Thoughts on Fighters?

kantoorfarina

I'm trying not to do these sorts of threads, but I have to ask. Thoughts on Fighters?

I can't stand Fighters, and this is coming from someone who's favorite class is Knight. Garcia was decent when promoted, Ross was decent as well, but even the ones I consider good are really unreliable with their low skill and speed. Geitz is the exception. However to be fair, I haven't used many fighters and I've heard good things about Barst and Charlotte so I'm trying those out when I get the chance.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on the character, although they tend to have select uses and can be blessed.

I tend to like Lott in FE6 due to the stupidly high HP Soldiers (Ward is also actually handy even with iffy Axe hit rate due to the WTA vs these guys and the early game Knights), and I like Bartre in FE6 because he has 20 base str and can use Bows with that str, and he comes with a Brave Axe.

I also like Garcia in FE8.

Dorcas is always hit and miss for me, but on the other hand Barst, Boyd, Nolan and others are pretty solid.

Edited by Jedi

There's not much inherently wrong with the class itself, but many of the units belonging to it are questionable.

Well, I say 'many' but thinking about it more, there are less terrible fighters than people seem to give credit.

Barst is good, Orsin and Halvan are legends, GBA fighters aren't the best but Lott and Garcia can be helpful and Geitz is the best FE7 bow user imo, and more.

So overall I guess Fighters are alright in my book, though I do generally prefer Pirates/Berserkers.

I largely can't stand them - a good deal of them are rather questionable, particularly the GBA era fighters. Axes being my least favorite weapon type overall doesn't help... While they might promote to Berserker in Fates, recent discoveries have me feeling... rather cynical about that option.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Adding on to my thoughts...

Garcia was really bad for me before promotion. He was getting doubled, and if you're getting doubled in Sacred Stones that's really bad. He usually had a 30-55% Hit Rate. Still, he was average after promotion. I really just don't find Fighters reliable enough since they tend to end up frail for me and the general Speed and Skill isn't helping. I'm fond of Geitz because he's a pre promote and he has good Speed.

Edited by kantoorfarina

I like axes, but I feel the class has been lackluster overall. FE5 is one game they're pretty good in, Dagda is pretty great and Othin is beast--though mostly through his superaxe, anyway. Halvan's solid too. I feel they're kinda really meh in GBA (Geitz is the only one I like, and even then I still prefer Hawkeye over him, even on HHM) and I can't really comment on Tellius either since I played both of them exactly once and used a grand total of 3 foot units in PoR Ike inclusive.

Barst was pretty good, but he's kind of an anomaly considering a lot of other FE11 people are shit and also better reclassed. Fighter MU is a solid option for FE12L as a starting class, but mostly for being the only option that gives him an axe rank which lets him use Hauteclere effectively (he'd likely want to go to a different class after prologue, like Pirate/Zerker or Draco depending on chapter), whereas other good options like Knight wouldn't wouldn't give the axe rank for Berserker late game.

Usually if I want an axe user, I go for Heroes and Elibe/Tellius Paladin(equivalents) and Tellius/DS/3DS Dracos. Not fighters.

Or Hawkeye. Fucking love Hawkeye.

Design-wise I feel they're generally boring in GBA (although Geitz, again, is pretty good in that aspect too, but he's a prepromote anyway and i usually prefer prepromote designs since they tend to be more detailed), pretty solid in Tellius (which has solid designs overall), and pretty wtf for the 3ds games -- and I mean, I actually do like a bunch of the 3ds class designs, esp in fates, but fighter is pretty bad in both awakening and fates aesthetically. I hold nothing against the class in itself and I'm open to using one if they're good--since they don't really have any class-inherent weaknesses like knight does aka worse than average foot move, but most of its members do disappoint me since their stats are just bad.

I like Charlotte as a character though, from what I hear so far about her personality, and her outfit becomes far better in either promoted class (Hero's one of my favorite designs in fates, in fact, and FZerker is at least a big step up from Fighter), so I'll prolly use her anyway.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I like axes as a weapon and like the fighter class enough that I try to include at least one in every play through, though I prefer the axe dracos for the most part. My favorite fighters are Barst and the first three in FE5.

The GBA Fighters are pretty bad in general, with bad speed growths/bases really hindering their long-term use, since their high strength is mitigated by their inability to double. Geitz is actually quite good, but he only exists half the time.

