FE3 Book 1 & Book 2 Low Turns Run (BOOK 1 COMPLETE)

Espinosa

Book 2 Planning  

15 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the future Book 2 run?

2. 2. (tick everyone who matters) Units to be trained for longterm use

Resetting the game each time, I can't seem to kill the boss without giving Marth a level-up that isn't +skl/lck or +skl/lck/hp. Considering how wildly Lena's level-ups change after the Warp on nearly every attempt, you'd think the RNG really is "reset", but so many attempts in, I haven't had a single Marth level-up different from these two, so it makes you think it's fixed in some way. Marth's skill growth is only 40% so it's not random that he always procs it on successful attempts.

Just how does the RNG work on this game? How does it work in SNES FE in general? Do we know?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting.

I guess that explains why all 3 of Oguma's level-ups so far have been +skl/lck/wlv, even though his skl growth is 20% and his HP growth is 80%... I mean, he's had other level-ups besides that and much better ones, but these were the ones I ended up keeping. Samson may end up the better Hero than him at this point... Really should've focused on Navarre instead.

Nice to see that this run is still going. Abel surely was the big hero here. No interest in training Cain aswell? For a minute I thought you forgot all about the enemy thief units, but glad to see you killed them in the end. Keep it up!

Nice to see that this run is still going. Abel surely was the big hero here. No interest in training Cain aswell? For a minute I thought you forgot all about the enemy thief units, but glad to see you killed them in the end. Keep it up!

Thanks. There's definitely a shortage of exp to go around in this run, and you can't really afford to train everyone who's simply a good character objectively. Abel had a nice head start against Cain in chapter 2 while performing Doga's duty, and while I still used Cain for his movement and good bases, he mostly just weakened enemies for others to kill. The first Knight Crest comes soon in chapter 10, but it's likely the only one that will make a difference because of how late the next one comes. I use Hardin more than Cain because of his better bases, but between chapters 4-7, he never gained a level either.

Edited by Espinosa

Okay, chapter 8 6-turned. This must've been one of the tougher chapters to do, because manipulating the dracos to not kill Sheeda and getting Minerva to not fly away from Marth required some careful rehearsals, but at least it wasn't down to luck. Speaking about RNG-related stuff, it looks like Sheeda proccing a Silver Lance crit on the Hero attacking her causes her to always get a +str levelup 100% of the time, and I have a feeling this works not only against that Hero in that particular map.

Level-ups were generally good (Hardin, Sheeda, Kashim) except for Minerva's first levelup which sucked bigtime.

Doing the George/Linda map now, and I wonder if I should send Minerva and Sheeda up and dismount them to face the bow users, ballistians and cavs there, or play more carefully and lure only a few of the enemies while going all the way around with cavalry. Sheeda has pretty damn good avo to try sitting on a fort and hitting stuff with, like, Silver Sword or Kill Sword or something.

Also, I'll see if I can upload chapter 4 later tonight.

True, if the crit RN is used to generate the level-up, the str proc would be guaranteed with a non-crit weapon - at least RNs 1-23 will produce that outcome, unless I goofed up calculating that.

Lmao I completely messed up the stat order, remind me not to try computing anything when I'm tired. But it'd seem like that page is somewhat misleading as to how the level-ups work; if the first raw RN was indeed multiplied by 100/256 it'd be impossible to NOT proc str on someone with a 38+ growth in it, and your Ogma already proved that claim to not hold true.

Edited by Topazd

I wonder if there are any more RNG-in-use tricks that would be useful to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3hvuZldl8

So I did get around to uploading chapter 4 (7-turned).

Any idea who should get the first Speed Ring? I do get another one in chapter 14, after killing the chapter's boss. +5 spd could be a very substantial boost to the offence of whoever happens to receive the item. Some possible candidates are - 1) Marth. Already at 12 speed in chapter 9, he could actually cap the stat before he reaches his level cap (if that even happens), and his swords are light enough to double stuff with. +5 avo is always helpful for combat-heavy enemy phases. 2) Kashim. He's got only 8 spd, which makes doubling enemies with the right bow hard. However, he lacks EP combat and could be simply fed his kills instead until he reaches his 20 strength. If he wants anything, it's the Power Ring imho. 3) Minerva. She's also got 12 speed at base, but 17 is nice and allows her to dominate and have effective enemy phase combat. I'm not sure if she really will be outclassing Sheeda by the time the latter promotes though. 4) any unit using heavy weaponry like lances, including Hardin or even Abel (who's already at nice 12 speed).

