

Book 2 Planning  

15 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the future Book 2 run?

2. 2. (tick everyone who matters) Units to be trained for longterm use

Just buy one whip for palla. You get one in chapter 7 for Catria anyway. Depending on if you're in a hurry to promote Linda or not, a bishop ring might be useful because you want to promote Yumina on time for chapter stupid ass desert slog, and there's only one ring until chapter 14.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How tight are funds? I don't believe you can sell weapons while in the convoy so you might have to find time for units to sell unneeded weapons during battle.

If you are intending to promote Linde early, the ring takes priority over the whip: Yumina promoting saves turns on Ch.11 whereas I don't see any places an early wyvern saves turns. Will definitely improve reliability however. I imagine the pegs are fairly decent indoors with okay stats and good weapon ranks (+Lady Sword), so improving stats will help there as well.

This is a down-the-road question, but where are you planning to invest the Again staff uses? Also, would it be worth making a sacrifice somewhere and then reviving a unit with Aum?

Edited by feplus

Erm... I'm not sure what Fina could fight safely... And I'm sure that more often than not, you'd be better off having her dance anyways.

If 10 mov Fina turns out to be more beneficial for turn counts, she will be obliged to be a competent combat unit. And I do think she will occasionally have remarkably little to do after dancing Marth before one of them gets the boots. Being able to take hits will be valuable for Fina in maps like chapter 14 anyway, and if she takes hits she might as well fight back and slay enemies.

Palla's bases are so good that she doesn't need the levels. She can probably cap Str/Skl/Spd/Def with the few levels she gained in previous chapters under her belt, especially since orbs are a thing. Catria promoting could be helpful but I think you can afford to wait for a little while longer on that one.

EDIT Also because the whips cost a lot of money, so you probably don't want to buy too many.

One whip costs 10K when you still don't have much money (you might have a Silver Axe to sell by that point but that's about it). I doubt it's possible to buy two, but it's most likely not needed.

Just buy one whip for palla. You get one in chapter 7 for Catria anyway. Depending on if you're in a hurry to promote Linda or not, a bishop ring might be useful because you want to promote Yumina on time for chapter stupid ass desert slog, and there's only one ring until chapter 14.

I can always promote Paola with the C7 whip and Katua with the C9 whip, unless it turns out I need 10 mov + flight to get the C7 whip on time.

Unless I somehow need 6 mov Yumina to Rescue Marth after he visits Minerva's village in C9, she can wait until the last moment to promote for the desert. At base L2 and likely using Rescue (58 exp) just once before the desert, getting her to L10 will be a long journey of constantly using the Relive staff Julian came with every turn.

Linda getting better stats is sure to be helpful, but I don't think I will be in a terrible rush to include her in the ranks of my staff users. Her promotion can wait.

How tight are funds? I don't believe you can sell weapons while in the convoy so you might have to find time for units to sell unneeded weapons during battle.

If you are intending to promote Linde early, the ring takes priority over the whip: Yumina promoting saves turns on Ch.11 whereas I don't see any places an early wyvern saves turns. Will definitely improve reliability however. I imagine the pegs are fairly decent indoors with okay stats and good weapon ranks (+Lady Sword), so improving stats will help there as well.

This is a down-the-road question, but where are you planning to invest the Again staff uses? Also, would it be worth making a sacrifice somewhere and then reviving a unit with Aum?

Well, you start with 10K in chapter 1, and early on there's a Silver Axe and at least one Knight Crest that can be sold (you could theoretically sell both if Cecil isn't trained). You get a bit of cash from thieves that don't hold any items. Since Wendell has to take the long way to recruit Elren, somebody like George or even promoted Navarre could maybe open the 10K gold chest - oh wait, Chest Keys don't come until C12... Then I suppose Marth could riverwalk and open them with the Fire Emblem while I somehow arrange Wendel & Elren's meeting.

Promoting cavs and pegs does naught for them indoors, as the default Knight class has the same fixed bases.

I only have 3 Again uses so it could be simply used as an improved Warp in the later maps. I have a feeling I will really need it for Mediuth, but I can't know what other uses it will have until I'm done with my mock run.