At least Lot, Ward, and Garcia can get speed on promotion. No speed on promotion just fucks over Dorcas and FE7!Bartre even more.

In later games, Vaike is ok I guess. Pair-up and tonics make speed problems easier to deal with in FE13 compared to the GBA games, and he has a promotion that gives speed.

FE1/FE3-1 - Barst was good, everyone else kinda blew but it's not like these games were that hard

FE4 - Johalva was pretty bad

FE5 - Oisin/Halvan were both pretty good

FE6 - Bartre hit stuff pretty hard, Lott has some select uses due to having a decent enough base speed, and Ward was trash. Gonzalez was too inaccurate in a game where axes are super inaccurate as is and WTA is only +10, and Geese was trash.

FE7 - Dorcas has good damage but too slow long term, Bartre's 3 base speed is terrible, and Geitz is pretty good. Hawkeye's good, Dart is mediocre but made of glass.

FE8 - Ross sucked, Garcia was okay as long as he became a Hero

FE9 - Boyd was great, but Largo was made of glass

FE10 - Boyd and Nolan are great

FE11/12/13 - don't know enough about these but I remember a lot of the set 2 characters in FE11 were bad except like Barst and maybe Ogma. Vaike wasn't too bad.

In most of the games, Fighters are a class I avoid.

However, I do like Arthur, Nolan, Boyd, and Orsin, and make sure to use them in every playthrough.

Generally, if a fighter has a decent speed stat and good bases, I'll be sure to use them.

I started in the GBA era, so it kind of made me biased against Fighters. So many of them had awful SPD/SKL issues that I just never bothered, only ever using Axes with promoted classes (Heros or Prepromotes) and Hector. As such, when later games game out (and when I started playing earlier games too) I automatically discounted them as viable units.

Axes got really bad since the weapon triangle kicked in IMO. Its a shame because they are high power low hit weapons so, even with the weapon advantage they can still miss... a "lot" and in a disadvantage they get rekt as hell.

Yeah, Fighter is the class that gets really screwed over, with the only good members of the class being Barst, the FE5 Fighters, Boyd, and Nolan.

As for among those guys, Barst is great and makes an excellent Hero upon promotion, while I have never played FE5 I have heard that the Fighters are some of the best units in the game, Boyd was my 2nd highest ranked unit in PoR (behind only Ike), and Nolan is a godsend in Radiant Dawn Part 1.

Yeah, it depends of the game.

FE4 : Axes users not named Lex are generally not worthwhile.

FE5 : Othin and Halvan are amazing. Dagda may be somewhta decent.

FE6 : I did play only once and didn't chosed Bartre's route. Wade and Lott seemed pretty unimpressive

FE7 : Bartre is somewhat decent, and Geitz is the best one. Dorcas is far too slow to have any use.

FE8 : Ross is better used as a Berserker. I never used Garcia.

FE13 : Vaike was a good unit. Basilio comes late but is decent enough.

I really don't have an opinion.I always used one:

Geitz in FE7

Ross in FE8

Boyd in FE9

I will use Nolan in FE10 when ever I get the game

Barst in FE11

Vaike in FE13

Charlotte in FE14

I do like them, they tend to have some of my favorite characters attached to the class but they are never my best units.I just tend to use them to have a character of each class.

Edited by Azz

I'm indifferent to them. I like axe-using classes and the concept, but they need to stop getting over-exaggerated weaknesses on a regular basis.

Theyre in a weird position IMO. Everyone can basically do their niche(high damage vs Armored unit) with no drawback attached. By design their supposed to be slow and deal huge damage, but being slow make them not deal as much damage as Pally or SM characters

Guys like Dagda.... wait Dagda isn't technically a Fighter isn't he?

Bartre from FE6 and Garcia is pretty brilliant, but others were kinda questionable mainly cuz of their growth

My FE came from the GBA games so I've had a very mixed experience with the fighter/pirate tree. I actually benched Garcia in Sacred Stones since he kept on getting doubled by everything, Pirate!Ross was able to hold his own on Chapter 7. I prefer pirates as my axe fighter due to their high speed but Geitz was a good prepromoted Warrior. Vaike was alright in Awakening and I've heard good things about Charlotte and Arthur (besides his piss poor luck).