...and I guess that's about it. As potent as the item is, it's not exactly terribly desired right now, it seems.

Definitely Minerva. Helps her double with the stronger lances (and Minerva can fly whereas noone else benefit as much from the Speed Ring and can do the same). Abel and Hardin are also good choices, and by that I mean Hardin because your Abel is kind of ridiculous anyways.

Minerva > Hardin > Abel > Marth > Castor

Hardin and Abel have promotion bonuses and higher growths, and I can't imagine the speed making or breaking anything huge for Marth, who could actually see enemy phase, and Castor.

Edited by bottlegnomes

After finally getting around to watching the videos, why are you actually giving Julian exp? I don't imagine the lost exp on other units will matter a whole lot in the long run, but I can't see a reason to use him at all.

edit: Camus even has 65 avoid... Just what the hell...

15 Luck plus gate's stupid 30 Avoid plus weapon weight has no effect on Avoid in this game.

Huh. I didn't know that.

The best part was Able dodging a 91 displayed hit and then crit-killing the enemy in return.

BOOM HEADSHOT!

why not just warp Marth to get the boots chest? You can even use them the turn you open the chest.

I've considered that. Marth ends up wasting a bunch of turns having to open the door for himself, killing the enemies in his way to the boss (I was also worried it might take more than 1 turn since they like to clog up space and Marth can only do it alone), killing the boss and seizing. Might as well 2-turn it with a double Warp. Using 11 move still falls short of reaching the boss, and the Bishops have weird AI that makes them block Marth's path to the boss even though they can't attack. The mages should catch up with Marth soon enough, and he can't counterkill them on EP.

Also, I've added a YouTube playlist link to the OP.

Edited by Espinosa

I have some notes on the AI in that chapter from a scrapped low turn run, the bishops will move if you weaken an enemy on the map somewhere (even the knights way up top or something), so you can warp Marth to the chest, have him kill all the soldiers on the EP, open the door on turn 2, kill the boss on turn 3, and seize on turn 4.

Actually if you need any saves (i think you've probably played through the game by now and don't need them) I have them too. I didn't notice this topic until you'd uploaded chapter 3 sadly.

Edited by General Horace

Hmmm... I guess that could save a turn in the entire run by preserving a Warp use for, like, chapter 11/12? Pretty useful indeed.

I no longer have my C10 save from the hacked test/trial run, but I do recall the Bishops rushing in Marth's direction even though I didn't injure anyone up north. Could be wrong though; might've weakened the Rapier thief or left one of the silver soldiers alive by breaking my Iron Sword at the wrong time. Could you send your saves my way so that I can re-check it?

edit: also, 11 move Marth can only target the boss at 2-range on the next turn following opening the door. Are you implying he gets the bosskill with, like, the Thunder Sword?

Edited by Espinosa

Marth has to kill the soldiers on turn 1 (give him a killing edge or silver sword depending on his stats probably) otherwise the bishops will aggro towards Marth (and the soldiers). You'll have to weaken one of the north enemies to get them out of the way. For the bosskill, you can put sheeda north of marth (beyond the wall) to give him 10 hit/avo/crit to make your life easier too. He doesn't do any damage to the boss with the thunder sword anyway.

as for my saves... I appear to have left my USB with all my saves on it at work (i'm home for lunch now) so I'll post them all after I get home from work ~4 hours or so. Luckily, I have a chapter 10 save since one of my current save files happens to be there.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/d8rh1d

Confirming the 4-turn works exactly as you said.

Is this from an unrestricted LTC run by the way? Your characters in use look pretty unrestricted, but that trained Roshea makes me think otherwise.

Characters like Biraku would actually be pretty usable if they were available in Book 2 with all those shards...