I bought three Dragon Whips in a 0% growths run by selling off a bunch of stuff like the Lady Sword which you would probably want to hold on too. Knight Crest is less valuable because you get a lot of those throughout the course of the game anyways and you're probably not promoting too many cavaliers.

If 10 mov Fina turns out to be more beneficial for turn counts, she will be obliged to be a competent combat unit. And I do think she will occasionally have remarkably little to do after dancing Marth before one of them gets the boots. Being able to take hits will be valuable for Fina in maps like chapter 14 anyway, and if she takes hits she might as well fight back and slay enemies.

I see. I was curious, more than anything else.

Chapter 16 (Camus's map) is cleared in 4 turns. One of the run's highlights, though Camus himself wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated (luckwise certainly).

Highlight: 4 Paladins charge Marth. All miss. Three get BOOM HEADSHOTTED for their trouble.

Nah, Book 1. You said in the video description that it didn't save any turns, anyways.

Yeah, it comes too late to be of any use. The reason I'm visiting the village is because that's the only way of recruiting Est, and this is a full recruitment LTC run.

I wouldn't have done much with the Rescue staff if it had come earlier anyway... Probably would've spammed Reblow way more liberally and maybe repaired the first Silver Lance so that Sheeda could ORKO a bunch of earlygame enemies for a ton of levelups.

Looking back though, it wasn't really necessary to have a super strong growth unit and turn counts didn't suffer much without either a super Sheeda or a consistently blessed Abel/Cain. Now, if all my mounts had totally sucked, that would've been a different story altogether...

Full recruitment, that's Est's recruitment trigger. Gah, beaten to it. Still, that was a very clean Negro Camus kill.

Edited by X-Naut

Yeah, I was surprised at how cleanly you did it. Also totally forgot about Est despite recruiting her myself. Weird how that recruitments is linked.

Edited by Refa

Uploaded Book 1's final chapter:

Also featuring no speed-up so that you can listen to the unique soundtrack for once. The win/loss ratio cited in the video description reveal people have hardly killed many enemies on this run, and that's mostly without wasting combat exp on units I ended dropping (besides cases like Oguma, who got 9 kills, or Julian, who got 4).

Progress on Book 2 is halted right now but I'll be sure to return to it eventually.

Yeah, it's a shame about the turn count. I think I could've shaved it down to 7399 if I'd actually tried!

Joking aside, the only way to improve the total turn count in Book 1 is by designing a new warp allocation plan, because even the clears that depended on low (or lowish) percent crits were successfully carried out. I certainly can't find anything to be improved atm.

And yet, Medeus is still tougher than he was in FE11.

It's pretty cool that all that training for Kashim paid off. Truly, he was the real hero in the end.

Edited by Refa

And yet, Medeus is still tougher than he was in FE11.

I dunno, relying on a sub 10% crit from Tiki or Auming her means admitting he's actually tough enough to kill people!

Congrats on finishing Book 1. It's pretty funny how Kashim owned despite losing his promotion bonuses from dismount. Horseman promo bonuses suck (except the mov!).

Edited by Irysa

At least your units in FE11 can actually damage Mediuth! Halving units' attack (and not damage) is pretty ridiculous without the Falchion obtained.

It's pretty cool that all that training for Kashim paid off. Truly, he was the real hero in the end.

Yeah, but in this way he's sorta like Lilina in balls-to-the-wall FE6 LTCs where you train her just for the Bolting crits during the Endgame. He actually had the #1 kills at the end of the game - a bowlocked unit! Pretty unthinkable, but really just a testament to this game's enemy density I believe.

Kashim probably stands a decent chance to be featured in Book 2 LTC runs. Jeorge can wield Partia at base now, but Kashim can get a mount and get superior stats through levelups. He's always really useful right off the bat with better bases and Killer Bow access (and not very far from promotion), and I can imagine different sorts of utility for him like sniping sorcerers through the walls in indoor maps. In any case, can good 2-range (in a game where Javelins cannot double) on a 9 mov unit be a bad thing? He's only 4 wlv procs away from Partia too, and can probably get there w/o a Manual.

I wonder if people who voted for Merrich to be used longterm think it's a good idea to have two bishops in this game, because Linda seems a whole lot more delicious with her earlygame availability and Aura. Certainly, Excalibur is one hell of an effective weapon this time around, but you know how we play in these types of runs - if it's not shaving off turns or making the reliability more plausible, we just do it the hard way.

