Thoughts on Fighters?

kantoorfarina

I think this sums up my opinion of them perfectly. I also love Bartre's character so I use him in every one of my runs. I also like Vaike and Boyd, and Harold is going to be the star of FE14 for me

FE7!Bartre or FE6!Bartre ? (or both.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the game.

Akaneia games: all Axe users are pretty meh, except Barst.

FE5: Orsin and Havan may as well be Mercs with Axes. As others have said, they're quite good.

FE6: I tried to use Lott once. It didn't work out.

FE7: Never been a fan of Dorcas, but I've used Bartre and he's been okay.

FE9: Boyd is awesome.

FE10: Nolan is awesome. Weirdly, the biggest issue I had with Nolan IIRC was his Strength growth, but that may have just been down to luck.

TRS: Samson is absolutely amazing, with great stats and some decent skills. Barts has not been as useful in my experience, but he's still okay. He gets TRS charge, so that's something.

Edited by shinpichu

My least favorite axe user class in FE.

Slow and axes have hit issues. In FE6 they're absolute terrible.

In most games I ignore them.

The only exceptions:

• Othin because pugi and wrath
  • Havan because brave axe and vantage
  • FE9 Boyd because he's the only fighter and has decent growths
  • Nolan because great growths in stats most fighters usually don't have (skill, speed, resistance) and tarvos
  • FE11 Barst because his high HP makes him a wall on higher difficulties; furthermore has decent growths for FE11 standards

You're kind of right, but Arthur uses those goddess Icons better than anybody else, as aside from a -Luck Kamui, (but -Res is better) everbody has much better luck than Arthur. The offensive potential does outweigh the risks, IMO.

Well, it's not so much that I have to go that far as it is that it's only a short-term fix (and at that, one that might not even work all that well on harder difficulties). Also, I'd be much more concerned about defense.

Well, it's not so much that I have to go that far as it is that it's only a short-term fix (and at that, one that might not even work all that well on harder difficulties). Also, I'd be much more concerned about defense.

-Luck drags every stat except for speed and res down with it, whereas -Res only effects Res, Magic, and lowers speed growths by 5%. You do get more goddess icons than just those, but even 13 luck is enough to keep Arthur out of crit ranges usually.

Can someone who has played FE14 tell me if poor luck really hinders Arthur that much?

Because I don't remember luck ever mattering much at all really.

It hurts his hit a bit, and makes him more likely to get crit, but because of how plentiful goddess icons are, especially in the Nohr campaign, and that goddess icons now give +4 luck, it's quite easy to fix.

-Luck drags every stat except for speed and res down with it, whereas -Res only effects Res, Magic, and lowers speed growths by 5%. You do get more goddess icons than just those, but even 13 luck is enough to keep Arthur out of crit ranges usually.

It hurts his hit a bit, and makes him more likely to get crit, but because of how plentiful goddess icons are, especially in the Nohr campaign, and that goddess icons now give +4 luck, it's quite easy to fix.

I was speaking more about defense in Arthur's case since Barth goes and shows that a good tank is NOT one who's in constant danger of critical hits (or for that matter, a good frontliner). Also, exactly what did you mean when you said -Luck drags every stat other than Speed and Res down with it?

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I was speaking more about defense in Arthur's case since Barth goes and shows that a good tank is NOT one who's in constant danger of critical hits (or for that matter, a good frontliner). Also, exactly what did you mean when you said -Luck drags every stat other than Speed and Res down with it?

My bad, I thought you when you said you were more concerned about defence, I thought you mean -Res Kamui vs -Luck.

Arthur's not really a tank past the early game. He can take about 3-4 hits, should you raise him, and that's more than most of your units.

My bad, I thought you when you said you were more concerned about defence, I thought you mean -Res Kamui vs -Luck.

Arthur's not really a tank past the early game. He can take about 3-4 hits, should you raise him, and that's more than most of your units.

Okay. But what I really meant was I'd want someone who can reliably take hits, without the threat of eating triple damage from said hits. That said, I'm not sold on -Res being good because of the speed loss that results from that.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Probably my least favourite class group, the only one I normally use is Alm.

Only reason I touched Vaike or Basillo is for my 100% support log aspirations, whereas I completely ignored Johalva, the GBA Fighters, and the axe people in FE12.

They just don't interest me for some reason, but I'm trying Barst in my blind FE11 run because the only thing I've heard about the game beyond its interest in units dying is how good he supposedly is and I felt like doing something fresh.

Probably my least favourite class group, the only one I normally use is Alm. Only reason I touched Vaike or Basillo is for my 100% support log aspirations, whereas I completely ignored Johalva, the GBA Fighters, and the axe people in FE12. They just don't interest me for some reason, but I'm trying Barst in my blind FE11 run because the only thing I've heard about the game beyond its interest in units dying is how good he supposedly is and I felt like doing something fresh.

Should we even count Alm? he is good though

Yeah, Barst is at least decent and usable in the fighter class in FE11 if only because of his bases. He for sure outclasses the other two by quite a bit even though Bord has the C in axes.

Edited by Ambling Falchion

While I acknowledge most fighters aren't really good, I do have personal bias towards the class. Part of that might be because I really like axes, since they tend to have high might and enemies tend to have low avoid, and hand axes are a thing. Boyd and Nolan are actually good though, and Largo (looking at his averages at least, I haven't actually used him) looks pretty good as well.

Admittedly, counting him is probably really really silly given he doesn't even use axes, but I guess he could just be called an outlier or something.

Considering he is at least a fighter in name, calling him an outlier seems fair. Are there even playable axe users in Gaiden? I'm pretty sure there aren't any. Just double checked and yeah, no axe users for the friendlies.