Excalibur is ridiculously OP, and you probably have time to Train Merric, and having another warp/again/whatever staff user is always going to be handy, and it's better than using someone awful like Mallesia. Merric's also significantly more durable than Linda (and Yumina), for what it's worth (double her HP and def growths) so he might be better in some situations where you might need 1-2 range to blast a bunch of stuff. Resire is also pretty heavy to be effective for tanking much other than thwomps or something. I'd say it's worth it, you have to recruit everyone anyway. Kashim's bases are ok, but I don't see him being particularly useful, or any better than Jeorge really. He's outclassed by several outdoor units and Jeorge is better inside thanks to +1 move, I'd say Jeorge is your best bet if you want an indoor Parthia dude, and he's much worse than someone like Merric inside.

also train Feena as much as possible, the more durability on her the better (and Mercurius Feena is the best)

Edited by General Horace

I'm sure I have *time* to train Merrich but experience is still a p valuable resource. I mean, which characters are getting exp here?

- Marth obviously. Whether 11 mov or 7 mov, he will be forced to see a ton of combat with Warp's poor availability in this game.

- Paola. You use her because she's good at the things she does and she naturally caps the right stats, being so close to the desired 20s very early into the game - even speed will be capped shortly without extreme effort to do so.

- Katua. Basically a second Paola for all intents and purposes; there are enough promotion items to promote both of them early on.

- Navarre. I need a mobile indoor unit and Navarre competes with Oguma better this time around, with better bases and growths and an invaluable Feena support.

- Feena. She still competes with other units for combat experience and though she'll get a lot of her stat boosts early on from boosters rather than levelups, these will just help turn her into a competent combat unit. There isn't too much to do after the first dance she gives; at least, if she's not getting the boots (?).

- Cecil. The best of the early cavs; her exact utility is questionable when the flier girls can also use the Lady Sword dismounted, have better starting stats and one can nullify the arrow bonus with the super-early Iote Shield. I didn't include her name on either poll because it seemed obvious that she'd be a reliable unit yet not one to dominate the whole game, but right now I'm wondering if I should be investing into her training at all. Alan does the job well enough better other "growth" units (can you call Paola and Katua that really?) arrive.

- Rody/Luke. Rody works better in tandem with Cecil, but I'm really not sure I have the time for him at all.

- Yumina. The exp she receives in order to promote is not in any visible conflict with the other units, besides requiring money for an expensive staff for more exp maybe. Will want to promote before the desert and I'm not sure I'll have the time to do it earlier and if it will be necessary for any turn shaves.

- Linda. With her availability and tome collection, the obvious mage to train.

- Merrich. An additional staffer I may or may not need when Wendel at base can use everything besides Again (Watch is 11 wlv but do I really need it for anything?).

These units are useful at base and if they happen to level up and gain stats that's fine too:

- Sirius. Probably good enough to receive actual training and not just be used for a while.

- Minerva.

- Jeorge.

- Chiki.

- Wendel for staves.

- Other units like Abel, Astria and Samson could see some situational use.

- Chainey. I might give him a robe lol.

More questionable cases:

- Gordin. Promoting him allows him to get to Jeorge sooner, but this may not be at all necessary if Marth isn't rescued after recruiting Banutu (plenty of time to get to Jeorge even for a 5 mov unit).

- Mallesia. I can always have her use Thief without any training, and she will never use Hammerne because that costs a shitton of turns and saves absolutely none (afaict).

- Kashim. I can see a mounted Partia user being beneficial. Jeorge should do the same things he does indoors (and can do things like walk on water in Ellerean's map to boot). I'll have to pay attention during the first test run if any maps strike me as requiring a 9 mov Partia / general bow user dude.

Also gotta ask myself if I care about the Falchion this time around. I can send a 6 mov bishop to where Gharnef is waiting easier with the help of the Again staff, but it's hard to say how many turns it costs and subsequently saves. There's no more Earth Orb to trivialise Mediuth, and I should think we're not using Warp and/or Rescue on that map (an Again shot seems oh so urgent however).